We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Your favourite quotes from the LotR trilogy?

My personal favourites are (all from Gimli, such a witty character);

FotR- "Not the beard!" -When Legolas grabs his beard to stop him from falling in Moria.
    TT- "If we had time, I'd get this adjusted." *Chainmail drops to the floor* "It's a little tight across the chest" -Preparing for the Battle for Helms Deep.
    RotK- "That still only counts as 1!" -After Legolas takes down the Oliphant

I would like to see what your personal favourite lines are from the trilogy.

"Not all those who wander are lost"

from the poem "All That is Gold Does Not Glitter", The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 10, "Strider"

Just 'FYI' to the community,

All of the quotes offered in the OP are from the movie trilogy, only: they do not exist in any material written by JRR Tolkien.

As "movie" is nowhere specified in thread-title or OP-content, I wish to establish simply the clarification, admittedly as nit-picky as it is.

HoG

Here is one of my favorite quotes: From the foreword to the second edition:

“I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experiences of readers. I think that many confuse ‘applicability’ with ‘allegory’; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purported domination of the author."

J. R. R. Tolkien

This is from Gimli as well from the movie LOTR: Two Towers.

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except for the consistency of squirrel droppings?"

This is now from the book, "Fellowship of the Ring" from Meriadoc Brandybuck.

"It was a compliment and so, of course, not true."

This is from Gildor Inglorion from "Fellowship of the Ring".

"But it is not your own Shire. Others dwelt here before Hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6
    Meneldor Freeps and Creeps: Cambanod, Cpt

Pippin: “where’re we goin’?”

The Return of the King; Chapter IX; The Last Debate - Aragorn: "We choose to go to Mordor in this decade, and do the other thing. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
    Last edited by RKL; Dec 23 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RKL View Post
    The Return of the King; Chapter IX; The Last Debate - Aragorn: "We choose to go to Mordor in this decade, and do the other thing. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
    I thought that was JFK

One that always seems to bring a tear to my eye:

And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000028d49/01003/signature.png]Charloborn[/charsig]

One of my favourite quotes, from Théoden,

"Oft evil will shall evil mar".

I have been tempted to incorporate this into a signature.

HoG

Excellent HoG! I knew you were a good girl

My favorite quote:
    Gandalf was shorter in stature than the other two; but his long white hair, his sweeping silver beard, and his broad shoulders, made him look like some wise king of ancient legend. In his aged face under great snowy brows his dark eyes were set like coals that could leap suddenly into fire. The Fellowship of the Ring, Many Meetings

Many favourites are already mentioned-but this is the reason i play a minstrel.

".... the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold, and all men were hushed. And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”
    Describing the lay of 'Frodo of the Nine Fingers and The Ring of Doom''. (Return of the King.)
    Last edited by Calta; Feb 26 2014 at 05:18 AM.

"And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a <insert word for rooster that the forum hates> crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

I got a chill at 12 when I first read those lines, and I still do to this day every time I read them, nearly thirty years later. The ride of the Rohirrim is my favorite scene in any fictional battle I've ever read.

My favorite is how Tolkien introduces Shelob. I forget the exact words but he wrote almost a paragraph describing who she was and where she came from. He transformed her from generic monster # 438,835 into a villian with a personality.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    My favorite is how Tolkien introduces Shelob. I forget the exact words but he wrote almost a paragraph describing who she was and where she came from. He transformed her from generic monster # 438,835 into a villian with a personality.
    "There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Luthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dur; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, ######## of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood. But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world."

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    "There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Luthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dur; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, ######## of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood. But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world."

Thanks for finding this! Tolkien's description gave the impression that she was a force to be reckoned with.

I love this part. "But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world."
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Pippin: "Besides, you need people of intelligence on this sort of adventure... quest... thing."
    Merry: "Well that rules you out, Pip."
    -The Fellowship of the Ring

Gimli: "You'll have to toss me."
    *pause*
    Gimli: "Don't tell the Elf."
    Aragorn: "Not a word."
    -The Two Towers

Eowyn: "I am no man." (AHAHAHAHAHAHA! IN YOUR FACE!)
    -Return of the King