We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question about Heralds, Banners, and Standards

I am still leveling my captain, went away for a bit and just came back and am dealing with the big class changes.

I have looked through the stickied guide at the top of this forums and am still confused by things.

My captain has a ranged slot - typically if you used a herald you put herald armaments here to customize the look of your heralds and give them some buff; otherwise, if you were using standards, you put a Standard of War/Hope/Victory item here and you could then plant that standard somewhere to get the bonuses listed for that item.

But now we can have both a herald and a banner?

For example, we now have a skill in the LtC trait tree called Standard of War: "Calls forth a Standard of War, dealing damage to enemies while enhancing the attacks of nearby enemies" and it lists the ally bonuses and damage. The standard seems to be something you cast on or at an enemy and it lasts for 30 seconds.

But how does this Standard of War skill relate to the Standard of War item that I have in my inventory and could equip in my ranged slot? The name is the same but the bonuses are all different. Are these Standard items obsolete? If I am traited in LtC and can use the skill Standard of War, could I also equip a Standard item of a different type (like Hope) in my ranged slot and get those bonuses?

Just very very confused about how this is all supposed to work...

Thanks for any help or info anyone can provide!

EDIT: looks like I get the bonuses from whatever Standard item I equip in my ranged slot - I guess this means that herald armaments are obsolete? Or maybe you can equip an armament in your ranged slot before summoning your herald, then swap out the armament for a Standard item?
    Last edited by neuroloki; Dec 19 2013 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroloki View Post
    EDIT: looks like I get the bonuses from whatever Standard item I equip in my ranged slot - I guess this means that herald armaments are obsolete? Or maybe you can equip an armament in your ranged slot before summoning your herald, then swap out the armament for a Standard item?
    That's exactly right. The Devs are looking into combining standards and armaments AFAIK, but for now you can equip armament, pop herald and put standard back on for the extra stats.
    The 'Standard of X' skills (we have one in each traitline) are not really connected to the standard you have equipped, they're a buff of their own so you can have the buff from herald and buff from Standard of X at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    That's exactly right. The Devs are looking into combining standards and armaments AFAIK, but for now you can equip armament, pop herald and put standard back on for the extra stats.
    The 'Standard of X' skills (we have one in each traitline) are not really connected to the standard you have equipped, they're a buff of their own so you can have the buff from herald and buff from Standard of X at the same time.
    It's not _exactly_ right -- herald armaments still provide their respective herald bonuses, if you're into that type of stuff.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    It's not _exactly_ right -- herald armaments still provide their respective herald bonuses, if you're into that type of stuff.
    rockx also stated that the oathbreaker armaments have other hidden bonuses that make them the best to use in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Teyaha View Post
    rockx also stated that the oathbreaker armaments have other hidden bonuses that make them the best to use in general.
    Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by RockX View Post
    IIRC the differences in potency came from the armaments. There were some modifiers on them to make the oathbreakers more potent. Now they should simply be a cosmetic option, instead of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    That's exactly right. The Devs are looking into combining standards and armaments AFAIK,
    Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by RockX View Post
    As a heads-up, we'll be introducing new versions of the 'Armaments' which train players in how to summon a specific Herald appearance, like how Lore-master's Talismans currently function. You'll be able to exchange your existing Armament class items at Captain trainers for the new versions. This'll be coming in sometime after 12.1.

Quote Originally Posted by aardnebby View Post
    Incorrect.
    Don't see what's "incorrect" here. That the oathbreaker armaments used to have an extra bonus doesn't mean that the +herald armor on armaments has been rendered obsolete after 12.1. Oathbreakers may now be a cosmetic option, as compared to other herald appearances, but to the best of my knowledge, using armaments still provides herald armor bonus as before.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Don't see what's "incorrect" here. That the oathbreaker armaments used to have an extra bonus doesn't mean that the +herald armor on armaments has been rendered obsolete after 12.1. Oathbreakers may now be a cosmetic option, as compared to other herald appearances, but to the best of my knowledge, using armaments still provides herald armor bonus as before.
    oathbreaker armament summoned heralds also have more health than regular armament summoned heralds.

what rockx said was going to happen hasn't happened yet. he was referring to something that is already in the works.

Either way, I'd definitely slot either Banner of War or Banner of Hope in the ranged slot for now, as that will give you the most stats, but it does shaft the herald armor.

Then keep on doing what you're doing now, as what's in the range slot doesn't affect whether or not you can summon a herald, nor does it have any impact on your banner (ignoring the increase in stats that is).

Once this cluster gets sorted out, we'll likely have a completely different set of banners to use, which will (hopefully) do more than just give the heralds armor. Maybe we'll even see a few loot armaments.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West