We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Threaded View

Playing In Linux Under Wine

Hey guys! I am creating this guide so others can enjoy Lotro in Linux. The game itself works flawless for me in Ubuntu 12.04, but other distros should work as well with the recommended wine package.

Step 1: Installing Wine (The Right One) Current Stable Wine version is 1.6.2

The first step you must do is install Wine. To be on the safe side, I will show you how to add the wine repository to your list for future updates. Go ahead and type into your terminal:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    This will add the required download location for wine. Next, type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine1.6
    Wait for the installation to finish, and congratz! You now have wine on your LinuxBox.

Step 2: Installing LOTRO

Now that we have wine installed, you'll want to download the game. DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM THE LOTRO SITE. The downloader turbine provides does not work with wine, so you will have to download the entire package manually. To do so, click HERE.
    Wait for the download to finish and unzip everything to a New Folder on your desktop called "Lotro", or whatever you like. Next open a terminal, and type:

Code:
    cd Desktop
    cd ((Whatever your new filename was))
    wine LOTROSetup.exe
    Wait for the installation to finish, and open the game through the terminal with:

Code:
    cd .wine
    cd drive_c
    cd "Program Files (x86)"
    cd Turbine
    cd "The Lord of the Rings Online"
    wine TurbineLauncher.exe
    Phew! That was alot of typing. (After pylotro is installed, you will only need to type one line of code ) Now, wait for the game to patch. While the game is patching, to make starting the game easier you will want to install "Pylotro". Download it HERE. Download the debian package, and run it to install. (Be advised this is for Debian based Linux operating systems. You will have to use google and find the package you need if your system is different.) After the patching from the Turbine Client is finished, close it and open a terminal. Type in:
    Code:
    pylotro
    Enter your account details, select your server, and join Middle Earth!

If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here on this thread. OR you can private message me, and I'll reply ASAP.
    Last edited by Arganorn; Mar 06 2014 at 11:08 PM.