We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LI's - Am I missing something?

Hello All,

I am fairly new to LOTRO....about a month or so into my Middle Earth experience. I currently have a level 75 minstrel. I really haven't paid much attention to my LIs as of yet, since the general consensus seems to be to not pay them heed til max level.

However, while crafting or down time at work, I have been trying to wrap my head around the legendary item process. I feel that I have the basics down, as far as leveling, relics, when to decon, etc. But a question I can't seem to find an answer too is bugging me.

Is it really worth it to upgrade from a level 65 legendary item to the current max level one. I understand the difference between third age, second age, first age being mostly the total number of points. But those point totals are the same regardless of level. Most of the legacies that I am interested in, as a red line minie, are percentage based. And from what I can tell, the legacies remain the same from 65 to 95.

I can understand the dps increase for the weapon being a consideration, but as a minstrel I only have 2 melee attacks heralds strike and auto attacks. And currently most enemies never get within melee range of me. I have tried looking on some online item databases to compare...but all the ones I found are just the name of the item with stats blanked. I assume because of the random nature of the ID/reforge process.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Say the difference between a level 65 songbook and a level 95 songbook of the same class (FA, SA. TA)

Thanks for any and all replies.

Sincerely,
    LOTRO Noob

For tactical classes (Minis, RK's & LM's) the dps rating of an LI is for your tactical skills, not your melee skills, so your dps will fall behind the level curve if you don't switch to higher level LI's.

How often you should switch to a new higher level LI is up to you and how comfortable you feel with your dps as the level of the mobs you fight increases.

As a general rule of thumb I tent to switch weapon LI's every 5 or so xp levels. Class LI's (in your case, your songbook) can be viable for longer than a weapon LI.

Here's a hint. As a Mini, if you ever put together a speciality healing weapon, ignore putting points into it's dps rating, your heals are affected by healing legacies on a weapon but your heals are not affected by the dps rating of the weapon.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Inithri View Post
    Hello All,

Is it really worth it to upgrade from a level 65 legendary item to the current max level one. I understand the difference between third age, second age, first age being mostly the total number of points. But those point totals are the same regardless of level. Most of the legacies that I am interested in, as a red line minie, are percentage based. And from what I can tell, the legacies remain the same from 65 to 95.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Say the difference between a level 65 songbook and a level 95 songbook of the same class (FA, SA. TA)

Sincerely,
    LOTRO Noob
    The itemlevel is not only for better stats. You can also equip much better relics and titles on a higher level LI.
    Besides this the only big thing that would become 'better' on a higher level LI is tact heal (song-book) and tact damage (weapon)

But alone the relics are worth the switch imho. (There are currently no new unique relics or titles exept the crafted so the biggest difference regarding this would be 65->85, but they will come sooner or later)

For the legacy-upgrades you are right: a TA with empowerment-scrolls to max them will be the same as a SA/FA with more points if the weapon/book has the Same legacies.

Regards
    /T

Quote Originally Posted by Inithri View Post
    Hello All,

Sincerely,
    LOTRO Noob
    To heal, you'll need a 95 songbook. Especially between 85 and 95 the jump in tac heal rating is incredible. With a 95 book, my newly 95 minnie is throwing out 11k Chords of Salvation, and he's not even a particularly brilliant healer.

If you're a healer, like someone else has said, ignore the DPS rating of the weapon and concentrate on the legacies (e.g. cry of the chorus CD, rally CD, chord of salvation CD etc.). A 65 will be fine for this unless you are a guild crafter in which case you'll want a 95 weapon (even a third ager) to slot your crafted 95 relic.