We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lotro - Now more Visually Stunning

Now that the initial shock of the new system and how that plays out per each of the classes is starting to subside a bit, it seems fair to say something about how much more visually stunning this game has gotten since the Helm's Deep release. The skills are now heightened with incredible not seen before wow-effect and the transition of skills is no longer choppy it seems. The moves also appear more fast-paced because they are more fluent. For all the feedback and criticism there has been regarding the new system, I've not heard much in the way of this. What do you think?

System - Options - Combat settings - Allow Combat Animation Blending.

It has always been there.

Greetings, Polymachos

I think overall the the game may look a bit prettier, but that isn't enough to hide the fact that the Skill Tree system has been a sad disappointment. It could have been so much better, but although a couple of classes have been improved, generally I would say it needs a lot of work to repair the damage it does. A lot more thought should have been given to how restrictive it has been made and how inconsistant it is in a number of areas. For example;

Lore Master deeds require the use of the 'Inner Flame' skill for both a deed and a metadeed, yet that skill is only available in the blue line and and is gated tier 2. That means if you traited red or yellow having to spend 12 skill points to accessa skill that is required to complete class deeds, respec 30 times every day to access the skill, or sit somewhere safe and spam the skill 15 times and watch the CD timer for 25 minutes!

Burglars have Leafwalker (blue) and Footpad (red) skills to boost stealth, but no stealth boosts for yellow line.
    Burglar blue and red lines can 'buy-in' tricks from yellow line to hybridize their build, but the trick removal skill 'Mischievous Glee can't be used as it is ONLY awarded to players who traite yellow, so red and blue can get the trick removal bonuses and there fore why use tricks?

Champions do more single target damage in yellow line (AoE) than they do in red line (single target)

There are numerous examples of things that really should have been picked up in Beta but still made it to live. Presently a lot of the problems are hidden by the ridiculously overpowered DPS all classes are doing, but that has to be nerfed or Turbine will lose more players through lack of interesting gameplay (people soon get bored with just facerolling everything) and then a lot of things presently unnoticed will become glaringly obvious.

I looked forward to these skill trees like a child waiting for Christmas, but now I ripped off the pretty wrapping papare and found that all I got was socks in every present! These skill trees should have been a great improvement to the game, instead they make me long for the old system which was not so restrictive, far more intuitive and above all, versatile. I think Turbine should go look at some other MMOs again and see how skill trees should work!

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    System - Options - Combat settings - Allow Combat Animation Blending.
    It has always been there.
    I've not changed my settings. What I'm referring to, for example, are the stances that characters now take in combat (swaying side to side), and minor tweaks that seem to have been made to how skills play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wof View Post
    I think overall the the game may look a bit prettier, but that isn't enough to hide the fact that the Skill Tree system has been a sad disappointment. It could have been so much better, but although a couple of classes have been improved, generally I would say it needs a lot of work to repair the damage it does. A lot more thought should have been given to how restrictive it has been made and how inconsistant it is in a number of areas. For example...There are numerous examples of things that really should have been picked up in Beta but still made it to live..........................
    You'll get no argument from me with much of what you said regarding inconsistencies, but way to forcibly take the half filled glass out of my hands and throw it violently against a brick wall. It seems almost completely out of context save the last paragraph. But not everyone celebrates Christmas, so that sentiment will go largely unnoticed by some. And anyways, as I've gotten older I now appreciate getting socks as gifts, or any kind of gifts for that matter, and am not going to cry because somebody wanted to give me something and I didn't get more toys which I really wanted.. but maybe we've already digressed too far as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    Presently a lot of the problems are hidden by the ridiculously overpowered DPS all classes are doing, but that has to be nerfed or Turbine will lose more players through lack of interesting gameplay (people soon get bored with just facerolling everything) and then a lot of things presently unnoticed will become glaringly obvious.
    This sentiment, while perhaps shared with others, is conspiratorial, based on emotions, and goes nowhere very fast. I for one will not be going along for the ride on that one. Here. Have a lump of coal in your stocking.
    Last edited by Breeon; Dec 06 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wof View Post
    I think overall the the game may look a bit prettier, but that isn't enough to hide the fact that the Skill Tree system has been a sad disappointment.
    You forgot to specify "to me."

I'm not disappointed at all.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I totally groaned when I saw the new guard skill video-gamey effect (juggernaut is it?)

It looks like glowing aliens have landed and are orbiting the guard. Great for a sci-fi video game, horrible for immersion here. *facepalm

They have also gotten lazy with landscape design, putting invisible walls so many places without visual cues. Want to attack that MOB? Sorry, can't go between the two wide pillars, have to go way around the debris, nevermind if you are playing a burg, you MUST approach from the front despite the MOBs sitting by an open fire visible from any direction. It's so jarring compared to the original landscape areas which were "believable" and didn't rely on such crutches.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    I totally groaned when I saw the new guard skill video-gamey effect (juggernaut is it?)
    It looks like glowing aliens have landed and are orbiting the guard. Great for a sci-fi video game, horrible for immersion here. *facepalm
    They have also gotten lazy with landscape design.. It's so jarring compared to the original landscape areas which were "believable" and didn't rely on such crutches.
    Too much going on for you maybe? The auto-skill bar is more distracting than anything, but I don't mind Juggernaut. The icon for it does kind of look UFO/Captain-America-ish. But c'mon, how cool is Smashing Stab??

As for consistent realism, when has it ever existed? I suspect that some of this may be due to various artists designing and implementing different things over the course of several years now, and each bringing a unique style or flair to offer. But look at the sign-in screens and promotional offers even. Some are illustrations that have used little if any digital technology, while others are so blocky they look like 3-D rendering sketches only.

One thing I love is how the npcs are actually doing things, like laundry, talking to each other, actually gesturing to each other at the tables in the mead halls, how there are children, and so on. It actually feels like a real world. I know you mean the combat animations, but your thread title made me think of this.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    One thing I love is how the npcs are actually doing things, like laundry, talking to each other, actually gesturing to each other at the tables in the mead halls, how there are children, and so on. It actually feels like a real world. I know you mean the combat animations, but your thread title made me think of this.
    Makes me think about going through Bree-Town. I wonder how long it will be before that one NPC stops kicking his wagon wheels and actually fixes it. That entire alley headed up toward the back entrance of the Scholars Stairs is filled with daily activities going on also. I've always wondered why more role-players weren't taking advantage of these hidden gems. I'm sure you're aware of a recent post wherein (after what a year?) people are critiquing at length the makeover of Bree. I agree, all of this adds for a more engaging experience. We've come a long way since Pong or the Atari 2600 even.