We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Official Feedback: Housing

"Housing is still high on our list of objectives for the year, and we look forward to hearing your suggestions! We’ll be talking more about this throughout the year."

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    1. More hooks, if place-able hooks aren't possible. I'd rather have a lot of hooks close together, thus running the risk of items clipping, to fine tune placement of items. You could always limit housing decor to X number of items in a house, and no more after that number, despite how many free hooks you have left if need be (hopefully not needed).

2. Neighborhood crafting facilities if you can't have crafting facilities in your house. If you can make it house specific, make it accessible via an area transition hatch (to the basement or attic or wherever) within the home. Perhaps limit them to Deluxe and Kinship houses.

3. More variety when it comes to decor. There are very few items for certain categories, such as Chandeliers. And have items for all regions so that if you have a design style such as Rohirric or Elvish, there will be an assortment of items per category for each.
    Last edited by LethalLethality; Dec 17 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Tolella Hlothran ~ Minstrel ~ 115
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

One of my characters has half his vault full of stuff to decorate my house, which is already fairly decorated, but I cannot for the life of me remember how.

I'm not asking for a reminder, just suggesting that there should be some obvious interface to access. I think the current way is some key combination to enter decorating mode. And I think there were some instructions when I first bought the place...3 years ago...that got misplaced. Somehow. Maybe sold to make space in my inventory (but that's another thread).

Please bring back trophies. I still run lower level instances with my kin just because we want a particular trophy for the kin house. Even just banners of victory that we can hang from our ceilings like some medieval castle would be cool. And yes, I know warbands dropped some but they looked lame and many were outdoors only.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019e945/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    One of my characters has half his vault full of stuff to decorate my house, which is already fairly decorated, but I cannot for the life of me remember how.
    When you are standing in your yard or in your house, look at your mini-map. You will see an icon that looks like a bouquet of flowers on the bottom left of the frame of your mini-map. Click it to toggle decoration mode.

I recommended making a dress up mannequin long ago and I'm pleased to see you folks implemented it, albeit more for driving cosmetic sales. Now I also when you reform hooks in the house, you allow players to purchase a blank mannequin where we can store our outfits. A majority of my bank space is taken up due to sets that it would be nice to get that space back.

The whole point of housing is customization, so actually being able to put things in the house as opposed to having a very limited hook system would be great.

If you want to take an example of a well implemented housing system, look at original Everquest:
    • Free form housing design with prefab houses and/or open construction options
    • Nearly unlimited item placement with full control over location, rotation, and size
    • Ability to convert in-game items into housing objects to create your own trophies
    • LARGE and expandable workspaces
    • Combination of decorations, utility, and fun items that can be used to enhance your housing space
    • X, Y, and Z axis control over decorations both indoor and outdoor

And the argument that something like that is too hard seems pretty ridiculous since EQ and it's engine are far older than LOTRO and it was obviously able to be implemented.

Or if you want really lofty, awesome goals:
    • In-world/Open world housing that abandons the instance model (a la Vanguard or UO)
    • Multiple theme options within different areas (I.E. different styles of housing - Shire 1 Michael Delving; Shire 2 Woodhall; Elf 1 Grey Havens; Elf 2 Mirkwood; etc.)
    • Multiple land plots per character/account
    • Additional tiers of housing (Guild Castles [probably not lore appropriate], or better than just small/large houses)
    Last edited by Gedrevn; Dec 17 2013 at 05:08 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Gedrevn View Post
    [*]In-world/Open world housing that abandons the instance model (a la Vanguard or UO)
    I don't like this idea. In those games it ruined the look for the world; UO especially. Maybe it works in a free form game with no set lore or pre-existing maps. We don't want shanty towns in Shire or subdivisions in Bree.

[*]Multiple theme options within different areas (I.E. different styles of housing - Shire 1 Michael Delving; Shire 2 Woodhall; Elf 1 Grey Havens; Elf 2 Mirkwood; etc.)
    What I'd like is that the existing housing areas stop being isolated enclaves away from civilization. Bree and Duillond housing is the worst offenders here. Ie the Shire housing should feel like a real town, either a part of Michel Delving or at least a town on a major road; and Bree housing should be in the Bree area, perhaps near Staddle or such.

One idea I've had in the past is that the housing actually be in the existing world. Doors exist everywhere that go nowhere. Turn those doors into instanced housing. The door on a farm house in Bywater becomes a door to an actual house. Mutliple players can share that door and go to their own house instance. The same with all those unused doors in Bree, Thorin's hall, Celondim, Rivendell, etc. You get a choice of all the styles you like this way. This means the housing is integrated into the world itself instead of replicating 1960s gated communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post

One idea I've had in the past is that the housing actually be in the existing world. Doors exist everywhere that go nowhere. Turn those doors into instanced housing. The door on a farm house in Bywater becomes a door to an actual house. Mutliple players can share that door and go to their own house instance. The same with all those unused doors in Bree, Thorin's hall, Celondim, Rivendell, etc. You get a choice of all the styles you like this way. This means the housing is integrated into the world itself instead of replicating 1960s gated communities.
    This is a great idea.

I don't understand why I am limited to one house per account. Why can't each character have a house ( with visiting privileges by anyone I want)?

My house has a back yard. With no hooks.

The current hooking arrangement satisfies almost no one. Maybe the store should sell alternate arrangements of hooks, some for indoors, some for outdoors. Or, flexy-hooks that allow more choice in what to attach.

I'd really like a trophy case in which I could put items I no longer use but can't give up for sentimental reasons. This entry is applicable to the storage thread, too. But to be a trophy case, it would have to show the icon of the item, if not the item.

*raises hand* I've got a few!!
    1. A decorating hook where housing chests used to be in the deluxe (and I presume kinship) houses.
    2. Make it possible to put chairs next to tables--for example, next to the academic tables or the breakfast tables.
    3. Put small furniture hooks next to the fireplaces for chairs.
    4. Center the rugs in the rooms. This is a pet peeve of mine--every single rug I've placed is off center in its respective room.
    5. Standard Bree houses--make it possible to put a piece of furniture on top of the rug in the front room. I believe, but am not certain, that it's possible in the standard Shire house.
    6. Fix the scholar bookstand (Bilbo's birthday reward). They all have an "use me hand" if you mouse over them, but don't do anything. Maybe make the book pages turnable?
    7. Stainable (dyeable) wood furniture. All the wood furniture from Bree looks like raw wood. It would give us something to do with all those brown-hued dyes.
    8. More craftable items that are a little more formal.
    9. improve the yards in Bree-Land Homesteads. Some are mostly dirt.
    10. Add a gate slot at the entrance to house paths for any house that has a fence. You could make garden gates and arbors (like the one at the entrance to the Lowbanks Estate in Bree) available for purchase or crafting.
    11. Last one (I promise!) How about letting woodworkers make a rocking chair? I'd love to sit by the fire in a rocking chair at the end of a hard day questing and just relax. (It would be the perfect complement for a book-reading emote ).

I don't like this idea. In those games it ruined the look for the world; UO especially. Maybe it works in a free form game with no set lore or pre-existing maps. We don't want shanty towns in Shire or subdivisions in Bree.
    Done well I think this works out very cool, but it is also possible to do it poorly and make it look like UO

Your point about instanced doors (EQ2 style) while IMO not quite as cool as well implemented open world, is a good option to spread things out from how it is now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

What I'd like is that the existing housing areas stop being isolated enclaves away from civilization. Bree and Duillond housing is the worst offenders here. Ie the Shire housing should feel like a real town, either a part of Michel Delving or at least a town on a major road; and Bree housing should be in the Bree area, perhaps near Staddle or such. One idea I've had in the past is that the housing actually be in the existing world. Doors exist everywhere that go nowhere. Turn those doors into instanced housing. The door on a farm house in Bywater becomes a door to an actual house. Mutliple players can share that door and go to their own house instance. The same with all those unused doors in Bree, Thorin's hall, Celondim, Rivendell, etc. You get a choice of all the styles you like this way. This means the housing is integrated into the world itself instead of replicating 1960s gated communities.
    Couldn't agree more with these ideas. For example, Bree is a big town with many beautiful houses and locations. But they are all so empty and devoid of life because no one is ever going in and out of them. Not sure how feasible this idea is, but heck, I bet someone could figure out how to make it work. And if housing will continue in the instance communities, at least give them a feeling of liveliness! There is a great stage overlooking the lake in the hobbit housing community and a nice little neighborhood center, but you never see anyone doing anything in these places. I think it would be cool if bands played at night on the stage and if there were social gatherings of NPCs in the town center. Give the neighborhoods some life, something to draw players into the neighborhoods more often. If you're going to make such a nice setting for all the housing communities, go the extra step and make them fun.
    [COLOR="#00FF00"]Every time someone uses Gandalf's quote from Peter Jackson's "The Fellowship of the Ring" where he says "You shall not pass!", I come a little closer to snapping... It's "You [I][U]cannot[/U][/I] pass!" for Durin's sake![/COLOR]

Now there's a great idea. Begin here I say!

Many other great ideas in this thread. A lot of it though is kind of 'fluffy', to do with decorations, with functionality, or even just location. Shouldn't something far above all that come first??

For me LAYOUT was always the most important thing to consider - choice to customize must exist in MMOs to avoid the cookie cutter problem. The current drawback with housing is that they are all the same (boringly identical actually). So I'd like to see a system where the player can actually DESIGN the layout of their house, inside and outside. Imagine a system where you say 'I want the wall here', a 'corridor there'. Imagine if you could design your own Hobbit-hole maze, perhaps even style it after Bag-End itself.

This would make every house different, ensure that it is unique, and your creation. Obviously there would have to be a series of guidelines, and set building templates etc, to choose from. Also size would have to be capped. Gold or some other barter system could be used to pay a tariff on square-footage.

world houses...

What I'd like is that the existing housing areas stop being isolated enclaves away from civilization. Bree and Duillond housing is the worst offenders here. Ie the Shire housing should feel like a real town, either a part of Michel Delving or at least a town on a major road; and Bree housing should be in the Bree area, perhaps near Staddle or such.

I love these ideas... Not sure how the transfer from the old to new style would work if this were implemented, but I would gladly ditch my house and everything in it to own a house in Lothlorien.

I'm not reading through the entire thread, but I have only one basic suggestion:

Either get rid of hooks, or make them so plentiful that it looks like there are none.

House interiors (even small ones) are huge empty gymnasiums with a lone piece of furniture in the middle of the room, posters on the wall, and the odd doo-dad against the walls. I can run several steps to get from one side to the other. There is no real customization.

I just pretend that my home is actually a museum... because that's what it looks like. It sure isn't a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gedrevn View Post
    The whole point of housing is customization, so actually being able to put things in the house as opposed to having a very limited hook system would be great.

If you want to take an example of a well implemented housing system, look at original Everquest:
    • Free form housing design with prefab houses and/or open construction options
    • Nearly unlimited item placement with full control over location, rotation, and size
    • Ability to convert in-game items into housing objects to create your own trophies
    • LARGE and expandable workspaces
    • Combination of decorations, utility, and fun items that can be used to enhance your housing space
    • X, Y, and Z axis control over decorations both indoor and outdoor

And the argument that something like that is too hard seems pretty ridiculous since EQ and it's engine are far older than LOTRO and it was obviously able to be implemented.

Or if you want really lofty, awesome goals:
    • In-world/Open world housing that abandons the instance model (a la Vanguard or UO)
    • Multiple theme options within different areas (I.E. different styles of housing - Shire 1 Michael Delving; Shire 2 Woodhall; Elf 1 Grey Havens; Elf 2 Mirkwood; etc.)
    • Multiple land plots per character/account
    • Additional tiers of housing (Guild Castles [probably not lore appropriate], or better than just small/large houses)
    I am loving these suggestions (with the exception of open world housing - so much of the UO landscape was like a trailer park)
    Free form house construction and decoration is needed. The current hook system is too limited and way too boring. There would still need to be a limit on numbers of items (to save server load) but freedom of placement would open up a lot of scope for creativity. (I used to love decorating my house in UO. I'd spent many, many hours doing that)
    I'd like to be able to do my crafting at my house so to be able to fit out a crafting room AND have additional storage for crafting mats would be awesome.
    Other have suggested a stable - yeah that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    2. Neighborhood crafting facilities if you can't have crafting facilities in your house. If you can make it house specific, make it accessible via an area transition hatch (to the basement or attic or wherever) within the home. Perhaps limit them to Deluxe and Kinship houses.
    The problem here is that it will depopulate other crafting areas in the game. We want to see players in areas other than max level end game and at home crafting, especially on servers where lower level players are rare. A solution would be to have better travel options from housing to nearby public crafting areas.

If anything, add something to housing that players want to do that is unique to housing, or kinship housing, something you can't find elsewhere. This used to be true for shared storage, but now that this is in the vaults the individual housing chests lost so much value (though kinship chests retained value). Also sort of helped early on when housing was the only place to get discounts on repairs/potions, at least until you earned kindred rep somewhere else.

Here are some other ideas:

- message boards for kinship houses, or kinship calendars.
    - players have to help build kinship houses, and the house grows over time as it expands, with house size limited by rank of kin (ie, allow getting kinship house at rank 1 but it's small by default). Crafting can play a part here (ie, grow lots and lots of veggies to make a farm plot, dig lots and lots of ore to get Thorin's Hall room, get lots and lots of wood to make a Bree room, etc).
    - houses in higher level zones.
    - tie housing area into the festivals in some way. They all have an area that seems to be intended for festive purposes.
    - allow other players to harvest stuff from your veggie plot (once per day), or take some coal from your fireplace, or things like that. Ie, not just a reason to visit your home but to visit your neighbor's homes too.
    - house pets. Ok those dwarf guards don't count, and are kinda creepy, and can you even get them without using the hated store? I'd rather have a dog that wanders the kinship grounds, or a cat sleeping next to the kinship chest. These make much more sense than a personal non-combat pet.
    - stables; either personal hitching post, or kinship stable with 3 or 4 slots, or a neighborhood wide stable. Then let the player put one of their collected mounts at the stables, with a name like "Biff's Pony", cycle through them maybe at the shared stables. At the very least have a normal travel stable inside the housing neighborhoods.
    - weeds... Ya really. Basically if you ignore your house too long it starts to look a bit shabby. Cobwebs upstairs, shrews in the garden, rats in the basement, etc. But let neighbors have permission to clean up.

The problem here is that it will depopulate other crafting areas in the game. We want to see players in areas other than max level end game and at home crafting, especially on servers where lower level players are rare. A solution would be to have better travel options from housing to nearby public crafting areas.

If anything, add something to housing that players want to do that is unique to housing, or kinship housing, something you can't find elsewhere. This used to be true for shared storage, but now that this is in the vaults the individual housing chests lost so much value (though kinship chests retained value). Also sort of helped early on when housing was the only place to get discounts on repairs/potions, at least until you earned kindred rep somewhere else.

Here are some other ideas:

- players have to help build kinship houses, and the house grows over time as it expands, with house size limited by rank of kin (ie, allow getting kinship house at rank 1 but it's small by default). Crafting can play a part here (ie, grow lots and lots of veggies to make a farm plot, dig lots and lots of ore to get Thorin's Hall room, get lots and lots of wood to make a Bree room, etc).

- tie housing area into the festivals in some way. They all have an area that seems to be intended for festive purposes.

- house pets. ... I'd rather have a dog that wanders the kinship grounds, or a cat sleeping next to the kinship chest. These make much more sense than a personal non-combat pet.

- weeds... Ya really. Basically if you ignore your house too long it starts to look a bit shabby. Cobwebs upstairs, shrews in the garden, rats in the basement, etc. But let neighbors have permission to clean up.
    These ideas in particular I like. (The others were fine too, but these are a bit more unique) I especially like the weeds/cobwebs idea. For those who aren't interested I would recommend there being a toggle on/off for this, but the idea itself has merit.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000000bb6/01000/signature.png]Stephen[/charsig]

Frankly, it is incredibly attractive to me to have a crafting facility without the following annoyances:

• immature players leaping about the facility to garner attention (3 Farrows in Bree is notorious for this)

• lore-masters casting spells that knock out my character while I'm crafting or interacting with the Vault Master;

• lore-masters taking up extra space with their pets, and;

• minstrels playing songs I don't want to hear with me as a captive audience.

Personally, I think crafting halls should be no-spell, no-pet, no-music zones. Barring that, give me a facility in my house where I can control who gets in and can craft in peace.

A basement crafting facility in Kinship houses and possibly even as a third private housing option above Deluxe or even as an add-on for Deluxe would definitely get my vote. Being able to craft among friends, especially in my kinship's house, would be incredibly cool.

And FWIW I concur with just about all the suggestions made here. Housing starts out fun and rapidly deteriorates into frustration as the limits of the system are felt almost immediately.

I especially find the travel options for housing areas to be ridiculously bad. The only character I ever visit my kinship or personal house with is my Hunter because it doesn't take for-freaking-ever to go someplace else afterwards.

Crafting facilities in the common or 'shopping' area of the neighborhood had been advanced as something that was supposed to occur. That is enough instead of in each house. This way you can buy the discounted crafting items and craft in one place.
    < Enter lousy signature here>

Here are a few ideas on my wish list that have more than likely been mentioned already, but are still worth noting.
    • More crafted housing items. Weapon displays made by Weaponsmiths, more rug layouts from Tailors and maybe even landscape paintings (framed screenshots).
    • Hire NPCs to play your family. This may sound creepy, but could be an asset for those who wish to RP in more depth. Maybe even some livestock that you have to feed every three hours and a field you have to ...wait, nevermind.
    • More interaction between homeowners in a neighborhood. At the risk of suggesting a Homeowners' Association, allow them to vote on a layout or neighborhood decorations or be able to mail to everyone in the neighborhood.
    • Own a home in a town. An attic room for rent in Bree-town or a hobbit hole in Buckland would be nice. Instanced if it needs to be, I'd rather not be limited to these suburban-style homes we have now.
    • More home layouts and exterior decorations to choose from.
    • Toilets! A home is not a home without a toilet or at least an outhouse or even a free-flowing stream up-river from your noisy neighbors.

house pets. Ok those dwarf guards don't count, and are kinda creepy, and can you even get them without using the hated store? I'd rather have a dog that wanders the kinship grounds, or a cat sleeping next to the kinship chest. These make much more sense than a personal non-combat pet.
    Oh I like this one...pet mouse anyone...squirrel....birds...n eighbourhood fox....

Fauna needed
    Last edited by tsunamimc; Feb 25 2014 at 07:40 AM.
    WINDFOLA: Tsuhelm Hunter lv62 LANDROVAL: Tsudryt Captain lv62 LAURELIN: Opopa Burgler lv22 WITHYWINDLE: Tsukuld Rune-keeper lv85

WP blog: Tsuhelm

Just a little idea:
    Make crafting nodes craft-able, just for display, with, say, 10-20 normal resources, 5 crit resources, and maybe, just for the sake of it, a shard/flake (easy enough to get, but maybe a bit much for highest current tier). I'd love to put scholar nodes in my house, or even some branches or ore deposits in my yard, and why not some berry bushes.
    Baldigar, 105 Burglar on Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamimc View Post
    Oh I like this one...pet mouse anyone...squirrel....birds...n eighbourhood fox....

Fauna needed
    Not as cool as pets that roam, but just so you're aware there IS a bird in a cage (Colourful Songbird) and a mouse that runs out of a hole (Pesky Doormouse). I received these via ithildin coins after purchasing a physical copy of Moria, long after release. The bird sound effect is actually quite irritating (not unlike a real pet bird) and I've never been able to bear it for long. The mouse is pretty cool, though it uses a precious large wall slot.

Making those two things available through non-obsolete means might require very little time and effort. I know people love their rare/exclusive items but after a point it seems foolish to underutilize those things you once spent time developing.

I have the following suggestions for the housing area:

1) A central crafting area in all housing areas, complete with every vendor needed, vault, auctioneer, and if possible even a guild hall. It would be even cooler if kinship houses would be allowed their own crafting hall, but I can see that resources may prevent that from happening. But at the very least everyone should be able to walk to the center of town, and go to the crafting area.

2) More craftable furniture. Woodworkers would be the obvious choice for some furniture, but I am also thinking metalsmith for shield displays, tailors for tapestries, cooks for (more) food laden tables, etc, jewelers can make e.g. a crown on a pedestal or necklace display on a wall, weaponsmith can make a wall mountable sword or axe, scholars can make books on stands, etc.... There should probably also be a few guilded pieces that look really awesome (but obviously cost a guild cooldown to make).

3) Mini games. Make an area where mini games can be played. E.g. you click on a chess board, and 2 players can start a game of chess. If that is a game that is too long, perhaps several other games can be implemented, such as tic-tac-toe, perhaps a small maze with a timer where you can hold races...etc. What I am thinking of really here are activities for kinship parties. If you have games or races, perhaps a kinship party can expand beyond the traditional get drunk and play music and show off your spells and fireworks kind of party, and a kin leader can actually organize contests using some of the mini-games installed. Another thought I just had are mini quests, perhaps different in each housing area. E.g. pick up a chicken egg, and bring it to the other side of the housing areas without dropping it, and without being seen by a chicken who will think you are stealing an egg, try to pick you causing you to drop the egg, etc..... silly games, really, but fun to do in a kinship, and giving us more reason to organize kinship parties.

4) Better storage. The Vault type storage was a huge improvement imho, but it should go beyond that. Next step is to implement permissions on the different tabs so kinships can lock off part of the vault for officer use, and keep others open for everyone that is a kinsman, and even if so desired for everyone.

5) Kin houses should get a wardrobe. Perhaps this could be a rank 8 reward, after you get the kinship house option itself. I am thinking a 20-slot wardrobe, in which can be placed a kinship outfit, one for males, one for females, perhaps with a few different cloak options and color schemes, and allow everyone that is a kinship member to go and apply the kinship outfit at the wardrobe in the kin house. This may also be implementable without a change to the housing though, perhaps through vault npcs where the current personal wardrobe is as well..... but I like to give the kin house a purpose, and a clickable, actual wardrobe looking piece of furniture might be cool. Such a wardrobe could also be made in such a way that a kin leader makes 2 outfit options, and you simply choose between the 2 (e.g. male, female), and it will be applied to your one "kinship outfit" slot (basically the 8th one, you don't have to buy this one though but becomes available once you are a member of a kinship). That way kinships can set an outfit, and kinnies can choose to wear it on events, etc.

6) New instruments. And i mean ones specifically for the house as furniture, such as a Piano. A minstrel can play the piano at a certain level, and can teach others at a certain level. Obviously, a piano is not a movable instrument, but could be one made by a woodworker for placement in a house.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast