We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where is our Saint Nicholas event?

I'm not german nor french, but Saint Nicholas is one of our most popular if not our most popular holiday. Not all of your english speaking customers are americans and I think it's a bit discriminating not to give us an english version of the event.
    [color=mediumblue]Curuorn, Guardian - Barcode, Warden, leader of Rebirth -[/color][color=Maroon] Dodar, Reaver - Curuornn, Warleader[/color]
    [color=forestgreen]One of the founders of KhaosRogues (R.I.P. Muz, Goor, Lasto), son of Vandalf.[/color]
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/CuruuKR/featured]Withywindle PvMP Videos[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by CuruornEU View Post
    I'm not german nor french, but Saint Nicholas is one of our most popular if not our most popular holiday. Not all of your english speaking customers are americans and I think it's a bit discriminating not to give us an english version of the event.
    Ummm... I have to assume you are not familiar with the Winter fest? There has never really been a a fest that discriminates based on a particular nationality. Might I suggest a bit of research before you attempt to set up a straw-man?

Quote Originally Posted by Datheor View Post
    Ummm... I have to assume you are not familiar with the Winter fest? There has never really been a a fest that discriminates based on a particular nationality. Might I suggest a bit of research before you attempt to set up a straw-man?
    ^This

As an European english speaker I would point out that in my country almost no one uses the term St Nicholas. Winterfest is not an American event, its a middle earth event that mirrors the end of year festivities of the real world.

He's talking about a St Nicolas / Nikolaus event that is seemingly only for French and German players.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...73#post7028273
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...74#post7028274

OP: Try and be clearer what you're on about or people just get very confused

I've been wondering also why there's no English version, as well as the blending of 'St Nicholas' with LOTR which is distinctly un-lore.
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lilka View Post
    He's talking about a St Nicolas / Nikolaus event that is seemingly only for French and German players.
    And Dutch and Belgian players, of course !

I know in Germany, Saint Nicholas comes the evening of DEC 6th and places a few candy/nuts/fruit/present into shoes the Kinders leave outside their door. It was nice of the game to do something - but I agree, next time include everyone.
    Member of the Vocal Minority

In America many children grow up hearing about Santa Claus who will bring them presents. I don't know the history of how Santa Claus came to be associated with Christmas in this country rather than the traditional Saint Nicholas day, but it is clear that Santa Claus is the Americanized Saint Nicholas. Some Christmas songs still refer to him as "Saint Nick". The little boy in me wants in on any goodies associated with Saint Nicholas or Santa Claus or whatever we call him

Would have been nice too (for all 'christian' players worldwide) if there would be a lottery distributing some candy.
    The players not living in a country with a christian background probably will be happy to participate too, no matter the reason for a lottery
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000020d796/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Whatever... thanks for bringing it to my attention, as I haven't yet been in the German forum part today *bows gratefully*
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

Thanks to the OP for reminding me of this. Although I'm American I spent part of my childhood in Germany and I still have fond memories of rosy cheeked children coming to our door on Saint Nicholas eve singing carols to us. It didn't matter that the songs were in German while we spoke English. We always thanked them and gave them presents of fruit and nuts and candy. Then we badgered our parents to be allowed to place our shoes outside the door so Saint Nicholas would come for us too. OF course, we still got to have Santa Claus bring presents as well

To be fair, there is no such thing as Saint Nicholas in Middle Earth so adding it seems a little... I dunno. Unnecessary?
    Blaize, Ellorien, Melica, Rhedyn, Finriel, Aerynna, Merywen, Faelarth, and Tathriel, wandering the shores of Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize_EU View Post
    To be fair, there is no such thing as Saint Nicholas in Middle Earth so adding it seems a little... I dunno. Unnecessary?
    Yes. The end of the Third Age and the beginning of the Fourth of Middle-earth are millenia
    before Abraham, let alone Jesus and the Christian saints. Tolkien was careful not to insert out-of-period
    saints into his narrative. The Hobbits celebrate Yule, which is your basic Northern Hemisphere "Hooray,
    the winter solstice is past, the sun is starting to climb north again" festival.

P.S. Oh, and as to "when," the Winter Festival starts on December 18th.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Yes. The end of the Third Age and the beginning of the Fourth of Middle-earth are millenia
    before Abraham, let alone Jesus and the Christian saints. Tolkien was careful not to insert out-of-period
    saints into his narrative. The Hobbits celebrate Yule, which is your basic Northern Hemisphere "Hooray,
    the winter solstice is past, the sun is starting to climb north again" festival.

P.S. Oh, and as to "when," the Winter Festival starts on December 18th.
    I agree that Tolkein was correct in not bringing Christian saints into Middle Earth, and in the stories of Middle Earth he removes any obvious religious connotations to the celebration of Yule, but historically the celebration of Yule was very much a religious practice which included living sacrifices. Today Yule is synonymous with Christmas in many countries and some of the practices we associate with Christmas go back to Germanic and Druidic worship. Tolkein did refrain from some obvious religious anachronisms in Middle Earth, which I agree was correct, but he certainly did not refrain from other historical anachronisms.

Players are always welcome to throw private parties at their kin house, an inn, a public stage, and so forth. You can have a Saint Nicholas, Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Saturnalia, winter, yule, white elephant, advent, boxing day, or whatever sort of party you like. Set a date and time, head over to the Player Events forum, and post your plans if you'd like to make it public and invite everyone. You can create whatever ABC music you need for your specific theme. Enjoy!
    --= Windy Acres Ranch -- http://SteelAndMagic.com =--

(1) Saint Nicklaus --> sant nicklaus --> sant acklaus --> santa cklaus -- Santa Claus. The name Santa Claus is a direct rendition of Saint Nicklaus (Saint Nicolas) filtered through hundreds of years of children's voices.

(2) I agree, why only for French and German speakers. After seeing the FR & GE announcemets in Dev Tracker, I waited all yesterday afternoon/evening for the English version to be posted (I speak French and limited German, so knew what I was waiting for). In retrospect, perhaps this is a little counter-reward to some players who sometimes miss out on other promotions, like Hobbit movie tickets or twitter contests or whatever. Explanation would have been good, whatever the thought.

(3) As children, we learned to put our shoes out one night a year a couple of weeks before Christmas so "Saint Nick" could come visit us. My 2nd or 3rd generation German-American grandmother gave us this tradition. Truth be told, didn't know it was Saint Nicholas day, thought it had something to do with the Twelve Days of Christmas we were always singing about. Hehe.

(4) Yah, dunno what Christian holiday has to do with LOTRO, but it's still nice for LOTRO staff to give a little gift to players. I'm personally expecting Something Big on Saint Barbara's Day (patron saint of engineers and artillerymen).
    Last edited by Angadan; Dec 06 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    I'm personally expecting Something Big on Saint Barbara's Day (patron saint of engineers and artillerymen).
    And rocket scientists and astronauts.

Trouble is, in Middle-earth nobody has gunpowder/artillery/napalm/etcetera except Saruman.

On the other hand, St. Barbara is also associated with lightning strikes, which LMs and RKs make
    some use of; and there are always fireworks.

And a quick google tells me her day is December 4, so it's already over for this year. You could
    start planning your party now for next year. Store up fireworks.
    Last edited by djheydt; Dec 06 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Dangit!
    Had a great party with some French Army officers in Compiegne on St Barbara's Day one year. As I recall, the resulting headache lasted about three days.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    And rocket scientists and astronauts.

Trouble is, in Middle-earth nobody has gunpowder/artillery/napalm/etcetera except Saruman.

On the other hand, St. Barbara is also associated with lightning strikes, which LMs and RKs make
    some use of; and there are always fireworks.

And a quick google tells me her day is December 4, so it's already over for this year. You could
    start planning your party now for next year. Store up fireworks.
    Well, gunpowder is a component of fireworks and questing in the Shire gives us some rocket type fireworks as well, so this is just another apparent historical anachronism in the enjoyable world of Middle Earth.

Back to the topic on hand. With that event, I don't mind that there is not a US version of it. After all, how many contest and give-aways do we have that the EU players can not take part in.
    Welcome to Maitenance Mode
    Please Add Draigoch Scales to the Skrimish Camp or Rep Barter Vendors in Dunland We are 30 Levels Past that Content
    And when the Devs make fun of how buggy it is in Bingo that should tell you something
    Peace Love and Tacos

Well, that page (that google translated) didn't say that it was only for EU players, so I submitted an entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel666 View Post
    Would have been nice too (for all 'christian' players worldwide) if there would be a lottery distributing some candy.
    The players not living in a country with a christian background probably will be happy to participate too, no matter the reason for a lottery
    Why would "christian players" want gifts during a pagan festival?
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][SIZE=2][Landroval/Kinless][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] Sarkaa, R4, L95 Guardian[/COLOR] | [Landroval/Concerning Hobbits] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Mathagar, L51 Warden[/COLOR]
    [Landroval/Shadowclan] [COLOR=White][COLOR=YellowGreen]Grishnaakh,[/COLOR] [COLOR=YellowGreen]R6 Reaver[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff8c00][OOC] +Jesenne: '...and my motto when I PVP is "[B]kill anything that moves[/B]."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

I would rather we stick to lore-appropriate celebrations myself. Note: I'm all for parties and celebrations IRL, just so you know I'm not a Scrooge. :P
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

Thumbs up

"I would rather we stick to lore-appropriate celebrations myself"

I totally agree....
    "Never laugh at live Dragons...."

~Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by Paragnosis View Post
    In America many children grow up hearing about Santa Claus who will bring them presents. I don't know the history of how Santa Claus came to be associated with Christmas in this country rather than the traditional Saint Nicholas day, but it is clear that Santa Claus is the Americanized Saint Nicholas. Some Christmas songs still refer to him as "Saint Nick". The little boy in me wants in on any goodies associated with Saint Nicholas or Santa Claus or whatever we call him
    You mean all those American kids who DON'T grow up hearing Clement Clarke Moore's The Night Before Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    (1) Saint Nicklaus --> sant nicklaus --> sant acklaus --> santa cklaus -- Santa Claus. The name Santa Claus is a direct rendition of Saint Nicklaus (Saint Nicolas) filtered through hundreds of years of children's voices.
    I thought it was an Anglicization of Sinterklaas.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 40 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast