We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Advice on the choice of the class

hello, I had a break from lotro and I decided to go back and start from the beginning.

Before Helms Deep played Hunter and Rune Keeper, both classes I liked.

Today, I got interested in the game as a burglar, but the recommended dosage I can see now mostly all classes except burglar.

Is the burglar is often taken to the fellowship?
    Is the burglar is good for solo play?

I play mostly solo, but the party also happy to be joining.

Currently wonder between burglar and hunter, but the burglar would be something new.

I plan to purchase a VIP but I have to first decide which class to play.

Thank you and I look forward to your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Recu View Post
    hello, I had a break from lotro and I decided to go back and start from the beginning.

Before Helms Deep played Hunter and Rune Keeper, both classes I liked.

Today, I got interested in the game as a burglar, but the recommended dosage I can see now mostly all classes except burglar.

Is the burglar is often taken to the fellowship?
    Is the burglar is good for solo play?

I play mostly solo, but the party also happy to be joining.

Currently wonder between burglar and hunter, but the burglar would be something new.

I plan to purchase a VIP but I have to first decide which class to play.

Thank you and I look forward to your advice.

Burglars are in fact a lot of fun to play, my second favourite class after Minstrels. They are great for soloing. First because you can kill things quickly and second becayse with stealth you can sneak by most other things. They are also nice to have in groups since they can start a Conjunction, a Fellowship Manoeuvre, that can heal, restore power, do a big hitting attack or put a DoT on an enemy.

In some earlier thread on this forum I found a statement. Let me quote

"Don't roll a Burglar if you want to do lots of grouping, since Burglars are neither required or wanted for any end-game content.
    The Burglar is now, for the most part, a solo/PvP class.
    Fellowship Maneuvers are utterly pointless except for the occasional power restore, CC is redundant for the most part since everything seems to be immune now, and our DPS before was not much worse than the premier DPS classes, but now the gap is so ridiculously huge that I just laugh.
    The only reason to have a Burglar at all for grouping now is for their Tricks, although LM's can (still?) debuff better then us I think. Oh, and we might get dragged along for 3-man's since we can heal the group."

Indeed it looks like the situation in burglar? Mainly pvp (I've never played in pvp and I do not know whether something besides fun this is?) And to play solo (which I like).

Burglar has trouble finding a place to party? I know that there is no dps as hunter or as champion, but whether it actually is currently the least useful class?

Honestly I've been seeing more ads for groups simply looking for anyone period, rather than a particular class. I cannot comment on a Burglars own contribution to a fellowship since I don't have extensive experience as one nor have I seen many lately, but I wouldn't worry about groupability. I don't think many groups will seriously turn you away.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

Yet ask, gambler, queit knife or mischief is best for solo play and which to 6-12 instances?

Yet ask, gambler, queit knife or mischief is best for solo play and which to 6-12 instances?

For straight up DPS, go for the Quiet Knife trait-line.

If you're taking down a hard mob or group of mobs, use Gambler. (Bear in mind you can use either one of these for solo-DPS and get good results, QK tends to be the more straight-forward DPS line whereas Gambler has a lot of survival mixed in with it.)

Mischief Maker is good if you're in a group in an instance that needs CC and Debuffing. You can also heal 3-man runs in it with Mischievous Glee, but I stand by my earlier statements. We aren't needed in instances, and other classes automatically get priority over us simply because they are better at DPS, which is all instances boil down to now.

Please Recognize me in the role of individual classes over which I think.

Champion - has more dps , has a better survival rate and is more likely to be taken to the party , but to me this is just a warrior where screwing up without much fear that something will kill you . Instead of sneaking it just rushing ahead and not look back , that still comes out better than playing as a burglar .

Burglar - has an average dps , median survival , and is sometimes taken to the party . Do not handle unless the level of T2 instances solo , right?

Minstrel - apparently now has good dps , and of course good healing . Is his dps is like burglar ? And if I can manage to think of it solo T2 instance ?

Hunter - the best dps for single target , remember that you do not have many healing skills . What is the current of his survival ? Once I had problems with a group of mobs .

Captain - I know that now is tank and healer + buffer, and how his dps ?

Guardian - mostly tank, but I have hear this too good dps ? Is this true?

Warden , RK , LM is not for me so I do not ask with these classes .

The best answer to your question is "all of them". Once you go VIP (and note that you can get two weeks free right now, which is more than enough), create lots and lots of characters of every class you can ever imagine maybe wanting to try out someday. This has the added advantage of spreading you over quite a few servers, so if later on you discover your "primary" server isn't so good, you can just start focusing on other characters you have elsewhere rather than dealing with expensive server transfers. As long as you log in to a character during your VIP time, you'll get the precious unlocks. Swift travel is the key, for me, but the trait spec bonuses are pretty important too, and if you can get to 20 before VIP expires you won't have to pay for the riding skill on that character.

Regarding what classes are good/desired in groups:
    1. Don't worry about it. Depending on what times you play and what servers you're on, there's a decent chance there won't be any groups anyway.
    2. All classes can be fun and useful in a group. Some depend on your own preferences - tanks and healers tend to be more stressful jobs. DPS classes can just do their thing, always fun unless there's an annoying boss mechanic like only range dps being possible. Captains are incredibly fun in groups (at least they were pre-HD, I'm assuming that's still true).

Specific classes:
    Burglars - very fun, and now we're essentially unkillable (Gambler line). Sneak through an enemy camp, or just run in and pull the whole thing and kill everyone, whatever. The only real down side is single target melee dps. We don't kill things as fast as aoe classes like champs, or ranged classes that don't have to waste time moving up close to the target. Burglars can now solo just about every 3-man, though I'm not sure about t2 (that's more of a warden thing, typically). Agreed with TheOrcsBane that we're the least desired class in groups, but then again if a group is advertising "3/6 need dps and tank" they won't say no to a burglar for one of those dps spots.

Champs - the other class I've bothered to bring to 95 (most of my characters are still at 85, or 75 in some cases). Not as cool as we used to be, but still a fun class. The aoes make slayer deeds less painful than most classes. Has the option of tanking, so if you're into that it might give you access to more group spots if groups exist when you're playing. Blue line is also important for soloing 3-mans, obviously, though a few are easy enough you can do them in yellow.

Minstrel - not a happy class right now. DPS seems to be kinda nuts (haven't done anything with my 85, but have been leveling a new one on another server). The problems lie in the group lines - yellow can't get the in combat rez skill anymore, which makes it *seriously* questionable as a group option at all. Blue, from what I understand, has turned healing into a three button snoozefest. Both blue and red have lost almost all of the anthem (buffing) abilities some of us greatly valued. Try it if you like, perhaps without the preconceptions of knowing how glorious the class was from 65-85 it will still be fun for you. Soloing t2 3-man, *very* doubtful. Minis can probably solo at least some 3-mans at t1 now, I'd think. Would have to get mine back to cap to find out directly and that's not going to happen anytime soon, though.

Hunter - survival should be better now. I retired mine at 42 about 2.5 years ago. In principle yellow line should be pretty cool, but it didn't seem to click for me any better than the old hunter had. Though laying traps whenever you like, including that new snake-bite one that somehow heals you a bit, plus the endurance quick shot that gives a heal when you hit a cc'ed target (I think), mean that you probably won't die. I think blue and red have some sort of self-heal now too. At least at 42 I don't remember the old hunter having any self-heal at all, which was a major reason I parked him in a craft hall rather than continuing to level him...

Captain - seems to be in great shape. You get Shadows Lament (formerly a level 60 skill that combined with the old red legendary capstone to give an *enormous* boost in dps) at level 6 now! I've puttered around a bit on my level 76 captain and he's quite a bit more effective now, and a couple of low level captains I've started on other servers are doing much higher dps than I ever remember on my first, years ago. Indeed sometimes mobs die so fast that it's hard to work on my skill deeds!

Guardian - haven't really touched mine since the early days of the 75 endgame, sorry. I gather some of their key skills just got screwed up by 12.1.

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding classes.

I have now 20lvl Burglar , and I think to make a Captain or Champion and up to a high lvl one of them . And some day when I got bored return to the burglar .

As a champion of farm TB will be the fastest and I love that because I will have to buy many not available in VIP zones

You encouraged me also to play as Captain . Even before Helm's Deep I wanted him to play but changed my mind . Now when he got a boost dmg again, I started thinking whether to play it .

In summary, according to me:
    Burglar - it seems to me most fun with a solo of all classes , but weaker than the rest of the class . In group currently average useful.

Champion - seems to be more boring than burglar , but is stronger solo, he may think the approach to T2. In group usually find a place without a problem .

Captain - a little less dps from burglar and solo does not seem too be so interesting. In the group of the most fun .

I think I 'll leave Burglar , I will champion , even to the farm TB . When I get bored I'll be back as champion for the burglar . When burglar will become boring I make Captain .

And now I've a few question :
    1. If I buy VIP now I get ~ 45 days, right ?
    2. If I have a VIP and make 5 characters and Vip out , they block my 2 character or something?
    3. I must make all characters when have vip if I'm planning have unlock all traits slots?

Thanks again, now I have a game plan for a long time!

And now I've a few question :
    1. If I buy VIP now I get ~ 45 days, right ?
    2. If I have a VIP and make 5 characters and Vip out , they block my 2 character or something?
    3. I must make all characters when have vip if I'm planning have unlock all traits slots?
    1. If you wish, you can sign up for VIP now and cancel within the first two weeks for free VIP time. Or you can stay VIP for one month and have one month plus two weeks of VIP time for a one month payment. The latter would make it easier to get lots of characters to level 20 for the VIP free riding skill. And there's nothing wrong with actually giving Turbine money for this game, even if they make it bizarrely easy not to.
    2. I believe that's correct. As I understand it, you get two character slots for free, +1 for premium, +2 during VIP, +2 for Moria. In my case I have five character slots per server normally, and seven at the moment while I'm VIP again. Character slots are also relatively inexpensive to pick up with TP - a friend of mine opened enough slots to have seven characters per server even as pure free to play.
    3. The key point is to log in to each of your characters at least once during your VIP time. This does apply to already created characters as well as new ones you create during VIP. Conversely if you "create" a character but never actually log in to it, and just leave it at level 1 sitting on the character creation screen, that character will not get the unlocks.

So it might be ideal for you to make five characters on each of four servers (for example). Once your VIP ends, you'd have two characters locked on each server, but someday in the future you'll probably want to buy the Moria expansion which would reopen those two locked character slots (if the current version of the Moria expansion still includes that - I got the old physical boxed set, so things may be a bit different now). Having at least four characters per server is helpful since that way you can cover all crafting skills. Picking up shared storage next time it's on sale, if you don't have it already, will greatly facilitate passing materials and crafted items back and forth among your characters.

Remember, there's no such thing as too many characters! My only regret from my first VIP period over three years ago is that I only made nine characters (one of each class) on two servers. I'm now making up for that mistake - currently at 23 characters across eight servers, and most likely I'll make a few more before I'm done. An additional benefit of having lots of characters is that you will very easily generate enough TP to buy all the quest packs, expansions, and whatever instances, shared storage, premium wallet, sixth bag, etc. you might want. The repetition of content can get a bit tiresome, but it's not too bad, especially if you space characters out by five levels or more.

Enjoy the game!