We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Rune-Keeper or Warden

Considering playing a new class at this time. Either the Rune-Keeper or Warden. My experiences are all prior to the Trait Trees, with the exception of the Champion who I am relearning. But Champs are at the top of my list. Guards next I would say. I prefer a head-on fight, though I've developed a new-found fondness of Burgs. Lore-Masters are fun though too squishy and slightly more complicated than the Hunter I would say. Captains don't really interest me. As for races, elves always win with me. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Breeon; Jan 26 2014 at 03:35 PM.

I'm curious as to why you would rule out the Lore-master because of its squishiness when the Rune-keeper is just as squishy, doesn't have a 'real' pet and, honestly, probably has less survivability unless you sacrifice your DPS.

Anyway, between the RK and Warden, that's tough. I've heard from tanking Wardens that they aren't quite as good as, say, a Guardian in that area but supposedly their DPS is somewhat better than it was before. RKs have gone through some mechanics changes but, from what I've played, they're in a good spot DPS-wise. Can't comment on their healing ability just yet.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

Quote Originally Posted by Enzdid View Post
    I'm curious as to why you would rule out the Lore-master because of its squishiness when the Rune-keeper is just as squishy, doesn't have a 'real' pet and, honestly, probably has less survivability unless you sacrifice your DPS.

Anyway, between the RK and Warden, that's tough. I've heard from tanking Wardens that they aren't quite as good as, say, a Guardian in that area but supposedly their DPS is somewhat better than it was before. RKs have gone through some mechanics changes but, from what I've played, they're in a good spot DPS-wise. Can't comment on their healing ability just yet.
    Hey thanks for responding. As for the RK being as squishy as a LM, I did not know that but it makes sense. Thank you. I have played neither a RK nor a Warden and that's why I'm seeking others opinions. As for RK's and (to a lesser extent?) Wardens w/ regard to DPS looking good, that is encouraging. If I am going to heal I want to be able to heal myself first and foremost though, even if it means not being able to heal others at all but maybe that's just the Champ in my coming through.

With all the changes recently implemented and probably going to continue to be tweaked for some time now, I thought it was a good time to try something I have no experience with, and thus no biases.

Lms with pet traits is very powerful, soloing tier 2 3 mans today with ease. With healing, in combat pet summoning, crowd control plus sic em lm may be the best class for soloing atm. With respect to the rk warden question I think it comes down to whether you can tolerate the gambit system, I hear that wardens didn't do terribly well with the trait tree changes (no personal experience there) the rk made out very well especially fire traits, they are not just effective, the new visual effects are pretty spectacular, combustion and lightning and fire rune stone spells in particular. On the way to 95 and still using level 75 gear and lis, essay of fire, I think it's called, channeled fire spell can mostly one shot landscape mobs. New rk has reduced survival capability but very strong imo.

RK/Warden ....Lore-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    Lms with pet traits is very powerful, soloing tier 2 3 mans today with ease. With healing, in combat pet summoning, crowd control plus sic em lm may be the best class for soloing atm. With respect to the rk warden question I think it comes down to whether you can tolerate the gambit system, I hear that wardens didn't do terribly well with the trait tree changes (no personal experience there) the rk made out very well especially fire traits, they are not just effective, the new visual effects are pretty spectacular, combustion and lightning and fire rune stone spells in particular. On the way to 95 and still using level 75 gear and lis, essay of fire, I think it's called, channeled fire spell can mostly one shot landscape mobs. New rk has reduced survival capability but very strong imo.
    In truth, I was looking to burn up some Turbine Points and claim another character slot before allowing my subscription to expire. I told myself I would not play much otherwise until they get all the bugs worked out from HD release. I've not played a Rune-Keeper or Warden yet, so thought maybe something different would get the blood flowing again. But what could be more different than the new system, really? I'm finally starting to get over the initial shock of the Trait-Trees I think, and have even wanted to start toying around with alts a bit. As for playing a RK, I'm thinking it may only exacerbate the reluctance I have to play the game, because RK's are split the way they are Healer/Damage with no easy way of switching between the two. As for the Warden and what you say about the gambit system, "tolerating" it doesn't sound so nice.

What you and others have said about LM's has piqued my interest. Some say its great. Others think its way too much. I've always enjoyed playing a LM and strategizing combat 2 or 3 moves ahead.. pre-HD anyway.

Someone had this to say about Lore-Masters today. (Source: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...49#post7028049)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elannah View Post
    Godmode and the Loremaster's combat pets (aka Loremasters rule the game!)
    ============================== ====================
    The Loremaster is a true god/goddess when slotted the skills for his/her pets. The pets does massive damage and whit an insane skill you can send ALL your combat pets into combat. Their is even a skill to increase your level of your combat pet. This is really a programmers error. Now you cam combat, as a loremaster, purple colored mobs of 8 levels higher then yourself, since your pet is levels higher than the master. And, since the pets does massive damage, like the lynx, an enemy is killed in some seconds. We tried this out in the Limlight Gorge in the Great River area. There is a huge spider near the mountainridge, of appr. 170.000 morale. You can solo this spider easily now, even if the spider is PURPLE! How? Just tank it with your pet, which is 4 levels higher than you. When the pet dies, don't stay to close. Since you can now INSTANTLY resummon your pet when he is dead, its back within a second. So, the pet is virtually immortal now. Just watch your distance, and if the monster comes too close, watch out. Your loremaster pet is now a god!
    Last edited by Breeon; Dec 05 2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: title

I have a character of every class, Champ, Hunter and RK are maxed. If you hesitate between RK and warden, I would say go for the RK. Very fun before the skill revamp, and still very fun after. Hunter is also very nice (for Mounted Combat hunter is my favourite).

With respect to that thread, you make your own challenges, I tried soloing ost elendil 6 man on my lm. I died on the final boss but think i can do it with better strategy. With respect to the warden, if you don't own the class have a look at a youtube video of the gambit system. I can understand the appeal of using gambit against bosses and their awesome survival skills but the thought of doing gambits to complete slayer deeds strikes me as incredibly tedious. Building gambits require several keypresses to perform a skill and a great deal of memorisation. By comparison lms can run non stop tagging and killing multiple mobs at once with a single upgraded wizard fire that can be spammed from massive range, also afk slayer deeding with pet .

Difficulty of old content isn't really that big of an issue. Landscape content is becoming much easier over time. How classes perform in new raid/instance content will be more telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    I have a character of every class, Champ, Hunter and RK are maxed. If you hesitate between RK and warden, I would say go for the RK. Very fun before the skill revamp, and still very fun after. Hunter is also very nice (for Mounted Combat hunter is my favourite).
    Yes, I've heard that about the Hunter (mine is sitting steady at lv 45), though I've also heard they equally shine in Rohan without any steed at all. Champ is my main and it was a good choice for me.

With respect to that thread, you make your own challenges..
    I agree. I only re-posted it to demonstrate how different, and emotionally charged, opinions can be. Because of this thread, I've since revisited my alts and do think that the LM is much more fun to play now. I was surprised to see how many skills he actually retained also.

With respect to the warden, if you don't own the class have a look at a youtube video of the gambit system. I can understand the appeal of using gambit against bosses and their awesome survival skills but the thought of doing gambits to complete slayer deeds strikes me as incredibly tedious. Building gambits require several keypresses to perform a skill and a great deal of memorisation. By comparison lms can run non stop tagging and killing multiple mobs at once with a single upgraded wizard fire that can be spammed from massive range, also afk slayer deeding with pet..
    Thank you for the advice and insight. It's interesting that the Warden and the LM, as well as the Burglar, are considered advanced classes. So as far as the Warden being tedious, I don't suspect it would be too terribly different. As for afk Slayer Deeding, yes, and this comes in handy while prospecting.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Breeon View Post
    Considering playing a new class at this time. Either the Rune-Keeper or Warden. My experiences are all prior to the Trait Trees, with the exception of the Champion who I am relearning. But Champs are at the top of my list. Guards next I would say. I prefer a head-on fight, though I've developed a new-found fondness of Burgs. Lore-Masters are fun though too squishy and slightly more complicated than the Hunter I would say. Captains don't really interest me. As for races, elves always win with me. Any thoughts?
    When Rune Keeper vs Warden, i prefer Rune Keeper!
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

The Warden won this battle for me.

RK is just too straightforward as a dps class, playing no different from a hunter. Its now just building attunement as fast as possible and cash-out with the highest dps skill for me. Only reason I'll play an RK is for the heals.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000007617a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Don't go for Warden. Our tanking is currently very bad (Captains can out-tank us easily; we're not even in the same league). Also, we have quite a few other issues at the moment. You have to also realize that tanks aren't even needed in instances anymore, because everything is so face roll at the moment. I'd go for a RK because you'll be wanted in every group, because of heals and DPS.
    Eniigmatik | Exploit

Thanks for the replies, and for the reasons offered as to 'why' (a rare quality). Given some of the initial comments, I've started enjoying my LM again. I am questing at least 3 or 4 levels above him for at least a little bit of a challenge, but because it is so drastically different than before when everything at level was such a slow grind, its amusing to me. Maybe at some point I will purchase one of the other classes.. when and if some of the new expansion gets cleaned up a bit. ~ Cheers