We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bumping to get on top of spam
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Ditto.....
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

Helms Deep battle system was my exit event for LOTRO

hope it disappears faster than Coke Zero and new level 95 content added. Until then enjoying Neverwinter

Got to it last month on my level 95. Disliked it so much I ran away and started a bunch of new alts on another server*. I understand what people are saying, it gets easy to the point of boredom, but there is not enough direction and after finding myself saying 'where am I supposed to go?" for the tenth time, I give up. Yes, running it with someone who knows it would be great, but not everyone can do that.

*Part of it was my being clueless about the new trait system, so I decided to start from scratch on a few classes.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

Love LOTRO, Hate Helm's Deep

I was so glad to find this thread and discover I'm not the only one that thinks the Helm's Deep instances are, in the words of the OP, 'utter ribbish'. When new content comes out, I like to dive in and play it over and over till it is as as comfortable and fun as the rest of the game (ie. WarSteeds). After running Helm's Dike about 6 times and doing no better and often worse with each successive attempt, I know now that it isn't me. I actually came out of the tutorial excited and thinking I knew what to do, boy was I wrong. As a warden, I expected that I'd do best in the Vangard, the problem with this is that you can't get a single killstreak when the mob you're fighting is killed my an NPC. As a warden, you also expect that you can get aggro from time to time but every enemy coming over the walls, up the culvert or whatever is completely immune to aggro. They run right by and ignore you beating on them. Even the skill to force all nearby enemies to aggro you is utterly ineffective. It is not reasonable to change the combat mechanics that the game has used for 6+ years without providing the possibility of strategies to counter them.
    Next, what is up with NPCs that stand around doing the Valar knows what? They chase one mob and when that one is dead, they stand there picking their nose not 3 feet from where I'm failing miserably at protecting an archer from 15 orcs that just made a beeline for him ignoring soldiers and blockades along the way.
    So far, the most fun has been standing on the towers firing ballistae and catapults and seeing the little bodies fly ... which helps not a whit with the overall quest or the side quests.

I'll be finishing the quests needed to complete the Epic and, unless Helm's Deep is reworked, never look back.

To the LOTRO devs, Hytbold was very cool. Wildermore was pretty sweet (except that the entire region should have melted after defeating the last boss). Helm's Deep ... feels like an attempt to punish us.

Really?

You Think this is too complicated?? What do you Think is so hard about it? Just defend and when quest pops up look at the map... Nothing hard about that, or complicated.
    If you find it so hard look up a tutorial on forums or something, its Always been like this. The first time you try an instance it isnt very succesful, because you need to learn the tactics. So play them a few times and you will find out its not that complicated. Now balance is Another issue, its not well balanced for solo. Its much more fun and balanced if you play them duo or with bigger Groups.

just invite someone experienced to run them with you.

Quote Originally Posted by yafga View Post
    You Think this is too complicated?? What do you Think is so hard about it? Just defend and when quest pops up look at the map... Nothing hard about that, or complicated.
    If you find it so hard look up a tutorial on forums or something, its Always been like this. The first time you try an instance it isnt very succesful, because you need to learn the tactics. So play them a few times and you will find out its not that complicated. Now balance is Another issue, its not well balanced for solo. Its much more fun and balanced if you play them duo or with bigger Groups.

just invite someone experienced to run them with you.
    Different people have different comfort levels of what they think is hard so I don't have a problem with them believing it's too complicated. Personally I think the whole BB mechanic system is a mess. There's no mini-map to tell you where you're supposed to be. The little buttons that appear on the map can be confusing and may seem like you should go one way when in fact you are instantly killed by taking what appears to be the logical route. When you're new you don't have much in the way of ability to interact with anything, and depending on your class you may be rather useless in there. Repeatedly doing something where you fail doesn't encourage player satisfaction, especially when you're making an effort to succeed in a properly sized instance that theoretically is designed for you to be able to win medals at varying levels. I have a R6 Engineer on my minstrel, but my captain refuses to even finish the epic line after going in a few times and totally failing.

Since BBs were touted as solo content I don't think it's reasonable to tell them to "just invite somebody" (with the implication quit whining/learn to play) - I do think it's reasonable to expect it to be balanced the way Turbine advertised. A solo BB should be able to be accomplished .... solo. Duo should simply make it easier.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

I can't speak for anyone else. I found the solo versions of all the Big Battles extremely easy even when using a character that had 0 points spent. I did all the Big Battles without reading anything. The few failures were amusing to me because I did not know what was going on. I was giggling and laughing in Helms Dike when first flaming ball landed on me. I did not get the importance of "They have siege weapons".

I completed Battle of Hornburg for a Bronze - the last Big Battle with one of my characters without doing anything. I tried this Big Battle when the servers were sick. I could not move. Could not issue any commands. My Bog Lurker would not attack anything.

I found the first one to be very easy with two. I ended up getting 4 Platinum Medals because I was teamed up with a higher rank Engineer - rank 5 or 6. I was a rank 0 Officer.

The part that is hard to get used to is that you are not playing your class. You are playing a Engineer, Officer or Vanguard. The solo Big Battles are designed to be completed with no capability as a Engineer, Officer or Vanguard. You may not get many medal points. You will get it done.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2