We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LtC Captain Critical Strike Mechanics

NOTE: Should be up to date as of U13, but don't expect the guide to be updated.

As Critical hits are even more powerful than before Helms Deep it's worth giving it some attention if you like to DPS on your Captain.
    I've tried to give an overview of LtC Critical Hit mechanics here to make it easy to see how Captains can increase the number of critical hits and increase the critical damage magnitude to get the most damage out of the critical hits along with a couple of examples of how it can be put to use.
    The overview is mostly for endgame as lower level Captains will not have access to many of the mentioned traits and bonuses.

Stats and Basics:
    Critical hits have a base of 150% of max normal damage of the skill. A skill with 600-1000 normal damage will do 1500 damage on a critical hit.
    Critical Magnitude is added to the 150%, as far as I know they're added additively so a 30% bonus to Critical Magnitude will make each critical hit do 180% of max normal damage.
    Devastating Hits have a base of 200% of max normal damage of the skill. Critical Magnitude bonuses usually apply to Devastates as well but there might be exceptions.
    Through critical rating it is possible to get 25% critical chance, 10% devastate chance and 36% (or more if you overcap) critical magnitude

Traits and Traitset bonuses:
    React to Battle gives +5% critical chance for Devastating Blow, Pressing Attack and Routing Cry. It may also give +5% to Light of Elendil or Blade of Elendil?
    Hardened Heart gives up to +30% critical damage magnitude when you are in Battle-hardened state (which you get after using Pressing Attack and/or Devastating Blow). Battle Hardened State can last from 10 to 20 seconds depending on legacies and HelmsDeep jewellery set bonus
    Arterial Strikes gives up to 3% melee critical chance
    Cutting Edge gives +30% critical damage magnitude for 7 seconds after using Cutting Attack
    Vital Stroke gives up to +50% critical damage magnitude to Grave Wound Bleed ticks
    Master of War (MoW) gives you and your blade-brother a buff whenever you (critically hit)/devastate with Inspire and Shadow's Lament. The buff gives a 100% chance to critically hit with your next damage skill.
    MoW also gives you a Critical Chance (not rating!) for every hit you do while buffed by Standard of War. You get 1% Critical Chance per hit and it stacks up to 5 times.

Notable bonuses related to Critical Hits:
    LtC initial bonus: Every critical hit gives +15% extra damage on your next melee hit
    HoH trait Reversal gives +6% melee damage for 7 seconds after a critical hit
    Devastating Blow has an inherent bonus to Critical Damage Magnitude
    Blade of Elendil has an inherent bonus to Critical Chance
    There is a +15% melee critical magnitude legacy for your mainhand weapon

A Captain with maxed critical rating (about 16,000 at lvl 95) can thus have 28% melee critical chance and 36%+ critical magnitude (51%+ with legacy) so even at the start your critical hits will be doing about double damage of a normal hit and give +15% damage on the next melee hit, making critical hits really useful.
    However, it is first when you start combining the stats with the other bonuses that it starts to become really powerful.

Building the Damage, Critical Strike chance and Magnitude:
    1. Preparation before battle: You can start out with Time of Need, To Arms and/or Standard of War to increase your damage. If you use Time of Need, using Routing Cry right away for the -15% attack duration buff is a good idea. It is a really good idea to use Standard of War now rather than later in your rotation so you have the full +5% Critical Chance buff as soon as possible.
    2. Building Critical Magnitude: Use Battle-shout + Sure Strike (for Relentless), then Devastating Blow/Pressing Attack to get Battle-Hardened for the +30% critical magnitude. Don't use Blade of Elendil as it will consume Battle-hardened. Then I suggest you use Cutting Attack for the 7 second +30% critical magnitude.
    3. Getting MoW buff: You can then use Inspire and Shadow's Lament in hope of critical hits. if Inspire crits and you get MoW bonus, using Shadow's Lament will consume the buff, critically hit and give you the MoW bonus again. Not only does this potentially give you a lot of damage from Shadow's Lament if it crits, but the chance that you have Master of War critical hit bonus after Inspire+SL is about 50% if you have 28% critical hit chance.

(MATH: the chance of not critting with Inspire is 72%, the chance of not critting with SL is 72%, 0,72*0,72 = 0,52, so there's 52% risk of not critting with either Inspire or SL. I'm not sure how Devastate Chance is added in, but that still further increases the chance of getting the MoW buff. The 1-5% Critical Chance from Standard of War MoW bonus increases the chance even further.)

Using the MoW Critical Buff:
    After the building phase you hopefully have most/all of the following buffs:
    MoW 100% critical chance on next skill
    Cutting Attack +30% critical magnitude (though probably only with 1-3s duration left on it)
    Battle-hardened +30% critical magnitude (though probably only with 1-13s duration left on it)
    +15% damage on next melee skill from LtC initial bonus (from SL crit)
    +25% damage from To Arms
    +20% damage from Time of Need
    +30% damage from Standard of War
    Relentless buff from Sure Strike
    5% Critical chance from Standard of War + MoW buff

I suggest using one of the following skills depending on your goal:
    Single Target Burst: Devastating Blow. The Inherent Critical Magnitude makes this skill crit really hard with direct damage.
    3-6 target AoE Burst: Pressing Attack. If you use the MoW crit bonus on Pressing Attack, both of the attacks will critically hit on all your targets (normally the first attack never/rarely crits)
    6+ target burst: Standard of War. It does not do that much damage but it has an unlimited amount of targets within its radius, so against a large number of mobs close to eachother this attack can do a lot of damage.
    Single Target Damage over Time: Grave Wound. Grave Wound does not do that much damage by itself, but by having Bleed damage legacy on your mainhand (+40% damage) the bleed can be quite potent. The MoW crit buff make every bleed tick critically hit, and the Vital Stroke trait gives the Grave Wound bleed +50% critical magnitude. That makes it possible for Grave Wound bleed to tick for 2000-3000 damage every 2 seconds. The bleeds from Grave Wound also seems to stack, making Bleed Pulses legacy worth considering.
    AoE Damage over Time: Grave Wound. This is where Grave Wound can become your main DPS source. As described in Single Target the bleed can become very powerful, and if you use Grave Wound on a target that has the Cutting Attack bleed on, the Grave Wound Bleed will also be applied to all nearby enemies (about same radius as Standard of War). In some situations that can easily become 10+ targets bleeding for 2000-3000 damage every 2 seconds for the duration of Grave Wound.

Hopefully this gives some inspiration as how to make use of the LtC mechanics If I made any errors or forgot relevant mechanics do please comment.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Apr 24 2014 at 01:38 PM.

Video with Combatanalysis and Buffmonitor to show some of the rotations:

Not all of the parses in there are exactly perfect but there's some good ones in between. The plugin showing buffs is called Buffmonitor: http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...ffMonitor.html

Pictures of parses done with the rotations:
    First boss NCF 95T2, 5300DPS: http://imageshack.us/a/img850/7005/5g07.jpg
    First boss STH 95T2, 4100DPS: http://imageshack.us/a/img607/7619/kzj2.jpg
    Challenge trash pull School 95, 8500DPS (picture from midfight though, 2 archers still alive) http://imageshack.us/a/img30/1538/5q5h.jpg
    Last Boss Seat of the Great Goblin 95T2, 3600DPS: http://imageshack.us/a/img19/8495/8qnr.jpg
    First boss Iorbars Peak 95T2, 4800DPS: http://imageshack.us/a/img13/2927/zxj8.jpg
    Lieutenant of Dol Guldur 95 T2HM, 4100 DPS: http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9392/tu1a.jpg
    Last Boss Bells of Dale T2HM, 4700 DPS: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1576/wmi0.jpg

Picture of Trait Setup:

For groups it is worth considering to scrap some traits in +2-6& Light damage and +Grave Wound damage to get the Rousing Cry +5% damage in HoH.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Jan 07 2014 at 02:51 PM.

I really appreciated this writeup, it significantly improved my rotation while in redline. Could you make a similar build/skill rotation analysis for the other two traitlines?

Quote Originally Posted by Captaculous View Post
    I really appreciated this writeup, it significantly improved my rotation while in redline. Could you make a similar build/skill rotation analysis for the other two traitlines?
    I'm glad you could use it. As for HoH and LoM I'll look into it at some point but it will probably take a while before I post something about them.

Thanks for this very complete analysis. I will have to try your rotation of Buff Buildup/Cutting Attack/Inspire/Shadow's Lament/Grave Wound. I see how it gives you two chances to get autocrits for Grave Wound. I had been using Buff Buildup/Shadow's Lament/Cutting Attack/Inspire/Grave Wound with the idea trying to get autocrits on the bleed ticks for both Cutting Attack and Grave Wound. But my chance for the autocrit on Grave Wound is much lower that way. Since Grave Wounds critical magnitude is so much higher than Cutting Attack (due to Vital Stoke and the Cutting Attack buff), I'm guessing your rotation will work out better in the long run.

For now, though, I just have to work on getting my crit rating higher, and to do it without using purple items that gimp my Might.

I would be interested in seeing your parses by attack type. It is crazy how Grave Wound now dominates our DPS. Pre HD, my damage source rankings (single target) were Devastating Blow, autoattacks, Shadow's Lament, Blade of Elendil, etc. In my last HD parse against Nornuan in Filikul, the ranking was Grave Wound, autoattacks, Devastating Blow, Shadow's Lament, etc. Total damage from Grave Wound was triple that of Devastating Blow, and quadruple that of Shadow's Lament. It is also silly how Blade of Elendil, a high crit skill with a legacy for bonus damage and a built in bonus to Shadow's Lament damage, is now a disadvantage to use in a good DPS rotation. I fire it right before Battle Shout kicks off a new chain if it hasn't greyed out on me, but it is an afterthought now.
    Arkenstone: Pelagor 100 Captain, Finarwe 100 Loremaster, Banderdas 100 Minstrel

Quote Originally Posted by Maelon View Post
    Thanks for this very complete analysis. I will have to try your rotation of Buff Buildup/Cutting Attack/Inspire/Shadow's Lament/Grave Wound. I see how it gives you two chances to get autocrits for Grave Wound. I had been using Buff Buildup/Shadow's Lament/Cutting Attack/Inspire/Grave Wound with the idea trying to get autocrits on the bleed ticks for both Cutting Attack and Grave Wound. But my chance for the autocrit on Grave Wound is much lower that way. Since Grave Wounds critical magnitude is so much higher than Cutting Attack (due to Vital Stoke and the Cutting Attack buff), I'm guessing your rotation will work out better in the long run.
    You're welcome As for seperating Inspire and Shadow's Lament it does have some advantages. The more time between using those two skills the higher chance your Blade-brother has enough time to burn both MoW crit buffs and you'll also have the chance of getting autocrit on both bleeds.

For now, though, I just have to work on getting my crit rating higher, and to do it without using purple items that gimp my Might.
    Yeah getting enough crit rating can be a bit rough, I've gone for the crit buff barter ring from Snowbourn as it gives like 1500 crit rating when it's at tier 3.

I would be interested in seeing your parses by attack type. It is crazy how Grave Wound now dominates our DPS. Pre HD, my damage source rankings (single target) were Devastating Blow, autoattacks, Shadow's Lament, Blade of Elendil, etc. In my last HD parse against Nornuan in Filikul, the ranking was Grave Wound, autoattacks, Devastating Blow, Shadow's Lament, etc. Total damage from Grave Wound was triple that of Devastating Blow, and quadruple that of Shadow's Lament. It is also silly how Blade of Elendil, a high crit skill with a legacy for bonus damage and a built in bonus to Shadow's Lament damage, is now a disadvantage to use in a good DPS rotation. I fire it right before Battle Shout kicks off a new chain if it hasn't greyed out on me, but it is an afterthought now.
    Sounds a lot like my ranking on skills. You can see my Nornuan parse here, at the end I highlight most of the attacks in Combat Analysis so you can see ranking and so on:

As for Blade of Elendil I agree, but I do the same as you do (using BoE before next rotation) so I don't think it's that much of a problem. I've been considering to scrap BoE legacy for quite a while though.

This post should be stickied. Thank you for the extremely helpful info!

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    Stats and Basics:
    Through critical rating it is possible to get 25% critical chance, 10% devastate chance and 36% (or more if you overcap) critical magnitude
    It is currently impossible to reach crit cap with all the best might-based teal gear in game. You would have to equip some of the might-based purple gear with 845 crit ratings. Then of course if you do that it will lower your phys and tact ratings and thereby lower your overall dps.

I had I think it was 4 pieces of this purple gear and the rest teal and the closest I got was 26.5% melee crit in red line and 28.5% tact crit in blue line.

Quote Originally Posted by PERQ View Post
    This post should be stickied. Thank you for the extremely helpful info!
    Glad you could use it

Quote Originally Posted by skoelrond View Post
    It is currently impossible to reach crit cap with all the best might-based teal gear in game. You would have to equip some of the might-based purple gear with 845 crit ratings. Then of course if you do that it will lower your phys and tact ratings and thereby lower your overall dps.

I had I think it was 4 pieces of this purple gear and the rest teal and the closest I got was 26.5% melee crit in red line and 28.5% tact crit in blue line.
    Indeed. However, having Fate legacy on your LIs (and preferably also Crit rating on your 2hander) can get you further to the cap. I'm using the lvl 85 barter ring with the crit rating buff. You lose out on a good bit of might but the 1500 crit rating is worth it IMO.
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item..._Ring_of_Rohan

With that ring and Relentless buff you 'only' need 13.5 crit rating unbuffed to reach the cap (or get close to), and that is possible to achieve with blue gear in every slot AFAIK.

Glad you could use it

Indeed. However, having Fate legacy on your LIs (and preferably also Crit rating on your 2hander) can get you further to the cap. I'm using the lvl 85 barter ring with the crit rating buff. You lose out on a good bit of might but the 1500 crit rating is worth it IMO.
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item..._Ring_of_Rohan

With that ring and Relentless buff you 'only' need 13.5 crit rating unbuffed to reach the cap (or get close to), and that is possible to achieve with blue gear in every slot AFAIK.
    Not directly to do with crit, but presumably your overall DPS is better with 4 pieces of the moors command set for those who go in for PvMP. Worse stats, but +10% damage is presumably a big a win even solo, and in groups it is a huge DPS win. And more on the topic one piece does have > 1000 crit rating on it (forget which, not online right now).

Awesome theorycrafting, Elrantiri.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by skoelrond View Post

I dont believe this is true at least according to my math. I created an excel sheet with gear I plan to aim towards along with virtues. I have not had time to get my base stats into my calculations yet but this puts me over the crit cap. This excel sheet does not include traits.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WoxaUNnVkxOTFE
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820a00000000548a/01001/signature.png]Nerobus[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    Not directly to do with crit, but presumably your overall DPS is better with 4 pieces of the moors command set for those who go in for PvMP. Worse stats, but +10% damage is presumably a big a win even solo, and in groups it is a huge DPS win. And more on the topic one piece does have > 1000 crit rating on it (forget which, not online right now).
    Hehe, I got my fourth Command piece 2 days ago and I fully agree that it's the way to go
    Sure Strike is more than ever a part of our rotation, getting +10% inc damage on target is just perfect. You can even spread it out on 2-3 targets because of the low Sure Strike cooldown if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    Awesome theorycrafting, Elrantiri.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssslippy View Post
    I dont believe this is true at least according to my math. I created an excel sheet with gear I plan to aim towards along with virtues. I have not had time to get my base stats into my calculations yet but this puts me over the crit cap. This excel sheet does not include traits.

I think your calculations are off. It seems like you're adding 2 crit rating per agility (should be 1), 3 crit rating per Fate (should be 2.5). I'm not sure about the rest, but 11.6k crit rating is not enough to reach 25% @ lvl 95.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Dec 30 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Hehe, I got my fourth Command piece 2 days ago and I fully agree that it's the way to go
    Sure Strike is more than ever a part of our rotation, getting +10% inc damage on target is just perfect. You can even spread it out on 2-3 targets because of the low Sure Strike cooldown if you wish.

Thanks

I think your calculations are off. It seems like you're adding 2 crit rating per agility (should be 1), 3 crit rating per Fate (should be 2.5). I'm not sure about the rest, but 11.6k crit rating is not enough to reach 25% @ lvl 95.

Had a bunch of issues. They changed the way the formula works from 20-25% adding even more diminishing returns which was throwing everything off on me. Its been fixed and is correct.
    Last edited by ssslippy; Dec 30 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820a00000000548a/01001/signature.png]Nerobus[/charsig]

Had a bunch of issues. They changed the way the formula works from 20-25% adding even more diminishing returns which was throwing everything off on me. Its been fixed and is correct.
    Ah ok, I've never really gotten around to work with those formulas, but it looks like you're getting 16k crit rating with that setup, which should bring you to 25% or at least very close

Ah ok, I've never really gotten around to work with those formulas, but it looks like you're getting 16k crit rating with that setup, which should bring you to 25% or at least very close
    According to the latest math posted at https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...22#post7044322 16k crit rating is exactly 25%.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WoxaUNnVkxOTFE
    First off, great build and it gives me lots of direction as I get back into the game. I did want to ask about your Legendaries though. What 4 legacies are you running on weapon and emblem to allow two stat legacies? Is it truly worth it? Is Crit and extra Light damage worth more than having your weapon do typed damage? I will probably be building for the Moors first and I just can't see not doing typed (probably Beleriand) damage or passing on the +tact mit Emblem title.
    Commander Cariance - Mostly Dead - Riddermark
    Sentry Wariance - ISMELLMANFLESH - Riddermark

Quote Originally Posted by RtrnofdMax View Post
    First off, great build and it gives me lots of direction as I get back into the game. I did want to ask about your Legendaries though. What 4 legacies are you running on weapon and emblem to allow two stat legacies? Is it truly worth it? Is Crit and extra Light damage worth more than having your weapon do typed damage? I will probably be building for the Moors first and I just can't see not doing typed (probably Beleriand) damage or passing on the +tact mit Emblem title.
    You cannot apply the +light damage and crit on a weapon, you can only apply it on your emblem. For weapons there's a title with crit and Beleriand.

As for legacies it depends a lot on whether you use a swap weapon for Oathbreakers and To Arms as that gives you some free space on your actual weapon.

After consistently getting 4K+ DPS from Filikul parses with a crit % over 50%, I've been concerned whether the high crit rate is due to LTC autocrits (particularly of GW bleeds), or whether the level difference between me (95) and the turtle (58) is hugely inflating my crit rates. I had some chances to test this last week when I ran some lvl 95 T3 skraids where we had several (6 I think) single target fights with encounter bosses (not LTs, which always come with adds). I was happy to see the crit rate was similar, as was the DPS (3.8K - 4.2K). Since my raid fellowship included only a guard and hunters, and the other fellowship had a captain, hunters, and a champ, I wasn't getting much in the way of raid buffs to my DPS (perhaps armor rend and a 10 second OB).

After consistently getting 4K+ DPS from Filikul parses with a crit % over 50%, I've been concerned whether the high crit rate is due to LTC autocrits (particularly of GW bleeds), or whether the level difference between me (95) and the turtle (58) is hugely inflating my crit rates. I had some chances to test this last week when I ran some lvl 95 T3 skraids where we had several (6 I think) single target fights with encounter bosses (not LTs, which always come with adds). I was happy to see the crit rate was similar, as was the DPS (3.8K - 4.2K). Since my raid fellowship included only a guard and hunters, and the other fellowship had a captain, hunters, and a champ, I wasn't getting much in the way of raid buffs to my DPS (perhaps armor rend and a 10 second OB).
    Nice

You can also take a look on each skill like I did in my Nornuan video. By holding your cursor over each damaging skill shown in Combat Analysis you get the seperate stats for that skill. (happens at 3:30 in my video). There you can see my GW has about 96% crits while autoattacks are at 25%, DB at 60% etc etc. Then you can start comparing in terms of amount of attacks and crit %.
    In my video, GW has 64 ticks and 62 of them are crits. As for my total amount of hits it's 314 hits and 149 critical hits.
    314 - 64 = 250
    149 - 62 = 87
    That's about 33% crit and given the +5% crit chance on some skills, extra crit chance on BoE and how Inspire sometimes give extra crit on Shadow's Lament that matches fairly well with my 28% crit chance.

Great guide !
    Got all the info

The 12.2 bug fix to give Grave Wound bleeds the damage type of the captain's weapon has really hurt our DPS, since those bleeds are an enormous part of redline DPS. Preliminary turtle runs show my total DPS (not just DPS from Grave Wound) has decreased about 20% - 25%. I realize they are fixing a bug (the bleeds were unmitigated previously), but it stings nonetheless.

I hope RockX compensates us for the loss in some way, perhaps by increasing the base damage of both Devastating Blow and Shadow's Lament by about 25% each. That would come close to making up the Grave Wound loss, and also restore some of the traditional captain feel of combat (big hits from those two skills), rather than the current bleed focused method that historically has been more typical of LMs, Wardens, and fire RKs.

The 12.2 bug fix to give Grave Wound bleeds the damage type of the captain's weapon has really hurt our DPS, since those bleeds are an enormous part of redline DPS. Preliminary turtle runs show my total DPS (not just DPS from Grave Wound) has decreased about 20% - 25%. I realize they are fixing a bug (the bleeds were unmitigated previously), but it stings nonetheless.

I hope RockX compensates us for the loss in some way, perhaps by increasing the base damage of both Devastating Blow and Shadow's Lament by about 25% each. That would come close to making up the Grave Wound loss, and also restore some of the traditional captain feel of combat (big hits from those two skills), rather than the current bleed focused method that historically has been more typical of LMs, Wardens, and fire RKs.
    I do think the DPS loss is most visible in high-mitigations fights like Filikul and Roots of Fangorn though, at least my DPS against Bethan and Krupu (I solo them unmounted) is pretty much the same.

Even though this fix was put in the 12.2. patch notes, it was fixed in 12.1 -- at least the tooltip reported the correct type of bleed damage for Grave Wound long before 12.2 kicked in. Therefore, the DPS decrease must be from something else.

Also, this observation seems somewhat confusing -- Grave Wound used to deal Common damage before the bug was fixed; if dealing Common damage helps your DPS, couldn't you just use a LI title that doesn't change weapon damage type? It doesn't make much sense to me.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    Even though this fix was put in the 12.2. patch notes, it was fixed in 12.1 -- at least the tooltip reported the correct type of bleed damage for Grave Wound long before 12.2 kicked in. Therefore, the DPS decrease must be from something else.

Also, this observation seems somewhat confusing -- Grave Wound used to deal Common damage before the bug was fixed; if dealing Common damage helps your DPS, couldn't you just use a LI title that doesn't change weapon damage type? It doesn't make much sense to me.
    No, in 12.1 Grave Wound only showed X Damage, no damage type what so ever (not even Common). When an attack doesn't have a damage type, it is not mitigated, -inc damage still works though.

EDIT: You can see it in my Nornuan video earlier in the thread, that video was made in 12.1. The Grave Wound ticks don't have a damage type.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast