We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    No Mac requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Recently we asked players to complete a survey telling us what kind of hardware they were running. We also conducted a number of tests with our game client running against a wide variety of hardware configurations including those mentioned by players. We also ran these tests against our minimum and recommended hardware configurations.

As a result of this process we’ve created new guidelines for minimum and recommended hardware for playing The Lord of the Rings Online.

New Minimum System Requirements

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz or AMD Equivalent
    • System Memory: 1GB (2GB for Windows Vista)
    • Graphics Card: at least 128MB Onboard graphics memory.
    • Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection
    • Direct X Version: Directx 9.0c
    • Disk Space: 12 GB (+3 GB for international clients)

New Recommended System Requirements

• CPU: Dual Core 2.66 GHZ
    • System Memory: 2GB
    • Graphics Cards: 512MB dedicated discrete card
    • Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection
    • Disk Space: 20 GB (+3 GB for international Clients)

Please keep in mind that these are requirements we feel should allow you to run the game reliably at low to moderate settings. If you wish to experience the game at the highest settings, additional system memory and higher end graphics cards should be considered.
    Umm, I meet the recommended specs, but the game still runs like a slug! constant disk caching has caused me to abandon the game after many many happy years

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    I don't mean this facetiously. I would find it helpful, if I were to invest in say a better graphics card than the one I have now, if I knew what it would do for me in LOTRO terms. I have a GTX 650 right now, but I haven't upgraded because LOTRO seems to run ultra high at least as well as anyone else I know. But if Turbine can tell me that this will improve pvmp experience, I would be down for a change, and tell my kinsman that they may want to check into this which might cause them to return to LOTRO.
    you saying your GPU, but this game its not only GPU bound, also CPU bound, also i always recommend to install in a Solid State Drive to all my fellows due to extremely long load times and also to help with the texture load.. for those raids maps, or battles in ettenmoors, a good CPU are crucial.. and sadly any actual mid-range machine lets say ivy bridge i3 + GTX 650+ 8GB RAM, will have ton of problems to handle the game in DX11+Ultra settings in a Raid or Large battle... the best you can do to improve your experience if you don't have yet its to install the game in a SSD and crank down the settings..

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagblod View Post
    Umm, I meet the recommended specs, but the game still runs like a slug! constant disk caching has caused me to abandon the game after many many happy years
    I can only call out this comment...

Please keep in mind that these are requirements we feel should allow you to run the game reliably at low to moderate settings.
    Disk caching may be a sign of something else. Maybe a need for more system memory due to other factors. Having multiple applications or background tasks running can cause it.

Hardware Specs an Memory Leak...

I am currently have client-crashes caused by the ntdll.dll.

My Hardware Specs are:

Intel Core I7 @ 4400 Mhz
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
    G.Skill 16 Gbyte RAM 2400 MHz (2x8)
    EVGA GTX 780 SoC watercooled @ 1097 MHz
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OS / LOTRO folder)

My Resolution is 1920x1080 px
    All game-setting @ Ultra High or maxed out + 4x AA
    NO V-Sync ativated !
    Framerate capped @ 60 Frames.

I am changing my Windows Installation weekly by imaging between

Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.
    On both Installations I manual deactivated my pagefile to force all programs to use my physical RAM.
    I also installed the Microsoft "Rapid Storage Driver".

Today I had 2 crashes after about 45 minutes. Now I tried to uninstall the "Rapid Storage driver", reactiviated the Pagefile
    and startet using a 3rd party MemCleaner to set the process priority to "high".

I Still have no crashes after 2 hours of gameplay. I'll repeat later if it's my personal solution for this problem.

end not enabling these. Doing so may cause some graphical elements to display oddly or not display at all.

Use a 64 bit OS
    Although LOTRO is a 32bit application we strongly encourage players to use a 64 bit OS like Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Please note that Windows 8 and 8.1 are not officially supported).
    I'm running on Windows 8.1 without issues. Certifying it on 8.x seems pretty obviously needed at this point. You have to make some effort to buy a new Windows based PC that is not Windows 8.x.

Quote Originally Posted by Iretriel View Post
    I am currently have client-crashes caused by the ntdll.dll.

My Hardware Specs are:

Intel Core I7 @ 4400 Mhz
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
    G.Skill 16 Gbyte RAM 2400 MHz (2x8)
    EVGA GTX 780 SoC watercooled @ 1097 MHz
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OS / LOTRO folder)

My Resolution is 1920x1080 px
    All game-setting @ Ultra High or maxed out + 4x AA
    NO V-Sync ativated !
    Framerate capped @ 60 Frames.

I am changing my Windows Installation weekly by imaging between

Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.
    On both Installations I manual deactivated my pagefile to force all programs to use my physical RAM.
    I also installed the Microsoft "Rapid Storage Driver".

Today I had 2 crashes after about 45 minutes. Now I tried to uninstall the "Rapid Storage driver", reactiviated the Pagefile
    and startet using a 3rd party MemCleaner to set the process priority to "high".

I Still have no crashes after 2 hours of gameplay. I'll repeat later if it's my personal solution for this problem.
    Page Files are always needed not matter how much ran u have, you can have 64GB of ram and still pagefiles are needed, what you have to do its to increase the cache size ingame.. in advanced option are a settings that allow the game to draw tons of RAM instead of Disk Cache.. or better yet if you have 16+GB of ram create a RamDisk of 4GB and you will be even better than a SSD.

i would like to see the specs more like:

minimum: (requirements to play on very low graphic settings on full HD with 30+fps in groups/instances on dx9) <-- this should be/stay the minimum part as its now.

normal: (requirements to play on medium graphic settings on full HD with 30+fps in groups/instances on dx9)

high: ( requirements to play on high graphic settings on full HD with 30+fps in groups/instances on dx 11) <-- this should be the recommenced part, at least for me, and i would say that this is currently not the case.

the recommenced specs should be specs, that, if a new player buys a pc with this specs, he could enjoy the game lag-free on a good graphics quality for the next 2 years. i mean, seriously, playing lotro on 2GB rams with windows vista on high settings will not work, so will not make fun, causes frustrating and keeps the player away from this game.

also the disk space should be a bit higher, to have space for further updates. (like 25 GB (+3GB))

my recommenced specs would be:

Rams: 8GB
    CPU: I5-4440 or equivalent amd
    GPU: GTX-570 or equivalent amd
    Disk Space: 25 GB (+3GB for multiple languages) on an SSD with high read speed

and for ultra high:

Rams: 16GB
    CPU: I5-4770k or equivalent amd
    GPU: gtx670 or hd7870 (radeon R9 290 or equivalent nvidia for long term usage)

(this is what i do understand under the word recommenced, and what is done by other game companys, they do not recommence to buy systems that are able to run the game on low to medium settings, that's where they use the minimum specs for)

here an example for that: http://www.battlefield4.eu/wp-conten...CEAEoz9d-1.png
    minimum for low quality, but playable
    recommenced for high quality
    Last edited by Milithion; Dec 19 2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Es grüßt General HauptmannMilithion - Held der Ettenöden

Sippenleiter von MNdK
    Technische Hilfe FAQ: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?402521-Technische-Hilfe-FAQ

How about Mac System requirements?

Turbine has never posted any system specs for the Mac Client -- only Steam/Valve did:

Minimum
    Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Disk Space: 25 GB of available space
    Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better
    Sound: Integrated Sound

Recommended
    Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard Disk Space: 25 GB of available space
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 650M or better
    Sound: Integrated Sound
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 105
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 105
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 91

I do appreciate the hard work the artists and devs do. However I don't need to run the game maxed out, I just need to run it. Since HD the game works just fine, even in the problem areas mentioned in this thread on this old computer EXCEPT that characters and NPCs are invisible. I don't know what my frame rate is but it is acceptable. *Server lag* is rarely an issue. Even with all the new stuff added with HD my old machine runs the game acceptably well except for the invisibility issue. My. Yes this is a 10 year old machine and until HD there were no major issues with LOTRO. My 18 month old machine will not even log into the LOTRO client. Turbine is working with me to resolve this but so far there has been no progress. Until HD this 10 year old machine has not had any problems with running LOTRO from the open beta of SA but every other newer machine I have had has always had some issue with LOTRO updates. Eventually those issues were solved. Right now my only options are to play with invisible toons (possible but difficult) using this old machine or not play at all until I can get my *new* machine to log on. Buying a more powerful machine is not an option at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Milithion View Post

my recommenced specs would be:

CPU: I5-4440 or equivalent amd
    GPU: GTX-570 or equivalent amd

and for ultra high:

CPU: I5-4770k or equivalent amd
    GPU: radeon R9 290 or equivalent nvidia
    why a 290 for this game on ULTRA? lol'd really.. XD.. a GTX660-660TI-670-760 in the green side its plenty for this game with all eyecandy settings up.. and for red side, HD 7870-7870XT-7950-7970GHZ should do the work flawlessly(yes a bit higher on AMD, this game its known for run better on Nvidia green side) anything greather than those cards are overkill for this game... and RAM recommended 16GB as i saw this game drawing 6 dedicated GB of ram.. and 2GB for a 64Bits OS its simply low.. the rest. agreed.. =).

Quote Originally Posted by araxiecbl View Post
    why a 290 for this game on ULTRA? lol'd really.. XD.. a GTX660-660TI-670-760 in the green side its plenty for this game with all eyecandy settings up.. and for red side, HD 7870-7870XT-7950-7970GHZ should do the work flawlessly(yes a bit higher on AMD, this game its known for run better on Nvidia green side) anything greather than those cards are overkill for this game... and RAM recommended 16GB as i saw this game drawing 6 dedicated GB of ram.. and 2GB for a 64Bits OS its simply low.. the rest. agreed.. =).
    it should be a pc for the next 2 years or longer. who knows what they are adding but yeah true, a gtx 670 or hd7870 will do it as fine as the newer versions.(and to say the truth, i forgot the names of the previous cards^^) i updated the ram part.
    Last edited by Milithion; Dec 19 2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Es grüßt General HauptmannMilithion - Held der Ettenöden

Sippenleiter von MNdK
    Technische Hilfe FAQ: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?402521-Technische-Hilfe-FAQ

Windows 8 not supported?

I *just* bought a new Alienware with windows 8 on it. Please tell me this won't be a problem for LotRO...

I'm going way out on a limb here, especially since the data pool here is exactly two, but maybe something related to ATI drivers?
    Well, SWTOR is the only game where I've had issues apart from LotrO. SWTOR have had Crash-to-Desktop issues with AMD videocards ever since that game was released. However, some of SWTORs latest patchnotes state "Improved stability for players with AMD video cards.", so I'm not sure if it is a similar issue as LotrO and/or requires fixing in the game rather than the drivers.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Dec 19 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by DYMongoose View Post
    I *just* bought a new Alienware with windows 8 on it. Please tell me this won't be a problem for LotRO...
    It's not officially supported but I see plenty of people who have been running it just fine.

I can share what I run on. I think anyone that's seen me live stream from my home rig knows I play with everything maxed.

Core I7 2.8GHZ (second Gen, so about 3 years old. Not the newer versions)
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 570 with 2GB
    Windows 7 64 Bit.

You don't really need the 16GB, 8 was fine I upped it to 16GB because I do a lot of video editing unrelated to the game. Same with the 2GB card, you could get a 1GB version and probably still be fine.

You could probably throw a lot more money at it too if you wanted.

im running a amd athlon II X2 235e 2.70GHZ
    8GB of ddr2
    GeForce GTX 560
    Windows 7 64 bit

i got my pc around 2006-2009 its an Emachines ET1331G-03w
    i play with everything maxed also

well i have 4 g ram , 1 g graphic, dual core.... and only can play well in low

I'm going way out on a limb here, especially since the data pool here is exactly two, but maybe something related to ATI drivers?
    nope. this happened quite regularly when i had my nVidia GTX 550Ti paired with my Athlon X4 955BE.

IIRC, there was something mentioned about a memory leak regarding DX10/11, which required everyone to dial things down to DX9. i ran this way for a while before i built my new rig. my new box runs an i7 3770k, 16gb of ram, and an HD 7850 w/2gb of GDDR5 memory and i still get the occasional hiccup after switching back to DX11. i'm pretty good on making sure my drivers are up-to-date.

both boxes run win 7 ultimate x64.

so, it's good to see the minimum reqs have been bumped up.

Quote Originally Posted by dmark101 View Post
    nope. this happened quite regularly when i had my nVidia GTX 550Ti paired with my Athlon X4 955BE.

IIRC, there was something mentioned about a memory leak regarding DX10/11, which required everyone to dial things down to DX9. i ran this way for a while before i built my new rig. my new box runs an i7 3770k, 16gb of ram, and an HD 7850 w/2gb of GDDR5 memory and i still get the occasional hiccup after switching back to DX11. i'm pretty good on making sure my drivers are up-to-date.

both boxes run win 7 ultimate x64.

so, it's good to see the minimum reqs have been bumped up.
    Thanks for the info.. Nice to hear that isn't a problem with my laptop.. I suspected that seeing Rift, GW2 and FFXIV are running at maximum without any issues..
    Hope they fix it anyday.. DX 11 effects are great..

My old rig was 224MB Intel integrated chipset, 1GB RAM and I could run raids and win dps races in them. I could not, however, run draigoch smoothly so I assume the minimum graphics would allow only landscape quests.
    Quit.

Find me on Steam and ESO, same name.

I didn't notice anyone else bring this up, so I will.

I understand that Min Spec's are more or less saying what the game will (at a basic level) run on if you happen to have that hardware, however, I don't think at this stage, listing Windows XP is the best idea. Official support for XP ends on 8 April 2014. that means no patch updates, no nothing. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...d-support-help

So while technically LOTRO may well run, listing a soon to be dead OS as a Minimum I don't think is the best idea. Is Turbine really going to support a game on an OS that is no longer supported?

Windows 8.1

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 Bios F11d
    CPU: AMD Piledriver 8350 @ 4.8GHz
    GPU: 2x AMD 7970 (Crossfire)
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHz
    PSU: 1,000W

Rohan towns / Bree / Dunland run at a depressing 30-45fps on very High

Clearly something isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by araxiecbl View Post
    Page Files are always needed not matter how much ran u have, you can have 64GB of ram and still pagefiles are needed, what you have to do its to increase the cache size ingame.. in advanced option are a settings that allow the game to draw tons of RAM instead of Disk Cache.. or better yet if you have 16+GB of ram create a RamDisk of 4GB and you will be even better than a SSD.
    I've 'only' been dealing with Windows paging since 1990, but my experience has been that if you have sufficient RAM, you don't need a page file (unless a developer foolishly coded so that the game won't run if it detects no paging enabled). From a practical standpoint, modern desktops often have more RAM than the maximum memory commit you'll face running WinOS + one LOTRO client. Even in marathon sessions with multiple clients, my commit doesn't climb to over half of physical RAM. I've configured dozens of gaming rigs over the years, and found that (in cases where there's sufficient physical memory) games run faster with the page file switched off.

If you find you *must* have a pagefile (or ''swapfile''), setting it to a static size of 150% your physical RAM has worked very well for me and my friends over the decades. Static size is quite handy on the file fragmentation side of things. Also, if you have multiple hard drives, putting your page file on a non-game/non-OS drive will help out a bit (paging is then the only traffic on that bus).

The aforementioned setting [Adv Graphics -> Texture Cache Size] can give a nice performance boost if you have plenty of RAM to spare. =)

So I guess this means there's no chance of you fixing whatever you guys broke with Helm's Deep. Thanks for nothing then.

For the record, my computer could play the game *PERFECTLY FINE* before the Helm's Deep update. Now, because somebody decided to implement a shader that has not been used in *THE ENTIRE EXISTENCE* of the game, I'm screwed.

Oh, and this information should have been announced the day the pre-orders were available, if not earlier.

Runs the game on medium/high settings. Handles 6 man raids, epic battles and Bree just fine.

1.6gig Pentium 4
    2 gig ram
    Win XP sp3
    Radeon Hd 4800 512mb video

Also handles game as above but does load a tad slower on load screens.
    1.8gig Amd semperon 3000+
    2 gig ram
    Win XP sp3
    Nvidia geforce 8400gs 512mb video

Your tests are not exactly the minimum. Maybe min for runnung game smoothly on high settings but I would consider that to be recommended specs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast