We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088

    Suggestion: Hardmode item for those who want extra challenge

    There's been an ongoing debate about how much easier a lot of the content has gotten, particularly the landscape content. While some of the ease can be attributed to players just getting better at the game, there can be no denying that things have gotten much easier. I have light/med armour characters using gear 10-20 levels beneath their own who can handle multiple above-level mobs and signatures without breaking a sweat.

    I fully acknowledge that the game needs to accommodate casual players, and in fact I embrace that because I want the game to survive. But I DO greatly miss the challenging LotRO of bygone days. I miss running around East Angmar when it was first launched, in abject terror as it was impossible not to aggro multiple tough scary creatures. Now I can easily roll through there and barely even encounter a mob, let alone aggro one. I love challenge, and I'm really finding it lacking lately in the game. I regularly go around poorly geared in orange and red areas, but even that doesn't create enough challenge.

    Anyway, I digress. I propose that a store item be created, similar to the XP disabler, which nerfs a character and toughens foes so that the game challenge level is greatly increased to SOA levels and beyond. I'm talking hardmode here, not just balance. Something the average player wouldn't necessarily enjoy, but which veterans and more experienced gamers or those who crave near-death experiences would really enjoy. I would buy this, and I know others would.

    Pretty please!

    EDIT: I'm not just talking about balance, here. That is something that's been really improving, even since I first made this post, and I welcome it. I am talking about hardmode. I am talking about things being way more challenging than most sane people would enjoy.
    Last edited by frickinmuck; Apr 14 2014 at 07:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    29
    I think this cannot be solved with store item. I propose there would be 2 difficulty settings in the game:


    Newbie: The difficulty were having now. Rewards would be bit nerfed.

    Normal: What lotro used to be 4 years ago. rewards like they are now.


    You could use either setting, and mobs would behave accordingly. If 2 different settings attack a mob, it would use the normal difficulty one.

    Or alternatively make the store item that adjusts mob difficulty. But I dont like the idea of some nerf item. Fighting could be more challenging, but not by making me inferior compared to others.

  3. #3
    +1!

    Cape of hardcore game mode!

    Uh, Cape of the Brazen Challenge! That sounds better.

    +100% incoming damage! + monster aggro range to whatever it used to be! What was it, 20 meters? Dread effects doubled! Dread on defeat is back! Potions disabled, too busy yelling at enemies to drink anything! Doom and etc.!

    +100% marks and medallions? + Exp for those experienced players on alts who are probably using this thing? No positive effects on it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaBone View Post
    +1!

    Cape of hardcore game mode!

    Uh, Cape of the Brazen Challenge! That sounds better.

    +100% incoming damage! + monster aggro range to whatever it used to be! What was it, 20 meters? Dread effects doubled! Dread on defeat is back! Potions disabled, too busy yelling at enemies to drink anything! Doom and etc.!

    +100% marks and medallions? + Exp for those experienced players on alts who are probably using this thing? No positive effects on it?
    Actually I think this could be a really good idea if expanded upon.

    I think they should add an item like this, sold in the store, but I hope fairly cheaply. It could work in the form of an LI, just without any levels. It would probably need a new, custom, interface, but it could just be the LI one with only 1 slot. Anyways, you either buy (this is all just to add incentive for them to do this) scrolls with legacies on them, or scrolls to add more legacy slots to the backpack; or every legacy will be on it by default, but disabled unless enabled. (Instead of legacies it could be relics as well but this wouldn't give an easy way to modify potency. They should be unslottable/disable-able/recoverable.) You get infinite rank upgrade points (/there isn't any points to upgrade).

    The legacies could be some things like:


    Legacy Range of Potency (fill in "_")
    +_% incoming damage (1-500%)
    +_m enemy detection range (disabled in groups) (1-20m)
    Y/N Dread from death (Yes/No)
    +_% Potions Cooldown/Potions disabled (25%-500%, after 500% it is disabled)
    -_% of incoming Coin Currency (0-100%)
    -_% outgoing damage (0-100%)
    -_% outgoing healing (disabled in groups?) (0-100%)
    -_% incoming healing (disabled in groups) (0-100%)
    -_% stat contdibutions from equipment, food, and virtues (0-100%)
    -_% ICMR (0-100%)
    -_% ICPR (0-100%)
    _x equipment damage (0-100x)
    -_% block, parry, evade chance (takes off from your stats) (0-100%)
    etc. (depends)


    You could use a simple reset points button, or a Scroll of Renewal, or new TP scroll, or vendor sold item to reset the legacies so you can modify it. Or it can just have a way to upgrade/downgrade the ranks on the go (which it should have if this costs money, particularly a lot of money).

    Or they could just give all players a trinket and add a trinket slot, and then you can modify the legacies as you please, for free. (Using the system above)
    Last edited by pittcrew1; Dec 12 2013 at 06:53 PM.
    [center]100 Burglar - Baldigar, 100 Minstrel - Desmio, 100 LM - Cartontolos, 100 Warden - Handorost, 100 Beorning - Geirvarinn, 100 RK - Thrandstar, 100 Captain - Aeganros, 100 Guardian - Heornar, 58 Hunter - Saerielle[/center]
    [center][color=cyan][b]Landroval[/b][/color], The [color=orange][i]Blackheart Pirates[/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQrIwW8CUAAn8hK.png:large[/img][/center]
    [center][url=https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527939-What-LotRO-needs-to-focus-on-(that-is-not-specifically-endgame)]My Mega Suggestions Thread[/url][/center]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    472
    An interesting idea, but it would take a lot of work on Turbine's part and, personally, I'd rather they focus on fixing existing issues and progressing the game forward to its end. Somehow they would need to balance the game around two groups of people: those with the 'nerf' and those without, and right now they need to finish balancing the existing content around their class overhaul and such. Not saying it's a terrible idea, and it's kind of an extension of the Skirmish tier system, just not one I see them investing the necessary time in at this point.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,160
    A decent chunk of my kin (including myself) went "Naked to 95" on our first toon up from 85. It's actually pretty good and feels more balanced to the SoA days... yet still often times easier. Only a few points got a little challenging past lvl 90. It was nice though to actually read through all the new skills and learn how they work together to survive tougher fights.

    Then we put equipment back on after hitting 95, aka God mode.
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzdid View Post
    An interesting idea, but it would take a lot of work on Turbine's part and, personally, I'd rather they focus on fixing existing issues and progressing the game forward to its end. Somehow they would need to balance the game around two groups of people: those with the 'nerf' and those without, and right now they need to finish balancing the existing content around their class overhaul and such. Not saying it's a terrible idea, and it's kind of an extension of the Skirmish tier system, just not one I see them investing the necessary time in at this point.
    It wouldnt be hard at all for turbine to release a store item that nerfs mits/mastery etc by 50% and at the same time increasing mobs damage, just a % change once the item is equipped.

    However its just a quick fix, turbine broke the game with the class changes so they should address the fundemental issues and not sell something in the store (to make more $$) to bored people who want a challenge.

    I've recently tried wildstar, which apart from the carto0ny visuals is everything i want, its challenging (without being way too hard), encourages grouping (which turbine DONT!) and i can die if i pull the wrong mobs....no more #godmode

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcrew1 View Post
    Actually I think this could be a really good idea if expanded upon.

    I think they should add an item like this, sold in the store, but I hope fairly cheaply. It could work in the form of an LI, just without any levels. It would probably need a new, custom, interface, but it could just be the LI one with only 1 slot. Anyways, you either buy (this is all just to add incentive for them to do this) scrolls with legacies on them, or scrolls to add more legacy slots to the backpack; or every legacy will be on it by default, but disabled unless enabled. (Instead of legacies it could be relics as well but this wouldn't give an easy way to modify potency. They should be unslottable/disable-able/recoverable.) You get infinite rank upgrade points (/there isn't any points to upgrade).

    The legacies could be some things like:


    Legacy Range of Potency (fill in "_")
    +_% incoming damage (1-500%)
    +_m enemy detection range (disabled in groups) (1-20m)
    Y/N Dread from death (Yes/No)
    +_% Potions Cooldown/Potions disabled (25%-500%, after 500% it is disabled)
    -_% of incoming Coin Currency (0-100%)
    -_% outgoing damage (0-100%)
    -_% outgoing healing (disabled in groups?) (0-100%)
    -_% incoming healing (disabled in groups) (0-100%)
    -_% stat contdibutions from equipment, food, and virtues (0-100%)
    -_% ICMR (0-100%)
    -_% ICPR (0-100%)
    _x equipment damage (0-100x)
    -_% block, parry, evade chance (takes off from your stats) (0-100%)
    etc. (depends)


    You could use a simple reset points button, or a Scroll of Renewal, or new TP scroll, or vendor sold item to reset the legacies so you can modify it. Or it can just have a way to upgrade/downgrade the ranks on the go (which it should have if this costs money, particularly a lot of money).

    Or they could just give all players a trinket and add a trinket slot, and then you can modify the legacies as you please, for free. (Using the system above)
    This is actually a pretty cool idea, if it could be implemented. Then each player would have the ability to hone how much and what type of challenge s/he has. It would also be cool if the weapons glowed a certain colour that made it clear to others that person is playing hardmode. But I do agree this might be complicated to keep up to date, and what if someone wanted to start a new character in hardmode? We don't get LIs until level 45/50.

  9. #9
    Although I am traditionally a guy who likes challenging MMOs, for some reason the content nerfing in LOTRO has yet to bother me at all (even though it is exactly why I quit both WoW and RIFT).

    I think it's because being OP vs. landscape mobs is perfectly consistent with LOTR lore. Although not canon, just look at the movies. Look at how many orcs are mowed down in succession by Legolas, Boromir, Gimli, Aragorn, etc. Even the hobbits who have never fought are killing orcs at a decent pace at the end of the trilogy.

    This is what we are playing in LOTRO, and it's not really lore-breaking at all. We are SUPPOSED to be wading into huge mobs of orcs and goblins and leaving piles of bodies behind us. This game is not about challenge, but about the journey to Mordor. So I'm ok with it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    This is actually a pretty cool idea, if it could be implemented. Then each player would have the ability to hone how much and what type of challenge s/he has. It would also be cool if the weapons glowed a certain colour that made it clear to others that person is playing hardmode. But I do agree this might be complicated to keep up to date, and what if someone wanted to start a new character in hardmode? We don't get LIs until level 45/50.
    This isn't really intended to be an LI, at least not in the form that we are used to. It's simply a system-name I put to this idea because it very closely relates to how I imagine it could be executed. Other games have gems in sockets and so forth that could be representative, but I just used LI because it relates to this game. It would just be a modifiable pocket item or something, with a system close to what an LI has.
    [center]100 Burglar - Baldigar, 100 Minstrel - Desmio, 100 LM - Cartontolos, 100 Warden - Handorost, 100 Beorning - Geirvarinn, 100 RK - Thrandstar, 100 Captain - Aeganros, 100 Guardian - Heornar, 58 Hunter - Saerielle[/center]
    [center][color=cyan][b]Landroval[/b][/color], The [color=orange][i]Blackheart Pirates[/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQrIwW8CUAAn8hK.png:large[/img][/center]
    [center][url=https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527939-What-LotRO-needs-to-focus-on-(that-is-not-specifically-endgame)]My Mega Suggestions Thread[/url][/center]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_EU View Post
    Or alternatively make the store item that adjusts mob difficulty. But I dont like the idea of some nerf item. Fighting could be more challenging, but not by making me inferior compared to others.
    I would actually prefer this too, but frankly I don't care how it's achieved, I just want more challenge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enzdid View Post
    Somehow they would need to balance the game around two groups of people: those with the 'nerf' and those without, and right now they need to finish balancing the existing content around their class overhaul and such. Not saying it's a terrible idea, and it's kind of an extension of the Skirmish tier system, just not one I see them investing the necessary time in at this point.
    I think you may be overcomplicating what this idea means. It can be as simple as complex as Turbine decides to make it, but at its bare minimum I doubt it would be a big deal. It certainly wouldn't mean they have to balance for two groups. Those using this item would be fully aware that things are going to be difficult. That's the whole point.

    The payoff, besides revenue, would be satisfying and accommodate some of the biggest complainers in the game.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload