We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Quick Name Question for Man of Bree

I know it says that Bree names are generally short English names, but would a German name be out of the question? Wanted to name my character Heidemarie as that's the name I use for almost all my characters in games, but I didn't want to catch hell for using a lore-unfriendly name.

And are surnames done in-game or have I just not gotten to that part of the character creation?

Sorry, I'm both new to this game and to LoTR RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kottery View Post
    I know it says that Bree names are generally short English names, but would a German name be out of the question? Wanted to name my character Heidemarie as that's the name I use for almost all my characters in games, but I didn't want to catch hell for using a lore-unfriendly name.

And are surnames done in-game or have I just not gotten to that part of the character creation?

Sorry, I'm both new to this game and to LoTR RP.
    While a good name I think that would fit someone from Dale or Rohan better. Since both use Old English and Old Norse as foundations and those are of Germanic origin, at least Old English is. When you think of English names for Breelanders think of names from the time of Elizabeth I onward, say the 15th to the early 20th centuries?

As for surnames they are done in game. There's one in Bree, as well as other places. For a list of their locations you can check out the lotro-wiki page.

I think you need to be level 15 to assign a surname through any 'Notary' NPC.

Meluihel is quite correct, but you might also think of the Beornings living in middle-Anduin (I'd use the 'Dale' background).

HoG

Quote Originally Posted by Harper_of_Gondolin View Post
    I think you need to be level 15 to assign a surname through any 'Notary' NPC.

Meluihel is quite correct, but you might also think of the Beornings living in middle-Anduin (I'd use the 'Dale' background).

HoG
    Yes that is not a bad idea either. Nice thinking.

This might not be the best, but I tend to use some of the names from Iron Crown Enterprise's "Middle-Earth Roleplaying" line, and especially the one for Arnor. My character, Calimendil Calastir uses the name of a fictious King of Cardolan, and a fictious Ernildom (Principality), that of Dol Calistar. I developed a background for him, but... it's three paragraphs long!

He is distantly related to the late brother's widow of MERP King Calimendil of Cardolan. Both died childless. Surion, the king's brother's widow went on to be married and widowed four times. Under Cardolani law she held title in her own right, and since my character is so distantly related to her second husband, he has no claim to the throne of either the Kingdom of Cardolan nor the Principality of Dol Calastir.

So... use a name that seems suitable. There are many resources for names in Tolkien's works. I'd just always liked Cardolan.

--CC. (for Calimendil Calastir)