We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What do the elves of Mirkwood call their home...

I decided to bite the bullet at make a (gasp!) elf from Mirkwood who is not a hunter (shocking, I know...). As a guardian, she has a strong sense of pride of her homeland. I have taken this to be akin to how Irish people feel about their homeland being part of the UK (learned the hard way that wishing them a happy Queen's Jubilee is NOT the way to make friends). For example, I'd never say I'm going to Dublin in the UK...wouldn't go over too well I imagine. I'm thinking that a Mirkwood elf would not call their beloved and beleaguered home Mirkwood or Taur-nu-Fuin or Taur-e-Ndaedelos; especially this last one. Any Mirkwood elf players or any other players that are lore-ific rp'ers that can give me any ideas? Thanks in advance!

It would be whatever was Silvan for 'Greenwood the Great', or possibly just 'The Greenwood'. Sadly I can't be of any more help because I don't know any Silvan, and I can't find any guide for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    It would be whatever was Silvan for 'Greenwood the Great', or possibly just 'The Greenwood'. Sadly I can't be of any more help because I don't know any Silvan, and I can't find any guide for it.
    'Eryn Galen'.

After two thousand years of ever increasing 'mirk', though, I doubt any of the Elves would still be so in denial that they would refuse to call it Taur-nu-Fuin.

Radhruin_EU makes a good point and thanks for the Eryn Galen. I haven't had much of an opportunity to rp that aspect of my character. Thanks again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHuggerSong View Post
    Radhruin_EU makes a good point and thanks for the Eryn Galen. I haven't had much of an opportunity to rp that aspect of my character. Thanks again guys!
    You might get some mileage out of the lotr.wikia.com pages on Mirkwood (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Mirkwood) and the Woodland Realm (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Woodland_Realm). Big important thing: after the war, when the dust has settled and Celeborn's host has pwned Dol Guldur, Thranduil and Celeborn decide to rename the region from "Mirkwood" to "Eryn Lasgalen":

In the North also there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory. And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, the Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region...
    Sooooo, I guess I could see you calling it "Eryn Lasgalen"--but it'd be pretty early! Right now the place is pretty messed-up. And Legolas himself seems to call it "Mirkwood," judging from a quick text search through the book; looks like Haldir does as well. I guesssss . . . I mean, OK, evidently Thranduil is a Sindar, and Legolas is therefore at least half-Sindar; I guess there's this notion of a Sindarin royalty ruling Silvan-Elves in the Woodland Realm. So I suppose your character's distaste for the name "Mirkwood" could be part of a broader distaste for the ways of the Sindar aristocracy? And your character could (prematurely) want to call the region "Eryn Lasgalen" or "Eryn Galen"? But--I dunno, man, it feels like overreaching to say that that'd be the conventional practice among Wood-Elves. I'd seriously consider just going with "Mirkwood."

What would a Sindarin translation for "Woodland Realm" be, by the way? That might be a good alternative. Of course, the Woodland Realm is a political entity rather than a geographic one; it's the part of (northern) Mirkwood ruled by Thranduil.
    Last edited by Iralith; Jun 12 2014 at 03:05 PM.
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white: Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Iralith View Post
    What would a Sindarin translation for "Woodland Realm" be, by the way? That might be a good alternative. Of course, the Woodland Realm is a political entity rather than a geographic one; it's the part of (northern) Mirkwood ruled by Thranduil.
    "Woodland Realm" might be translated simply as Tawarwaith; tawar + (g)waith, wood/forest + region/realm. The funny thing about the word (g)waith is that it can also be used to signify "people"; Tawarwaith = Silvan Elves, Forodwaith = People of the North/North region, etc.
    Tawarwaith is also used in LotRO at least in Mirkwood (crafted) gear.