We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

LOTRO Hardware Survey and Requirements Update

Recently we asked players to complete a survey telling us what kind of hardware they were running. We also conducted a number of tests with our game client running against a wide variety of hardware configurations including those mentioned by players. We also ran these tests against our minimum and recommended hardware configurations.

As a result of this process we’ve created new guidelines for minimum and recommended hardware for playing The Lord of the Rings Online.

New Minimum System Requirements

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz or AMD Equivalent
    • System Memory: 1GB (2GB for Windows Vista)
    • Graphics Card: at least 128MB Onboard graphics memory.
    • Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection
    • Direct X Version: Directx 9.0c
    • Disk Space: 12 GB (+3 GB for international clients)

New Recommended System Requirements

• CPU: Dual Core 2.66 GHZ
    • System Memory: 2GB
    • Graphics Cards: 512MB dedicated discrete card
    • Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection
    • Disk Space: 20 GB (+3 GB for international Clients)

Please keep in mind that these are requirements we feel should allow you to run the game reliably at low to moderate settings. If you wish to experience the game at the highest settings, additional system memory and higher end graphics cards should be considered.

Suggestions from our Technical support team

About Graphics cards
    The recommendations in the post above mention memory suggestions for discrete graphics cards, but please be aware that we suggest you have a video card that at least falls into the Nvidia 7000 series or the ATI equivalent range. Card falling under those performance levels may not offer sufficient performace, despite meeting the stated onboard memory requirements.

Intel integrated chipsets are good basic graphics solutions, but not ideal for gaming. If you’re using an older Intel integrated video solution you may experience poor performance and low frame rates on even modest settings. If you are using a newer Intel chipset, and the game reports that you can use DirectX 10 or 11 modes, we recommend not enabling these. Doing so may cause some graphical elements to display oddly or not display at all.

Use a 64 bit OS
    Although LOTRO is a 32bit application we strongly encourage players to use a 64 bit OS like Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Please note that Windows 8 and 8.1 are not officially supported). 32bit operating systems may encounter memory limitations when the game client is running and stability issues may result. This is especially true for those using the High definition installation which uses significantly larger amounts of graphics and system memory due to larger textures. Those who choose not to or cannot upgrade to a 64bit OS are encouraged to use the standard resolution client install to reduce memory usage and avoid the memory limits for applications on 32bit versions of Windows. (If you have already installed the High Resolution version, lowering “Texture Detail” in Options > ADV Graphics to medium or lower can also aid in avoiding this memory limitation and improving game stability and performance on 32bit systems.)
    Last edited by Sapience; Dec 19 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Are you sure your CPU requirements/recommendation aren't backwards?

Thanks for finally getting us the new requirements.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post

Crell, I read that as the original Pentium 4 CPU, which was single core, if I am not mistaken. I think the 3GHz is a typo for 2GHz, but I may be wrong about that as well. When the original P4 was launched, you could get one with a 2GHz clock.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Crell, I read that as the original Pentium 4 CPU, which was single core, if I am not mistaken. I think the 3GHz is a typo for 2GHz, but I may be wrong about that as well. When the original P4 was launched, you could get one with a 2GHz clock.
    I read it the same way. Intel made a Pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading technology and I had one that ran at 3.0 Ghz. The game ran great on that older system of mine.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#a52a2a]I want my signature panel back[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Maybe back then, but the larger towns in Rohan and newer regions require signifficantly more CPU power for the same framerates as the old ones. And for those wondering, even the (at launch) slowest Core 2 Duo at just 1.86GHz kicked the but of every Pentium 4 (and yes that includes all the dual-core Pentium D variants), only for the 3.73GHz Pentium Extreme Edition you could maybe call it a tie.

So I really don't think it's a mistake that the recommended Core 2 Duo has "only" 2.66GHz, while the minimum Pentium 4 is now 3GHz.
    It'd need at least some hypothetical 5GHz Pentium 4 to replace a Core 2 Duo E6700.

If you want some nostalgia, just read through reviews like this one:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2045
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Yes. If you read them the min spec is recommending a single core Pentium 4 while the recommended is recommending a multi-core processor of more recent vintage.

the minimum requirements may run the game, but that doesn't mean that they can play

pc can explode
    Warg r10, Spider r7, Blackarrow r6, Warleader r6,reaver r8,defiler r4

~metalcreep~

With this beautiful scenery of Lotro it is a 'sin' to recommend to play on medium graphics. But from high to ultra I would definitely recommend more.

Thanks for the update though it's very pleasing that you take the time to do such things especially before Christmas. I though that after the rush of HD release everyone is on holiday for the rest of the year.

Keep it up guys!

Maybe you can reccomend minimum requirements for running at full everything. That might help people wanting to gain the full effect without breaking the bank.
    “Child of the kindly West, I have come to know, if more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell.”
    Thorin Oakenshield

Hummm..... Perhaps I have a problem with my PC. Core I7 + 8GB RAM + ATI Radeon 8850M and it is impossible for me to play setting DirectX 10 or 11, got a lot of "graphic lag" if I set one of these versions. I play setting DirectX 9.0 on Ultra and it's around 50 ~ 60 FPS. High textures installation.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000023c564/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by FCRoosterQ View Post
    Maybe you can reccomend minimum requirements for running at full everything. That might help people wanting to gain the full effect without breaking the bank.
    I can share what I run on. I think anyone that's seen me live stream from my home rig knows I play with everything maxed.

Core I7 2.8GHZ (second Gen, so about 3 years old. Not the newer versions)
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 570 with 2GB
    Windows 7 64 Bit.

You don't really need the 16GB, 8 was fine I upped it to 16GB because I do a lot of video editing unrelated to the game. Same with the 2GB card, you could get a 1GB version and probably still be fine.

You could probably throw a lot more money at it too if you wanted.

P4 single core processor is a 10 year old chip.
    Dual Core is far more recent.

If you're still playing on a decade old system, my congratulations go to you.
    "Lemarque is an awful Burg. he only comes out of stealth when there's something to kill" - Kateaclysm
    Le Marque De Tueurs
    The Mark of Killers
    Formerly of Vilya

Quote Originally Posted by Lampion-Snowbourn View Post
    With this beautiful scenery of Lotro it is a 'sin' to recommend to play on medium graphics. But from high to ultra I would definitely recommend more.

Thanks for the update though it's very pleasing that you take the time to do such things especially before Christmas. I though that after the rush of HD release everyone is on holiday for the rest of the year.

Keep it up guys!
    I won't disagree, but we try to keep the specs down to what you can reasonably expect to be required to run the game at moderate settings and still enjoy it.

Obviously if you are planning a major upgrade anyway you're probably going to exceed both specifications by a considerable amount and be able to turn the graphics up to the highest level and really experience the incredible visuals our team has produced.

Recommended settings should be what developers think a machine can run with all settings cranked up and in ultra settings, thats why are "Recommended" settings.. and not only "recommended to play in low-medium (at 20-25FPS maybe?)".. thats just unfair for all those of use who use High-end gaming rigs.. i hate how horrible are the game experience in all the Riders oh Rohan Maps. (the wold, east rohan, west rohan, etc etc).. I have a i7 3770K@4.4ghz, GTX 780 @1200mhz, 16GB RAM@2133mhz, game installed in a Samsung 840 PRO 256 SSD, and still the game run choppy in those areas, major FPS Drops(as low as 10FPS in some east wall pars) every ~3secs.. extremely unstable Frametime(16ms - 100ms every 0.2secs) and major stuttering.. sometimes even Bree show those behavior.. a rig like this should be able to be locked at 60FPS with Vsync. (way worse if play without Vsync. a drop from 400+ FPS to 20FPS its not not good). I think those minimum settings and recommended settings should be to allow people play through the whole game at minimum playable settings with 30FPS. and not only while creating a new character and make some run of the game in a lonely map.. not fair to have a good experience only in lonely maps and the rest its just playable but with lot of problems.. its good to see the game are optimized for very very low end machines, but should be good to be optimized for 4+ Cores chips with better memory management.

Not all MHz are created equal.

I actually still have a Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPU sitting in my office closet. Heh, along with a Pentium (I) 60 and Pentium II 450.

I assure you, the Core 2 Duo I got a few years later would mop the floor with it even though it ran at only 2.4GHz.

Clock speed isn't all that indicative of performance when considered in isolation and between different eras. The architecture of the chip also comes into play so that a modern CPU is going to be quite a bit faster even at a lower clock speed.

Which is all to say. . . they didn't get the requirements backwards.

I built a computer with a used i7 3770 3.4ghz non-overlocked, Asrock B75M-DGS, 8GB budget DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, windows 7 64bit, a used GTX 650 ti boost 2gb GPU, a samsung 840 SSD and a 21.5" 1080p screen it was cheap cheep and cheerful and plays LotRO in full HD with all settings maxed, the only time I see it struggling is in a skraid with RKs healing and the client does tend to crash if I port to Aldburg and then swift straight to HD but I think that's more of a bug than a GPU issue. so you dont need a super computer to play LotRO maxed out, I'm sure I could have built it even cheaper and still been able to max settings, i do however think people should have been given 6 months notice about the change or even a year so they could save up and be ready when the time came, just springing it on people who were then left not being able to play HD even though they had paid for it was very shameful in my opinion.

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    @Sapience
    As a PC technician and professional hardware supporter I would recommend you try to push the Windows 8 support official ASAP. You do realize that all new computers sold since three-four months back only come with Windows 8/8.1 right? And I would assume that is Worldwide since it is Microsoft who made it happen. (I know, these things take time in "this world"...)

Also I suggest a change to one of the lines in the text, instead of writing XP as minimal requirement, why not write "XP/Vista/7"? Some people do not know what OS they are on, in particular when it comes to discern if they are on Vista or on 7 (you would not believe some of the cases I handle).
    Last edited by Marancil; Dec 27 2013 at 06:52 AM.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow, and two on Laurelin
    Malancil CHN, Historian | Calchiar CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite GRD, Armourer | Tarostel HNT, Armsman | Angredeth HNT, Tinker

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    end not enabling these. Doing so may cause some graphical elements to display oddly or not display at all.

Use a 64 bit OS
    Although LOTRO is a 32bit application we strongly encourage players to use a 64 bit OS like Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Please note that Windows 8 and 8.1 are not officially supported).
    I'm running on Windows 8.1 without issues. Certifying it on 8.x seems pretty obviously needed at this point. You have to make some effort to buy a new Windows based PC that is not Windows 8.x.

We also conducted a number of tests with our game client running against a wide variety of hardware configurations including those mentioned by players. We also ran these tests against our minimum and recommended hardware configurations.

New Minimum System Requirements

• System Memory: 1GB (2GB for Windows Vista)
    • Graphics Card: at least 128MB Onboard graphics memory.

Please keep in mind that these are requirements we feel should allow you to run the game reliably at low to moderate settings. If you wish to experience the game at the highest settings, additional system memory and higher end graphics cards should be considered.
    Are you saying you have tested the client on a 32bit OS with 1GB memory and a 128MB card in overhauled/new regions like the improved Bree, Rohan, Wildermore and the like and it didn't blow itself up in short order?
    Note the explicit mention of these regions as the problematic ones, hence only a sufficiently long test there can be counted as useful information wrt. system requirements for players that actually intend to play there.

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    Are you saying you have tested the client on a 32bit OS with 1GB memory and a 128MB card in overhauled/new regions like the improved Bree, Rohan, Wildermore and the like and it didn't blow itself up in short order?
    Note the explicit mention of these regions as the problematic ones, hence only a sufficiently long test there can be counted as useful information wrt. system requirements for players that actually intend to play there.

SNy
    You may want to read the second post, suggestions from the Tech Support team. Obviously we aren't talking about 15 year old Geforce 4 cards or Radeon 1900s, nor are we talking about (since you're commenting on the minimum requirements to play the game) playing on high settings. If you're having issues and you're playing on those specs I'd suggest turning things down/off and seeing how it impacts your gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    Yeah DX10 and DX11 tends to that for me as well with AMD GFX (7870 here), and DX10/11 also tends to crash very often for me, so I've given up on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorlmer View Post
    Hummm..... Perhaps I have a problem with my PC. Core I7 + 8GB RAM + ATI Radeon 8850M and it is impossible for me to play setting DirectX 10 or 11, got a lot of "graphic lag" if I set one of these versions. I play setting DirectX 9.0 on Ultra and it's around 50 ~ 60 FPS. High textures installation.
    I'm going way out on a limb here, especially since the data pool here is exactly two, but maybe something related to ATI drivers?

I'm going way out on a limb here, especially since the data pool here is exactly two, but maybe something related to ATI drivers?
    Well, SWTOR is the only game where I've had issues apart from LotrO. SWTOR have had Crash-to-Desktop issues with AMD videocards ever since that game was released. However, some of SWTORs latest patchnotes state "Improved stability for players with AMD video cards.", so I'm not sure if it is a similar issue as LotrO and/or requires fixing in the game rather than the drivers.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Dec 19 2013 at 04:30 PM.

nope. this happened quite regularly when i had my nVidia GTX 550Ti paired with my Athlon X4 955BE.

IIRC, there was something mentioned about a memory leak regarding DX10/11, which required everyone to dial things down to DX9. i ran this way for a while before i built my new rig. my new box runs an i7 3770k, 16gb of ram, and an HD 7850 w/2gb of GDDR5 memory and i still get the occasional hiccup after switching back to DX11. i'm pretty good on making sure my drivers are up-to-date.

both boxes run win 7 ultimate x64.

so, it's good to see the minimum reqs have been bumped up.
    The Lover®: So suave. So cool. So debonair. So smooth.

This is CYAN. This is TEAL. Know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dmark101 View Post
    nope. this happened quite regularly when i had my nVidia GTX 550Ti paired with my Athlon X4 955BE.

IIRC, there was something mentioned about a memory leak regarding DX10/11, which required everyone to dial things down to DX9. i ran this way for a while before i built my new rig. my new box runs an i7 3770k, 16gb of ram, and an HD 7850 w/2gb of GDDR5 memory and i still get the occasional hiccup after switching back to DX11. i'm pretty good on making sure my drivers are up-to-date.

both boxes run win 7 ultimate x64.

so, it's good to see the minimum reqs have been bumped up.
    Thanks for the info.. Nice to hear that isn't a problem with my laptop.. I suspected that seeing Rift, GW2 and FFXIV are running at maximum without any issues..
    Hope they fix it anyday.. DX 11 effects are great..
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000023c564/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast