We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Have moved, new address coming shortly, Arkenstone, Sweden
    Posts
    1,269

    Heralds? Banners? Manual???

    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/captain

    Ok, that was much info about Heralds. Can anyone point me to more resources?

    I have Heralds, I use them and I prefer my Archer. But how do I upgrade them in health and skills? Previously I could go to my Trainer, now I don't know.
    Related to this I also have them Banners, (Victory, Hope and War), made by my Tailor. How are those used? Should I select one permanently or switch as needed? Which is better in that case?

    Some posts in this forum refer to Sages? So what is that?
    Last edited by Marancil; Jan 02 2014 at 07:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/captain

    Ok, that was much info about Heralds. Can anyone point me to more resources?

    I have Heralds, I use them and I prefer my Archer. But how do I upgrade them in health and skills? Previously I could go to my Trainer, now I don't know.
    Related to this I also have them Banners, (Victory, Hope and War), made by my Tailor. How are those used? Should I select one permanently or switch as needed? Which is better in that case?

    Some posts in this forum refer to Sages? So what is that?
    To get a better Herald go up in level. They increase in level and skills/health as you do. The only extra upgrade for Heralds that exist is that you can use Armaments which give them extra armour. That is it. How heralds work have not changed recently, so what you mean by saying that you previously could go to your Trainer I don't know.

    Banners. You equip them, they give you some bonuses. Currently there does not seem to be much difference between the different banners so just pick one, and upgrade when you can.
    (Previously banners were used instead of heralds and the different types had some different effects, but no more.)

    Sages are a type of Skirmish Soldier.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    I have Heralds, I use them and I prefer my Archer. But how do I upgrade them in health and skills? Previously I could go to my Trainer, now I don't know.
    You're probably confusing heralds and skirmish soldiers. Heralds could never be upgraded at the trainer, and they just work as before (except you no longer need to equip an armament to summon them). Skirmish soldiers can still be "configured" at the skirmish camp trainer.
    Related to this I also have them Banners, (Victory, Hope and War), made by my Tailor. How are those used? Should I select one permanently or switch as needed? Which is better in that case?
    They aren't "used" anymore, but are simply a piece of gear with stats/bonuses now, like any armor/jewellry item. So you can simply equip one and forget the others, unlike before when you had all three for the different group bonuses when placing a banner (this is now done via traits independent of the equipped banner).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Have moved, new address coming shortly, Arkenstone, Sweden
    Posts
    1,269
    Ok, I am at lvl 41, the Archer has 744 / 669 health but my War Herald has 1.203 / 669 and I did that by purchasing/making Armament. I can buy/make Armaments but they only seem to be valid for one Herald at the time?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Ok, I am at lvl 41, the Archer has 744 / 669 health but my War Herald has 1.203 / 669 and I did that by purchasing/making Armament. I can buy/make Armaments but they only seem to be valid for one Herald at the time?
    Banner-wielding heralds always have (and had) more morale than an archer herald. This is not because you're equipping armaments, but because you're summoning a different kind of herald.

    Armaments only increase the armour value of your herald and give them a new cosmetic. You can summon any herald while you wield the same armament and they will use the same cosmetic. They are not only valid for one herald.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by eorl67 View Post
    Banner-wielding heralds always have (and had) more morale than an archer herald. This is not because you're equipping armaments, but because you're summoning a different kind of herald.

    Armaments only increase the armour value of your herald and give them a new cosmetic. You can summon any herald while you wield the same armament and they will use the same cosmetic. They are not only valid for one herald.
    as confirmed by rockx, the oathbreaker armaments have other hidden stats that make them the best to use, all the way up.

    equip one of those armaments, summon your chosen pet, equip preferred standard.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Teyaha View Post
    equip one of those armaments, summon your chosen pet, equip preferred standard.
    Doing that should remove the armour bonus though... I believe RockX said as much. Might not be how it actually works.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Teyaha View Post
    as confirmed by rockx, the oathbreaker armaments have other hidden stats that make them the best to use, all the way up.
    No, that's not at all what RockX confirmed. He said that Oathbreaker used to be the best because of the extra stats, but now they're simply a cosmetic choice.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Have moved, new address coming shortly, Arkenstone, Sweden
    Posts
    1,269
    I am thick. I must be, because I only get bits and pieces of the info I need/want to understand how the game works here. Must be the Mathom Helmet.´

    http://support.turbine.com/link/port...anion-Pet-FAQs ...woo i am drowning in info.

  10. #10

    Thumbs up My pet survives becauase...

    Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/captain

    Ok, that was much info about Heralds. Can anyone point me to more resources?

    I have Heralds, I use them and I prefer my Archer. But how do I upgrade them in health and skills? Previously I could go to my Trainer, now I don't know.
    Related to this I also have them Banners, (Victory, Hope and War), made by my Tailor. How are those used? Should I select one permanently or switch as needed? Which is better in that case?

    Some posts in this forum refer to Sages? So what is that?
    So it's tricky and always was tricky to keep the pet alive during combat especially with multiple foes at once. I'm happy with the current move toward more heroic combat, but it means your pet might get stung to death by mosquitoes before it's over. Here's how my pet survives...

    I play solo in the Yellow Trait line, that's my preference. It means my threat shout affects 6 nearby foes, not 1. So they all happily hack away at me. I use Noble Mark, which I think by normal standards of most MMO play, means that I'm casting a heal almost every time somebody damages me. In most MMO gamess that means I'm gathering threat. I think it also is true here, but I couldn't prove it. Basically I act like a tank. I also use the archer and he lives through 6 on 1 battles if they're teal in floating text color.

    I run around like a maniac and gather them up, shout, cast a heal because by that time, he's a bit hurt, and let them beat on me while knocking their heads together. It's great fun, and good kiting practice.

    I also always make him a shield brother and use the automatic heal/attack that protects him.

    There are also crests that a woodworker (I think) can make for your level that will buff your pet even more. Think of it as the equivalent of "Loremaster pet food."

    If your problem was "how do I reasonably keep the archer alive?" Then maybe try that. I hope it works for you.
    Last edited by gripply; Jan 06 2014 at 02:34 AM.

  11. #11
    I'm working on a lowbee cappy and am totally confused by the herald and banner. My main is a LM so I'm familiar with pet class mechanics.

    Q: What I don't understand is how to use the banner and the herald at the same time? What slots does the armament and banner go into? When I equip the armament and then the banner they swap to the same slot. I guess that each belongs in a separate slot but I don't get which goes where.

    note: this can happen for a LM if you mis-equip a sword into your main hand and then your can't get the staff and sword in the correct slots.

    Q: From this thread and others, the armaments are just cosmetics for the herald? If you leave this equipped it does nothing?

    Q: I have some basic standards but do I need to drop them on the ground to make them work? I had the impression that post-HD they just worked on equip and gave auto-aura buffs and putting them on the ground wasn't necessary. Do I still stick them on the ground and how? Is that an in-combat skill?


    TIA for cappy 411
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

    The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    I'm working on a lowbee cappy and am totally confused by the herald and banner. My main is a LM so I'm familiar with pet class mechanics.

    Q: What I don't understand is how to use the banner and the herald at the same time? What slots does the armament and banner go into? When I equip the armament and then the banner they swap to the same slot. I guess that each belongs in a separate slot but I don't get which goes where.

    note: this can happen for a LM if you mis-equip a sword into your main hand and then your can't get the staff and sword in the correct slots.
    You can only have one equipped at a time, but herald armaments only need to be equipped when summoning your herald. So equip herald armaments, summon herald, equip banner and then fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Q: From this thread and others, the armaments are just cosmetics for the herald? If you leave this equipped it does nothing?
    Armaments provide an armor boost to your herald, but do not give the captain anything. Use a banner when fighting and armaments when summoning the herald.

    Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Q: I have some basic standards but do I need to drop them on the ground to make them work? I had the impression that post-HD they just worked on equip and gave auto-aura buffs and putting them on the ground wasn't necessary. Do I still stick them on the ground and how? Is that an in-combat skill?


    TIA for cappy 411
    They provide passive bonuses from being equipped. Dropping a banner is a skill gained a few tiers into each trait line. You can drop a banner on a creature by default, and newly with 12.2, you can spend one more trait point to enable dropping banners on a spot. The bonuses for the banner depends on the trait line and are in addition to the passive bonuses for having it equipped.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RtrnofdMax View Post
    Armaments provide an armor boost to your herald, but do not give the captain anything. Use a banner when fighting and armaments when summoning the herald.
    You lose the herald armor bonus when you unequip the armaments.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    You lose the herald armor bonus when you unequip the armaments.
    Oh really? So you keep the skin but lose the armor bonus?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RtrnofdMax View Post
    Oh really? So you keep the skin but lose the armor bonus?
    I think so. It's a bit hard to test, but the way I understand it, herald armor bonus functions the way any other gear bonus does. That is, it kicks in when equipped. I haven't noticed much difference in survivability between my commoner herald and Oathbreaker herald.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload