We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New to Captain. . .

Hello, I just started leveling a brand new shiny Captain. . .level 11.

I am enjoying him the most out of all the characters I've leveled so far. . .I'm new to LotRO, so I'm looking to get most classes to level 20 and see which I like best.

Right now my main question is, what are the main abilities I should be looking for on armor and weapons? I would say "Might" would be my first, but just guessing here. Then "Vitality". . .I don't know for sure, please set me straight.

As for the Trait Tree, is there a better "tree" to focus on? I like dealing MELEE damage as opposed to ranged or AOE. I think I picked the "Red" one for now.

In regards to weapons, my quest rewards are always giving me two handed weapons. . . can I DW, or are two handed weapons the way to go with the Captains?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'll go look on Lotro Wiki for some answers too. . .but I see on the site "this information might be outdated" a lot. . .so I'm hesitant to believe the info provided at times.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxammer View Post

I am enjoying him the most out of all the characters I've leveled so far. . .I'm new to LotRO, so I'm looking to get most classes to level 20 and see which I like best.

Right now my main question is, what are the main abilities I should be looking for on armor and weapons? I would say "Might" would be my first, but just guessing here. Then "Vitality". . .I don't know for sure, please set me straight.

As for the Trait Tree, is there a better "tree" to focus on? I like dealing MELEE damage as opposed to ranged or AOE. I think I picked the "Red" one for now.

In regards to weapons, my quest rewards are always giving me two handed weapons. . . can I DW, or are two handed weapons the way to go with the Captains?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'll go look on Lotro Wiki for some answers too. . .but I see on the site "this information might be outdated" a lot. . .so I'm hesitant to believe the info provided at times.

Thanks again.

Might increases your physical and tactical damage. It is your primary main stat. Vitality improves your hit points and tactical resist. It is your secondary stat.

Red will provide you with the most damage. Blue is for healing and yellow is for tanking.

Captain cannot dual wield. The captain has a unique weapon called the halberd. You get a passive that increases damage dealt with halberds by 5%. You will do the most damage with a halberd.

Lotro wiki has not been updated since helms deep.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820a00000000548a/01001/signature.png]Nerobus[/charsig]

Hello there and welcome to LOTRO! First off, let me just say Captain is a fantastic versatile class, so you have chosen well. To answer your questions:

For now while leveling, just search for gear with Might and Vitality. As the person above me stated, Might is your main stat & Vitality is your secondary. However, later on in the game you may want to min/max using other stats to suit your particular build. Don't worry about this for now.

If you are looking to melee dps, red is the way to go on the trait tree. Blue lends itself more to healing, as yellow does to tanking. However, while leveling feel free to try different variations as it really doesn't matter until you start partying. I personally really enjoy blue for questing. Captain has no range dps focus, and primarily uses two-handers. Some tank cappies on the forums swear by sword and board, but it doesn't seem to be the vocal majority. I personally prefer two-hand swords with Man racial over other weapons. Cappy cannot dual-wield.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any more questions. Happy hunting!

I'd rate Fate and flat crit bonuses higher than Vitality, but that's just me.

Thanks again.
    as someone who also made a new captain on a new server ie. i have no high levels to feed it gear and money, this is my advice:

1) until you have 30 trait points, use red line for regular mobs and blue line for small and even full fellowship quest soloing. red is the fastest regular mob and lowest power use tree, blue is the most survivable until you can make shield brother abilities also affect yourself, even though the blue line can't block without a shield. once you have 30 trait points, LoM becomes your best tree for soloing tough mobs that you can't handle in red.

2) stats - MIght>>>>fate>physical mastery>vitality>everything else for leveling. what works at 95 is not necessarily what you want at 55. fate because the class has power issues until very late game, especially if you don't have many virtues to help.

3) we can not dual wield. the class is designed after aragorn even including his banner bearer from the books (our heralds). You have a choice - halberds, which attack the slowest of all weapons (can be a huge in moria with the sheer amount of attack speed debuffing mobs nearly nullifying your ability to use battle-hardened), and 2h swords. although the class can use axes and clubs, the class gets a 5% dmg passive for halberds and a 5% racial passive dmg boost to swords. Stick to these. Use 2h swords unless you can't find one. Your first legendary is a halberd, your next should be a 2h sword. when you hit 95 you will likely have both weapons but before rohan the damage difference between both weapons is negligible compared to the attack speed difference and 2% parry

4) be an explorer. pick up and sell everything. especially if you are on landroval or brandywine.

5) legendary items - prioritize melee power costs, melee healing bonus (after 30 trait points), sure strike damage, inspire damage, blade of elendil damage and bleed damage while leveling. make sure that when you unlock your legendary that you IMMEDIATELY hit the auction house and buy any other captain level-appropriate legendaries and equip them in your legendary slots immediately to level them up. don't deconstruct them until they hit level 30. when you hit level 55, replace them with level 55's and higher. when you hit 65/75/85 repeat.
    Last edited by Teyaha; Dec 27 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks again.

Your main stat is Might, so you should focus on that. Vitality is also nice but don't focus too much on that (unless you will be tanking, but don't bother about that until higher levels)
    Crit rating is also quite important for Captains. You can either get raw Crit rating from some items, or you can get it from Fate and to a lesser extent from Agility.

The trait trees are basically Red = DPS ; Blue = Healing ; Yellow = Tanking. They are all melee oriented (Captains don't get much in the way of ranged skills.)

For levelling purposes I suggest you stick to the Red tree. Killing enemies will be faster that way. For extra hard situations you might want to switch to Blue or Yellow for extra survivability.

Captains cannot dual-wield, but eventually (at level 15 or 20) you will get the ability to wield a shield. Then you can choose between a 2H weapon or 1H+shield.
    Most of the time you are probably best off with 2H weapons, but perhaps not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Teyaha View Post
    You have a choice - halberds, which attack the slowest of all weapons (can be a huge in moria with the sheer amount of attack speed debuffing mobs nearly nullifying your ability to use battle-hardened)
    I've got no idea where you got this. This is not true. All weapon speeds are standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    I've got no idea where you got this. This is not true. All weapon speeds are standardized.
    It used to be true. The weapon speeds got normalized during the Mirkwood expansion. It's understandable if some old-school players still remember the days of slow, hard-hitting halberds.

Quote Originally Posted by erikthe10man View Post
    It used to be true. The weapon speeds got normalized during the Mirkwood expansion. It's understandable if some old-school players still remember the days of slow, hard-hitting halberds.
    I guess I'm just surprised they still do -- Mirkwood was happened quite a while ago.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by ssslippy View Post
    You will do the most damage with a halberd.
    That is not completely true. Since human is the only race with the ability to play captain, if you trait for the 1 handed and 2 handed +5% sword damage bonus, Halbreds, 1H Swords, and 2H swords will have, practically, equal damage output, percentage wise.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    That is not completely true. Since human is the only race with the ability to play captain, if you trait for the 1 handed and 2 handed +5% sword damage bonus, Halbreds, 1H Swords, and 2H swords will have, practically, equal damage output, percentage wise.
    It kinda is true. Even with the +5% bonus negated Halberds have +2% crit chance on auto attacks, so Halberds should be doing more damage than swords. The difference is surely very, very small but still in favor of Halberds.