We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plus, no I am not saying the rights of one trumps the rights of the many... But I am saying, you have the right to perform there... but people have the right to blow their horns, set off fireworks, play music next to you, slap you with the /slap emote and do what ever they want to, as you are standing in a public forum. Now if you think you get more rights because you think typing /play "insert text file not created by you in the first place here" makes you community wide geniuses then you are severely misguided and frankly just as childish as the people who troll your concerts, at least they don't spit their dummies out when something doesn't go their way. Plus, I don't see any posts saying that you guys shouldn't play music by these said people, or hear of any tickets getting sent in about it? Frankly, with the state of the game, I feel you even reporting them is wasting GM's time and probably exactly why they have gone ignored.

Either way, if they bother you so, just host it at your house, it's that simple, at least then you can moderate who enters... If you really want it in Bree, be prepared for them to show up... or at least only advertise it in game instead of on the forums.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000022ac6d/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rest In Peace Mark (Sodbuster) - Leader of the SleeplessKnights.

To be honest I want them to see this post I went as far as to mail the link from this post to one or two of the offenders

The people who are attempting to disrupt the concerts I doubt are craving attention. They just simply want to disrupt the concerts because they think in game music is stupid. Which they have said openly. The ability to play music in game is something that sets this game apart from others and in an integral part of the enjoyment of the game for many. This thread was not started to bring attention to those attempting to disrupt, but to hopefully bring this issue to Turbine's attention.

If your members actually sent the tickets they said they have, I am sure, they have noticed you... The forum thread will just give them gratification knowing you are fed up about it happening. I really think your best option here if they really bother you is to host it privately and invite the server to come to your kin house... you can then expel trouble makers... Why won't you accept this is a logical solution?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000022ac6d/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by AkarisEllucid View Post
    If your members actually sent the tickets they said they have, I am sure, they have noticed you... The forum thread will just give them gratification knowing you are fed up about it happening. I really think your best option here if they really bother you is to host it privately and invite the server to come to your kin house... you can then expel trouble makers... Why won't you accept this is a logical solution?
    Because it is a purely public event, "supported" by Turbine (listed in their calendar). You will always have people making your event unbearable, I deal with it every time I host one. But, repeated offenses to a well publicized event with a large group of people needs to be dealt with. During fashion week last year a person got a one week ban for trying to crash my event. Around 20 people captured it, and sent it in. The best thing to do is catch them using profanity; it results in quicker action.

A public event is meant for everyone to enjoy if they want to. Should venues be moved? No, unless it is in another easily accessible spot (everyone has a Bree port). And Bree-town is more scenic then many other stages, and therefor it serves as the best spot.

I personally prefer using the Prancing Pony to host large public events due to the lack of lag in the building. So since I host it in a public space, I go by the rules of a park in real life. If you can get ticketed/arrested for it there, you'll get reported in-game for your actions.

And if you PM me, or a counterpart, harassing/trolling in response for advertising an event, you get reported and ignored. You should be held responsible in-game like you are in real life. Nothing changes just because you're sitting behind a keyboard.

Thumbs up

... Besides, you guys already mentioned a perfectly good opportunity to not have your concert "greifed". Host it in your own personal kin house, add your guests to the list ...
    This is certainly a viable solution & that don't requires turbines personal intervention. You can completely control the access to kinship house, naming the groups or characters you want to allow inside. Also, last time i checked all kinship house have a huge personal stage on the main room.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post
    Because it is a purely public event, "supported" by Turbine (listed in their calendar). You will always have people making your event unbearable, I deal with it every time I host one. But, repeated offenses to a well publicized event with a large group of people needs to be dealt with. During fashion week last year a person got a one week ban for trying to crash my event. Around 20 people captured it, and sent it in. The best thing to do is catch them using profanity; it results in quicker action.

A public event is meant for everyone to enjoy if they want to. Should venues be moved? No, unless it is in another easily accessible spot (everyone has a Bree port). And Bree-town is more scenic then many other stages, and therefor it serves as the best spot.

I personally prefer using the Prancing Pony to host large public events due to the lack of lag in the building. So since I host it in a public space, I go by the rules of a park in real life. If you can get ticketed/arrested for it there, you'll get reported in-game for your actions.

And if you PM me, or a counterpart, harassing/trolling in response for advertising an event, you get reported and ignored. You should be held responsible in-game like you are in real life. Nothing changes just because you're sitting behind a keyboard.
    I agree in some aspects but like I said before, the music can go uninterrupted by changing settings and such... If they truly want to not have fireworks lit, they should just go to their kin house. Lighting fire works, blowing your war horse horn ect ect will never be against the rules... so Turbine is not obliged to do anything. If these actions really bother the kins in question they should, like the other user agrees, actually make a use for the housing system. I personally would love to see the housing system used to it's full potential and I challenge these kinships to do so

This thread isn't about whether or not should war-horning be disallowed or allowed in the policy, the idea of this thread is to catch those trolls and do something about it instead of going bias over their VIP subscription.

The main deal in this thread is that people use their war-horns and whatever else to constantly on-purpose interrupt a public, server-wide event that is hosted on a public field for every possible server player to hear if they want to. Interrupting someone's show is not nice, in fact, I'd place it as a policy rule because obviously no one wants that in real life neither. If they want to war-horn their lungs out then they can just do so after the band has finished playing that song as a form of respect like you would do with /clap. Regardless no one wants to hear a spam of war-horns and fireworks when they could instead listen to the song they're playing (regardless of who made the song, it's still playing a song and since the event is meant for playing songs, why not play a song - song song song).
    [b]Nimrodel [SIZE=1]~ Flock of Moosen[/SIZE][/b]
    [size=1][b]Linyc Thequar[/b], Champion 100[/size]

Then turn your sounds off other than music... Public forum = Everyone's right to do what they want to. Quit your complaining, it is obviously in line with the rules other wise said members would have been punished.

Don't like it, go to your kin house, you can't have it your way in a public forum I am afraid... but I welcome and will attend the first kin house concert on Nimrodel.

Plus, no I am not saying the rights of one trumps the rights of the many... But I am saying, you have the right to perform there... but people have the right to blow their horns, set off fireworks, play music next to you, slap you with the /slap emote and do what ever they want to, as you are standing in a public forum. Now if you think you get more rights because you think typing /play "insert text file not created by you in the first place here" makes you community wide geniuses then you are severely misguided and frankly just as childish as the people who troll your concerts, at least they don't spit their dummies out when something doesn't go their way. Plus, I don't see any posts saying that you guys shouldn't play music by these said people, or hear of any tickets getting sent in about it? Frankly, with the state of the game, I feel you even reporting them is wasting GM's time and probably exactly why they have gone ignored.

Either way, if they bother you so, just host it at your house, it's that simple, at least then you can moderate who enters... If you really want it in Bree, be prepared for them to show up... or at least only advertise it in game instead of on the forums.
    The fanciful version of events you have managed to construct, while quite vivid and imaginative, only reside within the confines of your own mind I am afraid.

This is the reality. We have what started as one and has expanded to three people who have declared war on the event, the kins who hosts it, the people involved in the kins and the bands. This is no longer taking place only on stage at concerts but randomly throughout the day whether at the auction hall in Bree or fighting warbands in Rohan. The events that occur once a month are crashed yes, but also random members are heckled, sent tells, and followed about while attempting to play throughout the day. Their reasoning being that music is stupid and has no business in the game and the kin responsible needs to be hounded off of the server so people stop trying to play music in their game.

As to the helpful advice of others, I do think we should be attaching logs in our reports and will be including that information, as well as reiterating our stance on the ignore and report methodology. We will be also sending tells to others that attend and express dissatisfaction of the bad behavior so those outside the kin will ignore and report as well. Thank you for the advice and the support.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Here is a very sad reality. Where there are people there will be trolls. Unfortunately we can only do so much to contain the problem and even less to prevent it.
    From the group that launched a DDoS attack on the Extra Life website during the marathon to prevent donations to someone who stands around trying to disrupt an in game concert there is a simple reality that some people just like to make trouble. They hope someone will eventually post about so they can brag. One way or another the ultimate goal is to be able to say "I did that."

It's unfortunate, but that is the reality. I'll pass this along to our CS team to make them aware that this happened and to take any actions or review any policies they feel appropriate.

Hearing that about the DDoS attack disgusts me :/

Thank you Sapience for the information. Yes, the attack on Extra Life was abominable.

It's unfortunate, but that is the reality. I'll pass this along to our CS team to make them aware that this happened and to take any actions or review any policies they feel appropriate.
    Seriously??? I LOVE YOU! Thank you so much for passing this info on!!! I told ya I LOVE YA right??

Passing the information on though is just doing the same as sending the tickets though, unless they do change policies I fail to see how this will help the situation. Until the policies are changed I urge you to host your concerts in your kinship house to stop further interruptions to your concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post

Last time I checked you would be arrested for preforming the actions that these people have been. When I've attended concerts like this there are police onsite who arrest anyone who is disruptive like they are. How about if you walk up to a player and put your genitals in their face? Think officials are going to say, well we're in a public park so that's okay. How about three people come up on horse and put the horse's but in the lead's face and rub it back and forth, in front of the audience while playing? This is sexual harassment plane and simple and turbine did nothing.

Personally I don't mind the fireworks, they're nice. It's the horn blowing and specifically-designed-to-break-things music that they play. Yes, the ABC files they play have been created with too many notes - more than LOTRO's system can handle making people lag or DC.

To some of the comments about it being a public area so anything goes.... Why then did Turbine make it a "serious business" area where you're not allowed to use festival items? How about we make it a truly serious business area and allow bands to preform on the stage they designed and placed just for this? Go to the Bree stage and see what shows up on your buff/debuff bar.

If it's a matter of making VIP players happy, why am I as a VIP player discounted when I report someone. How does that make them money. They can keep a VIP who is making trouble or a VIP who is trying to use the world they have so carefully designed in a nice manner.

Also, if we use a Kin house for a server wide event the "bouncers" are going to have to manually type each players name into the permissions window, grant them visitor rights, and apply it for them to enter. That's a big amount of work - on top of it not being anywhere nearly as accessible as a common area like Bree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Here is a very sad reality. Where there are people there will be trolls. Unfortunately we can only do so much to contain the problem and even less to prevent it.
    From the group that launched a DDoS attack on the Extra Life website during the marathon to prevent donations to someone who stands around trying to disrupt an in game concert there is a simple reality that some people just like to make trouble. They hope someone will eventually post about so they can brag. One way or another the ultimate goal is to be able to say "I did that."

Thanks! Any response is great. We just want to be able to use the world you guys have designed, hopefully in the spirit it was intended for.

Thank you Sapience for responding. Just responding to that DDoS part you mentioned - not sure which type of technology you guys use for mitigation but I suggest using the round-robin DNS, which will clear out any type of load very easily and it costs nearly nothing to do that. Of course there are some issues with round-robin technology, but this is my suggestion in case you're wondering how to defend it :-)

Being a VIP

Does not convey the right to grief other players.

Which is what these disruptors are doing.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

As with any other problem in life, you must find the correct channels to go through to get them resolved. Now we know what we must do. Sapience gave us the clue now it's our job to follow that clue. We, the Flock of Moosen and Rendezvous with Destiny are committed to making this a better community for everyone. It's ok, to have fun in the game that's why we are here, but having your fun should not be at the expense of others. Respect your fellow players and in turn you will be respected. Just remember one thing, respect can never be demanded it must be earned. We just hope you all enjoy Middle-earth as much as we do.

Great adventures all!
    Last edited by Gunslinger53; Dec 11 2013 at 02:19 PM.

You are assuming the community wants your help... Big assumption there.

I answer to "Why not just do the concert at your kinhouse?". The point of these concerts is that it is a Server wide event. Moving these concerts to a Kinhouse would, in effect make them a Kinship event. And that option has, of course been discussed. It is not as if we haven't thought about that. But in choosing that option, it would defeat the main purpose of the event itself. That suggestion is certainly appreciated, however we consider that a last resort. As there are many that come to the concerts, to enjoy them for what they are. My fear is they might not attend if they have to go through the hassle of schlepping out to the homesteads, finding the correct neighbor, looking for the kinhouse, contact whoever is responsible for adding them to the housing permissions, and then waiting to be admitted. If it turns out that that it's more important to tolerate unprovoked rude, disruptive, and completely disrespectful behavior, well, then I suppose, so be it.....That however should make all of us very sad

Additionally: Nimrodel has become more and more empty and there isn't much players to find anymore. Bree is a place everybody knows, it's in the middle of new players' reach and simply it doesn't harrass anyone if someone plays songs on a stage that is meant for playing songs or whatever. You guys are just avoiding the fact that it's a stage and it's there for a reason. We want to use it but we can't because some minors come and ruin it.

You think we have been showing up to your concerts for months now just randomly? We have had a reason this the entire time. Im just not at words to say why and from whom. If you want us to stop showinig up at your concerts fight us in the moors just once to show the certain someone in your kin with a loud mouth why you dont go in moors. Till then, see you at the next concert!

Ps. Nice thread good laughs.

Here is one of the reasons I started this post, when it went from bothering the concerts to constant tells and mails from one player I decided it was time... This came straight from my ingame mail. And who the LOUD MOUTH is I have no clue.

What a sad "reason"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001e6467/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast