We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I wanted to give you my money, but you wouldn't take it (30005)

After several tries with two different credit cards to upgrade to VIP status, I'm giving up on you Turbine. Your inability to offer an even moderately sophisticated Account Management system does not exactly inspire confidence in your ability to maintain a quality game. The cards I tried have been used on many different sites and with many different games without any problems. I can understand your desire to bolster security by enabling billing and IP address checking systems, but the tools you've chosen seem crude and inadequate. I verified my addresses with my credit card companies and checked my IP address with sites that I know use similary tracing technologies. Sites like weather.com and msn.com could figure out where I am. I'm not so sure that you can.

Of course, my preference from the beginning was to pay for the upgrade with PayPal. After all, that's what I'd used to buy a few points from the LOTRO Store. When I clicked on the Game Card or Other Payment Methods option, however, all I saw was Game Card and PayByCash. Huh?? First, I've never heard of PayByCash. Second, the payment options through that service are significantly more expensive. And third, why offer PayPal one place and not the other?

This experience has been thoroughly frustrating which is unfortunate because I do like your game. It was one of the best MMORPGs when you had to pay for it. It may be the best F2P game going. Unfortunately, I won't be playing it because the site you've built to pay for the game does not rise to the same level of quality.

Re: I wanted to give you my money, but you wouldn't take it (30005)

Game Time Cards, which can be redeemed for VIP time, can be purchased at store.turbine.com. PayPal is accepted as a payment method there.

You may find some useful information on updating credit card information here. If you continue to experience issues, the Account Support team is happy to take a further look into this if you contact them directly. Their contact information is in my signature.

Getting the same error when trying to buy TP via gift card:
    The system was unable to update your billing information. Please verify your billing information and try again later. If you continue to experience this error, you may wish to try another credit card or contact your issuing bank. To request further assistance, please visit support.turbine.com. [err: 30005]
    The system was unable to update your account at this time due to a system error; we apologize for the inconvenience. If this problem persists, or resulted in any issues in your account, please contact Turbine Customer Service. [err: -2]

This is the 3rd time this has happened. When I emailed Turbine Support for help, I got an email telling me to take the same steps I took 3 times the day before. I did it again, today, just to see if it would work. Nada. Tried it again. Double nada.

Very dissappointed, I'll call sometime soon, but I would really rather complete this over the internet.

Turbine is known of having a secure but VERY USER UNFRIENDLY Credit Card verification system.

I have had same problem for months and I have been looking into the issue very deep. There is a lot of possibilities which may cause 30005 error. I will try to list them all here.

Issue 1. The Credit Card you are using is not on the same name as your Turbine account. Be aware even 1 wrong/misspelled letter and you will not pass the name verification checks.

solution:
    Call your bank or any other Credit Card provider which you are using and confirm the name they have in their databases. Remember "b" and "B" is not the same thing! So make sure you know either they use capital letters and for what letters. Now go to Turbine account and compare the names. Both Turbine account and the name in the bank's database must be EXACT (eg "De'La" and "De'la" are 2 different things.

Issue 2. The address which is in your CC (credit card) provider's database is different than the one in Turbine's account. (same as Issue no.1 but for address)

solution:
    follow the solution no.1 and then confirm and compare with what you have in the turbine's account.

Issue 3. Turbine's verification system allows max 30 characters in the address lines (that includes spaces and any other special characters!).

solution:
    You might split the address to different between two address lines so they are less than 30 characters in each. It should but it's not a guarantee that this will resolve the issue.

Issue 4. The last but not least, your IP does not match your address on CC and TA (Turbine Account) address. This might be if you are in different city/region/state/country than the one you have stated. The other possibility is that you are using a proxy server which is not near your address listed in CC and TA.

There are different solutions, depends on the cause of this issue.

solution no1:
    Change both your CC and TA address to the current one where you live (this only applies if you live in different location than when you lived when created the account).

solution no2:
    Get new CC from a local bank with your current address. Change Name and Address on TA which matches exactly the new details on the new CC.

solution no3:
    If you are using proxy, for those few minutes please don't use proxy if it's possible so the verification system can confirm your IP geological location. Then after it's done you may use your proxy server again.

solution no4:
    This is NOT recommended:
    if you are living somewhere else temporarily and you don't want to do solution no.1 and no.2, you can talk to someone trusted (like a family member) which lives at the same place where you lived, to add the CC into TA.

In my case I had combination of issues no.2 and no.4...

Unfortunately, Turbine Support Crew does not help with recognizing the issue and you need to do it all by yourself. I actually think that they are not allowed to do so for a security reasons.

Regards,
    Battje
    Last edited by batttje; Nov 04 2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: formating for better reading experiences

When I upgraded to VIP status, less than a year ago, I also had problems. I'm living in Europe and at the time Turbine couldn't handle that. Finally after googling the problem I figured out that although the site would not accept my credit card information if I entered it during checkout, I could enter my credit card information under my account information, and then during checkout click use credit card associated with your account.

I decided that credit cards will be too much of a hassle for me, so I've just decided to wait till the next time I go to Wally-world, where I will pick up a $20 card and buy MoM and Lothlorien.

But really, it is very discouraging when you wish to buy straight from the store, and have to jump through all these hoops just to purchase $7 worth.... :/

Excellent info, batttje! Thanks much.
    Last edited by airsoftg36c; Nov 04 2011 at 02:55 PM.

Having the same problems here for the last week or so. Quite frankly, Turbine should be embarrassed that people are still having this problem. Yes, I live in the U.S., and yes I've tried every "solution" (to use the term very, very loosely) available. Tried two different cards, both of which have been used to pay for a LOTRO subscription in the past. No luck. 30005 error every single time.

Thumbs down

Tried all the suggestions, even verified my address. I don't know what happened I was able to buy a samwise gamgee package thingy when I first joined, now the system wont let my debit card go through. It is a little bit annoying to be honest, I ran out of ideas about what to try next.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFawkes View Post
    Tried all the suggestions, even verified my address. I don't know what happened I was able to buy a samwise gamgee package thingy when I first joined, now the system wont let my debit card go through. It is a little bit annoying to be honest, I ran out of ideas about what to try next.
    You have to contact Turbine Account Management to perform what you want done from their end. Which is what I had to do when I wanted to buy the Helms Deep expansion.

My problem is that their verification check fails. I believe it is due to my billing address being 1,000 miles from the location Turbine gets when they look up my IP --> location in a database. That is not fixable on my end.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.