We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,320

    I would like some way to see trait points

    When fellowing since HD, and after Virtues were put in store, I no longer have a way to get an idea if someone has played their class extensively. It might seem elitist and it could be argued that no current content requires super knowledge of the game or class... Still, being able to go Non Anon and displaying rank for roles in bb and how many points you popped into trait trees should be an option.

    Is there a way around this that gives some sort of measure of /played time?

  2. #2
    Nope. All you can do is ask. Hope the person provides good information.

    I recommend you add to or make new suggestion for extensions to the inspect feature.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    472
    I've made a suggestion thread about this: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...nspect-Feature
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    When fellowing since HD, and after Virtues were put in store, I no longer have a way to get an idea if someone has played their class extensively. It might seem elitist and it could be argued that no current content requires super knowledge of the game or class... Still, being able to go Non Anon and displaying rank for roles in bb and how many points you popped into trait trees should be an option.

    Is there a way around this that gives some sort of measure of /played time?
    I'm ok with this sort of facility as long as it will auto-ignore anyone who uses it on me - we wouldn't be compatible in a group.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,693
    I would have to voice support for this. I would like to be able to "inspect" someone and see what "build" they are running. There are quite a few times when (say) I will group with another Lore-master. Usually when I run with another person of the same class, I try to run something that is complimentary to what they are using... and not having too much redundancy.

    I would also like to be able to see what role/rank people are when engaging in the Big Battles. Again, it is more for the purpose of knowing what people are using so that I am not trying to do their job... or I can adjust myself to help them do their job better.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by trcanberra View Post
    I'm ok with this sort of facility as long as it will auto-ignore anyone who uses it on me - we wouldn't be compatible in a group.
    this ^^

    just because someone is new and may have missed a few lower lvl deeds or class deeds does not mean they do not know how to play their toon. especially if they are at or near cap. and even if they need some pointers i'd much rather help them out and help them learn how to group properly than lift my nose and not want to group with them.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    I would have to voice support for this. I would like to be able to "inspect" someone and see what "build" they are running. There are quite a few times when (say) I will group with another Lore-master. Usually when I run with another person of the same class, I try to run something that is complimentary to what they are using... and not having too much redundancy.

    I would also like to be able to see what role/rank people are when engaging in the Big Battles. Again, it is more for the purpose of knowing what people are using so that I am not trying to do their job... or I can adjust myself to help them do their job better.
    In this case, couldn't you explain your intent and, you know... ask them? Wouldn't communicating with (potential) fellows be better than just inspecting them?

    As for the idea in general, I'm sort of on the fence. I rarely inspect people and the rare times I do it's usually just out of curiosity about some cosmetic (and yes - I realize the irony of me saying that considering my above statement... I should probably put my money where my mouth is.)

    I'm not really wild about the thought of people inspecting my build - seems like that tends to lead to a lot of "you put points in that?" and "you should really do this instead..." situations.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,320
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    In this case, couldn't you explain your intent and, you know... ask them? Wouldn't communicating with (potential) fellows be better than just inspecting them?

    As for the idea in general, I'm sort of on the fence. I rarely inspect people and the rare times I do it's usually just out of curiosity about some cosmetic (and yes - I realize the irony of me saying that considering my above statement... I should probably put my money where my mouth is.)

    I'm not really wild about the thought of people inspecting my build - seems like that tends to lead to a lot of "you put points in that?" and "you should really do this instead..." situations.
    It's more a thing to know if a level 95 has 65 points or 50. The Big Battles is same, I ask if someone has engineering at least a couple of ranks so we can duo without me carrying us both...turned out he had assigned points into engineering once. I have no way to see that. If I could be anon off for that stuff just as with my Virtues, it would be super neat.

    It's not about them missing some deeds, it's about if they even played their class and has finished even one class deed or just rushed past the game.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    396
    I am 100% against this type of thing and am glad that currently you can't do what you are requesting. It leads to everyone using the exact same builds...boring imo.
    [img]http://www.piviksnetwork.com/images/sig-lotro.jpg[/img]
    I never hurt no Creeps.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivik View Post
    I am 100% against this type of thing and am glad that currently you can't do what you are requesting. It leads to everyone using the exact same builds...boring imo.
    It doesn't, really, if you can't see what specific traits the points are spent into. And anyway, once more time has passed there are gonna be supposed "optimal" builds posted in multiple places whether this sort of thing is implemented or not.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    this ^^

    just because someone is new and may have missed a few lower lvl deeds or class deeds does not mean they do not know how to play their toon. especially if they are at or near cap. and even if they need some pointers i'd much rather help them out and help them learn how to group properly than lift my nose and not want to group with them.
    Cheers - exactly what I had in mind.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,320
    I would argue that someone who took time to play their class is 100% more likely to know their class.

    Ever done sth challenge with someone who failed to recognize corruption removal on their skills? Who had never even read what their skills do? Despite playing the game at cap?
    Running big battles with someone who as in my case when asked says they have eleventy points distributed when they have 7 and you end up carrying them through the content like some power-leveling session?
    Someone who pulls randomly because they don't know how to play ranged at all, despite being at cap?
    An LM who rushed through and only knows how to DPS and when faced with a request for CC just logs out?

    My personal fav:
    A gamer with deco gear slotted as equipment, at 85. In a raid. He played an LM. He also had only the basic two open virtue slots. Turns out he had planted crops to level 79. Anything is possible. If they have anon on, they can just keep getting carried through the content without ever stopping to learn. Currently, if they have anon off they can still look OK without the slightest basic knowledge of their class or the basic game mechanics. To quote that particular guy: "But I need wyrmfires for ring!" (I think that was it anyway). I took the time to sit ten minutes explaining what was needed before being able to barter for that upgraded jewellery and he still didn't understand. No idea what he needed to do, why it was bad form to hang around pressing one key on an LM when the content needed an LM, no basic understanding of the game at all.

    I've never met anyone with virtues ranging 3-5 at cap who knew how to play their class, after store made virtue ranks available this is no longer a measure of time in the game. I'm happy to play the game with random groups but there should be some manner to see if they have played at all, other than asking.

    Helping with info is super, always ready to do so. Helping through content is super, always ready to help someone who is willing to learn. Carrying some non-gamer who wants end game gear without effort and without knowing their class at all at 95 is not my cup of tea, never will be. Some of these people didn't even do the basic class quests from trainer. They never hunted for pages. I even met people in HD who owns HD who still failed to do the very easy area completion trait points.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload