We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question about Frodo leaving the Shire

Well, I am into the Fellowship of the Ring right now(I have read the books annually since 1983). There is one thing I have always wondered.

I am at the part where Frodo, Sam and Pippin met up with the High Elves in the Shire after seeing one of the Nazgul on the road. Why were the elves going the same direction as Frodo and Co.? I always thought that Elves in that part of the world were traveling West to jump on a ship and not come back.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Well, I am into the Fellowship of the Ring right now(I have read the books annually since 1983). There is one thing I have always wondered.

I am at the part where Frodo, Sam and Pippin met up with the High Elves in the Shire after seeing one of the Nazgul on the road. Why were the elves going the same direction as Frodo and Co.? I always thought that Elves in that part of the world were traveling West to jump on a ship and not come back.
    By the sound of it they were on what you might call a farewell tour, tarrying a while before making their way to the Havens.

I'm doing another read through myself too. I believe Gildor says that his group is only 'tarrying a while' and still have kin in Rivendell. I think that's about it.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Oh I get it, you mean they're having a road trip before it's time to go!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Oh I get it, you mean they're having a road trip before it's time to go!
    Maybe having a Shire pub crawl since they were in the area too!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Visiting old haunts and saying goodbye. Frodo's doing the same thing, really. Lingering before he has to leave.

I don't recall thinking about direction of movement at the time. (For that matter, I didn't even remember that the encounter with the Nazgul came before they ran into the elves.) Consider, though, that the presence of the Nazgul forced the hobbits to deviate from the route they had been on, so maybe their revised route briefly coincided with the elves' before they could pick up an eastward path again. I don't believe that the Bucklebury Ferry and the Old Forest were in their plans when they set out. There may have been some westward backtracking as they skirted the Water to get to the Marish.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    I don't believe that the Bucklebury Ferry and the Old Forest were in their plans when they set out.
    The hobbits were going to Buckland to Frodo's new house, so the Ferry was their destination. They did follow the Elves east towards the Woody End.

As to the Elves, their definition of "tarrying for while" is on a different time scale from our perception. Gildor may have been "tarrying" for centuries for all we know. There have been mentions of Elves passing through the Shire on a regular basis before, consider Bilbo meeting with them occasionally.

-I always thought that Elves in that part of the world were traveling West to jump on a ship and not come back.
    That's what they'd been doing... pretty much since leaving Cuiviénen.
    But Gildor and company had been on a road trip to gaze into the palantír held in Elostirion, the highest of the White Towers west of the Shire. It was a sort of elven pilgrimage, for that palantír couldn't communicate with the rest (and was thus safe to gaze into), only look westwards, over the Sundering Seas. Gildor's company was but one of the 'Wandering Companies'; there's a suggestion there were many of them, here and there, enough for Gildor to dare promise to spread word about the Hobbits' journey.
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    That's what they'd been doing... pretty much since leaving Cuiviénen.
    But Gildor and company had been on a road trip to gaze into the palantír held in Elostirion, the highest of the White Towers west of the Shire. It was a sort of elven pilgrimage, for that palantír couldn't communicate with the rest (and was thus safe to gaze into), only look westwards, over the Sundering Seas. Gildor's company was but one of the 'Wandering Companies'; there's a suggestion there were many of them, here and there, enough for Gildor to dare promise to spread word about the Hobbits' journey.

That makes a ton of sense.

That makes a ton of sense.
    I dunno...reckon it's more like 2,000 pounds of sense.