We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: "Light" Shields

3 Fountain Street, Towerglan, Bree-land Homesteads, Arkenstone, Sweden

"Light" Shields

So I have been looking at AH, Skirmish Camp Light Armour / Medium Armour, a couple of Faction Rewards guys, but I find hardly any "Light" Shields? Got Brudhraws Fall at 246 armour, but surely it must be possible to find a better one at level 40 and as Kindred with both Bree and Eglain? Somehow?
    Not even in the Store.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Arkenstone
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite 71 GRD, Armourer | Tarostel 54 HNT, Armsman | Angredeth 95 HNT, Tinker

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    So I have been looking at AH, Skirmish Camp Light Armour / Medium Armour, a couple of Faction Rewards guys, but I find hardly any "Light" Shields? Got Brudhraws Fall at 246 armour, but surely it must be possible to find a better one at level 40 and as Kindred with both Bree and Eglain? Somehow?
    Not even in the Store.
    I would recommend you look at crafted. Honestly though a shield is just going to slow down your leveling. A nice 2h halberd will provide the largest benefit for you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820a00000000548a/01001/signature.png]Nerobus[/charsig]

well I do have one,

but it still annoys me not being able to find a better shield...combined with a westerness sword it works very well against wights and such
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman

On the one hand, the stats on your shield don't matter too much while you're leveling, and any old shield will allow you to block. But on the other hand, it is nice to improve your stats as you level, and light shields with stats good for captains are few and far between.

I would suggest asking your kin members or players on glff or the trade channel if they can craft you a better shield. It is not a highly sought item--most captains don't use shields while leveling--and most metalsmiths probably don't bother crafting them for sale on the auction house. But it usually is pretty easy to craft, so you should be able to get a good one if you ask nicely enough.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

at your level unless you are trying to 'tank' as something other than leader of men, you do not need a shield. the only thing a shield gives you is critical defense and higher stats overall than useing a 2h legendary later on. they rarely have any block rating on them from my experience though, that seems to be mostly prevalent on heavy shields which we can't use.

light shields were designed mostly for minstrels, which is why most of the ones you find have might+will, because that class can't use 2h weapons. captains were fashioned after aragorn and although we have access to halberds, it's all about tanking the orcs with anduril.

since they removed the need of a shield for any HoH traits - and pre 57 assuming you do all of the class books and the two class quests from boromir at 50 you should be HoH or LtC, LoM doesn't exceed HoH and LtC in solo efficiency and HoH in survivability until you have 30 trait points - there is no real reason to use a shield unless you have one with an exceptional amount of pure tanking stats on it and a great 1h legendary

Generally as a lvl 40 you should be able to find good gear the following places:
    Evendim reputation trader (outside the big building on Tinnudir)
    Skirmish camp Classic Vendor -> Fornost items

Note: most of the item linked here has higher stats ingame than shown on the wiki.
    As for 2h weapon these might be interesting for you
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...'s_Halberd
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Skulltapper
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...d_of_the_Watch

As for shield I think the best one for lvl 40 is the crafted one:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...ernesse_Shield
    but other choice could be:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...he_Fading_West

Tinnudir is of course one of the few guys I did not check. Looks real interesting. Thanks.
    I will check with Kin. "SUMMONS KINSHIP FIST OF FATE"

And yes, one has an obligation to get the best gear, right...

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Tinnudir is of course one of the few guys I did not check. Looks real interesting. Thanks.
    I will check with Kin. "SUMMONS KINSHIP FIST OF FATE"

And yes, one has an obligation to get the best gear, right...
    The Tinnudir vendors has some really nice stuff for level 40s. One of the few (pre-Moria) rep vendors where the items are still useful by the time you can buy them.
    You must get Kindred with the Wardens of Annuminas first for the best stuff, but that is not very difficult at all. Just do quests in Evendim and you will become Kindred in no time.