We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Epic story in West Rohan - Did I miss it? SPOILER alert

Hi people.

In the Book 12, Éowyn send us north from Edoras, to find the accomplice of Gríma, that was sabotaging the evacuation effort. So I did.

Having now finished book 13, I can't recall catching him, and I think he wasn't ever mentioned after finished the Stoke quests.

Am I confused, or was he never catched?
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

Portucale Electus, Evernight

Spoiler... Maybe.

I was under the impression that the man who poisoned the Thane of Stoke, who became acting Thane and tried murdering her children, was the saboteur you were seeking. Sorry it's late and I can't recall their names atm.

Considering some of the Stoke quests seem bugged you may have missed it, some of them require you to come back after getting further in the Epic line. I have quests given by the Thane of Stoke which cannot be completed now, because she is dead....even though she's still sitting in her chair
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000203ab0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Can't recall exactly, but there is the quest in the Stonedeans/Westfold that sends you to track down Grima's body guards. You take out 6, then have a confrontation with Grima.

BUT to get the follow up quest, you need to head to that massive orc camp ringed by all those sentries to get an auto quest that tasks you with finding grima within that camp.

The story involved with this finding of Grima has some bearing on the following storyline which involves a nearby ore mine and this auto quest is easily missed but will provide a link to what happens at this said mine. I have tried my best to avoid spoilers.

Cheers

Hi there.

Thank you for your answers. Don't be afraid of spoilers, I have finished basically all quests in West Rohan, including the Epics, Broadacres, Stonedeans and Westfold storylines. Only 2 quests I have not yet completed (excluding the raid one to kill 3 arch-nemesis): one in Stoke, where I'm supposed to put the fires, but somehow it's bugged and I couldn't manage to complete it, and the one after killing Gríma Bodyguards, 'cause I didn't know it existed. But now I can complete it, thanks.

EDIT: just completed it. Since I already completed the Stonedeans quest line, there is no continuation... And I still don't know if the saboteur was the corrupt Thane in the Broadacres or not =/
    Last edited by Aftaminas; Dec 03 2013 at 02:26 PM.
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

Various spoilers - be warned:

I was confused about that, too. The blond guy who poses as the guard - we don't actually find him, right? I got distracted by the <spoiler> evil yet cheerful thane, & by my own complete blindness while hand delivering obvious <<<spoiler>>>> poison. (I wanted to add a line from MST3K's Cave Dwellers: Drink it all! Sometimes the poison sits at the bottom!")

I'm also getting a strange bug where NPCs will suddenly start saying stuff like, "Drink, Drink Drink for the Inn League!" So I'm never quite sure if I'm seeing something that's meant to be there. (I got something weird like that in the middle of the Stoke finale... very, very strange.)

I should add - I've finished everything on my RK, & I was still confused about that guy. (the one with the necklace, who I think I'm tracking.) I'm trying to pay more attention on my champion & burglar.

I also saw those Inn League shouts

Quote Originally Posted by Aftaminas View Post
    I'm glad to hear that! I was *almost* afraid it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyllon View Post
    I'm glad to hear that! I was *almost* afraid it was just me.
    for me, the thane of stoke was saying things like "greetings, doom of eaworth" and "you've doomed us all!"
    isn't she supposed to be friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by ParrotGuy View Post
    for me, the thane of stoke was saying things like "greetings, doom of eaworth" and "you've doomed us all!"
    isn't she supposed to be friendly?

She'd just gotten back from a vacation at the Forsaken Inn, and it'd rubbed off on her a bit is all.
    I had
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001a6174/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    as a sig before it was popular

I was getting remarks like "Thank you! I would never have had the courage to speak to my sweetheart if it weren't for you!" from Frithild and possibly others during the epic story. Very odd stuff going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynore View Post
    I was getting remarks like "Thank you! I would never have had the courage to speak to my sweetheart if it weren't for you!" from Frithild and possibly others during the epic story. Very odd stuff going on there.

Yes! I got that one, too! It was somewhat distracting, because I was thinking, "What sweetheart? Who? God, what did I do???"

I finished that up in Stoke and it felt very odd. First, the phasing was just awful, even after book 12.8 was long done. NPCs that should be dead were still standing around. At one time things were confusing with the thane not giving me a quest, but it seemed like there were actually two of her sitting in the chair and maybe I was clicking the wrong one...

But then the story just seemed to up and end. I got the trait point, but it seemed like there was one more "please talk to so-and-so" quest objective but there was no one left to talk to. I was expecting some sort of thank you.

Overall I liked the quest sequence though. I just knew the one guy was the traitor but everyone else seemed oblivious.

Stonedeans though was even more confusing. For people going there, you are supposed to first do the normal landscape vector quest so that you travel there from Broadacres first, and talk to some NPCs just over the border, then do their quest chain for a little bit until you're in the next town and have met the thane. Only then go and do the epic quest 12.8 and talk to Horn. Otherwise the story line is jumbled and you get some spoilers. Someone doing epic quests while skipping landscape quests will similarly find it confusing.

It's unclear to me why 12.8 in Stonedeans has to be completed before the final Stoke quests though, they seem completely unrelated.

That whole quest line was so confusing and convoluted I basically stopped reading (mostly because I didn't get a rat's behind about more whining, incompetent people) a vast majority of the text and just went and killed whatever or talked to whoever I was ordered to. The whole Stoke/Broadacres thing was just painful.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

I generally liked following the quests, but I did feel at times that the Rohirrim were painfully incompetent. The lady too afraid to pick lilies because of 'Giant Frogs.' (they were regular frogs) It starts, for me, with their dread fear of 'salamanders back in Langhold,' & goes on from there. Yes, they're fire-breathing salamanders... but it's still painful somehow. (this ties in to the later hytbold fishing quest - Terror!!! It was an ordinary avanc... I was so disappointed, but, at this point, not surprised.) I liked the various thane stories interweaving, though if you get out of sequence, it can be very confusing. I like having a set ending for each area, an instance. That part is great. I just wish they were a bit more sensible.

And in Helm's Deep. On the wall... when you get the special event that requires you to tell 3 archers to shoot... you tell them once. They shoot - once. Then stop, & wonder what to do next. I cannot be the only one who thought of The Holy Grail there. "I said SHOOT! Until they're dead. Got that?" "Yes, Ma'am. pause... What now?"

And in Helm's Deep. On the wall... when you get the special event that requires you to tell 3 archers to shoot... you tell them once. They shoot - once. Then stop, & wonder what to do next. I cannot be the only one who thought of The Holy Grail there. "I said SHOOT! Until they're dead. Got that?" "Yes, Ma'am. pause... What now?"

Hahaha, exactly! "Oh look, Dunlandings damning up the stream, what should I do?"

"Well, go shoot them, of course."

"Will do!" *pew pew* Dunlanding dies, "Ok, got that one! So I shoot the other ones too? Oh dear! What do I do?"

*Widoch pushes archer off the wall and just shoots the enemy herself*
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

So, basically, we still don't know who the saboteur is x)

It would indeed make more sense with the exact same mechanics if you were actually restocking their arrows or something like that. Technically sometimes the archers are attacked so there's more to do than just click.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    It's unclear to me why 12.8 in Stonedeans has to be completed before the final Stoke quests though, they seem completely unrelated.
    I wondered that too. I think it is because the thane gives you 12.8 (or something to do with it), and if you drop the quest after she gets "phased out," you'd have no way of getting the quest back.
    Helen - Lv 95 Champion
    The Force of Middle Earth, Silverlode

So, basically, we still don't know who the saboteur is x)
    judging by the kind of quests you get it seems to me that all rohirrim are saboteurs themselves. I guess the only reason sauron won't win is due to *me* pushing and shoving everyone to winning the war effort despite all their effort to hinder any kind of sensible act.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    It would indeed make more sense with the exact same mechanics if you were actually restocking their arrows or something like that. Technically sometimes the archers are attacked so there's more to do than just click.
    There is one, I think, where you DO restock arrows. (I get these confused) That would be fine - if you could see the arrows... I believe this one is bugged, though.

I'd be happier with the EBs if the trait system worked better (meaning, officer/vanguard/engineer) I have to go so far down to get something useful (such as 'target sappers') that it means you do it & lose the daily, WAY too many times. I'm not sure this was their best system for a Tower Defense. It's like skirmish soldiers - there's no logical reason why we can't order them around constantly, like pets, - let alone, a minute in between. And you should be able to set up commanders without a cd. I can't imagine that people trying this at lower levels are terribly happy. It kinda makes you feel BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by shazbaat View Post
    I wondered that too. I think it is because the thane gives you 12.8 (or something to do with it), and if you drop the quest after she gets "phased out," you'd have no way of getting the quest back.
    Correct. Given the whole way it sends you out of sequence thematically, and that you have to do several tasks in Woodhurst to complete the quest, you would have thought there would have been a more elegant solution.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000027003/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Rothmarte View Post
    Correct. Given the whole way it sends you out of sequence thematically, and that you have to do several tasks in Woodhurst to complete the quest, you would have thought there would have been a more elegant solution.
    Shall I give the spoilers, then?

Grima's agent is Ordlac, but there's a minion of his whom he
    sends you to kill, and who is found with the poison on his
    corpse.

One of the other Thanes later brings in troops and, before
    you can say knife, kills Ordlac dead, and places the
    late Thane's son on the throne. So justice is done at last,
    but at a great cost.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone