We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Subscription or The Turbine store for Packs?

    I'm at a crossroad right now. I'm torn between paying for a subscription and buy the quest pack. I figure if I subscribe, I get access to all the past few Xp. Plus I already bought Mines of Moria the day it came out. So could anyone help me out with some info from the player base side. Would it be better to subscribe or would buying the packs be the better preference.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4
    Have you ever subscribed before?

    If not I think it's worth subscribing for at least a month just to get the harshest restrictions removed on your characters.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arkenstone
    Posts
    399
    Consider subscribing to get trait/swift travel/gold/AH unlocks on any character you log in during the month. A subscription does not give you access to the expansion quests, meaning Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, East and West Rohan, but does give you all non-expansion zone quests, like Wildermore, Great River, Lothlorien, Angmar, Misty Mountains, Evendim, etc.
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,133
    well, since you have to buy expansions anyway (VIP or not) from lvl50 onward, starting with moria, I think being VIP only makes sense from lvl30-48ish, when you can enter moria and play expansion content. this allows you to unlock bags 4+5, get the riding skill quest, unlock trait slots, no gold limit etc.
    The few Questpacks lvl60+ (enedwaith, great rivers) arent needed if you buy the previous expansions (mirkwood, Isengard, rohan) which are (at least were until recently) quite cheap.
    For the rest (crafting guild access, etc) i think you are getting a better deal simply buying the TP you need.
    The only reason to be VIP is to play PvP.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    My Coop
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel666 View Post
    well, since you have to buy expansions anyway (VIP or not) from lvl50 onward, starting with moria, I think being VIP only makes sense from lvl30-48ish, when you can enter moria and play expansion content. this allows you to unlock bags 4+5, get the riding skill quest, unlock trait slots, no gold limit etc.
    The few Questpacks lvl60+ (enedwaith, great rivers) arent needed if you buy the previous expansions (mirkwood, Isengard, rohan) which are (at least were until recently) quite cheap.
    For the rest (crafting guild access, etc) i think you are getting a better deal simply buying the TP you need.
    The only reason to be VIP is to play PvP.
    This is and has been my conclusion for some time. VIP only makes sense when just starting and creating new characters while lvling to 45 or so. After that you'll need expansions if you want to do more than the Epic quest line. BTW - if you buy the TP's when they're on sale/doubled and also buy the Quest Packs/Expansions on 25-30% sale - you'll end up with more for less in the long run.

    My two cents

  6. #6
    well I did subscribe for a few months when I first bought the game. I got Mines Of Moria the day it launched. Little did I know the pack was Level 50 onward. So how would I be able to get my hand on the other expansion packs in between Helms Deep. I don't see them in the store. If they are on amazon I missed them. Plus I've been wondering about the Quad Pack, is that for free players or is that an aim towards the free players. Thanks in advance.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Agmodash View Post
    well I did subscribe for a few months when I first bought the game. I got Mines Of Moria the day it launched. Little did I know the pack was Level 50 onward. So how would I be able to get my hand on the other expansion packs in between Helms Deep. I don't see them in the store. If they are on amazon I missed them. Plus I've been wondering about the Quad Pack, is that for free players or is that an aim towards the free players. Thanks in advance.
    The quad pack includes all 4 of the expansions prior to Helm's Deep. If you want to play that content you will need to purchase them whether you're VIP or FTP.
    [URL=http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/kidnova78/media/sig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/kidnova78/sig.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arkenstone
    Posts
    399
    Through the In Game Store, I believe it's Account > Expansions. That's how I got HD, Moria, and Mirkwood.
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Agmodash View Post
    well I did subscribe for a few months when I first bought the game. I got Mines Of Moria the day it launched. Little did I know the pack was Level 50 onward. So how would I be able to get my hand on the other expansion packs in between Helms Deep. I don't see them in the store. If they are on amazon I missed them. Plus I've been wondering about the Quad Pack, is that for free players or is that an aim towards the free players. Thanks in advance.
    Oh so the Quad pack you have to buy weather you're free to play or a subscriber. It's Kind of confusing, because I thought someone told me the packs were for free to play player base. So I guess even if you buy the expansion pack you will still have to buy the Quest packs in order to play the expansion packs you just bought. Makes sense in some aspect sense they give you a couple 1000 in Turbine points

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Agmodash View Post
    Oh so the Quad pack you have to buy weather you're free to play or a subscriber. It's Kind of confusing, because I thought someone told me the packs were for free to play player base. So I guess even if you buy the expansion pack you will still have to buy the Quest packs in order to play the expansion packs you just bought. Makes sense in some aspect sense they give you a couple 1000 in Turbine points
    If you are VIP you will have access to all the non-expansion questpacks. Being VIP will not give access to the expansion questpacks.
    Buying an expansion will give you access to the questpack associated with that expansion. For some of the expansions (MoM, RoI, RoR) you can choose to buy just the questpack or the full expansion. In those cases the full expansion will include some extra stuff in addition to the questpack.

    Having access to a questpack essentially means that you can do the quests and deeds associated with that region.

    Currently the expansions are:
    Mines of Moria
    Siege of Mirkwood
    Rise of Isengard
    Riders of Rohan
    Helm's Deep


    The non-expansion questpacks are:
    Ered Luin
    The Shire
    Bree-land
    Lone Lands
    North Downs
    Evendim
    Forochel
    Angmar
    Eregion
    Trollshaws
    Misty Mountains
    Lothlorien
    Enedwaith
    Great River
    Wildermore

    Of these Ered Luin, The Shire, Bree-land, and Lone Lands are free to everybody. To access the rest of them you need to be VIP or buy the questpack.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    This is and has been my conclusion for some time. VIP only makes sense when just starting and creating new characters while lvling to 45 or so. After that you'll need expansions if you want to do more than the Epic quest line. BTW - if you buy the TP's when they're on sale/doubled and also buy the Quest Packs/Expansions on 25-30% sale - you'll end up with more for less in the long run.

    My two cents
    It also makes sense if you run a lot of alts and want alternative ways to level them up.

    I have bought content in various special packages, as a backstop should I decide to drop subscription at some point-I don't think long term we get all that much for it. However, I let it lapse as an experiment this year, and decided it was worth the annual subscription of $99 to have more freedom to do different stuff in game.

    Won't make sense for everyone, but it did for me.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    If you are VIP you will have access to all the non-expansion questpacks. Being VIP will not give access to the expansion questpacks.
    Buying an expansion will give you access to the questpack associated with that expansion. For some of the expansions (MoM, RoI, RoR) you can choose to buy just the questpack or the full expansion. In those cases the full expansion will include some extra stuff in addition to the questpack.

    Having access to a questpack essentially means that you can do the quests and deeds associated with that region.

    Currently the expansions are:
    Mines of Moria
    Siege of Mirkwood
    Rise of Isengard
    Riders of Rohan
    Helm's Deep


    The non-expansion questpacks are:
    Ered Luin
    The Shire
    Bree-land
    Lone Lands
    North Downs
    Evendim
    Forochel
    Angmar
    Eregion
    Trollshaws
    Misty Mountains
    Lothlorien
    Enedwaith
    Great River
    Wildermore

    Of these Ered Luin, The Shire, Bree-land, and Lone Lands are free to everybody. To access the rest of them you need to be VIP or buy the questpack.
    So if you buy the quad packs(Quad Expansion packs) you don't need to buy quest packs from the turbine store to use the quad expansion packs? The quest packs just involve areas from the original Shadow of Angmar launch title. Like the North Downs. Then what about those who play free to play and buy the Quad packs. What content do or don't they have access to, that those who buy the Quad pack and are VIP have access to. Sorry is the last sentence is confusing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Agmodash View Post
    So if you buy the quad packs(Quad Expansion packs) you don't need to buy quest packs from the turbine store to use the quad expansion packs? The quest packs just involve areas from the original Shadow of Angmar launch title. Like the North Downs. Then what about those who play free to play and buy the Quad packs. What content do or don't they have access to, that those who buy the Quad pack and are VIP have access to. Sorry is the last sentence is confusing.
    Some Expansions are available as a whole set of Quest pack and Instances (or in case of moria with warden and runekeeper class), which you also can buy separately.
    These have been introduced with the store, before that you had to buy the whole expansion or nothing at all.

    So in the case of someone being F2p/premium and buying the Expansions, this player wouldnt be able to play the ones listed as non-expansion Questpacks (see one of the above posts), with the exception of the four low-level areas.
    Being VIP, you still would have to buy the expansions (or the cheaper expansion-questpacks, thus lacking the instances etc. and other content of the whole expansion), but you would have the non-expansion QPs available as long as the sub lasts.
    The usual cycle seems to be one expansion (with several zones) followed by a major update adding one new zone.
    No matter if VIP or not, you would have to buy the expansion. Being VIP would give you straight access to the following new zone, while a f2p/premium player would have to buy that new area (edit: or are on a tight budget).

    So, starting from lvl50+, considering there are less regular Quest packs than expansion content, that basically means you have to buy the expansions to keep on leveling nicely. that also means that the regular quest packs (which usually exist at a similar level range as the neighboring expansion, unless downgraded later, like enedwaith and great rivers) can be considered skippable in the grand scheme of things. Of course, they are nice to have for story reasons, but not when you like to reach level cap and do endgame content.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Agmodash View Post
    So if you buy the quad packs(Quad Expansion packs) you don't need to buy quest packs from the turbine store to use the quad expansion packs? The quest packs just involve areas from the original Shadow of Angmar launch title. Like the North Downs. Then what about those who play free to play and buy the Quad packs. What content do or don't they have access to, that those who buy the Quad pack and are VIP have access to. Sorry is the last sentence is confusing.
    If you buy the Quad-pack you will get the Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, and Riders of Rohan expansions. Each expansion include the corresponding questpack, so if you have, say, the Mines of Moria expansion then you will have full access to Moria without having to buy anything else. You can buy the expansions through the in-game store if you wish, but that is just a different way of purchasing them, not different content.

    The non-expansion questpacks include the original SoA areas, but also some newer areas like Lothlorien and Enedwaith.

    If you are Free-to-play and buy the Quadpack (at which point you will actually be Premium rather than F2P, but for this discussion there is no difference) you will have access to the areas corresponding to each expansion, and to the free questpacks (Bree, Ered Luin, Shire, Lone Lands) and nothing else. (I.e. you won't have access to places like North Downs or Angmar unless you buy those questpacks)

    If you are VIP you will have full access to all the non-expansion questpacks. If you buy the Quadpack you will also get access to those expansion areas. If you additionally buy the Helm's Deep expansion (which is not included in the Quadpack) you will full access to all the current game content.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    If you buy the Quad-pack you will get the Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, and Riders of Rohan expansions. Each expansion include the corresponding questpack, so if you have, say, the Mines of Moria expansion then you will have full access to Moria without having to buy anything else. You can buy the expansions through the in-game store if you wish, but that is just a different way of purchasing them, not different content.

    The non-expansion questpacks include the original SoA areas, but also some newer areas like Lothlorien and Enedwaith.

    If you are Free-to-play and buy the Quadpack (at which point you will actually be Premium rather than F2P, but for this discussion there is no difference) you will have access to the areas corresponding to each expansion, and to the free questpacks (Bree, Ered Luin, Shire, Lone Lands) and nothing else. (I.e. you won't have access to places like North Downs or Angmar unless you buy those questpacks)

    If you are VIP you will have full access to all the non-expansion questpacks. If you buy the Quadpack you will also get access to those expansion areas. If you additionally buy the Helm's Deep expansion (which is not included in the Quadpack) you will full access to all the current game content.
    I may have gotten the wron idea, but from the last line it seems like you just said if I buy the Helms Deep Expansion. I would get access to the other expansion pack too. So just skip over the quad pack and buy the Helms Deep pack instead is the jist of what i'm getting from the last sentence?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Agmodash View Post
    I may have gotten the wron idea, but from the last line it seems like you just said if I buy the Helms Deep Expansion. I would get access to the other expansion pack too. So just skip over the quad pack and buy the Helms Deep pack instead is the jist of what i'm getting from the last sentence?
    You skipped reading the important word "additionally".
    So quad pack plus HD plus VIP should give you all current content.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload