We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I have been playing LotRO on this Laptop for a while now and having no real problems except in a couple of graphics intensive places, such as Bree, but no problems at festivals no matter how crowded.

Dell Latitude D610
    Intel Pentium M Processor 2.00Ghz
    WinXP SP3
    IGb RAM
    Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Integrated Graphics 128Mb
    Display Mode 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (50Hz)

So how long before I am too obsolete to continue playing?

Incidentally, I am not playing on minimum graphics options, I use Medium - Low which still gives a decent graphics display. Admittedly I don't get all the bells and whistles which are pretty, but then I don't play this game for pretty, I play for content. There are plenty of pretty games out there which seem to be designed for the braindead, give me decent gameplay instead any day!

Thanks for the updates specs! I'm amazed at the lowest recommended settings I don't think I've ever seen my computer using less than 2gb - 3gb of RAM when the game was running. My systems specs allow me to play the game at higher settings, but now I'm curious to see if I can make the game use such minimal resources.

*rubs hands together in glee and excitement over the idea of doing new experiments*

Quote Originally Posted by araxiecbl View Post
    you saying your GPU, but this game its not only GPU bound, also CPU bound, also i always recommend to install in a Solid State Drive to all my fellows due to extremely long load times and also to help with the texture load.. for those raids maps, or battles in ettenmoors, a good CPU are crucial.. and sadly any actual mid-range machine lets say ivy bridge i3 + GTX 650+ 8GB RAM, will have ton of problems to handle the game in DX11+Ultra settings in a Raid or Large battle... the best you can do to improve your experience if you don't have yet its to install the game in a SSD and crank down the settings..
    My friend, I've been leading a large kinship in this game and out of it for over 5 years and I've been leading raids even longer. I've been in raids where of the 24 people in it, 18 of them were on different ISP's, they were from 4 different continents, 8 different countries, and of the Americans from as close to Turbine as Boston and as far away as San Diego. Their machines range from lap tops that could barely outperform a calculator to rigs that would make ILM jealous. And all of these people, from all over the globe, on all different ISP's, with all different types of computers, all of whom I know personally and I'm in direct communication with at that moment, lag out at the same time in the same place, in the same way, in the Ettenmoors.

If improving specs will help that, I think we should have it explained to us how, before we make an investment.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    You may want to read the second post, suggestions from the Tech Support team. Obviously we aren't talking about 15 year old Geforce 4 cards or Radeon 1900s, nor are we talking about (since you're commenting on the minimum requirements to play the game) playing on high settings. If you're having issues and you're playing on those specs I'd suggest turning things down/off and seeing how it impacts your gameplay.
    Btw, any update about fixing lag? I remember you said some monitoring tools were added couple months back but it's been quiet since besides making login times faster.

I know it's in the client when i run 4yrs younger MMORPG with much better performance than Lotro. Couple years ago, I played LotrO on laptop on battery with Wifi 1Mb net all day, 0 lag. Today, I use 60Mb LAN and same laptop plugged-in, lagging so many times (and yes, HDD, fan and exhaust are cleaned).

5 Haven Way, Menellant, Falathorn, Elendimir
    Quote Originally Posted by tanlis View Post
    No Mac requirements?
    Sapience, are minimal and recommended Mac requirements remaining the same or is there an update?

Did you do testing for Mac?

Just wondering since my move I have been playing on my MacBook Pro while the PC is still in storage on a different continent lol.
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][CENTER]Hallatur [LM] | Galadtar [HNT] | Yaraval [RK] | Tarsilme [CPT] | Till [BRG][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][b][color=Red]Proud Member of Aurora Australis on Elendilmir[/SIZE][/b][/color][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][b][color=Red]Founder of Aphadrim uin Calad on Elendilmir[/SIZE][/b][/color]
    [SIZE=2][color=White]~ Established: February 2005~[/SIZE][/color]

[URL="http:/forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=238856"]Editor of Community Resource—Elendilmir: Kinship Directory, make sure to add your Kinship.[/URL][/FONT][/CENTER]

I'm not sure that the words "recommended" and "Vista" should be used in the same sentence.....

Quote Originally Posted by Awenir24 View Post
    I'm not sure that the words "recommended" and "Vista" should be used in the same sentence.....
    I have been playing LOTROsince two years on my PC with Vista 64bit without any problems.

However, I do not believe you can run Lotro with only 1 or 2GB without memory problems. In my experience with different systems and playing LOTRO you need AT LEAST 4GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    I have been playing LOTROsince two years on my PC with Vista 64bit without any problems.

However, I do not believe you can run Lotro with only 1 or 2GB without memory problems. In my experience with different systems and playing LOTRO you need AT LEAST 4GB.
    hmm. I have 16gb, and it's currently using 1.9gb of that... so that would suggest that you're correct.

Is that mean that on recomended settings mounted combat will be smooth?

one thing for ram usage while playing lotro:

befor i'm starting lotro i have 3.71 GB of ram in usage.
    while playing lotro i'm at 7.33GB. Thats a different of 3,62 GB. In the task Manager are only shown 2.5GB usage for lotro itself. makes a difference of 1.1GB that are not shown directly for the usage through lotro. i cant say for what the 1.1GB are used, but i guess it are stealth processes to avoid crashes causes by lotro since its only a 32bit program, or are extra usages of the GPU to for cashing.
    [CENTER]Es grüßt [URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/r15i.png/"]General Hauptmann[/URL] Milithion - Held der Ettenöden

[LEFT]Sippenleiter von [URL="http://www.mndk.de/"]MNdK[/URL]
    Technische Hilfe FAQ: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?402521-Technische-Hilfe-FAQ[/URL]
    [/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    I don't mean this facetiously. I would find it helpful, if I were to invest in say a better graphics card than the one I have now, if I knew what it would do for me in LOTRO terms. I have a GTX 650 right now, but I haven't upgraded because LOTRO seems to run ultra high at least as well as anyone else I know. But if Turbine can tell me that this will improve pvmp experience, I would be down for a change, and tell my kinsman that they may want to check into this which might cause them to return to LOTRO.
    yes, I would guess GTX 650 should be fine on ultra high settings, guessing without more info about the rest of your suggested rig. I had a GTX 570 which ran fine in Ultra High.
    By the way, I currently have twin GTX 660 in SLI and I, too, run into lag in highly populated areas. So I suspect is due to network congestion or something, not related to the client.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by maiki1978 View Post
    Mmmm... Finally new requirements... But wait!! Nothing mentioned about THE LAG! *facepalm* wait...I play from Europe I m destined to have a 130-160 ms latency and a 15 sec skill lag in ettens. But when I m in USA I get 10 ms...nothing to be done for us European players on snowbourn server despite the reports we ve all sent and the YouTube videos. I guess this is how it will be despite my Alienware m18x machine and my 100 MBps Internet connection. Some players due to their geographic position are simply not entitled to enjoy the game. It seems that Boston is the center of the world. Sadness....

monstreous
    Im coming from germany and I meet the same latency problem as you. So I've canceled my annual VIP subscribtion, that is the only thing I can react to turbine's inaction!

Quote Originally Posted by DYMongoose View Post
    I *just* bought a new Alienware with windows 8 on it. Please tell me this won't be a problem for LotRO...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    It's not officially supported but I see plenty of people who have been running it just fine.
    Any guess on the time frame for official support of Windows 8 & 8.1? Microsoft quit selling Windows 7 retail almost two months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Milithion View Post

my recommenced specs would be:

Rams: 8GB
    CPU: I5-4440 or equivalent amd
    GPU: GTX-570 or equivalent amd
    Disk Space: 25 GB (+3GB for multiple languages) on an SSD with high read speed

and for ultra high:

Rams: 16GB
    CPU: I5-4770k or equivalent amd
    GPU: gtx670 or hd7870 (radeon R9 290 or equivalent nvidia for long term usage)
    Disk Space: 25 GB (+3GB for multiple languages) on an SSD with high read speed
    For 'recommended' specs that looks like overkill. I know many players with systems much less powerful than that who are running in ultra on high frame rates - please explain your logic. The GTX-570 is a card used to play very intensive games like Battlefield 3/Witcher 2. Why is this necessary for an aging MMO?
    http://s12.postimg.org/7w6e0kpnx/LOTRO_New_Sig.jpg
    Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

My specs:

3.0ghz intel Dual core processor
    8gb mem
    2 gb Nvidia GTX Geforce 770
    Win 7 64 bit OS

The game still runs choppy, the only mmo I have ever played that does so and I have played many. For example , Rift which is VERY graphic intensive, I have had no problems. If I didn't have a life time account I would have cancelled long ago.

The only solution I see is an SSD.
    "Never laugh at live Dragons...."

~Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by EGONIL View Post
    The only solution I see is an SSD.
    i didn't mention this in my earlier post, but my new build incorporates an SSD. i only have windows, a couple of smaller apps, and LOTRO installed on it. i still experience the hiccups, low frame rates, "rubberbanding", and the lag.

1 thing ive noticed with the computers ive used in the past. For some reason both LOTRO and DDO do not seem to care for Creative Labs Sound Systems. I say this because i have a Fidelity extreme gamer card in my XP and Vista machines. Both games crash a lot. I am constantly checking the events log in admin and every time the crashes are the cause of the sound card. The current pc im running only has the sound built into the Motherboard, RealTek i believe. Running this set up with win 7 i have had hardly any crashes at all. I have a few friends that play Lotro as well and they have been having issues with LOTRO on their win 7 machines with creative labs sounds cards.

Sapience, do the turbine staff have a forum filter that causes any mention of the words Mac or OSX to be automatically ignored or filtered out of the thread when viewed
    There has been a few legitimate questions about whether the minimum spec for a Mac has changed and the questions haven't been acknowledged let alone answered.

I'm running a Mac with a Haswell i5, 16gb ram, GTX 780M with 4GB ram and OSX 10.9 and was still getting 10 minute crashes. It took a fellow forum member to point out that changing texture quality from high to medium actually let's me play again and everything else can still run in ultra high. Heck, OSX is supposed to be a 'supported' platform, at least try to maintain the illusion that it's actually the case

Quote Originally Posted by dmark101 View Post
    i didn't mention this in my earlier post, but my new build incorporates an SSD. i only have windows, a couple of smaller apps, and LOTRO installed on it. i still experience the hiccups, low frame rates, "rubberbanding", and the lag.

I have to echo the lack of benefit of SSD. I invested in an SSD on Black Friday and have found it does little to the game. My specs:
    4 core 2.6GHz
    8 GB RAM
    ATI 5750 w/ 1 GB RAM
    SSD

I also have little else installed on the system (clean build of Windows)

On the plus side I now have no moving parts (this is a fanless system), so the audio is nice as it has no competition.

But the SSD only has a minor impact on transition between regions, which is where I expected the most impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    How about Mac System requirements?

Turbine has never posted any system specs for the Mac Client
    If you dig enough you can find "How do I install the LOTRO Mac (beta) client on my computer?", which does at least mention supported OS versions, which inherently limit the possible hardware. (Incidentally, "How do I download and install LOTRO onto my computer?", which is linked from the main download page, also still refers to the Mac client as a beta.)

The 10.7 requirement really, really needs to be mentioned on the download page. People regularly ask why the game fails to open on their 10.6 system.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    My friend, I've been leading a large kinship in this game and out of it for over 5 years and I've been leading raids even longer. I've been in raids where of the 24 people in it, 18 of them were on different ISP's, they were from 4 different continents, 8 different countries, and of the Americans from as close to Turbine as Boston and as far away as San Diego. Their machines range from lap tops that could barely outperform a calculator to rigs that would make ILM jealous. And all of these people, from all over the globe, on all different ISP's, with all different types of computers, all of whom I know personally and I'm in direct communication with at that moment, lag out at the same time in the same place, in the same way, in the Ettenmoors.

If improving specs will help that, I think we should have it explained to us how, before we make an investment.
    I think those instances are server-side issues and there's nothing as players we can do about it. Do you experience lag issues in the Moors outside of those that are hitting everyone at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Are you sure your CPU requirements/recommendation aren't backwards?

Thanks for finally getting us the new requirements.
    Not all MHz are created equal.

I actually still have a Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPU sitting in my office closet. Heh, along with a Pentium (I) 60 and Pentium II 450.

I assure you, the Core 2 Duo I got a few years later would mop the floor with it even though it ran at only 2.4GHz.

