We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

DPS Warden Vs DPS Guardian Vs DPS Champion

I'm trying to decide which class to make. I prefer to be a dps based class 1st, cc/ debuff/tank 2nd.

-How do these 3 classes in a dps spec (red line, yellow line) compare?
    -Is a champ just way beyond the other 2 as far as dps?
    -I like the hybrid play of the warden with ranged/ melee but does it ever get solid as a dps class?
    -Are the Guardian and warden fairly equal when spec dps, and champ way out in front?

Thank you for any information.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000e91dd/signature.png]Shaakti[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel230 View Post
    I'm trying to decide which class to make. I prefer to be a dps based class 1st, cc/ debuff/tank 2nd.

-How do these 3 classes in a dps spec (red line, yellow line) compare?
    -Is a champ just way beyond the other 2 as far as dps?
    -I like the hybrid play of the warden with ranged/ melee but does it ever get solid as a dps class?
    -Are the Guardian and warden fairly equal when spec dps, and champ way out in front?

Thank you for any information.
    If you want to dps, go champ. The champ have way better AoE than warden, and faster than guard. Solo wise, guard can pull more mobs, AoE and win by out-live their enemies, while champ pull lesser, but kill faster. But in group wise, a champ with a healer back up is an AoE machine. For single dps, warden and guard is more about DoT, which not really great for landscape questing and most of instances since the favour recently is on dps race style. Mobs usually die before you can stack all bleeds. But in 1vs1 pvp it can do fine. In raid vs raid pvp, not that much. Champ, I heard their single target dps got nerf with HD, which is reasonable since if they are good at both AoE and single, then who need the hunter anymore. But they're still a dps class, and not like guard/warden, champ is about instance damage, not DoTs.

Champs tend to be glass canons. Guards are different now. They have three dps lines. The one I use has a bunch of aoe, including a ranged one, and debuffs. No significant bleeds, that'd be a different line. Seems to come closest to your goals.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

My main is a champion but I've at least dabbled with the other classes so maybe i can offer some relevant advice.

In my experience and from everything I've heard about the recent changes Warden offers the best combination of single target dps and survivability. I'm not sure how guardian compares in its dps specs but I've heard nothing but good things so it seems their damage is quite competitive in such specs now. All that said nothing I have seen in game has matched the champion's AoE (yellow spec) dps.

As Hiritier mentioned, champion's single target (red spec) got some serious nerfs with the new trait system. The real problem isn't that we're doing less single target dps in red line, it's that yellow is doing better single target dps than red. And yellow being AoE makes it for the most part objectively superior.

As for how they all directly compare, from what I gather most of the warden and guardian heavy dps is based on bleeds which tend to be wasted on the low health landscape mobs, so while champion would likely lose out in a dps race vs single elite enemies it would still burn through landscape mobs faster than the other two.