We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    "There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Luthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dur; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, ######## of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood. But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world."

Thanks for finding this! Tolkien's description gave the impression that she was a force to be reckoned with.

I love this part. "But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world."
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

My favorite, from the Hobbit:

"I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking." -The Hobbit, or There and Back Again Riddles in the Dark

I've always liked this line, with its undertones. I like the undertones the most actually.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMuerto View Post
    My favorite, from the Hobbit:

"I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking." -The Hobbit, or There and Back Again Riddles in the Dark

I've always liked this line, with its undertones. I like the undertones the most actually.

Which part of the book is that? I'm going through my memory right now since I read The Hobbit once a year and I cannot place that quote.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Which part of the book is that? I'm going through my memory right now since I read The Hobbit once a year and I cannot place that quote.
    It's from Riddles in the Dark, the narrator says it when Bilbo struggles to answer the fish riddle.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921d0000000484b3/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by TopGearSH View Post
    It's from Riddles in the Dark, the narrator says it when Bilbo struggles to answer the fish riddle.

/Facepalm. I cannot believe I could not remember that. Thanks for answering!

This one always stuck in my mind. “His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post

This one always stuck in my mind. “His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted.”
    Yes..That one is surely my second favourite
    "I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking."
    [The Hobbit, or There and Back Again; Riddles in the Dark]

Uglúk u bagronk sha pushdug Saruman-glob búbhosh-skai
    Please read the post overhead and understand it fully before responding with overwhelming negativity to opinions you have no personal interest in, but still want to complain about. Don't troll the feeders. Great, you acknowledge the need to apologize, but I don't see an actual apology anywhere. Are you a politician by any chance? - xandervix_tog.

From Two Towers (Movie)

Frodo Baggins: I can't do this Sam.

Sam Gamgee: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

From Return of the King (Movie)

“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.

GANDALF: No. No, it is not.”
    Last edited by MoxieMe; Jun 16 2014 at 02:27 AM.

Pippin: "Besides, you need people of intelligence on this sort of adventure... quest... thing."
    Merry: "Well that rules you out, Pip."
    -The Fellowship of the Ring

Gimli: "You'll have to toss me."
    *pause*
    Gimli: "Don't tell the Elf."
    Aragorn: "Not a word."
    -The Two Towers

Eowyn: "I am no man." (AHAHAHAHAHAHA! IN YOUR FACE!)
    -Return of the King
    Last moanains siimsalit din alevon im: Though we are parted, my love will be with you.

"My dear Bilbo,
    the blue mountains are of themselves blue mountains;
    The white clouds are of themselves white clouds."

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Mine is actually an entire poem:

"Sing hey! for the bath at close of day
    that washes the weary mud away!
    A loon is he that will not sing:
    O! Water Hot is a noble thing!

O! Sweet is the sound of falling rain,
    and the brook that leaps from hill to plain;
    but better than rain or rippling streams
    is Water Hot that smokes and steams.

O! Water cold we may pour at need
    down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;
    but better is Beer if drink we lack,
    and Water Hot poured down the back.

O! Water is fair that leaps on high
    in a fountain white beneath the sky;
    but never did fountain sound so sweet
    as splashing Hot Water with my feet!"

This was sung by Pippin when the hobbits bathed at the Crickhollow. (Don't remember exact chapter, sorry)
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2