We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Mini or RK?

Mini or RK?

Which is better overall, mini or rk, I don't know which one to create and also, which race is the most suitable for these classes

Quote Originally Posted by Kellzarr View Post
    Which is better overall, mini or rk, I don't know which one to create and also, which race is the most suitable for these classes
    Both are great classes. Both can do good DPS and both can heal, though the RK cannot really do both at once. I love my RK, she is just a great over all character. t the same time I think the Minstrel will always win out for me. Part of that is the lore, RK's simply don't make sense however much I enjoy the class. Honestly? I really suggest starting both. Level each up to 15-20ish and that will give you a good idea of what each is like.

In regard to race choice, pick whichever looks appealing to you. All races can be a Minstrel, only Elves and Dwarves can be Runekeepers. Racial abilities don't mean much.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

Roughly generalized, the difference between a Mini and a RK is in the way they heal.
    A Mini's heals grant morale instantly.
    A RK has Heals-over-Time, HoTs, rather than instants.

But that's a very rough generalization...
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

At this point they are balanced pretty similarly in the glass canon/healer characteristics. I enjoy the musician and instrument tutoring abilities on my Mini but I see very little advantage in actual gameplay in choosing one over the other.

My bad. Haven't been playing with my RKs/Minis nearly enough after HD came out...
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

There may be another consideration. If you do not have the Moria expansion, or have not purchased the RK separately, you may not have the option of an RK. It (and Warden) are premium classes.

Assuming that does not matter, they play somewhat differently, but have much the same role. Minstrel is very powerful right now, but I have not really played with my RK to make an accurate comparison. Do you like yelling at things or burning them with fire and lightning?
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

The mounted combat is also much different, just something to keep in mind for later. I've played with the mounted combat a bit on both but not as much with the RK as I have with the Minstrel so if my description is a bit off please correct it. With the Minstrel I find that, apart from bloody archers..., I can solo almost any warband out there. I've been having fun taking on fellow warbands a level or two above me without too much trouble. Since you can do damage, heal and restore power. All you have to do is switch between the three disciplines on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    My bad. Haven't been playing with my RKs/Minis nearly enough after HD came out...
    actually you were right. minstrels have a tiny hot associated with a couple of heals, and one true HoT (Soliloquy of sprit.). Rks have mostly hots an one or two instant heals/bubbles. Minis tend to be reactive, RKs pro-active healers-even after HD.

Due to being able to spam bolster courage/TS aoe heal over and over in blue spec, since HD, Mini's healing is completely over-powered and utterly basic and boring. (I play a minstrel before anyone flames me and this is the consensus of the class threads and the PVP threads-not just my opinion.) So if you want to heal while afk roll a mini. But be warned we can't manage our healing threat. Minstrel healing goes Bolster/feign death Bolster Bolster bolster/feign death. yawn.

RKs do much higher crits in lightening than minstrels can in dps, and can also use these skills on the move, like dps minis. RK's have big aoe and damage over time in their fire line.

Minis do great burst damage while being able to self heal (hence the claims their dps is op in PvP) Minis dps is also likely to be nerfed majorly, when the class rebalance happens. It was non existant in Beta- and given a massive boost with HD launch because we could not even solo on level mobs in the last Beta tests. It is most likely to drop further after the class rebalance. At the moment it is actually the 4th from bottom in dps over any length of time. This has been tested again in bullroarer recently (12.2) through multiple parses.

Mounted combat on minstrels is fun, though. Pretty much as described as below.

So if you want a truely viable dps alternative in a group, and to be able to heal, roll a RK-they are much more fun/flexible and much more likely to stay that way. If you want a viable solo class which is simple to heal with and not premium -roll a minstrel.

I have 2 minstrels and it's my main class-and an RK i am loving much more these days,-just so you know.
    Last edited by Calta; Jan 22 2014 at 09:18 PM.
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]