We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....

"Rainin' all over the world...."

When it rains in Middle Earth, I'm reminded of the lyrics of an old Benton Brook song:

"A rainy night in Georgia, such a rainy night in Georgia
    Lord, I believe it's rainin' all over the world
    I feel like it's rainin' all over the world
    How many times I wondered
    It still comes out the same
    No matter how you look at it or think of it
    It's life and you just got to play the game...."

Because when it rains in Middle Earth, it does seem to rain all over the world.

Recently a study was published by a climatologist at the University of Bristol who signs himself as "Radagast the Brown". Said scientist applied a climate model first used to model long-term global weather patterns in the present day and during the late Cretaceous period to Middle Earth itself - using data found in Tolkien's maps and in climatological and geological descriptions from LotR, The Hobbit, and other sources.

You can find the study here. (You can also find the same study in "fake" elvish and dwarfish script from the same site, but since the languages are direct translations and grammatically dissimilar to Tolkien's own language inventions, I wouldn't bother.)

I realize that creating an accurate and comprehensive pattern of weather all over Middle Earth has no profitable value to Turbine or LotRO. Even so, the study is of value to anyone interested in the finer points of Tolkien's world-building.
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ad[/COLOR] [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]astra[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]per alia[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]porci[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kathindi View Post
    (You can also find the same study in "fake" elvish and dwarfish script from the same site, but since the languages are direct translations and grammatically dissimilar to Tolkien's own language inventions, I wouldn't bother.)
    Translations or transliterations?

Remember that the in-game world is smaller than that in the books, and that
    the area of Middle-earth covered in the books is equivalent to a smallish part
    of Western Europe.

I remember in Asheron's Call, in its early days when we had Advocates and I was
    one, getting /a messages from someone stationed in Eastham (eastern shore)
    that it was raining where he was, and knowing that in ten or fifteen minutes it
    would be raining in Yaraq (on the western shore of the Inner Sea). The whole
    island of Dereth was stated by a dev to be forty miles across, so say from Eastham
    to Yaraq was twenty miles. That makes perfect sense.

I see no reason why a carefully-designed weather system should not precipitate
    from Falathlorn to the Misty Mountains, dropping rain or snow depending on the
    climate.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

"Save me, oh, save me
    It's unreal, the suffering
    There's gonna be a Showdown.

And it's rainin' all over the world
    It's raining all over the world
    Tonight...
    the longest night."

I suspect Jeff Lynne was at Helm's Dike.
    Last edited by HunterGreen; Dec 07 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Font color went insane!

in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Translations or transliterations?
    Partial transliterations in an attempt to directly translate.
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ad[/COLOR] [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]astra[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]per alia[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]porci[/COLOR][/B]