We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Cost of Combination :(

Today I started combining all the relics I'd been saving, at the end of this session I'd created 5 x T10 relics, and the cost of that... approx. 68 gold. The cost per combination from T6 is 164s, 328s, 656s, 984s; with 25 -30 of each T6 type and 15-20 of each T7 that means nearly 100 T6 and 60 T7 combinations, it soon mounts up.
    The difference between some of the T9 and their T10 versions is minimal, for example the T10 Gem of Fortune a mere +1 Fate and +24 Crit Rating over the T9. 656s
    The reward seems very much not to equate to the effort expended or the costs involved.
    Then melded 3 of them to get a Westemnet Setting of Endings which included melds to get the correct 3 relics, and the cost of that... approx. 13,400 shards.
    Shards could be got by refining crafted relics and the Compendiums required to do that could be quested for at minimal time cost for the Supreme, Westfold & Eastemnet craft levels.
    Now for the Westemnet level there is no quest and we have to buy them at the skirmish camp using Marks & Medallions, which have better uses i.e. shards and symbols.

The cost of combination (silver) needs reducing especially given the minimal nature of the improvments.
    The number of relics in each combination from T9 - T10 needs to be reduced to 2.
    The cost of melding (shards) needs to be reduced.
    There needs to be a quest for the Westemnet Compendium.

Don't combine more than you need, then. Get 6 T10s and then refine the rest. Gold sinks are necessary in the game, and there aren't very many of them.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Don't combine more than you need, then. Get 6 T10s and then refine the rest. Gold sinks are necessary in the game, and there aren't very many of them.
    I totally agree. The combining is probably the only massive gold sink in the game and necessary to slow espescially money inflation (and also shards). Okay now we have the 2nd housing chest, too, but it's only a one-time expense. As you said, the improvement is not huge between T9 and t10 as well as between the tiers of "special" relics you need to meld. So for those who can afford to spend 100g+ to completely max out relics on their weapons shall do so. Actually it is very much appreciated as far as I'm concerned. And if you only have the money to meld T6 relics, you at least have something to work towards.
    Also it's not like there is any content that requires you to equip those "uber-relics" right now, so no need to rush .

The most expensive relics I slotted on both my lvl95 toons are Tier 8 and lvl 80 (Eastemnet), although I could somewhat afford the highest tiers. But it's just not worth the effort IMHO. But again, those who feel the nedd to so, go ahead and save Lotro's economy .

Quote Originally Posted by Mai-Hon View Post
    The difference between some of the T9 and their T10 versions is minimal, for example the T10 Gem of Fortune a mere +1 Fate and +24 Crit Rating over the T9. 656s
    So don't do it?

Why do something at a large cost if the demonstrable benefits are "minimal". I always stop one tier below cap, with one or two exceptions, because 'losing' <<<1% of a stat/buff boost is not something I'm OCD about.

Fix the PROCESS of deconstruction/combination first - ALL THAT CLICKING - then sort the cost out.

100s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Hrolfdan (MN), Aldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rumbold (BG): The little ones - Rumbelina (MN), Brai (RK)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), Snowbourn
    A Noob for All Seasons

Agreed with some of the above - do as much as you need to. You can even use t8 relics or meld some nice and craft.

Just a question, how much gold did the mobs drop in those instances that got you enough relics to meld 5xT10?
    I bet it was a multitude of those 68g...each mob drops like ~160 silver these days, I think.

As much as I hate dumping so much gold in mindless clicking too, I have to agree with the people here that this game already has a problem with gold sinks, you keep making plenty of gold even if you don't get it from other players through trading stuff.

And as you said, right now T10 relics aren't really worth the effort anyway. Until there are some proper new "true" relics, I keep using the level 80 ones, since I still consider them best in most cases. Heck I even still love the level 75 (Great River) "True Setting of the Long Winter" for its 30 Fate that makes its overall crit rating still rather competitive and gives some power regen in the process, and it's quite easy to get nowadays, 4x T8 + 4992 shards are almost peanuts by now.
    PyLotRO with Python 3.x support and bugfixes: [url]https://github.com/Lynx3d/pylotro[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Just a question, how much gold did the mobs drop in those instances that got you enough relics to meld 5xT10?
    I bet it was a multitude of those 68g...each mob drops like ~160 silver these days, I think.
    I know I've farmed Legendary weapons and leveled them for years now. I used to level them to 21 and then decon for the relics. There were so many changes that now I find it better for me to level the item to max for the 2 or 3 tier 7 I may get. it makes it easier for the next level jumps. So having done this over the years I have lots of gold to do whatever I need. I don't know how I would approach this aspect of gameplay if I just joined or just started the game. I always felt this was sort of ill conceived when they brought out legendary weapons for the many issues you read today. I expect that this will also drastically change to reflect a weapon tree in the near future. I agree with the poster who suggested you be more selective in what you level up rather than bulk this. I may even work backwards by picking a goal relic and then trace backwards what is necessary to create it. This eliminates chance and aggravation and allows you to see what the cost will specifically be. Good Luck
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000010fc74/signature.png]Mortae[/charsig]