We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emerald shards

Emerald shards

These expected to hit skirmish camp anytime soon?
    Sabian- Hunter85
    All warfare is based on deception

Quote Originally Posted by Sabian49 View Post
    These expected to hit skirmish camp anytime soon?
    My guess is no

no Emerald shards is fine, it gives the landscape/crafters something to do with their time since they don't play in the Moors or do many big battles.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    no Emerald shards is fine, it gives the landscape/crafters something to do with their time since they don't play in the Moors or do many big battles.
    And those who craft, quest, big battle, warband and instance.... You just wave at with your mass of shards that you put on the auction house for ungodly prices to pay for your housing chests.

Quote Originally Posted by PKCrichton View Post
    And those who craft, quest, big battle, warband and instance.... You just wave at with your mass of shards that you put on the auction house for ungodly prices to pay for your housing chests.

lol, ya, pretty much
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

yea,they are expensive - on Gilarain cheapest is around 140g on global,ah even more

Yeah riddermark is averaging about 100g each, thought Id ask
    Sabian- Hunter85
    All warfare is based on deception

They dont normally add the shard item to skirm camp till 1st agers are available (a few months after release). at least that has been the way it was in past.

The drop rates need to be increased from live a little. I am hoping that is done for 12.1...as it is currently on live, it's almost silly.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo07 View Post
    The drop rates need to be increased from live a little. I am hoping that is done for 12.1...as it is currently on live, it's almost silly.
    Drop rates at release are a pretty tough thing to get right,
    as this is the point where nearly every one is roaming the landscape and hitting nodes,
    a slight increase in drop rate could simply trivialise the shards.

In a later update it makes sense to increase drops as most people are just standing around in Aldburg,
    with only a few tough explorers venturing beyond the gates.
    Probably not this one though.

So far I got on average 1-2 shards per toon on the way to the Deep.*
    If you want you can barter 2 more (spending all your westemnet tokens) once you hit kindred rep.
    And you ll probably raise enough gold on the way to buy one more shard from someone who was more lucky.
    It feels like overall the drop rate is relatively balanced (unless you're very unlucky with your LI's).

*I did feel a bit at a disadvantage on my scholar though due to the very sparse chest population,
    our only alternative is growing enough coffee to keep middle earth awake until the next age.
    [COLOR=DARKGREY][B]THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Maligree View Post
    Drop rates at release are a pretty tough thing to get right,
    as this is the point where nearly every one is roaming the landscape and hitting nodes,
    a slight increase in drop rate could simply trivialise the shards.
    Disagree.

I've been playing my Jeweller exclusively for the last 3 days, I have harvested every ore node I have seen (averaging 750+ ore a day) and I have seen not one single shard.

Drop rate is just too low, end of.

All The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Egilric View Post
    Disagree.

I've been playing my Jeweller exclusively for the last 3 days, I have harvested every ore node I have seen (averaging 750+ ore a day) and I have seen not one single shard.

All The Best
    yup, I'm at 800 ore today, not a single shard on my prospector

till you got about 20 stacks of erolingas ingots sitting in the bank wasting space and only got 2 shards to show for it

I've mined around 100 nodes on my champ and got 3 shards, I think the drop-rate is too high
    Although the above is true and I feel very lucky these incidents don't say much about the drop-rate.

There are several factors that are important to decide how the drop-rate is.

The first one is what does the Dev want to achieve? Should the item feel rare/ worthwhile?
    I think in this case the answer is yes. It's probably undesirable that 'everyone' can have the best stuff ingame very quickly after launch.

The second one is what is the demand? Is the item usefull?
    In this case the answer is also yes.

If you combine those 2 you can go towards saying something about the drop rate. If the developers want the players to get 1 shard on average a week so it will take several weeks to get the good stuff, the drop rate is probably just spot on.

Another thing we shouldn't forget is that it's a chance you get this item. So you can be lucky, but you also can be unlucky.
    An example:
    - If the drop rate is 1% you have a 0,7% chance that you won't have a shard after 500 mining attempts.
    - If the drop rate is 1% and 100 people each do 500 mining attempts there is a 52% chance that at least 1 of them won't have a shard

If you change these numbers to 500 mining attempts and 10.000 players with a 1% drop chance you get the following numbers:
    - individual chance for bad luck: 8.2%
    - the chance that at least 1 person out of those 10k players has bad luck: almost 100%
    Server: Evernight

Main: Thrabath - Champion - Lvl 105; Thramhir - Minstrel - Lvl 105

Fine as it is now, prices simply need to go down.
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

You can still ignore the skirm camp and farm on the landscape; putting them on the barterer will not remove them from the nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmi View Post
    yea,they are expensive - on Gilarain cheapest is around 140g on global,ah even more
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabian49 View Post
    Yeah riddermark is averaging about 100g each, thought Id ask
    They go for 400-500 gold on Imladris; the price is really prohibitive. You can still get them from the Helmingas rep vendor but the cost in tokens is way too high.
    And then, forever remains that change from G to E minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemiire View Post
    You can still ignore the skirm camp and farm on the landscape; putting them on the barterer will not remove them from the nodes.

They go for 400-500 gold on Imladris; the price is really prohibitive. You can still get them from the Helmingas rep vendor but the cost in tokens is way too high.
    With RoR you could get what 25 tokens from hytbold and about another 50+ from daily quests and warbands a day. This gave us a good way to get landscape tokens for bartering purposes. But with HD we only have warbands. Sure we are about to get 6 or so more as dailies but that is still only what 19 warbands giving I think 2 tokens each. Its a far cry from what we could get from Eastemnet and Wildermore and very prohibitive. Shards need to be added to skirm camps already especially since we know for a fact we have no PvE armor sets coming in any time soon. By having them in the skirm camp it.

1. gives us a more reasonable means to obtain them.
    2. it will drive the AH prices down for those who don't want to use the skirm camp.
    3. Those who want to do rep barter or farm crafting nodes can still use those methods to obtain them.

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    Fine as it is now, prices simply need to go down.

You say prices need to go down well there are only two ways that will happen. First is for them to become easier to obtain. Second is for them to be obsolete. The 2nd isn't going to happen for another year so we have to deal with the Supply issue and right now you only have resource drops and highly limited reputation barter which is why the prices are skyrocketing on the server and being sold as if they are 1st age symbols or Horse Lord recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Egilric View Post
    Disagree.

All The Best

Far too low. I have harvested over 1,200 logs so far and not a single shard.

I understand drop rates can be tough on release, but you shouldn't be mining hundreds of nodes without a drop. You would think that after the first couple of expansions they would have a pretty good feel for what drop rates should be on this type of thing....but when you emerald shards being sold for more than symbols...you have an issue imho. I would argue it's better for shards to be at too high of a drop rate than too low. Too low hurts the majority of the player base by driving prices through the roof whereas a higher drop rate lowers prices because everybody has one. A middle ground would obviously be nice, but why hurt the majority of players who are trying to get their gear? You could probably double the drop rate that it is currently and be in a pretty good place.

It's simply RNG.....

I agree that the drop rate is kinda low, but people saying it's far too low as they have gotten over 1000 etc and still none are just unlucky there. most I have gone is 400 odd ore/logs/scholary things.

maybe i'm lucky? got the right node at right time? who knows.

However with the ease of getting symbols, maybe they want shards to be rarer, I remember when crest were easy to get in Rohan and people were initially complaining of symbol drops (before the farm for 1st agers), or in RoI with it there.

Will always be wrong one way
    Retired from EM until things are kinda balanced again

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo07 View Post
    Would you like a SA handed to you upon login also? and maybe a new set of crafted armour also?

Seriously the drop rate is perfect, and the fact you can barter for them also is enough. There has to be some challenging content to this game and getting a shard is currently it.
    Snowbourn - Commander Shakbasher - Lieutenant Glurf

Warriors of The Great Eye

It's not challenging. Boring maybe, you could say that.

Through leveling, I usually have around 7 shards in RoR. As of now, I capped 2 characters, the first one got 2 shards, the second one 3. Just for testing, I have done some mining in moria : 2 mithrils flakes for 140 skarn. It could be I have been lucky... but I prefer to think the drop rate isn't the same. That's why I didn't craft anything save my 3 legendary weapons for my main char. So, it's just killing crafting more than everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PKCrichton View Post
    You say prices need to go down well there are only two ways that will happen. First is for them to become easier to obtain. Second is for them to be obsolete. The 2nd isn't going to happen for another year so we have to deal with the Supply issue and right now you only have resource drops and highly limited reputation barter which is why the prices are skyrocketing on the server and being sold as if they are 1st age symbols or Horse Lord recipes.
    There's just as much Shards on the AH, as there were Crests in RoR. Difference is about 80g, though.
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyR View Post
    There has to be some challenging content to this game and getting a shard is currently it.
    Are you in any way challenged by farming 1000+ ore?

If you think farming resource nodes is "challenging" may I respectfully suggest you don't try anything harder - like attacking a deer.

All The Best

I would really not mind as much, if there were a good set of dailies to do for tokens in order to barter for shards. Other than group-only warbands, that is.
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast