We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    You only need to look as far as Everquest 2 to see housing done right ... it is utterly amazing. Free-form, insane amount of available items ... only limitations is the X number of objects within the home allowed.

Also, new hobby for housing ...

Carpenter: Make a wide variety of housing items, something far beyond the limits few we have now for main professions.

OR

Add tons of new recipes for the current professions ... bolster trade.

Also increase trophies ... introduce home-bound pets- maybe even NPCs ... couldn't hurt to let players have a NPC family.
    "I swear to God, if this thing turns into a zombie attack, I am quitting." - Jack Carter

No slots.

There was a game that I played long time ago, Project Entropia (now Entropia Universe), which housing system gave freedom to the home owner to place a limited number of items anywhere in the house, there weren't predetermined slots for items. You could place materials, weapons or armor in any way you wanted. People with imagination made real works of art with food and raw materials, also there were player organized contests to choose the best decoration.
    I remember this system as the best I've played.

TP for buying chest space and not mithril coins!

Housing items account bound please, lots of problems moving stuff round.

More colours and paints, a paint wheel of some sorts.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e000000001990/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Lose the hook system all together! It's almost 2014. Allow a max number of items inside/outside the house, but allow items to be placed wherever a player wants. Allow them to rotate, and scale them. This allows players to also "make do" with what they have to make different things. For instance, maybe a table submerged into the floor makes a cool looking rug.

You could then have contests where players vote on different houses for rankings.

I'd also like to see the storage containers in houses expandable via gold. Yes yes, I get it, monetization is an important thing, but I figured I'd just throw it out there.

Is it possible to "skin" the houses? Rather than have the same look in every single neighborhood, it might be nice to have every neighborhood look different simply by the outside house textures.

I'd like to see a reason for even having a house. Sure, it's extra space, but honestly, I never go to my house. I pay upkeep on it, but as mentioned above, the hook system really limits creativity in decorating. Would I go to my house more if I could trade skill in it? Personally, probably not. There are enough places around for me to do that. Maybe the housing neighborhoods have daily quests that bring people to them?

I want a couple of mannequins to place in my house and display my favourite outfits!
    COSMETIC LOTRO

a blog about Middle-earth outfits

As a huge fan of decorating in game, and the housing on whole here's what i'd like to see!

1. Possibly giving VIPs two houses per account. As a roleplayer I know how frustrating it can be to have to pick that one special character that gets a house!
    2. More freedom with where items are placed. Preferably free-place, but if this isn't possible, giving far more option!
    3. Thin furniture being able to go into small furniture slots if slots are still absolutely needed. (much in the way small furniture can in large)
    4. The ability to: A. At best design the floorplan of the house to fit into a given grid. - or if this isn't possible - B. Have multiple floor-plans possible, so that you buy the /lot/ and choose the house that's put on it!
    [B]Crickhollow:[/b] Evandriel, Elgilleth, Rathrilwing,
    [B]Landroval:[/b] Lelyaruivë [Fueled by Rum and Spite], Dalflen , Zanyadel
    [B]Laurelin: [/b] Silmacalë
    [B]Creeps: [/b] Landroval: Ellianakh (warg), Ellianokh (defiler), [Rage Against the Freeps]

I was certainly disappointed when I learned that housing updates didn't make it in time. It was what I was most looking forward to this year.
    But I still look forward to it, again. I don't actually much care for things other than housing and festivals and that is why I play.

Now I want to express some concerns... I hope that during these changes I will not ever lose my houses. I have I think 21 at this point, and it is not something I will ever be able to rebuild especially if things start getting more expensive like with storage.
    I know that generally people have one, or maybe a few and a kinhouse, but for me this is the biggest worry right now. It has been a lot of work. So I'm truly afraid...
    I also wish that it will stay available from low levels. This is from a perspective of someone that will never be high level.

I'm also worrying that something will happen to the neighborhood system. I love the peace in them and walking around and see who lives there. This summer I was in the shire housing area and really realized the existence of the party tree in there. I could sit down in peace, summoning no people to throw things at me.
    And I just love living in a village of sorts. Even if in my local villages the people I see most are my own characters. :P I also like that there are no hordes of strangers around all the time. I love seeing another person running around though, this has happened few times.

Now all that said, other people have good ideas and are good at expressing them which I'm really not. I only wish for more decorating options, and the already mentioned possibility of crafting stations in neighborhoods is also something I'm liking. Again, no people throwing things at me is a plus.
    Last edited by Linet; Dec 18 2013 at 05:25 AM.

Im not reading what everyone else says before I write this.

A second story or a basement (which I know is already there because I have fallen in it) Sure I was only a poor hobbit when this crazy adventure started, could barely kill brigands in the shire, but now I could wipe all of them out with one skill. I have grown and so has my characters wealth. He could totally afford to put on an addition to the house.

Okay i know people on Arkenstone have heard me say this before but I want workbenches/forges/studies/ovens in the housing area. I don't say that is should be free, or cheap but here is my idea. Each neighborhood has the option of building the crafting facilities, but all the people living in the neighborhood have to help. Say, like the bounders bounty, neighborhood tokens dropped from mobs rare like shards or tomes. Then players could turn those in to help their community build the crafting facilities. Think about it. It could bring solo players together, build REAL communities, and spread goodwill.

Why oh why oh why do I still have to leave housing to enter an instance? So i die a bunch of times, port home to repair/sell/vault(because its way cheaper there) then I have to port out of the housing to reenter the instance. its a waste of time and a huge inconvenience.

Lastly, I would like to interact with my housing items more. I have a seer orb I can't look into, a treasure chest I cant open and wear some jewelery, a swan pooland boar fountain I can't drop a coin into, there is no looking into Mordirith's mirror, no touching a slimy tentacle of helchy, maybe I could wield Udunion's sword while in housing, or poke the eye of my troll head(just for fun), can I give the mouse some cheese(perhaps barrow cheese), cant the dwarf drawbridge move? if I whistle at my song bird will it reply? I have been dying to try on Remmenaeg's armour. Can I play the drum I got out of moria? and seriously. I have all these maps of lands on my walls in my house but they don't take me anywhere. Wouldn't it be nice if all those maps could port you - with Cooldown (a day or two) of course.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000a128d/01005/signature.png]Mattard[/charsig]

I have a few points:
    - No more hooks. Maybe you can make it like the sims, with a grid
    - If you won't do that make more hooks. And if you do that, make sure that they can be more versatile. It would be better that thin and small furniture would be one type. Same goes for large and special furniture.
    - More ceiling places, and more places to place rugs. If you still have those hooks of course. I would love to have ceiling lamps in every room in my house. And I want to have the rugs on more and more realistic spaces.
    - Add a quicktravel spot to the major cities. This makes it easier to go to your house and back again. You could make stables in your lawn, but I think it is more fitting to make that in the neighbourhood.
    - Add a facility to craft. There could be several options for this. You can maybe get them into your house or garden (workbench or the oven for sure). Or you can make a small crafting hall, and also an auction hall in it?
    - Make an auction hall in the neighbourhood. As I already mentioned. I noticed that it is so much easier if it would be in your neighbourhood as well.
    - Make the chest upgrades more affordable. And make it please just in gold, or maybe TPs.
    - To have a mannequin in your house, showing your favourite outfit. This one would be so nice, it is a small thing.
    [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rv9Q24t.jpg[/IMG]
    [b][url='http://ananorielmiddleearth.tumblr.com/']Ananoriel's Middle Earth[/b][/url] - My LOTRO blog on Tumblr.[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    "Housing is still high on our list of objectives for the year, and we look forward to hearing your suggestions! We’ll be talking more about this throughout the year."
    With all due respect and at the risk of just echoing what other people have said, but you know our suggestions, we have been giving them for 6 years. "Talking more about it throughout the year" just sounds like a stalling tactic.
    What is there left to talk about? Browsing through this thread I see nothing that hasn't been suggested before a dozen times, and the premise that you STILL require more feedback feels quite disingenuous.

A housing update was slated for the coming season, it was communicated fairly early and clearly it would not be coming with the expansion, so far so good, I have no issues with that, likely it is no easy matter to code.
    But now it sounds like you haven't even started, or had to start from scratch, if that is the case some honesty on the issue would be appreciated.

I continually fail to understand why Turbine has to be so secretive about everything? I think many of us have learned to translate Turbinese into normal English. You yourself have poked fun at this with your in depth explanation of "soon".

What would be a lot more productive is if you get the dev in charge of this revamp to give you a short list of what is possible and then ask us what changes we would like him to focus on. That way you get the information you really want and we know what to expect out of this.

If I offended anyone with my cynicism I apologise, this post is no reflection on anyone that has taken the time to give their ideas on how to improve the game, in fact, I applaud you for it, but I hope you can all find yourselves in my request for some actual information on the state of this revamp.
    Proud leader of [url]www.thewesternalliance.org[/url] On [EN-RP] Laurelin

Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Some excellent suggestions in this thread, here's a few others that I haven't seen yet:

1. Make the housing neighbourhoods feel part of the towns

At the moment the neighbourhoods feel dead, frankly I don't think I've *ever* seen anyone in my neighbourhood. One of the reasons for this is the entrances to the various neighbourhoods are miles away from their respective towns meaning most people either never bother to visit their house or only ever use ports to get to/from there.

If the entrances were closer to or integrated into the town both would feel more alive since there would be more people around. e.g. put a portal to the hobbit neighbourhoods in Michel Delving (this assumes of course that the neighbourhoods remain as instances with portals). Neighbourhoods could have multiple portals which could make them handy travel short-cut links further increasing foot-fall.

A common request is to add all hub facilities to neighbourhoods (AH, crafting, etc) which concerns some people as it might make open-world hubs obsolete. If the houses were closer to their towns this might be less of an issue since it would be relatively easy to 'nip into town'.

2. Better house structure variability and customisation

At things stand we only get three types of house (of each racial style) which all look essentially identical (inside and out). Some random thoughts:
    - variable-sized houses: ability to one-off add extra rooms to your house, scaled pricing similar to vault chests (i.e. increasing gold prices, luxury sizes via TP)
    - stables: been mentioned a few times, would be great to be able to 'slot' some of your mounts and some horsey cosmetics into a stable
    - house exterior customisation: change the windows, choose/dye doors, add chimneys, trees on hobbit holes, change/dye building materials, etc.

3. Gardening?

As well as yard furniture how about a new gardening hobby (6 years, 1 hobby!)
    We could buy garden borders, flower boxes, pots, etc. and drop them into yard slots, then use the hobby to grow flowers, bushes, trees, lawns, etc.
    Maybe the 'gardens' would become over-grown and full of weeds over time?
    Some of the 'gnomes' from the new Rohan houses would be cool as well

4. Value for money

Finally, I'm sure that any changes to housing will be a mixture of free* changes to housing mechanics/furniture plus some more 'luxury' stuff that we would have to buy with TP. I'm fine with this but please make the prices reasonable: no warsteed dyes for 1000s of TP thank you.

* = free as in open-to-everyone but costing in-game gold.

- stride

Quote Originally Posted by Thoronthor View Post
    With all due respect and at the risk of just echoing what other people have said, but you know our suggestions, we have been giving them for 6 years. "Talking more about it throughout the year" just sounds like a stalling tactic.
    What is there left to talk about? Browsing through this thread I see nothing that hasn't been suggested before a dozen times, and the premise that you STILL require more feedback feels quite disingenuous.

A housing update was slated for the coming season, it was communicated fairly early and clearly it would not be coming with the expansion, so far so good, I have no issues with that, likely it is no easy matter to code.
    But now it sounds like you haven't even started, or had to start from scratch, if that is the case some honesty on the issue would be appreciated.

I continually fail to understand why Turbine has to be so secretive about everything? I think many of us have learned to translate Turbinese into normal English. You yourself have poked fun at this with your in depth explanation of "soon".

What would be a lot more productive is if you get the dev in charge of this revamp to give you a short list of what is possible and then ask us what changes we would like him to focus on. That way you get the information you really want and we know what to expect out of this.

If I offended anyone with my cynicism I apologise, this post is no reflection on anyone that has taken the time to give their ideas on how to improve the game, in fact, I applaud you for it, but I hope you can all find yourselves in my request for some actual information on the state of this revamp.
    Thats why they formed the player council. Their opinion is the community's opinion. At least thats how the producers letter reads. They have been getting the same feedback on housing for years. So whats the hold-up.

Use layers mechanic, or make instances from each city, Bree, Snowbourn, Ost Galadh, Galtrev, 21st hall etc. and allow us to buy flats/houses there. Allow it to be part of world.
    Gifford brg // Clodvig mns // Clodas wrd
    Clodburz dfl
    WeRock
    Yes, english is not my native language.

Get rid of hooks and go with free placement of items
    Offer "apartment" type home on unused doors in towns and major hub areas.
    Offer Kinship neighborhoods where the Kinship owns it and you need to be a member to obtain a lot. The kin leader could also make choices like road color/materials, fence design, what looks are used for gazebos/support buildings etc.
    Get away from selling lots with houses on them and just sell lots, that a house of any size can be placed.
    Offer all the existing race houses as free options, and offer other houses as store items to help offset development costs. (I'd totally drop some TP for Tom Bombadil's house)
    Offer additional interior layouts for houses/apartment as store items.
    Offer new neighborhoods in new regions that match the themes of the region, eg Eregion, Moria, Lothlorien, Mirkwood, Dunland, Rohan.
    Have the neighborhoods change with the seasons: Winter snow, spring flowers, autumn leaves
    Make more of the furnishings used to decorate places throughout middle earth available to players
    Seasonal variants of more housing items. Example: Autumn Elm Tree would have a Ice covered winter version, budding Spring version, Green Summer version. This could also be applied to walls that would have decorated versions of the same walls for the various seasons, or flower boxes with different plants in them.
    Add exterior house options to change the walls/roof/door/foundation texture and color.
    Allow each character to buy its own house/apartment instead of it being account wide.
    Better connect neighborhoods to key hub either through moving the entry portal closer, or adding a stable that travels to all major hubs.

Housing changes can be a lot of work, but I believe that work can be paid for by expanding the systems and offering additional cosmetic options through the store.

Simple - More hooks. If you earn a new decoration, you want to show it off. Please give us loads more hooks, both interior and exterior. Thank you!

EQ2 and SWG both showed what is possible with housing. Max number of items, placed and scaled however you want. I saw some of the most creative and amazing things. One person used objects to make an accurate map of the galaxy on their ceiling. Another made a mosaic of one of the main character's faces. Another just set it up to look like the smuggler's den it was.

EQ2 was BIG on the crafted furniture, and woodworking should be expanded to allow that as well. Allow PCs to make housing chests (packed, of course), but require the maker to "purchase" a lock (key ingredient) for the chests from the Store. This keeps folks from flooding the market by requiring some grift being paid to Turbine.

More options for paint/textures. Allow large house or kinship house to place crafting structure in their houses. Limit of 2 for Large houses, and All crafting structures for Kinship houses.

I'll just reiterate what I said back when housing was first introduced: eliminate hooks and allow free placement. You could limit the number of items we could use, or do something like you've done with skills and give us a certain number of points to spend on items (thin = 1, small floor = 2, large floor = 3, special = 5, etc). That would limit users on the number and types of items they could place, but not where they could place them.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=deepskyblue]Lle merna aut farien?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000005532/01008/signature.png]Northwoods[/charsig][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    Playing music in LotRO is as easy as [URL="http://abcnotation.org.uk/"]ABC![/URL][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Wow, it kind of blows my mind to see 'housing' listed high on peoples' wish lists. I don't even own a house. Well, I guess if people really enjoy it in the game, I hope you get some really cool stuff to hang on your walls. Maybe it's part of the emersion thing? Some people have obviously put a lot of time, thought and effort into. Maybe I'll ride through some of the neighborhoods sometime, and check it out.

Hey, here's an idea folks might like. How about Christmas lights and trees that you could put around your houses as festival prizes?
    Last edited by Nouri; Dec 18 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Casinoari - Rank 15 RK
    Malakorou - Rank 10 Defiler
    Casinari - Original Challenger of Saruman Minstrel

I've just skimmed this thread, so this may have come up before. (sorry!)

How about a shared housing storage, dedicated to holding housing items, where the tabs could be by type (either manually or by design), and it's accessed via a 'closet' or something that's hookable, and usable from within the house (as well as as the banker).

I know hooks can't go away, so I'll echo the other comments: Please, may I have some more?

Quote Originally Posted by MrkightGamerPhx View Post
    Why oh why oh why do I still have to leave housing to enter an instance? So i die a bunch of times, port home to repair/sell/vault(because its way cheaper there) then I have to port out of the housing to reenter the instance. its a waste of time and a huge inconvenience.
    I think I know the answer to that one - it's because housing is an instance, and you can't enter an instance while in another instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    The problem here is that it will depopulate other crafting areas in the game. We want to see players in areas other than max level end game and at home crafting, especially on servers where lower level players are rare. A solution would be to have better travel options from housing to nearby public crafting areas.
    Frankly, it is incredibly attractive to me to have a crafting facility without the following annoyances:

• immature players leaping about the facility to garner attention (3 Farrows in Bree is notorious for this)

• lore-masters casting spells that knock out my character while I'm crafting or interacting with the Vault Master;

• lore-masters taking up extra space with their pets, and;

• minstrels playing songs I don't want to hear with me as a captive audience.

Personally, I think crafting halls should be no-spell, no-pet, no-music zones. Barring that, give me a facility in my house where I can control who gets in and can craft in peace.

A basement crafting facility in Kinship houses and possibly even as a third private housing option above Deluxe or even as an add-on for Deluxe would definitely get my vote. Being able to craft among friends, especially in my kinship's house, would be incredibly cool.

And FWIW I concur with just about all the suggestions made here. Housing starts out fun and rapidly deteriorates into frustration as the limits of the system are felt almost immediately.

I especially find the travel options for housing areas to be ridiculously bad. The only character I ever visit my kinship or personal house with is my Hunter because it doesn't take for-freaking-ever to go someplace else afterwards.

1. Allow a house per character. Would solve problem of why even bother to get new decorations since no where to put them.
    2. New housing neighborhoods; Rohan, Lothlorien, Moria, other areas perhaps.
    3. More hooks.
    *Shaedoe 100 Loremaster "The Diva" * Boudicia 100 Captain * Asilith 100 Hunter * *Elisel 100 Mini * Lywynn 100 Guard * Pupyluv Rank 6 Stalker

Let's see:

1. More/placeable/infinite hooks
    2. Outside stable displaying my various mounts (or a few selected ones)
    3. A couple of my alts randomly appearing to wander through my house, and/or kinnies in the kin house (opt-outable for those who value their privacy)
    4. Options for changing the exterior appearance of my house similar to the wall/floor options inside.
    5. Ability to create a kinship neighborhood (although I admit this would be a nightmare to implement!)
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Sonsy 85 Hunter[/COLOR];[COLOR="#008000"] Lodellee 85 Minstrel[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#B22222"]Bellamee 85 Guardian[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#006400"]Tennac 84 Champion[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#DAA520"]Sunnwyn 78 Captain[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#cccccc"]Missgrey 76 Lore-master[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#0000FF"]Pwnie 55 Burglar[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#996633"]Meowzen 48 Warden[/COLOR];[COLOR="#EE82EE"] Elsbetha 12 Rune-keeper[/COLOR]
    [B]Leader[/B] - Protectors of the Free [I]and [/I]Free of the Protectors - Firefoot

24. Lightbulb Housing ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    "Housing is still high on our list of objectives for the year, and we look forward to hearing your suggestions! We’ll be talking more about this throughout the year."
    I look forward to seeing these changes! I have a few ideas of my own. Please take them (as well as the other great ideas from other players) into consideration.

1: I think it would be cool if players had more choices in terms of themes (i.e., a different kind of house for each region, instead of just the three starting areas). For example, the north downs has ruins that you can get a house in, or in moria, or in angmar, or in Rohan, etc)
    2: I think there should be three different stages of houses instead of two (account and kinship). Instead you can have a character house, account house, and kinship house.
    3: Instead of set hooks for housing items, it would be cool if you could set the X, Y, and Z axis for housing items.
    4: It would be cool if there was more storage space, and you could have crafting facilities inside of your house.

Practical uses for housing!

Copy Asheron's Call. Buff and portal items people can use and share. I actually ran into people at the housing because there were reasons to go there periodically besides storage and cosmetics.

Once a day, drink from some magic fountain at the kinhouse to get +%5 exp for an hour.
    Tap dance on the magic anvil for your daily crafting boost.
    Pet the magic trout for +10 fishing.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast