We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Running across the world is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!

Why do you have to run across the world to unlock stables? I mean I just want to get to breeland and its taking me hours to get there.
    If your going to start copying other games maybe actually see why people like those games over this one.

You can swift-travel to Bree for free from Celondim, Thorin's Hall, and Michel Delving.

Quote Originally Posted by SjsharksBoy View Post
    You can swift-travel to Bree for free from Celondim, Thorin's Hall, and Michel Delving.
    The concept of being unable to get a horse (only in AC2 it was a portal tie
    to parts of Knorr) until you'd been there overland was introduced in Asheron's
    Call 2, mostly because those places were full of really nasty mobs, and
    Turbine didn't want players going there before they were tough enough to
    survive longer than a few minutes.

I assume the reasoning is the same here. You don't really want to go to
    the Misties at level-7-and-straight-out-of-the-newbie-instance, now
    do you? (The only people I ever encountered who did, were gold farmers,
    which is why the mobs now aggro specifically on low-level player characters.)

And, as mentioned above, there is Really Cheap swift travel among Thorin's
    Gate, Celondim, Michel Delving, and West Bree.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by StoneyViking View Post
    Why do you have to run across the world to unlock stables? I mean I just want to get to breeland and its taking me hours to get there.
    If your going to start copying other games maybe actually see why people like those games over this one.
    So you don't want the drops and nodes in between? You do realize this is an open world MMO right? Meaning a lot of travel time. If you just take rides stable to stable you will be missing out on quite a lot.
    But then that question prompts the question have you seen the movies or read the books?
    More over it's only about a 15-20 minute run from the shire to Bree.

Or you can spend 1 Mithril Coin for any locked travel routes.

Hours to get to Breeland? As much as I wish the world was to scale, and this would be a dream come true for me, the fact is you can get from the Shire to Bree in under 20 minutes.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Hours to get to Breeland? As much as I wish the world was to scale, and this would be a dream come true for me, the fact is you can get from the Shire to Bree in under 20 minutes.
    Just don't take a left at the crossroads or you'll end up in the North Downs!
    I like ice cream.

You'll recall that Aragorn says of the Forsaken Inn that it is
    "a day's journey east of Bree." I can run it afoot in eight
    minutes. On the slowest of horses, faster than that.

They had to shrink the world or we'd never get anywhere.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I still walk a lot at level 92. Nobody ever made much gold just riding by things.
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    So you don't want the drops and nodes in between? You do realize this is an open world MMO right? Meaning a lot of travel time. If you just take rides stable to stable you will be missing out on quite a lot.
    But then that question prompts the question have you seen the movies or read the books?
    More over it's only about a 15-20 minute run from the shire to Bree.
    I've not timed it or anything, but i'm pretty sure a run from the start of the shire to bree town would take less than this. The game really is disappointingly small. Wish it was more like dayz and, no magic immersion braking swift travel there.
    [center][img]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii317/saiyaniam/abdlotro.png[/img][/center]

[center]AshBrockDawn | Rockmor | Moriak | Thamor | Ranak
    Server: Eldar [/center]

People are really exaggerating the time it takes to travel here. Traveling from the Brandywine Bridge to the West Gate of Bree is easily less than 5 minutes on horse.

The sea is calling us home...

Travelling around LOTRO on foot is part of the fun - otherwise you'll miss out on seeing some of the landmarks and you'll also miss some deeds.

As for other games - Rift is no different, one has to travel on foot to the portals to unlock them. Travelling around WoW is even slower - there is no swift travel option if you rule out Mage's portals and some gates to other regions.
    <A sig goes here>

also keep in mind that time in game is different than our time. a whole day in game would only take a few hours to pass by in RL. so really that 20 minute walk was a few hour journey when you look at the sun/moon.

Hours? Not hardly.

The Order of The Silver Flame - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!

Well if I recall the original story the Fellowship didn't have fast travel options to get to where they were going. You could say Frodo used a fast travel option to get back from Mt Doom but he had still visited there on foot first

*LOTRO Store*
    There And Back Again for only 4 Mithril Coins!

The sea is calling us home...

What is your problem? You open the gift box, unwrap the hose whistle and ride off.

Pff some people. Good god. 'Viking'. Pah. Ride to stable. Discover stable. Not so hard.

Not sure what online games you've been playing but even Guild Wars, that has instant free travel between outposts still requires you to manually walk to each one before you can fast travel there. And come on man, this is Middle Earth here, why would you not want to take your time and enjoy exploring the world? Seriously a couple of friends and I recently made new characters and we made an awesome time of it walking to bree by doing a pub crawl through the shire and finishing up at the prancing pony, it was a great time for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    I still walk a lot at level 92. Nobody ever made much gold just riding by things.
    Yup. That is true for most of my characters. My 54th level Hunter/explorer, has 9 horses but is on foot most all the time You can't find the Easter eggs from horse back on the path.

Assuming this wasn't a troll post....

You can swift travel for 1 silver between Celondim, Thorin's Hall, Michel Delving and Bree without having to discover any of the other 3 stable points.

Once you're out of the starting instance, you'll get a blue gift box in the mail. Inside the blue box is a pink box with a whistle in it that summons a horse which you can ride between any of the starter towns if you pay attention to the maps.

If you're determined to do it the hard way, remember that the <insert> key toggles between walking and running. I find it hard to believe that even if you're walking from Thorin's to Bree it could take even a single hour, let alone many hours.

Running is good! Like the above posts, swift travel is your friend and instant taxi.

Fighting across the world isn't much fun either. And there-in lies the real problem here.

If their world wasn't so painfully dull to explore players wouldn't mind doing it.

Talking

Hey^_^ look at the bright side at least your character gets enough exercise for one day :P

I there were more places that were very difficult to reach and did not have horse routes. CD/Uru used to be like this and even Angmar to some extent. Travel should mean something. Unfortunately in all Turbine games it's nothing more than a portal/horse route away. Make the trip once, it's not a big deal.
    Freeps: Venusia (Guardian), Silya (RK), Dwayr (Champion), Nissys (Captain), Filodon (Burgler), Tyveil (Lore-master)
    Creeps: Venusiel (R7 Weaver), Tyveilakh (R5 Warleader)
    [url="http://kingsbeyondthewall.com/"]Kings Beyond the Wall[/url]

I gotta make a thread about this!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast