We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Two honest questions for RPers

    Hello everyone!
    I play on landroval and I always see these RP events going on everywhere.
    A lot of them look really fun with all the music and dancing and wine and ale!
    I don't want to be rude and invite myself to these RP events, kinda like crashing a party.
    So sometimes I just stand or sit nearby and watch quietly.
    I don't know how to RP myself. I tried a few years ago and just got funny looks.
    (I wanted my character to be a mean little dwarf that loved hobbit lasses)

    So my questions are:

    1. Is it rude/weird/creepy to sit and watch a group of RPers I don't know?
    2. Is it ok for my Dwarf RP character to be mean to elves and flirtatious with hobbit lasses? Or is this persona not ok in the RP community?

    These are honest questions guys, I don't want to be reported if I offend someone.

  2. #2
    and here are the answers!

    1) not realy creepy, but you should act normally.

    for example: you see five people rping in the prancing pony, instead of standing and looking at them the rest of the event, you can join, or even rp just sitting in one of the bar chairs and drinking beer and watch at them at the same time.

    2) many dwarves hate elves, and so many elves hate dwarves, it is fine for you to hate elves, but dont try to assasinate them.

    and hobbits are fine, every character has its wicknesses, but you should have a damm good reason why you are starting with a hobbit in a bar and you arent drunk!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    522
    Just jump in there and adjust accordingly. The fact that you've gone so far as to admit getting funny looks and are taking it to the forums shows you care. Assuming this somehow comes through in your role-playing, you should be ok. Any other role-players who are worth your time will recognize this. Besides, you can look your nose down at elves all you want and demonstrate this in your rp in any number of subtle and non-confrontational ways. You can also chase Hobbit lasses around, flirt with them, whatever you want, but it is probably a little weird to just stand there. Make them want to interact with you. How you do that is up to you. Most of the role-play taking place on Landroval that I've experienced, especially when it comes to music, dance, and that sort of thing, is on the light side of things anyway.
    Last edited by Breeon; Dec 02 2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Connection failed: Client timed out the connection

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio River valley
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by GSO86 View Post
    So my questions are:

    1. Is it rude/weird/creepy to sit and watch a group of RPers I don't know?
    No, not really. Watching RP is a good way to get a feel for how it is done if you aren't experienced. Most RPers would probably understand if you said that's what you are doing. But it's not really rude to just park on the sidelines - plenty of folks on Landy don't RP.

    2. Is it ok for my Dwarf RP character to be mean to elves and flirtatious with hobbit lasses? Or is this persona not ok in the RP community?
    It would be odd for a dwarf to favor hobbit gals, but not beyond the very flexible limits of believable RP. Expect other characters to find it a bit weird. HOWEVER, if you are making the players of the hobbit gals uncomfortable, back off and tone it down a bit. You don't want your dwarf's quirky tastes to be misconstrued as something less innocent. Harassment and/or stalking are things that will get you in trouble!

  5. #5
    Hello GSO86!

    If you come across a large group of people playing music and dancing feel free to join. Stuff like that is usually meant for anyone to take part in as long as they behave and do not try to ruin it for everyone else.

    1. Watching a group RP is not rude, weird, or creepy (unless you decide to take it there.) I say find a spot to watch that won't be in the middle of the action and you are good to go. If you want to join in but are unsure if you should or if they will mind just ask.

    2. Dwarves and Elves aren't exactly BFFs, Gimli and Legolas are a rare exception. It would make sense for your character to be mean toward them but try not to go overboard with it. Your character could land in jail or worse people could report you for harassment. Now for being flirtatious with Hobbit lasses...that one depends on the people you RP with. Some people might see that as being uncharacteristic or lore-break and some people, like myself, will not care.

    There you go! You have some honest questions and I gave some honest answers. I hope they helped you!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    3 Garden St, Dunberth, Bree
    Posts
    1,006
    Just to put in my two coppers, since I'm lurking today, I'd address question two by saying that dwarves were largely neutral, if not condescending towards hobbits. Bilbo's renown obviously bumped them up a notch in the esteem of many, but most dwarves (especially those of Blue Mountains) tended to avoid hobbits. It says in the text, regarding dwarves who traveled through the Shire, that "as a rule, dwarves said little and the hobbits asked no more". So realistically most dwarf-men wouldn't take any notice of a hobbit-lass, but there are always exceptional characters.

    The real answer, though, is this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Katerbug View Post
    Some people might see that as being uncharacteristic or lore-break and some people, like myself, will not care.
    It just depends on who you're playing with!

  7. #7
    Thank you all very much!!
    This was all extremely helpful.
    I'll try this out today after work.

    (Oh and no worries, I'm not a stalker or anything lol, I'll just ask a hobbit lass to dance or something )

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Tumunzahar
    Posts
    17
    Hello there, good too see a fellow Dwarf about! As a Dwarven RPer on Landroval myself, I can say that in my own kin there are a number of Dwarrows that have, er, taken a liking too the Hobbit lasses. All the benefits of a Dwarven lass without the beards is the argument I hear most. As for hating Elves, my character, Tharonin, will happily slay any elf he sees. However, LOTR Dwarves often have little reason too be against Elves aside from general cultural differences, and it would largely depend on your Dwarf background and Clan.

    As for RPing, I recommend just popping into the Pony and chatting someone up. That's the best place for random RP on the server I daresay. And, if perhaps you want some more Dwarven-oriented RP, feel free too shoot myself or and Dwarf of the Khuzd Belkur a PM or letter. I'm sure most of us would be up for helping you out with anything regarding the mighty Dwarven race and how too properly RP one!

  9. #9
    Hi! I didn't read your replies yet but I wanted to give you lots of encouragement! First, I'm like you, and don't know how to RP.
    Second my kin hosts many events like you described. We would and will always welcome everyone! We love anyone to join in! We even have a vendor who gives ale and pipeweed and sometimes even fireworks to anyone who would like them. But if you just want to sit on the sidelines and enjoy from there, we welcome that to, and I never knew anyone to think it's weird or creepy, but just the opposite we like everyone and want everyone to enjoy our events how they please as long as it isn't by acting malicious and really hurting to anyone else.
    And my kin does a lot of pokes with dwarves (or we say dorfs!) and elves, hobbits, and men! I guess it will depend on that particular group/individual. But you'll get the feel if they like it or not, I say to go and try it at events.

  10. #10
    Here's a suggestion; being present when a RP enactment is spooling down and standing staring at it would be considered just as awkward as standing and staring at a group of R/L friends... sooner or later someone is going to get all "want a damn picture?" in your face...

    Stand or sit facing a different direction / view... perhaps out a nearby window or facing the door as if awaiting someone...

    Then use your camera controls to rotate around your character until you frame the RP group... watch (& learn!) to your hearts content. You are merely background fill and not impacting their roleplay.

    Someone may try and involve you ; "I say good Dwarf, are you waiting for companions?" at which point you may play it as you feel your character would play it... everything from a grumpy and rude "I'm minding my own business, a practice which seems to be sadly lacking in this inn..." to a friendly "Well, my friends seem to be missing, but I dislike drinking solo, so if you don't mind?" <gestures to an empty chair at their table>...

    The biggest thing is to create your character in as much whole cloth as you can, make them as real as you possibly can. Then act that character out as you intuitively feel they would act themselves out if they could.

    And don't expect to regale others with long winded back story just because you created it... it's only there so YOU know how to RP your character.
    That does not mean bits and pieces of your back-story won't be let out as you develop friends...
    Not unlike real life; many will know a little bit, very few will know a lot, no one but perhaps the closest parent/lover/friend will know it all...

    Jammer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammermon View Post
    And don't expect to regale others with long winded back story just because you created it... it's only there so YOU know how to RP your character.
    That does not mean bits and pieces of your back-story won't be let out as you develop friends...
    Not unlike real life; many will know a little bit, very few will know a lot, no one but perhaps the closest parent/lover/friend will know it all...
    This is something I've not heard before. Its very simply stated and to the point. Well put.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammermon View Post
    Here's a suggestion; being present when a RP enactment is spooling down and standing staring at it would be considered just as awkward as standing and staring at a group of R/L friends... sooner or later someone is going to get all "want a damn picture?" in your face...

    Stand or sit facing a different direction / view... perhaps out a nearby window or facing the door as if awaiting someone...

    Then use your camera controls to rotate around your character until you frame the RP group... watch (& learn!) to your hearts content. You are merely background fill and not impacting their roleplay.

    Someone may try and involve you ; "I say good Dwarf, are you waiting for companions?" at which point you may play it as you feel your character would play it... everything from a grumpy and rude "I'm minding my own business, a practice which seems to be sadly lacking in this inn..." to a friendly "Well, my friends seem to be missing, but I dislike drinking solo, so if you don't mind?" <gestures to an empty chair at their table>...

    The biggest thing is to create your character in as much whole cloth as you can, make them as real as you possibly can. Then act that character out as you intuitively feel they would act themselves out if they could.

    And don't expect to regale others with long winded back story just because you created it... it's only there so YOU know how to RP your character.
    That does not mean bits and pieces of your back-story won't be let out as you develop friends...
    Not unlike real life; many will know a little bit, very few will know a lot, no one but perhaps the closest parent/lover/friend will know it all...

    Jammer
    I could not have said it any better, yes I agree.
    Well done.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    534
    Good answers from everyone. There's another thing to note, as well, though, since the OP was mainly speaking about music.

    There's several types of RP on Landroval.

    The "light" RP and music events are just that, and people won't have a problem with someone standing, watching, or even dancing. I would avoid the flirting, since in-lore, dwarves wouldn't do it, and out-of-lore, as folks mentioned, it can come across as creepy to the players. Waving and hailing should be fine.

    The "heavy" RP type, though, it's a bit iffier on watching. If you see characters in a side room at the Pony, or if they're gathered and having a large conversation, then disrupting that can be seen as rude, especially if you do things like dance on the table they're sitting at. I have had non-RPers come across me and others in places we've been RPing and they send a /tell of 'Wow, I'm enjoying the story.', so I don't mind folks who stop and watch/read the story, as long as they don't get disruptive.
    Favorite Dev Quote from 2009: [b]Graal:[/b] The lack of an instant threat catch up skill is one of the differences in tanking between Wardens and Guardians, just like Wardens dont have a easily used forced taunt. It is unlikely, but not impossible that this will change. Bottom line...Dont die.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload