We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    I thought it was an Anglicization of Sinterklaas.
    Could be! Put 10 etymologists in a room and they'll come out with at LEAST 11 theories on the origin and evolution of any word or name. In either case, it all seems to trace back to Saint Nick. Oh, and maybe Odin, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    Could be! Put 10 etymologists in a room and they'll come out with at LEAST 11 theories on the origin and evolution of any word or name. In either case, it all seems to trace back to Saint Nick. Oh, and maybe Odin, lol.
    Hmmm. Santa Claus with an eyepatch? I approve!
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragnosis View Post
    Well, gunpowder is a component of fireworks and questing in the Shire gives us some rocket type fireworks as well, so this is just another apparent historical anachronism in the enjoyable world of Middle Earth.

Au contraire, mon frère (to indulge in an elvish tongue known as "French"...). Fireworks and black powder were well-known to the dwarfs in Tolkien's work, having been first developed and refined in Aulë's forges in Aman during the First Age. It follows that both the elves and the Istari - Gandalf in particular - knew of them as well.

As for Christmas, Saint Nick, and other pagan-born, Christian-influenced rituals, I agree with those who say that such celebrations and stories should fit within Tolkien's world-building - but I'd temper that with an observation that Tolkien himself pointed out that stories of Middle Earth and Arda were deeply influenced by Catholic theology and mythology.

[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ad[/COLOR] [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]astra[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]per alia[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]porci[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SjsharksBoy View Post
    Well, that page (that google translated) didn't say that it was only for EU players, so I submitted an entry.

As did I, GL SharkBoy.

"And that's the fishing line, cuz SharkBoy say's so!"
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2