Clock speed isn't all that indicative of performance when considered in isolation and between different eras. The architecture of the chip also comes into play so that a modern CPU is going to be quite a bit faster even at a lower clock speed.

Which is all to say. . . they didn't get the requirements backwards.

I built a computer with a used i7 3770 3.4ghz non-overlocked, Asrock B75M-DGS, 8GB budget DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, windows 7 64bit, a used GTX 650 ti boost 2gb GPU, a samsung 840 SSD and a 21.5" 1080p screen it was cheap cheep and cheerful and plays LotRO in full HD with all settings maxed, the only time I see it struggling is in a skraid with RKs healing and the client does tend to crash if I port to Aldburg and then swift straight to HD but I think that's more of a bug than a GPU issue. so you dont need a super computer to play LotRO maxed out, I'm sure I could have built it even cheaper and still been able to max settings, i do however think people should have been given 6 months notice about the change or even a year so they could save up and be ready when the time came, just springing it on people who were then left not being able to play HD even though they had paid for it was very shameful in my opinion.

Have moved, new address coming shortly, Arkenstone, Sweden
    @Sapience
    As a PC technician and professional hardware supporter I would recommend you try to push the Windows 8 support official ASAP. You do realize that all new computers sold since three-four months back only come with Windows 8/8.1 right? And I would assume that is Worldwide since it is Microsoft who made it happen. (I know, these things take time in "this world"...)

Also I suggest a change to one of the lines in the text, instead of writing XP as minimal requirement, why not write "XP/Vista/7"? Some people do not know what OS they are on, in particular when it comes to discern if they are on Vista or on 7 (you would not believe some of the cases I handle).
    Last edited by Marancil; Dec 27 2013 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Passerby View Post
    I've 'only' been dealing with Windows paging since 1990, but my experience has been that if you have sufficient RAM, you don't need a page file (unless a developer foolishly coded so that the game won't run if it detects no paging enabled). From a practical standpoint, modern desktops often have more RAM than the maximum memory commit you'll face running WinOS + one LOTRO client. Even in marathon sessions with multiple clients, my commit doesn't climb to over half of physical RAM. I've configured dozens of gaming rigs over the years, and found that (in cases where there's sufficient physical memory) games run faster with the page file switched off.

If you find you *must* have a pagefile (or ''swapfile''), setting it to a static size of 150% your physical RAM has worked very well for me and my friends over the decades. Static size is quite handy on the file fragmentation side of things. Also, if you have multiple hard drives, putting your page file on a non-game/non-OS drive will help out a bit (paging is then the only traffic on that bus).

The aforementioned setting [Adv Graphics -> Texture Cache Size] can give a nice performance boost if you have plenty of RAM to spare. =)
    I agree about the texture cache. But DO NOT disable you swap file. Regardless if you have 4GB of RAM or 32GB of RAM. Windows will run without it but you will suffer performance impacts by doing so. Why?

Windows will look at the processes running, determine h priority of the memory (yes memory has a priority, 0 of them. Based on this Windows will determine if memory can be reused if needed. This repurposing of memory is what the swap file is used for. It will mark the memory as potentially being repurposed and then it goes into a transition state. A paged pool is allocated then the memory is put into the swap file. If no swap file exists, windows will still page this, but it will page it into separate files which creates additional overhead when a hard fault happens.

A soft fault is a page of memory that is available in memory but not in the active set. A hard fault is when a page of memory is accessed and it isn't physically in memory at all, it is swap from the page file and into the active memory set. If in the page file, it is a simple case of looking up the page table which contains the address space allocation for the memory including the remapped locations.

If in the page file it is seen as contiguous blocks of memory when they are separate files it need to get file names etc... and know where that is, this isn't in the page table directly so more hits are taken.

For anyone interested there is a video by my friend Andrew Richards (go Aussies). And he explains RAMMap which explains about windows memory and the states it goes through. There is also a video by Mark Russinovich. These are very low level but are very informative if you want to know about windows memory management.

With that said, Page file should always be 1.5 x memory to 2.5 x memory, so with my RAM it is set to 49,152MB to 81,920MB. Do not let windows manage it either.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defra...Tools-6-RAMMap

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Tech...ca/2011/WCL405
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Tech...ca/2011/WCL406

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast