We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    I'll try, but I'm working through quests. I hit 95 but am still on level 91 quests so not getting a lot of item drops yet. I don't normally bother upgrading weapons until I find one at cap.
    Thats the way I did it up to this expansion.. Until I looked at the DPS on my 86 unleveled legendary and saw it was 50% high than my 85 First Age. Then I started looking at the legacies. The tier 1 on the 86 was 30 percent higher than the tier 9 on my FA.

After that, I looked at the gear. Landscape and purple quest gear was about 40-100 percent higher on my primary stats.

I gave up on my second tune and have replaced every piece of gear he has by level 89. I am not even bothering to put runes or legendary scrolls on the LIs, as I am replacing them every level, if I can. The mobs are melting like soft butter with a laser knife anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Captain with red traits. And I set my archer herald on aggressive mode. Not sure how that helps as it's relatively low damage but at least it's doing something while I'm trying to push over ladders. Despite doing ridiculous damage on landscape even with level 85 weapon it feels that I'm not that great with it in BB. Some of that is just the running around to melee, never getting a chance to use a skill rotation, etc. But I also wonder if the level 85 weapon doesn't auto-level up with me very well.
    Even a 85 1st age weapon with 3 star cannot be compared to a 86 3rd age weapon in term of DPS. There is a huge DPS gap between 85 and 86 weapon, regarding of age. Try to get one when you can.

If you have trouble chasing a target, trying to set tripwire for stun or caltdrop for bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlgon View Post
    After that, I looked at the gear. Landscape and purple quest gear was about 40-100 percent higher on my primary stats.
    Ya, I noticed that. Yellow trash quest rewards at 87 or 88 were outdoing Hytbold armor. I still have some gold pants but I suspect they'll be put away pretty soon.

Also the war steed bridle. I found a 3rd age at 89 or 90 and looked at it, and had 12000+ fury contribution with no points. Overall though it doesn't really do as much damage as it implies even after letting fury build up.

I finally managed to get a Platinum in Helm Dike's Powder at the Gate solo.

Set the soldiers to 2H stance. Grab a small ballista. Next to the soldiers is a little rock outcropping (opposite side from the first barricade). I put my ballista there, aiming it at the middle of the road.

With good timing (and provided you don't make any mistakes) you can 1-shot any enemy that walks through that spot. You still have to deal with some Sappers that go close to the river towards the first barricade, but they only seem to drop small/medium casks and with only 15% disarm contribution I had enough time to disarm them.

Also lay down your traps when you can.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b3969/01007/signature.png]Minarfin[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Golledhel View Post
    For Helm's Dike solo (and I mean truly solo)

Requirement: Rank 3+ Engineer. 4 is better.

Place your 2 barricades on the west center side. Going up the ramp in front of the soldiers, where there are some dead soldiers, there's a boulder on one side and the wall on the other. place the first one there creating a choke point. And the 2nd one right behind it.

Place one of your Catapults right next to the officer closest to the watchtower. Place another catapult in the ledge where the watchtower is, where one of the Archers for a Stone Obstruction spawns.

When the battle starts and the west side gets attacked, go to the catapult you placed in the watchtower area. Load it with the Rank 4 shell if possible, and the 2nd powder (the one that does damage over time). And fully crank it and fire. It should hit all 3 orc formations. Just spam it and you'll quickly get rid of all the orcs that assault that side.

The Watch Tower and Stone Obstruction side quests seem to be tied to enemy deaths from the far western ramp, so you should be able to wipe out the central western formations before they pop up.

Once Stone Obstruction pops up, just run back and forth between the 3 archers. The soldiers should be able to easily take care of the dunlendings that run past them since they no longer have to deal with the enemy waves.

If you get Watch Tower then use the catapult you placed next to the commander with a Heavy Shell and 1 crank and create a murder zone. No enemy should be able to get past that commander. So long as the watchtower doesn't get damaged, it shouldn't bug and fail to give rewards.

You can place a catapult between Gamling and the rope which can deal with the war machine with only 1 crank and a heavy shell. Though it can run the risk of getting hit by a stray mob that gets past the west central group.
    I'm interested in this setup i'm a r4 engineer but i'm a little confused of the exact location of your catapults (could you clarify or perhaps use the OP map to point out the location of them?)

I place the 3 catapults where the 3 red C's are. Do not place the 2nd barricade. Hold on to it until the west side event starts.

When the battle starts:

-If I get attacked on the east side first, I go to the east catapult. Load with grapeshot. Leeching Powder. Crank all the way and fire. You can usually hit all 3 formations. Repeat until Protect the Horses begins. You might not need to crank all the way to hit the 3 formations.

--Once Protect the Horses begins, I rush to it. If you're lucky/fast, the waves you were catapulting will be destroyed/almost fully destroyed (if you're in a duo the increased speed of 2 people on the catapult should destroy it completely). Set those officers in Protect the Horses to 2H. Do the best I can.

--When you finish Protect the Horses rush to the far eastern group (the eastern central group will have finished battling its waves). This is very important as some of the soldiers will be yellow, and one or two might even be near death. Heal them up ASAP. Once you're confident they won't die to the remainder of the waves, make your way to the west side to be ready for the next phase. Heal the east central soldiers on the way.

--When the west side gets attacked, head to the catapult by the number 3. Grapeshot. Leeching powder. Crank and spam. I have not been able to hit all 3 groups since the first time I did it. So you might not need to crank all the way to hit the first 2 groups. I have to test if using a Heavy shell will hit the first 2 groups as those do more damage. Might be better. Again, if you're quick, you might destroyed the whole wave by the time Guarding the Watchtower pops up. If not, then you're on the tail end of the last wave.

--When Guarding the Watchtower pops up, head for the 3rd catapult, the one you placed by the commander(south western C with the yellow arrow pointing away). Place your 2nd barricade behind the first. Load with heavy shells and crank only once. Spam this and no mob should reach the tower. Lay down a trap (tripwire maybe) by the commander and also give your commander commands.

--Once the Watchtower event is finished, pack the catapult you were just using and move it to where the yellow C is. You don't need to fully build it. You have enough time to do so when the Flame at the Gates pops up before the War Machine reaches the gate. Use this time to fully heal the soldiers in the center lanes and have the catapults ready to fire on the oncoming waves.

--When the last waves come, use the catapults again to weaken the waves. Maybe alternate between the 2 sides. You're not looking to fully wipe out a side, you don't have time for that. You just want to weaken them so you can finish the battle soon after the last event. Be careful, though. You don't want the battle to end before you can finish the last quest.

--When Flames start, build your catapult (you might or might not have time to upgrade crank speed). Heavy shell and 1 crank should hit the machine. Just spam it until it dies. If you're fast (and no mob got away and started beating on your catapult) you should be able to kill it before it damages the gate. For Powder do your best to complete that. My strat (worked first time I tried it, will have to try to replicate) is above. Afterwards just go between the 2 sides and make sure no soldier dies/catapult the remaining waves.

-If you get attacked on the west side first, you will get Stone Obstruction and Statue of Helm Hammerhand.

--When Stone starts, it is possible that you haven't finished catapulting the western wave to death. So you have to hope the NPCs finish the remaining waves and don't get too stuck with the dunlendings. Focus on keeping the archers resupplied and give a few commands to the commander if you have time. The catapult by the Commander (that you would use for Watchtower) won't be much use (unless you're in a duo). When it is over, you can pack the catapult and move it to yellow C. Heal up the guys and get ready for eastern side. You can pop in on the far western group if you want, but they can usually handle themselves.

--For eastern side, repeat as normal. However, you might want to leave the catapult a bit earlier. Statue of Helm Hammerhand can cause some of the far eastern NPCs to die due to them trying to chase even mobs up the ramp while normal waves hit them in the back. Do the best you can to complete that successfully. Remember to set the commander by the statue to 2H stance at the beginning of the instance.

--Once that's done, make sure what's left of the far eastern side can survive the remainder of the wave, and make sure the 2 central groups are ready for the final wave. And repeat as above.

If you're lucky (instance starts on the east side and not on the west side) and you keep yourself busy at all times, you should end up with a platinum.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b3969/01007/signature.png]Minarfin[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Marolytrien View Post
    I've completed Vandals in the Tower 9 times with 2 characters, on solo. Only once i lost it due to timer issues.
    far as it goes with ur ranks next to your names there is nota r8 onle as high as 6 does it go might wann change that before u confuse to many people

For Deeping Coomb, A Pillage Denied you say, "On the far western side of the wall [...]"

I found this side quest takes place on the far eastern wall.

Thanks for a useful guide!

Corrected! Thanks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

thanks Golledhel,

i'll try that and i thinking of doing it duo so it's a little easier.
    I'm R5 engineer now so i should not have a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ildragorn View Post
    I'm R5 engineer now so i should not have a lot of problems.
    Still having problems solo. R4 engineer/officer though. Problem is that I feel like I must abandon stuff just to get a better score elsewhere. Ie, if I do side quests then I lose the main quest, things like that. Since I've gotten platinum from duos on much of it, I could easily leave some of the stuff behind but it does make things harder if I lose soldiers. Oh well, they're doable in duos or groups easily enough. (I did finally get my first solo bronze medal on the dikes)

Hi Lohi,

R4 and only bronze? you should at least get silver/gold on that rank.

at helm's dike what i do first before i talk to the person to start the bb is build all defences and load/crank/build/aim all catapults at the right positions.
    this way i can immediatly fire them when the orcs are in range. also i do not wipe out one side of West or East i shoot 3 times with the cata on the far West side (naturally if orcs attack me here first) then i move over
    to the West side closest to center and fire 2 maybe 3 shots as well by then i get side quest give the commander a heal and move to the side quest.

After that east side same story as West and when side quest pops up give commander a heal (on the last side you used your cata).

After that when you have done 2 side quest and they start attacking the middle i go back give commander heal (first side where you got attacked originally) and fire the cata only 2 times
    move over to other side give commander heal and fire cata again 2 times. and then i basicly switch to commander and give heal/speed/damage to commanders while AOE on one side and then move to the other.

This way i never lost any soldiers or commanders and get gold/plat depending on the side quests but always gold.
    I have tried golledhel's way with flames at the gate and it works like a charm dont even have to bother with the gate just cata that thing down.

Have yet to try his method on the guarding the watchtower one that one i find personally realy hard to solo.

Hope this helps you a little. you should be able to do this as a R4.

BB Patch note updates 12.1

Epic Battles
    • Epic Battles in all group sizes will now properly advance their associated Epic quest.
    • Defender NPCs in Epic Battles should more readily engage the forces of the Enemy.
    • Certain activatable objects (which have no morale/power) that are related to Epic Battles secondary quests will now show icons indicating which secondary quest they're related to in their tooltips and nameplates.
    • The last Officer Rank will now add 20 seconds to the Heal, Haste, Damage, and Armour buffs from the Commander Orders. It was previously incorrectly set to 10 seconds.
    • There is now a red "locked on" version of the target reticule which is displayed after the siege weapon is fired, while the missile is on its way to the target.
    • The medium catapult will no longer gain 90% of its health on the first build-cycle and now requires additional build time to complete.
    • The platinum set-piece rewards from Big Battles now have respective class requirements
    • Several Big Battle rewards have had their stats adjusted to fall back in line with other items of the same rarity and item level.
    • The Champion set piece rewards from Big Battles have had block rating removed and replaced with more relevant stats.
    • Some of the lower-level pieces of jewelry have had their stats adjusted to bring them in-line with other pieces of that level.
    • Moved the vanguard Pip generation effect to be on everyone while you are in an epic battle, not just a specific subset of vanguard traits.
    • All death strings have been updated to indicate objects have been destroyed instead of died.
    • Commander UI no longer has a placeholder while the stances button is loading.
    • Vandals in the Tower has been changed so that the loss of either winch will fail the quest immediately, but the invading vandals have been weakened.
    • Building and Repairing barricades has a new animation.
    • Vanguard skills will now always play their animation, sound, and visual FX (as long as your game settings allow it).
    • A 3rd Rank Engineer can now dismantle barricades in order to move them to another location.
    • Leeching Powder now lasts for a minute instead of forever.
    • Gimli & his cadets now properly finish patrol.
    • Laborers will no longer stop when attacked.

Glittering Caves

• Cave in will now collapse rocks properly.
    • Bomb and bats sappers will now place bombs as they should.
    • Cocoons now take a default of 3 seconds to disable.
    • Added progress indicator for Goblin Sapper objective.
    • Enemies should no longer attack the signaling flags.
    • Stalactites Over the Bridge - Reworded failure condition for clarity.
    • Civilian Defence now counts each barricades health separately and you will lose merit on health thresholds
    • Now has banners.
    • Final assault has a longer delay before spawning.
    • Stalactites over the bridge quest information now includes a wave count.
    • Cave In is now more difficult and you will lose merit on barricade health transitions.

- Solo -
    • Preparing the Charge merit values have been adjusted to make it possible to attain higher than a bronze medal.
    • Preparing the Charge now accurately reflects how many commanders you've killed

- Solo/Duo and 3-Man -
    • Bombs and Bats - Enemy pathing improved, difficulty increased.
    • Bombs and Bats - Enemies should no longer path to the ballista.
    • Bombs and Bats - Merit points have been adjusted for supply containers and crystals being destroyed.

Spider Assault:
    • 3 man now properly counts to 6
    • Spiders guarding Skrimgrit will engage
    • Cocoons are now listed as part of this quest not bombs and bats

Cave In:
    • Defenders only appear when this quest is active

Deeping Wall
    General
    • Totems now take considerably longer to disable than to reset.

12 Player
    • Increased the number of enemy catapults by 2 per assault
    • Spread out the enemy catapults a bit more
    • Medium Catapults now need to be cranked to 3 before they can be fired.
    • Banners will now be randomized in their appearance

Solo/Duo
    • Vandals in the Keep correctly counts to 8.

Securing the Culvert

• Trolls now have attack animations.

The Hornburg
    • Players can no longer jump out of the windows near the broken portcullis.
    • Constructed Winches and Siege Ladders penalties increased and Uruks will now sometimes attack the Wounded Rohirrim and Healers. Vandals now have slightly higher health.
    • Bringing Down the Siege-ladders -- When the quest is completed, enemies will no longer continue to spawn from any remaining siege ladders.
    • Bringing Down the Siege-ladders -- Waves coming up the stairs following the first have been increased to 3 non-troll monsters, up from 2.
    • Repair the Portcullis -- Supplies have been shifted slightly to aid in guiding the player to them and are now denoted by sparkles.
    • The Final Blockade -- Uruks and Orcs attacking the ballistae should no longer run down to the main fight on the wall.
    • Protecting the Gatehouse - The door to the lower gatehouse now sparkles and additional text has been added to the initial announcement.
    • Extinguishing Fear-The water bucket can be picked up again if the player stops carrying it or the timer runs out

Deeping-coomb
    • Minimap labels for Securing the Debris, A Pillage Denied, and Preparing the Retreat have been corrected to their proper colours.
    • Players can no longer enter the Hornburg during this battle.
    • The announcement of the second wave of attacks now occurs when the attack begins.
    • Merit penalties for losing focus banners and constructed equipment have been increased substantially.
    • Defilers in the Water -- Dark Waters can now reach the mill and Uruks will harry the Rohirrim commander.
    • Searching the Debris -- Waves of enemies attacking the debris/wounded now spawn slightly faster.

Helm's Dike
    - Solo/6 Man-
    • Failure conditions of side quests are now red in the quest tracker
    • Protect the Horses - Added text regarding the ability of freeing horses intentionally

- Solo -
    • Tutorial ladders are now visible at the start of the instance
    • Guarding the Watchtower - The tower will become unselectable after the quest completes
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

IMHO Glittering Caves were overtuned. Today's attemp on my R6 hunter:
    - again started on west as usual (maybe bad luck)
    - stalactites no problem; finally i could as engineer dismantle few baricades and build double row of them at quest location
    - sometimes got a bug (still in combat without actual shooting at anything) - maybe because I upgraded barricades for damage? WAI?
    - spiders luck as usual, got 4 rohirrims out of cocoons, killed queen, still only gold medal. Adds do not engaged as promised in patch notes. I haven't dismantle maxed (not enough points yet), but seriously getting platinum isn't possible for solo players.
    - civil defense - this one is now simply impossible. Used to get platinum before, now only silver. The last 2 trolls with few adds destroyed the first barricade in few seconds (and I've built another one just in front of her + lay a trap). The merit loss is extreme.

we got 5 rohirrim, about 75% of the way to plat, killed queen, still gold medal. still broken, i'd say....
    Civilian Defence now counts each barricades health separately and you will lose merit on health thresholds
    I just did this q with me on hnt and friend on cappy; i did about 6k dps on the last set of adds (which includes 2 trolls), while cappy did a bit less; couldn't prevent 5k dmg occurring on the first barricade, all mobs were stunned for a bit by tripwire. We got gold.
    Now, i'm sure this would've been easier if I'd set up a ballista there, but that really seems kind of silly that those things are required for everything..
    Last edited by rannion; Dec 16 2013 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amickson View Post
    IMHO Glittering Caves were overtuned. Today's attemp on my R6 hunter.
    With a ballista you can solo 5/6 quests for platinum, no matter what class you are. Spider quest still gives only gold medal even if everything is completed properly.

Tactics (requires a high rank engineer who can switch to a high rank officer a few times) which works perfectly for "Cave In", "Stalactites", "Bombs and Bats", "Civilian Defence":

1) Give all commanders the following orders: 2h stance, priority: sappers.
    2) Set up ballista for the side quest, ideally upgrade the damage on it.
    3) Place a couple of tripwires with maxed trigger count at the aiming point of ballista.
    4)** If the side quest has not started yet, run to one of commanders (switch to officer traits on the run) and use all 4 commands on him.
    5) Return to the side quest and keep shooting the stunned mobs. Trolls require 2-3 shots. Renew the tripwire when it is off cd.
    6)** When the quest is over, run to the second commander and use all 4 commands there.
    7) Prepare for the next wave.
    8) Repeat 1-7 as needed.
    ** I am not sure these steps are needed at all. I just do it because there is nothing else to do

For Civilian Defence I aim a ballista at the corner where the mobs turn towards the barricades. Shoot directly in the wall and all mobs will be in the area of effect.

The Prepare the Charge quest is much easier now, it is enough to disable just one barricade in each row and about 2/3 of traps on the way. Maybe even less.

From my point of view Ballista is way too strong. 25k damage on all mobs is just too much, it oneshots all non-troll mobs even in a 3man.
    Last edited by Lunasa; Dec 16 2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100
    Ishtarel - HNT 100 / Ishtaridas - LRM 100 / Cabernetta - GRD 100 / Ishtari - RNK 100 / Ishti - BRG 100 / Lunasa - MNS 100 / Medovinus - BRN 100
    The Mellowship - [EN] Eldar -> [EN] Evernight

Since I have little faith in the patch notes at the moment:

Is it possible to get platinum in Hornburg?

and

Are the other two sidequests now available in Helm's Dike 6-man?

Thanks
    Beastwise ~ R15 Captain | Beastnas ~ R11 Hunter | Beastfang ~ R11 Warg | Doctorbeast ~ R10 Defiler

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post

simple answer: no.
    át least not with the combination of quests we got.
    still only gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post

It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Golledhel View Post
    Load speed is pretty good in the wall to use the drop rocks as those are the only things that can kill Commanders before they get up on the wall. The middle one is particularly deadly.
    Commands can be killed with catapults; at least I see lots of the red messages showing how many are getting killed when the grapeshot hits.

BTW, we got The Final Blockade quest yesterday. Seemed fairly easy on duo (got a gold our first try). There are two siege weapons in the gatehouse you have to protect (we didn't see the second one, and it got destroyed). Trip wires help, and having some ranged dps helps (since the mobs get into the corners making the hard to get to).
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

[COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

cave-in in 3man is bugged again/still. We killed all the mobs, no new ones spawned, quest was at 90%. then we got marks, but a bit later it decided to fail.
    caves duo can be done platinum now, start east, get cave-in, get bombs/bats, get preparing charge.

Quote Originally Posted by rannion View Post
    cave-in in 3man is bugged again/still. We killed all the mobs, no new ones spawned, quest was at 90%. then we got marks, but a bit later it decided to fail.
    caves duo can be done platinum now, start east, get cave-in, get bombs/bats, get preparing charge.
    Yep, we had the 3man still only give 5 rohirrim from cocoons which should give 6, so we only got gold.

This was the same case for the duo, only 5 rohirrim from cocoons. we double checked and didn't miss any.. So I guess it's just sometimes working

After doing Hornburg about 12 times, I still have not seen The Final Blockade come up either :/

Quote Originally Posted by rannion View Post
    I did it on platinum yesterday. It worked the same as before the update. I suppose you still need to kill all the mobs as quickly as possible to prevent it from bugging. I never had it bug, but since I play champion and always take at least 1 other champ or a minstrel, DPS has always been high.

Quote Originally Posted by sp33dccm View Post
    Yep, we had the 3man still only give 5 rohirrim from cocoons which should give 6, so we only got gold.
    Rannion was talking about Cave-in, which is a different quest than Spider Assault. Spider Assault is still bugged and impossible to complete on platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by sp33dccm View Post
    After doing Hornburg about 12 times, I still have not seen The Final Blockade come up either :/
    It took me a few runs before I got it as well, but it's definitely there. It pops up as the second side quest, not the first, if that's of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pan View Post
    I did it on platinum yesterday. It worked the same as before the update. I suppose you still need to kill all the mobs as quickly as possible to prevent it from bugging. I never had it bug, but since I play champion and always take at least 1 other champ or a minstrel, DPS has always been high.

Rannion was talking about Cave-in, which is a different quest than Spider Assault. Spider Assault is still bugged and impossible to complete on platinum.

It took me a few runs before I got it as well, but it's definitely there. It pops up as the second side quest, not the first, if that's of any help.
    Yep, I've heard it was second quest. Just haven't managed to get it to come up..

As for not having high enough DPS, and instead of 'needing' to take aoe dps, just build a ballista (there's one at the start point) and fire away. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pan View Post
    Was there with lm+rk and me on wrd with r6 eng on ballista that oneshot most of the mobs that run into my trip wires, and lm+rk cleaning up the rest. It's pretty sad that that such a configuration is still 'too slow' for the quest, especially considering that the first time we undermanned it with champ+me on wrd -- both at best r3 at the time -- we got platinum with me nothing anything except giving orders to the soldiers, because warden in BB..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast