We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner

The Rohan Thread

Well, there is already one for Gondor, why not one for Rohan?

Artist: Terry A. Ernest
    Description: "The men of Rohan were patrolling their borders, where upon they came across a band of Ocrs, who were making, their way back to Mordor with two Hobbits (Merry & Pippin) that they had captured. The brave young men of Rohan fell upon the Orcs and battle commenced until all the Orcs were slain The inspiration for this painting came from Led Zeppelin song “The Battle of Evermore”; the song gives the feel of the yearning and exhilaration of young men for Battle"

Artist: James Wolf
    Description: N/A

Artist: CG-Warrior of Deviant-Art

Artist: Jenny Dolfen

Post More below!
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Good idea for a thread. Much as I love Gondor my, like Tolkien's I think, is with Rohan.

The Battle of the Hornburg by Alan Lee.

Great idea.

Hopefully this thread will have a little more integrity than the Gondor thread.

Battle of the Hornburg:

Artist: Cor Blok

Artist: Darrell Sweet

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Helm's Deep:

Artist: Caitmf1 of Epilogue.net

Artist: John Howe.
    Last edited by robbie1435; Jan 01 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Edoras:

Artist: Merlkir of Deviantart

I love the pictures and cannot wait to see what other ones people find. One of the reasons I've always loved Rohan is its close affinity with the Anglo-Saxons. Tolkien once said of Beowulf in his lecture to the British Academy in 1936 that

When new Beowulf was already antiquarian, in a good sense, and it now produces a singular effect. For it is now to us itself ancient; and yet its maker was telling of things already old and weighted with regret, and he expended his art in making keen that touch upon the heart which sorrows have that are both poignant and remote. If the funeral of Beowulf moved once like the echo of an ancient dirge, far-off and hopeless, it is to us as a memory brought over the hills, an echo of an echo... it is in fact written in a language that after many centuries has still essential kinship with our own, it was made in this land, and moves in our northern world beneath our northern sky, and for those who are native to that tongue and land, it must ever call with a profound appeal—until the dragon comes....

What he said of Beowulf and the Saxons is true of Rohan as well. They are fir me the reason that I love the Two Towers, the book. Aragorn's poem "Where now the horse and the Rider?..."almost comes right out of the Wanderer. So much so that even though the word in the Wanderer, mago, means "young man" you cannot help but read it as rider. Theoden's speech before Minas Tirith echos in many ways Brythwold's speech at Maldon. Both have this... fey quality to them. A rhythm and a sense of fate pulling them onward. And of course who can forget the events just before that?

And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a #### crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn. And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin’s sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.

I do not remember how many times I have read that over the years. But each time I get there in the book and it pulls me in. And the parting between Merry and Theoden moves today as strong as it ever had. I may not have liked everything Jackson did with the movies but in other ways he did well.

The Rohirrim:

Artist: Larry Moe2012 of Deviantart

Artist: Unknown. Image taken from http://www.one-ring.co.uk/kb/img48a7dafeacc01
    Last edited by robbie1435; Jan 01 2014 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Artist: Unkown(Can anyone source, I can't find an artist).
    None other than John Howe himself, The Charge of the Rohirrim at Helm's Deep.

Even though this is a representation of Gondorian artwork/design, the Rohirrim paid just as much of a part, since the Argonath can be said to represent the alliance between Gondor and Rohan.
    This idea I'd contest. How can something built over a thousand years before the establishment of Rohan be said to represent an alliance with it?
    Turbine-created Cuthstan ("Known Stone") in the Great River, on the other hand...
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

Good luck with the thread.

Here my addition to your thread

DernHelm and Merry "Ride of the Rohirrim"

Also don't forget to stop by:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...r-thread/page6

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    None other than John Howe himself, The Charge of the Rohirrim at Helm's Deep.

This idea I'd contest. How can something built over a thousand years before the establishment of Rohan be said to represent an alliance with it?
    Turbine-created Cuthstan ("Known Stone") in the Great River, on the other hand...
    Thanks for sourcing, I couldn't find the artist!

Good point... Hmm... I'll take that one down,

Artist: Jenny Dolfen
    Sons of Rohan, depicting Éomer with his son Elfwine the Fair, grandson of Prince Imrahil, the Lord of Dol Amroth, via his daughter Lothíriel. The design of the garb is intentionally similar to the movies, even if the artist preferred their own interpretation over Karl Urban's Éomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Meluihel View Post
    ---Aragorn's poem "Where now the horse and the Rider?..."---
    Apologies for picking nits, but...
    Not Aragorn's poem. Thus, according to him "spoke a forgotten poet long ago in Rohan --- So men still sing in the evening."
    But yeah... Tolkien 'borrowed' that from the Wanderer.
    Last edited by Daeross; Jan 02 2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: ETA: nitpicking doesn't validate another post :)
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

Théoden by John Howe

Helmet found at archaeological dig at Sutton Hoo. Excellently preserved example of Anglo-Saxon armoury.

Merry and Pippin in Fanghorn by Allan Lee