We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Deciding between Rune Keeper and Hunter

Hello there so title says it all. I plan on trying to do end game at some point and chose the Rune keeper so far for the dps/heal combo so I have the option to do one or the other. The hunter class seems like it can be a lot of fun but I know there are most likely tons of them so getting into raids or end game content could be a problem. However I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is and which class you guys would choose between the two.

I have a Rune Keeper already at level 15 and its enjoyable so far but have not started a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets1987 View Post
    Hello there so title says it all. I plan on trying to do end game at some point and chose the Rune keeper so far for the dps/heal combo so I have the option to do one or the other. The hunter class seems like it can be a lot of fun but I know there are most likely tons of them so getting into raids or end game content could be a problem. However I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is and which class you guys would choose between the two.

I have a Rune Keeper already at level 15 and its enjoyable so far but have not started a hunter.
    The problem with finding groups as a hunter actually has little to do with there being so many. Rather it is that many hunter give the class a bad rep in groups. They think they can play as they do in solo shooting everything in sight with reckless abandon. In a group you have to stay on target and pace your dps so you do not take aggro from the tank. Once you know your skills and how to play the class in instances you should have no trouble finding groups, once people get to know you.

RK's are a lot of fun to though. And you might enjoy the levelling more on them. Honestly it depends on what your play style is.

I've raided as a hunter and a healer before so honestly I can do both. It's the same in wow though so many hunters = more chances of there being really bad hunters which screws over the few good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets1987 View Post
    I've raided as a hunter and a healer before so honestly I can do both. It's the same in wow though so many hunters = more chances of there being really bad hunters which screws over the few good ones.
    Exactly. I know a few Hunters who know how to play the class well and they never have trouble finding groups.

When it comes to leveling they can be fun too, I love my hunter even though she's still only in the mid 80's. For me though the hunter is too simple of a class. Its great when you want to relax, or if you enjoy running around pew pewing things. So I tend to enjoy the more complext classes, like the RK

I'm probably not the best person to be replying here because my hunter is level 60 and my RK is around level 14.

I don't do a lot of group play in the game but I have done quite a few instances and one raid with my hunter...only with kin members and they've always been happy to accept my hunter to come along. So, if you are looking to do a lot of group play, look for an active kin and you shouldn't have that much trouble getting invited to do some instances and raids.

Yeah, most of the time you don't have to think about what you're doing as a hunter, but me...I like to challenge myself and aggro as many mobs as I can at once so I do have to think about what I'm doing. Even the easiest classes can present a challenge then. If anybody is in the area when I do that, I do get a lot of people stopping to watch me be crazy. And my hunter's a dwarf so there's no escaping for me when I go crazy like that.

I can't say much about my RK because I've been spending most of my time on my hunter because I'm enjoying playing him a lot.

Most people recommend that you try both classes to level 20-ish to get a feel for them.

I have both classes capped and I would have to say you will get far more mileage out of the RK, which is sad since the hunter is my 'main'.

RK has two roles: DPS and healing.
    RK is 'lore-breaking' but 'flashier' class to play, and generally just more fun overall.
    RK traited fire has one of the largest single target DPS's out there right now
    RK's come in both Elf AND dwarf varieties (okay hunter has more options here).
    RK's have better self heals and if played well you will be able to solo a lot tougher content than the best hunter