We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Movie Forum

Movie Forum

Shouldn't there be a forum for Peter Jackson's movies? I mean, there is going to be like 6 of them! I don't post here a ton so please take this idea presented with a great deal of humbleness, I'm sure it's been thought of before.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothoen View Post
    Shouldn't there be a forum for Peter Jackson's movies? I mean, there is going to be like 6 of them! I don't post here a ton so please take this idea presented with a great deal of humbleness, I'm sure it's been thought of before.
    No.

This game is based entirely off the books. In Turbine's mind: There is no such think as the LoTR/The Hobbit Movies.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    No.

This game is based entirely off the books. In Turbine's mind: There is no such think as the LoTR/The Hobbit Movies.
    Well they can feel however they want about them, but it doesn't change the fact that they exist, and people might want to talk about them or other movies or shows for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hothoen View Post
    Well they can feel however they want about them, but it doesn't change the fact that they exist, and people might want to talk about them or other movies or shows for that matter.
    There is an Off-Topic forum for that.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

No.

This game is based entirely off the books. In Turbine's mind: There is no such thing as the LoTR/The Hobbit Movies.
    That is not exactly true. Story wise, absolutely. To deny that some of the imagery isn't influenced is willful blindness. Our favorite Gollum is stated to wear (dark) clothing in the books (reinforced by Tolkien himself when he set out a guideline of Gollum for artists). It stated various things Gollum had in his pockets: "...fish-bones, goblins' teeth, wet shells, a bit of bat-wing, a sharp stone to sharpen his fangs on, and other nasty things." when he tried to figure out what could be in Bilbo's pocket. It also stated in that when he went back to the island to get his ring, Gollum, "...scrabbling here and there, searching and seeking in vain, and turning out his pockets." Yet he wears a loincloth in the game, just as in the movies (both P.J.'s and the cartoons).

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    There is an Off-Topic forum for that.
    It's not EXACTLY off-topic. I would put it as a sub-forum of J.R.R. Tolkien
    Last edited by Thylbanus; Dec 14 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
    That is not exactly true. Story wise, absolutely. To deny that some of the imagery isn't influenced is willful blindness.-
    Agreed. Sometimes they've downright 'borrowed' graphics; Gollum can be considered to be one example, but there are more egregious examples... For with Gollum, the case might not be that Turbine's followed Jackson's vision, but rather that Gollum has extremely rarely been depicted wearing actual ragged clothing with pockets, instead of just something like a loincloth. By folks including such renowned artists as Alan Lee.
    A case of memetic mutation in regards to the slave of the Ring, perhaps?

I wouldn't mind having a subforum for the Movies, but I'm not sure we actually need one, either. The movies are, after all, quite freely talked about in J.R.R. Tolkien subforum, in General, in Off-topic.

I don't think there would be a Lord of the Rings Online without the success of those movies.

No.

They did base orthanc on the movie version of it. In the books it was just a black pillar. They said so themselves.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hothoen View Post

That would be like saying a site dedicated to Chevrolet should have a section to talk about Ford because they are based on the same original work from long ago.

The movies and the game are completely different things, only tied together by their source of inspiration and a tiny corporate link (WB recently purchase Turbine which is still it's own entity). You won't see a section to talk about the game on the movie fan sites either.

The Off-Topic forum is the correct place for this subject, as it is off the topic of the game.