We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Old Rune-keeper getting back on game

Hey all, I used to play LOTRO like 2 years ago, when level 65 was the cap.
    Im thinking in playing again in my RK and I would like to ask for opinions.

I know that we have new skills and traits know (we didnt have this new "tree traits" back there) and I would like to know: should i focus on Red or Yellow line as a DPSer?

Back there I used to run Fire when i was going to run some Instancies, because its dps was like 30% higher than Thunder.
    On other hands, it was almost impossible fighting Red on moors, because of the lack of mobility. I mean, u could kill someone eventually, but u would cause way less damage than Thunder, considering u had to run and pew at same time.

So, what u guys suggests me now?
    Pretty much the same as before? Any new thoughts?

By the way, I also have a champ and a burg. If u guys tell me RK sux now and I should focus on the others, I would like to hear.

Thank you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e6ebf/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Abbiati View Post
    Hey all, I used to play LOTRO like 2 years ago, when level 65 was the cap.
    Im thinking in playing again in my RK and I would like to ask for opinions.

I know that we have new skills and traits know (we didnt have this new "tree traits" back there) and I would like to know: should i focus on Red or Yellow line as a DPSer?

Back there I used to run Fire when i was going to run some Instancies, because its dps was like 30% higher than Thunder.
    On other hands, it was almost impossible fighting Red on moors, because of the lack of mobility. I mean, u could kill someone eventually, but u would cause way less damage than Thunder, considering u had to run and pew at same time.

So, what u guys suggests me now?
    Pretty much the same as before? Any new thoughts?

By the way, I also have a champ and a burg. If u guys tell me RK sux now and I should focus on the others, I would like to hear.

Thank you.
    Hi, & welcome back. My main is a RK. RK is going strongh as always: healing big & hitting strong. It is just not a class for everyone, same as before, it requires mental work.

With all those changes since level 65 was cap, RKs still use the same stats for same reasons. The trait lines are now trait trees but have same functions as before. The difference is that traits now have tiers up effectiveness & some traits if used allow the use to other traits (similar to how used to be some legendary traits). The class quests & deeds now grant points instead the trait, all traits are readilly available if you have enough points to use it. Any previously completed deed/quest will be considered completed now & you will receive those points. Also, that many redundant skill or have similar function got fused in 1. Keep playing the same way as before & you will be good. Just don't forget to put the points back on legendaries, skirmish traits & now also on trait tree.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

You have two trait/skill builds for free. Try out both Red and Yellow and see what you like. Unless you buy a 3rd build, you will have to re-trait one of those builds to Heal. Whichever way you go for DPS, self-motivation is the best healing skill for yourself while traited DPS. Having that legacy on the Satchel lowers the cooldown to 15 seconds.
    Member of the Vocal Minority

RK lost many healing skills, fire does alot better dps than lightning, lightning hits like a wet noodle if you don't crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elensarz View Post
    RK lost many healing skills, fire does alot better dps than lightning, lightning hits like a wet noodle if you don't crit.
    RKs didnt lost any skill, the redundant (skills that do exactly the same) 1s got fused together, new healing skill with different aportation got added. & Absolutely all skills got buffed. If you can't find the skills then you aren't traited for heals.

That said, your skills on your quickslot change accordingly to what trait tree you are traited into, so the skills don't clog it.

The only noodle RKs are those that equip only mastery, ignoring critical ratting & have hybrid legendaries instead to specialize their weapons & bags. That is exactly the same as before tree traits revamp.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

The problem with adjusting to how things are with RK now as opposed to how they were before trait trees is that there is definitely a huge difference. When trait trees were added, we lost too many important skills and as a result, we don't have the utility we once had. Soloing has become much harder now that we don't have coherent builds anymore by default. There is no longer any rhyme or reason to what is left of the class (other than the progressively bigger pure healing skills that were always straight forward). If you used to use six or more skills in your regular dps rotation, you will likely be cut back to 4 or less. Of course, you'll likely have to spec healing for soloing because regular dps doesn't have any survivability. Then again, I've always speced healing on my RK because I die too fast any other way.

In summary, we no longer have all of our vital skills and what is left of the class is a very incongruent shell of what it once was. I recommend sticking to whatever character is your main while you get back into the swing of things. That way you will be relearning the game with whatever character you are already the most familiar with. Good luck. I know I'm having trouble relearning the game myself, but that's been the case for awhile now.

By the time I had reached level 63 (which I guess was two years ago at the most) I had lost almost all interest in the game. The level cap actually hasn't been 65 for over three years. It might even be four years by now. Either way, I've been struggling to remain interested in LotRO, myself and have not played a whole lot in the past two years or so, but I think I'm finally regaining my interest. Either way, the RK as it is now is diminished in functionality, but that was apparently by intent so it stands to reason that the devs have some sort of expectation of how we should be able to play RKs in their current state. I'm just struggling with figuring out what that expected way is. Does anyone have a good build for those who don't know how to spec dps with the current system?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000007ecb7/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    With all those changes since level 65 was cap, RKs still use the same stats for same reasons
    Actually, no. Back at level 65, RK's were all about Fate. We're all about Will now; Fate is almost an afterthought.

Another huge difference: Power. You'll never, ever run out if you make Self-Motivation part of your rotation.

Most of our Chill of Winter skills have been removed. I never had a high opinion of Chill of Winter anyway, but I didn't play in the 'Moors. Perhaps they were more useful there. Either way, you'll still be plenty survivable if you spec for lightning.

Fire has a new role: AoE DoT's! Along with it came a few new skills.

Lightning has been completely re-worked. It's not all about getting Thunderous Words and Harsh Debate anymore so that you can pop out an epic Epic Conclusion.

Both of the DPS lines now have a placeable rock, similar to the Sigil of Restoration. They work as you might expect; the Fire rock applies an AoE DoT, and the Lightning rock is kinda like a Vivid Imagery. Doesn't seem very useful to me, but I don't play lightning. I was a fire baby too.

Healing got has had some pretty major changes. Mending Verse is still your go-to heal, but there are a few more small HoT's that add up. Imagine like 5 different Prelude's to Hope; it's a bit like that. Lots and lots of tiny trickles of healing. Of course, we still have some big guns when we need them. Healing is in a pretty good spot, I'd say, but I don't do much healing.
    [CENTER]While you burn at the stake, I dance with the flames. I take what you love and leave you in tears. I am relentless, unpredictable, and waiting for your last breath.
    [/CENTER]