We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought.

Just a thought.

HAS LOTRO COMMITED SUICIDE?
    ========================

Helms Deep in Lotro - A Massive Online Mistake?
    ============================== ======

A blog about the God Mode IN lotro for everyone and .... How Turbine managed to SHATTER the gameplay completely!!

Last week I have experienced the gameplay on Helms Deep, in order to make new maps and new blogs about all the exciting new areas of West Rohan. Exciting? Mmmmmm..... Although the lands are beautiful and the musical scene around Edoras is great, there is definitely something wrong with the gameplay. Since they have changed all skills and trait using, the game hasn't become exciting as it was. It's even dull now, boring, painfully boring for players who have joined the game since fall 2007 (like me).

Why do I come to this harsh conclusion?. Well, let me summon some of my major complaints:

Class Trainer: (aka They have killed the Trainers!)
    ============================== ===
    Is obsolete now, why do you need a trainer these days? You get your skills by clicking in a totally non personal SKILL-tree. Although this concept isn't new at all (see Conan Online), it has one major drawback: you loose the connection with your personal trainer. Which was great for roleplaying or the flavour of this kind of game. Lotro is known because of there friendly fellowships, talkies and nice players. Now, its solo based, you don't even have to talk to you trainer anymore for new skills, you don't need anyone more. Howe rude!

Bard and Trait-slotting: (aka They have killed the Bards!)
    ============================== ======
    The Bard is obsolete now. You only need him for buying some lousy instruments. And even that is not interesting, the best instruments you will find on the auction hall ... or buy them from other players.
    And you don't need the bard for traits anymore. Which is a shame. I miss the flavor of visiting a bard to manage my traits. Moreover, traits can be slotted and changed within seconds now, free of any costs and at every moment and at every place in the game. For example, as an elf, you haven't to bother anymore about choosing the invisible trait (Sylvan shadows) or slotting the 'Travel to Rivendell' trait. Just rotate them when you need them. Convenient Yes! But challenging? Absolutely not!!! You haven't to make a difficult decision anymore. Its just child's play now .... Like a God ...

Looking for book pages, for special skills: (aka: They have burned the most wanted Books!)
    ============================== ============================
    They are silly quests now, only for turbine point grinders. You personal trainer still sells books. You have to find pages of them in certain regions, and in the old time you needed them for some special skills (spells). Which was good. But now, all the skills are easily bought with skill points, like a spoiled child you get the best skills early in the game. You haven't to work for this anymore, only if you need TP points. Why? I don't know. It look's like a Give a child the most wanted Toy during Christmastime for free.

Godmode and DPS (aka LOTRO is renamed in GODO)
    ============================== ====
    Whit the new skill system, I guess that most players will slot their dps skills early in the game. Which means that MOST classes will become dps classes now. Why do we have classes anymore? We can skip them now! Just choose a GOD character, like a Loremaster, Captain or Champion!

Godmode and the Loremaster's combat pets (aka Loremasters rule the game!)
    ============================== ====================
    The Loremaster is a true god/goddess when slotted the skills for his/her pets. The pets does massive damage and whit an insane skill you can send ALL your combat pets into combat. Their is even a skill to increase your level of your combat pet. This is really a programmers error. Now you cam combat, as a loremaster, purple colored mobs of 8 levels higher then yourself, since your pet is levels higher than the master. And, since the pets does massive damage, like the lynx, an enemy is killed in some seconds. We tried this out in the Limlight Gorge in the Great River area. There is a huge spider near the mountainridge, of appr. 170.000 morale. You can solo this spider easily now, even if the spider is PURPLE! How? Just tank it with your pet, which is 4 levels higher than you. When the pet dies, don't stay to close. Since you can now INSTANTLY resummon your pet when he is dead, its back within a second. So, the pet is virtually immortal now. Just watch your distance, and if the monster comes too close, watch out. Your loremaster pet is now a god!

God Mode and Fellowship quests (aka: Sauron shattered the fellowship quests)
    ============================== ====================
    For the epic book quests you needed a fellowship in the past. Not anymore! Classes with a pet (loremaster) or an herald(Captain) can do the work solo with their assists now, even 200.000 Morale bosses. So, captains and loremasters don't need a fellowship anymore. A good guardian or champion can solo a boss of 200.000 Morale. They don't need fellowship anymore either ... And think: the whole game was bases on fellowship play.

God Mode and Loremaster Ring of fire (aka Loremasters rule the game!)
    ============================== ================
    Well, if your pet isnt OP enough, just add a ring of fire.... A little public secret is the skill Ring of Fire of the Loremaster. Just use it when 3-5 mobs are around you. Each person and each mob damage the other with this skill. So, a loremaster (1 person), with 5 enemies, does 6x damage on each enemy. Wow, you are a God now!

Riddling Icons
    ==========
    A riddle: can you find the differences between the icons of crafting stuff in west and east rohan?
    A bonus Triviant Question: are their double skills now or are their double icons for skills now?

FINAL CONCLUSION (aka SAURON has TAKEN OVER FINALLY)
    ============================== =========
    Lotro is Godmode for the veteran and hardcore players now. All challenging options are obsolete. Good players don't need fellowships anymore, they can do every epic quest solo. So, the developers shattered the core of the game. For me, Lotro is a dull game, without any challenges anymore. Only monster-free peoples combat is fun now, all the rest is a dull repetition of monster and quest grinding. The most challenging quests are now the search for cakes, cookies and apples or looking for lost children in West Rohan. Combat is tedious. Even worse: loremasters and captain can do their leveling while sleeping. The developers are just lucky I guess. If they did release this 'most worse expansion ever' together with Elder Scrolls online, the game would be dead in 4 weeks.

I stopped levelling today, waiting in anticipation for a major tweak. I HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME SINCE SEPTEMBER 2007 and i have a lifetime subscription too. Always loved it and I even keep an extensive blog about this game (http://elannah.blogspot.nl). But now, I will quit playing for some time. I even have no problems when they changed all the skills back to the system before Helms Deep. Please, please, come back with all the challenging old-time quests, with all the old-time very dangerous mobs, with all the old-time very dangerous epic bosses and also the old-time very nice and most wanted fellowship quests. At the moment, the gameplay is extremely boring for experienced players ... and only interesting for players who wanted to be a god and do all the quests complete solo. So please, please, take away this christmas holiday dps-gift for the now spoiled casual players of Lotro. IMMEDIATELY!

Developers do your work. Change this beautiful game back to a more challenging game it was. Restore the trainer and bard, restore the fellowship quests. And please nerf the Godmode damage skills!
    Last edited by Elannah; Dec 29 2013 at 07:28 PM.

You do realize that these topics have been pretty well beaten to death here right? I am quite sure the devs are well aware of the issue.

Now to question is, will we see balance passes included in the next few patches? ( and the required nerf complaint along with them).

I really think 'suicide' is a bit of hyperbole. Will the PvE balance issues cause long term harm if not corrected? Yeah, I think so.. but then I am not privy to the games metrics.

We are but riders on the bus. We will have to see where it takes us.
    [COLOR="#00FFFF"]Being a lifer is like living in a famous California Hotel [/COLOR]

Imagine when Rosa Parks was just a rider in the bus..... If you don't take action, nothing will change....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Hi I'm Stan, I am a pessimistic, hyper critical, doom saying, cynical, jaded, argumentative old curmudgeon. I come to the LOTRO forums because reading it makes me feel like a really nice guy

Well is true that ALL classes or skills are a little OP, but instead of asking for nerfs i would like to them to make the content a little harder, so no one solo what u shouldnt be soloing.

thats it

i like the new system, the new skills etc., bard and trainers issues sound complete irrelevant to me, they can make you go to your trainer to train stuff again if they want, it doesnt bother me, same with the bard.

i dont really see any super op char, but as i said i think is better to make the content a little harder.

and btw ring of fire is just another aoe skill like cracked earth, lighting storm etc. with a shorter CD.

in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ad[/COLOR] [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]astra[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]per alia[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]porci[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    Hi I'm Stan, I am a pessimistic, hyper critical, doom saying, cynical, jaded, argumentative old curmudgeon. I come to the LOTRO forums because reading it makes me feel like a really nice guy
    You must be Eric, not Stan.

Oh, what a joy to visit a gaming forum, & see *this* kind of thing, constantly, with uniform negativity. And I used to think the LOTRO forum was 'slightly' better than most of them...

Edit - Make content a little harder, leave classes alone, & I would ask them to consider re-doing how they set up the trees for the EBs. It's annoying not to be able to earn them normally. (I'm not a large group person, ever again.) Just give us a cap to earn & distribute. Other than that, I love mounted combat.

While I'm asking for things, I just restarted my guardian, who is great in all ways, except... mounted. And I would be happier if she just had a bit more range on her attacks.

I like the new set up, I like this expansion far better than Wildermore (which didn't seem much like LOTR to me & no one should have to ride in the Balewood) - and it's nice to see the Fellowship again.

Does anyone really miss trainers and bards?

I love being able to switch from a healing mini to a dps mini in a click of a button and w/o paying 500s. It makes getting groups going that much easier because no one has to spend time going to a bard and retraiting.

It's been happening for a couple years now. Someone decided that this game needs dumbed down a lot. I don't understand it but maybe it's making them more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Elannah View Post

Imagine when Rosa Parks was just a rider in the bus..... If you don't take action, nothing will change....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks
    Yup. Because, as we all know, requesting changes in a video game is the same thing as the struggle for civil rights.

I can only imagine where your bus is heading. . . .

I know who Rosa Parks was. But thanks for the link. If you're really into Wikipedia, try this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
    Mandelbaum, 105 Champ; PeabodySherman, 100 LM, House of Mooters, Landroval
    Rembandor, 85 Champ, Penquanta Periannath, Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by bigsix66 View Post
    If you're really into Wikipedia, try this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
    Thanks. Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect, it reads. And that's exactly the function of this blog.

Have fun while playing the game, since the LOTRO world is - as a virtual world to travel - one of the best there is!

Sounds like someone got owned in PvMP by a LM
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

@ Melunielsigh

LMAO!
    "Never laugh at live Dragons...."

~Bilbo Baggins

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    .... All I have to say:

Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Just because you're not use to the update does not mean it's 'boring' or 'dull', if you were playing the game to simply get legendary skill pages or to switch traits at a bard then THAT must have been dull, the new setup allows people to solo a bit more meaning that you can explore loads more content in middle-earth.

I personally ADORE this new update they made,
    My warden before: Advanced class, Why? you can't button mash...but you COULD gambit mash
    My warden now: Advanced class, Why? make one mistake and you're dead, make no mistakes and you're a legend!

This update worked turbine out of a corner they put them self into! give this update a a chance, criticizing this has been done is many other posts, So this is considered spam, Turbine gets the idea that some of their plays don't like it so no point in driving it in more.

I agree with OP

Quote Originally Posted by ReadStar View Post
    Just because you're not use to the update does not mean it's 'boring' or 'dull', if you were playing the game to simply get legendary skill pages or to switch traits at a bard then THAT must have been dull, the new setup allows people to solo a bit more meaning that you can explore loads more content in middle-earth.

I personally ADORE this new update they made,
    My warden before: Advanced class, Why? you can't button mash...but you COULD gambit mash
    My warden now: Advanced class, Why? make one mistake and you're dead, make no mistakes and you're a legend!

This update worked turbine out of a corner they put them self into! give this update a a chance, criticizing this has been done is many other posts, So this is considered spam, Turbine gets the idea that some of their plays don't like it so no point in driving it in more.
    you Adore it? can I have some of your special pipeweed?

This expansion is out of the frying pan and into the fire. With no eagles to help, then again you don't need eagles when napping through an epic blund...er um battle.
    It isn't all bad but I found the minstrel so unpalatable now that I don't play mine very much, its been my main since launch. Now I just level woodworker stuff Thanks to the powers that be for making my class what it is today.

Some of the OPS points though.... meh the class trainer was annoying to find at times. I won't shed a tear if the trainers and the bards don't come back. I also don't mind the removal of the page grind that much. The siege weapons are fun to play around with, at least so far. The scenery is gorgeous as always.... The hunter is a lot more fun for me to play now but like all the classes seems too simple.

There is however plenty I dislike about the game now, from sinks in the trait trees, no need for strategy or thinking in a fight, a big bumble er um battle for grinding, and pvmp is totally worthless atm...a lot of slow, pretty uninteresting instances in the epic line.... you spend half an hour cheering up eowyn and fight mobs for like two minutes- like waiting in line for a ride at disneyland thats kinda "meh". With RoR we got some great music. With this we get recycled old stuff.

Essentially there's a ton of bad points and a few good ones about the xpac.
    A cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about- The Master

Quote Originally Posted by tkroll View Post

Essentially there's a ton of bad points and a few good ones about the xpac.
    Thx for this observation. About the bard and trainer: yes its annoying for normal gameplay, but taken from a point of view of the roleplaying characters, its a miss. Equipping and changing traits within seconds, hmmmm. Still liked the drawback of have choosen 5 traits, but don't know if its good or bad. Now you can tweak it every second.

Anyway, I don't like grinding, but I miss the gameplay-feeling that you can have the best skills later in the game and you have to earn them. No they are quick and easy, no challenge at all. Like the good old 'turnip'-pet of the loremaster (bog-guardian). Why so early?
    And reading some stuff above, I wonder if players reading their combat damage reports. Just try - as a LM - Ring of fire at 5 attacking mobs, and do the same with cracked earth. Conclusion: not just 'another' aoe spell...
    And try to read the combat statistics of the lynx attacking a purple 200.000 Morale mob .... Sorry, making mobs stronger will not work, it just takes some minutes more to bring it down...

Quote Originally Posted by PypeRings View Post
    You do realize that these topics have been pretty well beaten to death here right? I am quite sure the devs are well aware of the issue.
    Now to question is, will we see balance passes included in the next few patches? ( and the required nerf complaint along with them).
    I'm not sure the devs are aware.
    U10 already nerfed everything and now it is x times more nerfed !
    For example,
    With my Champ in Yellow, I'm pulling/killing all mobs of Library instance at same time in a few seconds (insane AoE DPS)
    With my Hunter in Red, just new 95 (still a 85 LI and a 90 earring), I make some 40 K hits on 3-man instances mobs.
    etc... same thing for all classes
    (and yesterday, just to test, we did the skraid (12-man) Battle in the Tower in duo Champion/Ministrel (not well geared, purple items, 85 LI) with an incredible easiness (this skraid was doable in duo before HD, but a lot more difficult at final fight against Mazog, even with top gear)

Totally absurd.
    Last edited by Castorix; Dec 06 2013 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilhsul View Post
    I agree with OP

Yeah!

Thx for this observation. About the bard and trainer: yes its annoying for normal gameplay, but taken from a point of view of the roleplaying characters, its a miss. Equipping and changing traits within seconds, hmmmm. Still liked the drawback of have choosen 5 traits, but don't know if its good or bad. Now you can tweak it every second.
    Regarding role-playing and not needing to go to a trainer to train skills, if it really truly bothers one of them, nothing is stopping them from going to a trainer and "pretending" to learn a new skill from them or going to a bard and "pretending" to switch out their traits and only altering their skill tree panel when near those NPC's. They do have a fairly good imagination I presume. Actually if you stop to think about, although it does make sense to learn a new skill or combat move from a trainer, who goes to their local street musician to change their skill-set from lawyer to electrical engineer? You don't stop having the skills of one job just because you're doing the other, so with the elimination of the necessity of traveling to the bard to switch skill sets, it is actually more realistic.

Just a Thought

Just a Thought

SNIP.SNIP.SNIP..

Just a thought:

As far as how "op" our classes are, I think the easiest fix would be to just boost all the mobs by a percentage. Running through a nerfing everything to death will just end up breaking certain trees for classes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast