We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Give Everyone A Free Character Transfer Token

Please, give everyone a free transfer token as a gift. I joined LOTRO about one and a half years ago choosing the then recommended server Dwarrowdelf.

This could be a very very long post, but I will try to keep it to the point. Let me start by saying that I am extremely sad and disheartened by how things are in LOTRO. Turbine is a great company with much potential and I am sure you are doing the best you can to make the most of your recources, but this doesn't change the fact that my server (Dwarrowdelf) is dead for group content and has been so for a long time now. A lot of raiders and instance-people have left and found a better home. Glff has on average 22 people online during the day, and it is as you said, only a very small fraction of those people is willing to group for instances. It is a pain, and often impossible, to find people to make marks and medalions.

I don't have a precise number but I estimate that I have spent nearly $1000 on this game over the last 1.5 years. I've been vip multiple times, I've purchased tens of thousands of Turbine Points, I have bought every single expansion and/or quest pack to the last one of them. I am vip even now. But I'm sorry I'm not rich and I won't pay $25 for a chance to continue playing this MMO the way an MMO should be played. I feel this is wrong. I ask that you give me and everyone else a free transfer token as a gift. I would use that to transfer my main to a server that's still alive and continue playing that toon.

Yes, I am one of those people who like to play in groups. As I said I'm very very sad and disheartened right now because I've lost my friends first and finaly I lost the chance to find new ones. I could cry, really. Anyway, there it is. Please, give me a token to transfer, because I will not pay for it after what I have already paid and am paying even now. I still have some dignity left. Yes, the update will give us dailies, but it won't solve my problem.

I would sure love getting a free transfer token. I've been thinking about transferring, now that my kinship has fallen apart. When I first joined I knew nothing about servers, so I just let it suggest one, and if I had it to do over I'd definitely have chosen an RP server now that I know they exist. But between how much it costs (for my three and my wife's two characters), and the crazy impossibility of also carrying over everything in my shared storage and house vault and house decoration slots, and how much I'd have to lose because you can't do that, I am hesitant. If I got one free chance to move, it would sure make up for the whole thing where it suggests a server and I don't know that it's making a very poor suggestion for me.

While we're at it, can I be taller, too? And driving a Lambourghini Countach, and dating Scarlett Johannson?

Because why would they ever do this? There's a service they offer, they get paid for the service, and if they start giving it away free all they do is lose the money for the service. I mean, it's not like this is a "samples make sales" situation, where if they give you one free, you'll end up buying more. At best, people like me who got the move might buy more TP after the move because we'd get active again, but probably not enough to make up the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeprandua View Post
    my server (Dwarrowdelf) is dead for group content and has been so for a long time now. A lot of raiders and instance-people have left and found a better home. Glff has on average 22 people online during the day, and it is as you said, only a very small fraction of those people is willing to group for instances. It is a pain, and often impossible, to find people to make marks and medalions.

FYI, Dwarrowdelf is still an average populated server (population rank = 15/29).
    Imagine if you transfer your characters to one of the least populated servers...

The transfer token was for me the straw that broke the camels back so to say. Transfers used to be with TP or cash, when they took the TP option away, yet another devaluation of a VIP subscription I began seriously looking for another game. Now there are lots of other things I dislike about lotro, and love but this for me was just one more stick in the eye as a VIP. I play once in a while now and have mostly moved on, probably in the fall will pick it up again a little more. The transfer tokens should be eliminated completely and transfers should be exactly as they were via TP or cash.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I think I was lucky not to start on a recommended server. I started on Gladden, I realized how tiny it was a month later and I started looking for bigger servers. If it was the recommended server at the time, I definitely would have stayed around for way too long. And unfortunately, Turbine always recommends some small server with very low permanent population. And once that server stops being recommended, most of those new people run away and half a year later the server is tiny again.

I think if you still enjoy the game, you should come to us to Brandywine. Just start a new character. We have multiple friendly kinships for low levels. Most of us here are immigrants from other servers too. There's no point to torture yourself on a dead server and wait for free transfer which may happen one day in the distant future - or it might not. It would take you some time to level up, but leveling is not so bad, it can be quite fun on a server that's alive. Chat, low level instances, skirmishes. Just yesterday my lower level kinmates ran all Moria/Lothlorien instances together. You can't catch a train that's left the station, and good times on your server might be gone, but there's no point to be upset for too long. Just restart here. Enjoy the journey again, level together with new people and make new friends.

Unfortunately, I think Turbine is doing its costumers a terrible disservice by recommending the worst servers. They should pick 10 or so main servers and recommend those. Let all other servers die their natural death. I visited my first server (Gladden) yesterday. It's recommended now, its low level population went up at least 10 times. There were 94 lvl 1-10 people when I checked yesterday. Over a hundred lvl 31-40. There are multiple kinships with lots of low level people online. Those are incredible numbers for Gladden. But I know that a year from now Gladden will be dead again. It won't be recommended anymore, and almost all these new low level players will be either gone from the game altogether or gone to Brandywine or some other bigger server. And a few of those new players will be stuck on Gladden with max level characters and disappointed with Turbine. And what's the point? It would make much more sense to me if they recommended decent servers.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Please, give everyone a free transfer token as a gift. I joined LOTRO about one and a half years ago choosing the then recommended server Dwarrowdelf.

This could be a very very long post, but I will try to keep it to the point. Let me start by saying that I am extremely sad and disheartened by how things are in LOTRO. Turbine is a great company with much potential and I am sure you are doing the best you can to make the most of your recources, but this doesn't change the fact that my server (Dwarrowdelf) is dead for group content and has been so for a long time now. A lot of raiders and instance-people have left and found a better home. Glff has on average 22 people online during the day, and it is as you said, only a very small fraction of those people is willing to group for instances. It is a pain, and often impossible, to find people to make marks and medalions.
    Glff has on average 90-100 people at prime time.
    Instances are still almost always run.

Not sure what glff you're looking at Coep...
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

I think there should be a free movement policy. Now the system is automated why not let players freely move around wherever they want to.
    I can understand when it was labor intensive to implement and even at the start to recoup development fees for the tech but now it would make more sense to open it up for VIP's at least to have free movement around servers.
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post

He seems to be from Hungary (according to location next to his join date). Hungarian midnight is at 5pm EST. So when he says "during the day", I would assume he means before prime time.

It's an unfortunate situation, a person from Europe gets directed to a small American server where he puts down roots because that server looks fantastic while it has the recommended status. Then it returns to normal, i.e. a small American server with even less population at Euro prime time. It shouldn't happen, but it happens.

I don't have a precise number but I estimate that I have spent nearly $1000 on this game over the last 1.5 years. I've been vip multiple times, I've purchased tens of thousands of Turbine Points, I have bought every single expansion and/or quest pack to the last one of them. I am vip even now. But I'm sorry I'm not rich and I won't pay $25 for a chance to continue playing this MMO the way an MMO should be played. I feel this is wrong. I ask that you give me and everyone else a free transfer token as a gift. I would use that to transfer my main to a server that's still alive and continue playing that toon.

Yes, I am one of those people who like to play in groups. As I said I'm very very sad and disheartened right now because I've lost my friends first and finaly I lost the chance to find new ones. I could cry, really. Anyway, there it is. Please, give me a token to transfer, because I will not pay for it after what I have already paid and am paying even now. I still have some dignity left. Yes, the update will give us dailies, but it won't solve my problem.

I wonder if there is a technical or financial hurdle involved in this. I'm just guessing, I know absolutely nothing about programming or transferring data.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I wonder if there is a technical or financial hurdle involved in this. I'm just guessing, I know absolutely nothing about programming or transferring data.
    There is one major technical hurdle: EU servers and NA servers are forever (economically) separated by database incompatibilities. Transfer tokens could only be used EU to EU or NA to NA. To add to that, I have no need, want, or desire to transfer from either Nimrodel or Dwarrowdelf. If I should ever succumb to the Big City itch, I can and will simply roll alts there. That said, I hate Big Cities. Dwarrowdelf is a mid-sized city. When I'm there and I'm often there on non-prime times (US) and I've never seen Dwarrow not hopping with ads for instances. I'd guess these instances are not the ones the OP wants at the time desired.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Geldeger View Post
    He seems to be from Hungary (according to location next to his join date). Hungarian midnight is at 5pm EST. So when he says "during the day", I would assume he means before prime time.

It's an unfortunate situation, a person from Europe gets directed to a small American server where he puts down roots because that server looks fantastic while it has the recommended status. Then it returns to normal, i.e. a small American server with even less population at Euro prime time. It shouldn't happen, but it happens.
    Exactly the case. It is a shame that Robbie gave that response, it really diminished his value as a credible person in my perception. Whilest there might be some hours during the day (most likely in my night) when glff has 100 people, the statement that instances are almost always run is a lie. Instances are almost never run is closer to the truth.

I guess my bottom line is the recommended server didn't work out and in the long run the situation just got worse. I am unable to play at the moment and I will not pay $25 for a chance to continue. I somewhat started over on Snowbourn, but make no mistake, I will not spend money on starting over. You can consider me a f2p now, one step away from something that is called an ESO player.

Quote Originally Posted by TearMaker View Post
    I think there should be a free movement policy. Now the system is automated why not let players freely move around wherever they want to.
    I can understand when it was labor intensive to implement and even at the start to recoup development fees for the tech but now it would make more sense to open it up for VIP's at least to have free movement around servers.
    There are two big issues here:

1) The reason Turbine spent two years and gobs of dollars developing the automated transfer system was to get rid of the very high overhead cost Turbine had to pay every day for the manual system.

2) Turbine needed more dollars to pay for providing the Lotro service. Turbine gives away the transfers. Turbine will have cut the dollars that is spent on the game. Some developers will lose their jobs resulting less new content per year.

This is always one of problems every person and company faces. There are limited number of dollars available. You can't spend more dollars than you earn. You have to made hard decisions. How much to give to customers for free? How much to give as an individual to charities? What you spend the dollars? What you will do without? What will stop doing because you can't afford it any more?

Turbine decided to change directions this year. Instead of having a paid expansion that everybody has to buy, Turbine went with it will be a two part VIP rental expansion. It will be sold to Premium and Free customers. Time will tell whether Turbine gets more dollars after expenses this way versus the traditional annual expansion.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Geldeger View Post
    I'm sorry this happened to you. I think I was lucky not to start on a recommended server. I started on Gladden, I realized how tiny it was a month later and I started looking for bigger servers. If it was the recommended server at the time, I definitely would have stayed around for way too long. And unfortunately, Turbine always recommends some small server with very low permanent population. And once that server stops being recommended, most of those new people run away and half a year later the server is tiny again.

I think if you still enjoy the game, you should come to us to Brandywine. Just start a new character.
    I just quoted part of the post, because I didn't start on a recommended server either - I started on Gladden 5-1/2 years ago to play with friends. I've never been sorry. I love the size of Gladden as a medium/smaller sized server but when I wanted a larger server I did what you also suggest and started a couple characters on Elendilmir. I had fun there too and think if anybody wants to play on a specific server it's always a good option to start a new character there. But as an interesting aside, we had a number of people from Gladden pay to transfer to Brandy who have now paid to transfer back. The grass is not always greener on the other server.

Imagine if Turbine gave everybody one free transfer token and they ended up someplace they didn't like as well as where they left. Now they're forced to pay to return and they're unhappy about that as well. Leveling in this game isn't that difficult - I still believe it's easiest to just reroll on a new server.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Not to diverge too much from the original topic, but, for those who have done transfers, how do you deal with all the stuff you can't carry over from house, housing chest, and shared storage? Is there any trick to try to shuttle those things over, or do you really just have to take only as much as personal vault and inventory can carry, and vendor-trash the rest? I keep thinking there must be some trick to save that stuff but I can't figure it out, and the idea of how much I'd lose is one of the things holding me back.

Not necessarily a transfer, but just something else to throw in....

I was at Weatherstock last weekend for the first time, and being curious about the number and make-up of people there I opened the social panel to have a look.
    On sorting by kinship I noticed at the bottom of the list there were several characters that belonged to a kinship called "VISITOR FROM ANOTHER SERVER - (ServerName)".

I don't believe that this was a kin as there were to many different (servernames) listed.

How is this possible?

Is this just a special thing for Weatherstock organizers or something, or something that could be opened to everyone?

Personally I love my "main" server Crick, but would love to vacation on a different server for a week if it was ever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapold View Post
    Not necessarily a transfer, but just something else to throw in....

I was at Weatherstock last weekend for the first time, and being curious about the number and make-up of people there I opened the social panel to have a look.
    On sorting by kinship I noticed at the bottom of the list there were several characters that belonged to a kinship called "VISITOR FROM ANOTHER SERVER - (ServerName)".

I don't believe that this was a kin as there were to many different (servernames) listed.

How is this possible?

Is this just a special thing for Weatherstock organizers or something, or something that could be opened to everyone?

Personally I love my "main" server Crick, but would love to vacation on a different server for a week if it was ever possible.
    It's a player run kinship over on Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    Not to diverge too much from the original topic, but, for those who have done transfers, how do you deal with all the stuff you can't carry over from house, housing chest, and shared storage? Is there any trick to try to shuttle those things over, or do you really just have to take only as much as personal vault and inventory can carry, and vendor-trash the rest? I keep thinking there must be some trick to save that stuff but I can't figure it out, and the idea of how much I'd lose is one of the things holding me back.
    Just fill your bags and personal vault. It wasn't a big deal for me, even carrying over my full Eriador and Moria map sets so my Brandywine server-scouting alts could get that easy TP. No real need for vendor-trashing, at least in my case. I still have two characters in permanent retirement on Arkenstone and 3-4 such on Vilya.

I guess if you're only transferring a single character, it could be hard to carry all the stuff one might want. Prioritize as best you can, you should be able to bring the most important stuff with you. My burglar was my first transfer about three months before the rest and he was fine with just what he could carry.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post

LOL! I guess that's pretty good for one of the small servers, but Brandywine has 2-2.5 times that and there's been nothing happening for months now - WoS farming died out about a week before 13.1, even. "Instances are still almost always run" - if only that were true! Remember, time zones other than Eastern do actually exist (OP in Hungary, me in California, etc.). We don't have the same grouping opportunities the rest of you do - these days we don't have *any* grouping opportunities, for the most part.

Coeprandua, I'd say your best (probably only) hope would be to start new characters on one of the EU servers as you've begun to do. Since you're on Dwarrowdelf, the most a transfer would do for you would be coming to Brandywine, and I doubt it's any more active for Europeans than for US west coast players. If Snowbourne looks questionable to you and you can understand German, I got the impression that several of the German servers are quite big based on how well they did in the Bounder's Bounty event.

The other option is to move on to other games, single-player or MMOs. Come back for a week after U14, U15, however long the game lasts and keep one character abreast of the story. Not much else we can do at this point. Lack of groups means no need to grind gear anymore, so I guess that's a small silver lining...

Regarding the original proposal, don't see it happening. One might imagine maybe adding a free transfer as a perk for being VIP for a certain amount of time (1 per 3 months continuous subscription? who knows?), just to add some value back to VIP. But judging from the number of fellow refugees I've seen on Brandywine, the transfer market is still doing well for Turbine even after turning off the TP payment option, so it's hard to see them changing course.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    I transferred to Landroval about 4 months ago. Only personal storage, bag storage, and white line items in the barter wallet go. Shared storage, housing chests, and green items in the barter wallet stay behind.

Reserve transferable space for unique and hard to acquire items. Use the Auction House to liquidate replaceable items and resources, then use the proceeds to buy back those items on the target server. Monitor the Auction House on both servers to figure out what to keep and what to sell and buy back later. You may find you can make a tidy profit. Marks, Medallions, Seals, and Shards stay behind so convert them into transferable items. If you transfer the character holding a personal house you will lose it so plan accordingly. Transferring multiple characters definitely eases transfer issues, but make sure each one ends up with the correct bound housing items before making the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    Just fill your bags and personal vault. It wasn't a big deal for me, even carrying over my full Eriador and Moria map sets so my Brandywine server-scouting alts could get that easy TP. No real need for vendor-trashing, at least in my case. I still have two characters in permanent retirement on Arkenstone and 3-4 such on Vilya.
    I was able to do it that way, though I did have to vendor-trash a fair amount of stuff, but nothing irreplaceable.

I did figure out that another approach would be to make a "mule" character. Transfer one character fully loaded, then create a new character on the old server in the freed-up slot, play him until he can get to the vault, then have him load up with gear in his inventory and vault. Transfer him, then have him unload his stuff into the shared storage and then delete him. Then transfer the other characters. Using just gold-bought vault and the account-wide six bags that'll get an extra 210 items. But it turned out I didn't need it; the stuff my mule would have carried would have all been easily bought with gold, so definitely not worth another $25. I had fewer irreplaceable things than I thought, once I did some careful cuts of things I didn't really need after all.

So now we're all over on Landroval! Now, to find a good kinship there.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post

LOL! I guess that's pretty good for one of the small servers, but Brandywine has 2-2.5 times that and there's been nothing happening for months now - WoS farming died out about a week before 13.1, even. "Instances are still almost always run" - if only that were true! Remember, time zones other than Eastern do actually exist (OP in Hungary, me in California, etc.). We don't have the same grouping opportunities the rest of you do - these days we don't have *any* grouping opportunities, for the most part.
    Prime time for Dwarrowdelf is EST, it's a mostly American Server. Brandywine is not Dwarrowdelf. Obviously, you aren't aware that about 85% of the Dwarrowdelf population is filled with raiders/PvMPers. So, before you say that I'm not serious about "Instances always being run," you might should consider visiting our server, because not every server has the same % of population per each area of the game,

I'm on DD also and have seen up to 70/80 players in glff,but for (I usally exit glff,so can't really get an accurate count as not everyone online stays in glff.)
    me transferring to another server is not an option.not that I'm
    hooked on this one server but because unless they let me take
    all 7 characters and their packed to the max banks with all the
    crafting mats I did the grind to have,as well as the guild items
    I've been building up and am still working on for the guild recipe's
    then I would loose all motivation to play if I had to grind all over
    to build my supplies up again.This is the same problem with a
    sever merger,unless they can send all my stuff I might not wanna
    keep playing if the only thing I'm going to be doing is re-grinding.

IIRC, City of Heroes gave subscribers one free transfer a month (it was automated), and you could accumulate them.

That seems plausible here, especially since VIP is really not much of a value as it is now.

Free transfer may cause chaos

A free transfer would be nice but as people have already pointed out it would deprive Turbine of much needed funds to make the game better for all of us. Also I suspect that many people will transfer to the popular Brandywine server. This may not only cause a housing shortage but cause chaos in festivals and make gathering crafting goods that much harder. Lag may again become an issue. A packed server is always fun but sometimes I like a quiet server to do my deed and get Turbine points. Turbine could have saved itself a lot of grief by simply putting a North American or European label on the servers so people who did not realize which were which could have made an informed choice in the first place. I made my first toon on an European recommended server and didnt realize until a little later that it was European. It used to bother me that it was so empty but now I am used to it and I sometimes chat with our European players.

Unhappy good idea but $$

I understand the frustrations of a server being dead and wanting/needing to transfer but resisting/holding out for a free transfer. I originally started on Crick, I assume it was the recommended server as it was top of the list?, after running around/questing with my other half not seeing many players we did some research and found out it was not for our time frame. Long story short we made toons on Elendilmir as it was the Oceanic and largely Raid oriented server. The last expansion really knocked glff for 6 there and at any given time may have 50-100 players. This started to make running instances/raids/anything quite difficult and we rolled 2 toons on Brandy,2 on Landy, and after seeing the difference eventually transferred only our main toons to Brandy,we've rerolled crafters etc since. It isn't a perfect server, but at least we do see runs/raids/some form of group activity there. More and more we see 'refugees' from E as it seems we're called, so obviously it is making Turbine $ to continue develop the game,not saying it's right, just what it's doing.

My best advice like most others here would be roll some alts after a little research into which server would best suit your time frame,level them up a bit, stalk the glff/find other players from your time frame and then plant some new roots. As for transferring, I might suggest holding out until U14 with the /world channel which might give you a better idea of if you truly are alone on your server at your time frame. If you find that is the case then consider a transfer imo ;/, nothing worse then logging into the server to just mindlessly stare at the screen and saying to yourself 'this is pointless,I need people to play with". As far as losing all the progress/gear/virtues/items nothing I can say will fix that, but a new group of friends might be able to .

I hope this helps you some in your decision.