We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Picking between warden, and loremaster

Odd variety I know but the lore and play style descriptions of each of these classes are the most appealing to me. I like the thought of the warden because of the javelin throwing and its versatility (sounds like a good balance between dps and tank). In a group can they get away with being a dps or are they required to tank all the time? How hard is the gambit system to get a hold on, i've played him to 10.

Loremaster I like because of the dps aspect (i've played one to 10 so far as well), and the animations are looking pretty great, the pets are nice but not something I like to rely on to heavily. (i don't like to micromanage pets).

What i'm looking for is fun game play, soloability (i play a lot at work so i need to be able to duck out if i need to), and desired in groups. I'm starting anew but I would look to pvp a little someday.

Quote Originally Posted by toby918 View Post
    Odd variety I know but the lore and play style descriptions of each of these classes are the most appealing to me. I like the thought of the warden because of the javelin throwing and its versatility (sounds like a good balance between dps and tank). In a group can they get away with being a dps or are they required to tank all the time? How hard is the gambit system to get a hold on, i've played him to 10.

Loremaster I like because of the dps aspect (i've played one to 10 so far as well), and the animations are looking pretty great, the pets are nice but not something I like to rely on to heavily. (i don't like to micromanage pets).

What i'm looking for is fun game play, soloability (i play a lot at work so i need to be able to duck out if i need to), and desired in groups. I'm starting anew but I would look to pvp a little someday.

Well, having a warden at high levels and a lore master at mid levels... you'll get soloability either way. If anything, my 32 loremaster is more powerful after HD. As to pets... I almost never find myself micromanaging, since you only get one pet and it doesn't have THAT many skills. (I used to play a mastermind, if you know what that is, well was... 6+ pets, now that took some micromanaging!).

As to desired in groups... I think LMs are mostly desired for power restores and debuffing, as well as AOE DPS, in groups, or they used to be. Wardens are usually needed as tanks and not particularly sought for much else. LMs are kind of swiss-army knives in groups, or that's my memory of it - haven't done endgame instances in a LONG time. OTOH it depends on your group - if you only PUG, expect to tank on your warden, or if there's you AND a Guard, expect the Guard to tank and the warden will off-tank/light DPS.

Thing is, with the new system, you can keep one solo spec and one group spec ready at all times, without spending any Mithril coins on a third spec tree. Or just burn the turbine points - they're not horribly expensive, although as a lifetimer, I do earn a lot of points and rarely spend them, so I have a lot saved up and will not spend a dime to get a third tree on like 5 of my 9 chars.

Can't speak to PVP as I only do it VERY rarely.

As to gambits - I found it relatively easy - eventually. There are a lot of related gambit "trees", like Shield-Fist, Shield-Fist-Shield, etc etc. Usually they get more powerful the more builders you add. BUT it takes both building muscle memory,and once you get masteries, some brain memory as well to remember what to click when.

If you keep up with the warden, I'd find and download one of the many gambit charts people have put together over the years. The graphics really helped.

My wife played lotro for some time, but never really got the hang of gambits, and preferred her Guardian. We're both lifetimers, but she hasn't played regularly in probably a couple years. So... it depends. I eventually found remembering them easy, she didn't...

I stalled out in Rohan when I switched to another game (also, I find horse combat kinda boring), but I'm now swapping between games more often because the tree system proved more interesting than I feared, as my highest level was an RK and felt gutted early on, let's say. Not so much now... liking the changes, overall, so far.

Hope this helps...

When Lore Master vs Warden, i prefer Lore Master!
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Traditionally these are both classes that required some time and patience to learn their rotation of skills. This changed for the LM on this last update (for me at least) as the LM can now both spam and rely on pets for DPS. So if you don't have the time or patience to learn all your gambits then LM is your choice.

As to desirability in groups the Warden has a secure place as a tank in group play. The Lore-master has again fluctuated of late. When lotro had an abundance of frequently played difficult content then the the LM's crowd control was highly desirable to get through this material. Of late the CC seems hardly necessary to complete the latest group content but both LM's DPS and healing have gotten big boosts prompting invitations to groups for other reasons. (Well, the healing boost's from an "exploit" but that's another discussion.) The point is it probably won't take much of a nerf to bump the LM out his seat at the table sad to say, so proceed at your own risk. I myself am currently flogging my LM for all he's worth at least until the next update.

Loremaster is ranged spellcaster that requires preparation and debuffs before actually fighting anything. If you're patient and enjoy a support class, go with Loremaster.

Warden is the more direct combat class. S/he is meant to go knee deep into 10+ mobs at a time and come out on top. As a warden, you can usually win most fights through attrition.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000007617a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]