We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captanks and power management

So how are captanks maintaining power? while I realize that captanks can be down right invincible we do seem to have an Achilles heel when it comes to power management. In fact, the only time I've really seen the power consumption of captanks be bearable was during the short 'Fate revamp' a few updates ago, and then that got nerfed and I'm back to begging LM's for more blue bar.

As an up-and-leveling captank how should I plan around this issue? start stacking Fate/ICPR? are there any good Vit/Fate pieces dropping?

suggestion: steal a page from the wardens and give us a 1% power restore to successful parries!

There are some decent equips with might, vit, and fate to help get ICPR up. Currently (for endgame captain drops) might and vit are a given, the rest is a mix between fate, finesse, crit, phys mastery, and morale.
    For what it's worth, wardens (and many others) are also suffering for power; this seems to happen every expansion as skill power costs scale up faster than our power pools and regen.
    Gremblus, Seuer, Grelob, and various others of Arkenstone

Yes, get some more fate & ICPR.
    Pots. Know how much power they give you and know how low your power should be when you use them.
    Also don't forget about the -melee power cost% and -cry power cost% legacies if you really need them.
    I'll often pull out the herald of victory if I know it's going to be a long fight (-10% power cost)
    Eat food with high ICPR.
    If you can find them get some items with a high amount of max power. I've got just under 6k power and it does make some difference.
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

I've found it extremely helpful to not use Rallying Cry when tanking. Captain has pretty much enough self heals other than RC to use so IMO it's not too big of an issue.

While soloing Library i decided to see what the best way to maintain power was, so i stopped using RC when it popped up. I went from roughly 200 power left the time before, to full power at the end of the second.

Also, spam Inspire. It heals some power.

Hope this helps any cappies struggling with power issues.

"Thinking you can do something is confidence; doing something is competence"
    Bannerman, r11 War-Leader/
    Ryzer, r13 Captain/ Ryzur, Minstrel.
    Skill and Valour/Divide Et Impera, Landroval. .

Quote Originally Posted by b4jet9597 View Post
    I've found it extremely helpful to not use Rallying Cry when tanking. Captain has pretty much enough self heals other than RC to use so IMO it's not too big of an issue.

While soloing Library i decided to see what the best way to maintain power was, so i stopped using RC when it popped up. I went from roughly 200 power left the time before, to full power at the end of the second.

Also, spam Inspire. It heals some power.

Hope this helps any cappies struggling with power issues.
    This is pretty much how I addressed the power consumption as well. I find we're in a good place with power right now. Not only does Inspire give back power, On Guard also reduces power costs.

You just have to adjust your rotation to only use what's strictly necessary for either survival or holding aggro, and that will really cut down the power problems. In general, cries cost more power than melee skills, so avoiding Rallying Cry spam and using Threatening Shout sparingly are really good ways to keep your power expenditure low.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Captanks do have several ways of handling power issues as others have stated:

LI: Melee power cost legacy and Cry power cost legacy (though I consider the Cry one to be rather useless, at best it'll save you like 200 power per minute at max rank). Fate legacy can also be a way of increasing both critical chance and icpr and you won't need to put legacy points into them. You can barter stat legacy scrolls at Ost Galadh and Harndirion.
    Herald: Victory herald gives -10% power cost
    Buffs: On Guard gives -10% power cost
    Consumables: Battle Tonic Westemnet version gives -70% power cost for 10 seconds, power potions heals power, some food gives about 600 icpr for 5-10 minutes
    Inspire: heals power over time (and IMO makes Melee healing legacy worth it on Captank)

Leaving out Rallying Cry helps a lot on power (and shouldn't be neccessary while soloing either way), but I think for groups (and especially when 12.1 is out), Rallying Cry will be a big part of our aggro building, especially versus many targets.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    This is pretty much how I addressed the power consumption as well. I find we're in a good place with power right now. Not only does Inspire give back power, On Guard also reduces power costs.

You just have to adjust your rotation to only use what's strictly necessary for either survival or holding aggro, and that will really cut down the power problems. In general, cries cost more power than melee skills, so avoiding Rallying Cry spam and using Threatening Shout sparingly are really good ways to keep your power expenditure low.
    These replies are spot on. Herald of Victory helps cut down power costs and gives power with Lend Resolve. Adjusting rotation is generally the right way to go. Increased ICPR is always a good idea, but adjusting the rotation will see greater results IMHO.
    Sunnydski - Landroval (Formerly Meneldor)

Get you're fate up, mine sat at 800 currently, and as posted above don't spam RC when its not needed. Swapping banners/Heralds from hope-Victory and back again are a great way of conserving power in long drawn out fights, and pot power when you're at 50%.

Uthyr Cpt Eldar.
    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to