We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Graphics Tearing or Slicing?

Greetings,

I am running a late 2012 Macbook Pro. Automatic graphic settings adjust my graphics to "ultra-high" settings, but I usually lower the setting to "high" or "medium." Regardless of which setting I use, I still occasionally experiance what I can only describe as tearing or slicing in the graphics. It is a horizontal glitch where the top and bottom portion of the screen are not alligned. It only happens for a split second. And, it seems to happen more in heavily popluated areas.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Metolius
    Last edited by Metolius; Dec 04 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metolius View Post
    Greetings,

I am running a late 2012 Macbook Pro. Automatic graphic settings adjust my graphics to "ultra-high" settings, but I usually lower the setting to "high" or "medium." Regardless of which setting I use, I still occasionally experiance what I can only describe as tearing or slicing in the graphics. It is a horizontal glitch where the top and bottom portion of the screen are not alligned. It only happens for a split second. And, it seems to happen more in heavily popluated areas.
    I wish I knew more about graphics and graphics hardware.

My gut feeling is that this particular problem has to do with loading the particular "image" from your hard-drive into main memory, and then to the graphics card.

"Screen tearing" according to Wikipedia:
    "Screen tearing is a visual artifact in video display where a display device shows information from two or more frames in a single screen draw.[1]

The artifact occurs when the video feed to the device isn't in sync with the display's refresh. This can be due to non-matching refresh rates—in which case the tear line moves as the phase difference changes (with speed proportional to difference of frame rates). It can also occur simply from lack of sync between two equal frame rates, in which case the tear line is at a fixed location that corresponds to the phase difference. During video motion, screen tearing creates a torn look as edges of objects (such as a wall or a tree) fail to line up."

"Ways to prevent video tearing depend on the display device and video card technology, software in use, and the nature of the video material. The most common solution is to use multiple buffering."

How accurate that information is, I have no idea.

Any issue with graphics is complicated by Apple -- you are at the mercy of their implementation of the Vendor's Graphics chips (there is no discrete graphics card), and of the Vendor's control software (Apple traditionally provides zero "tweaking" capability.)

In heavily populated areas (like the Moors and Raids) the classic solution is to turn off "floaty names." This cuts down on two things -- the actual amount of data which needs to be displayed on-screen AND the amount of data which needs to be shipped back and forth between client and server.

The "other" issue is the change in graphics "quality" which was implemented with Riders of Rohan. I have no idea what that really means either, but many have commented on that being the case. That technology was then "ported" back to Bree with Update 11.2 (I think it was). Does that changer mean "finer textures," "more polygons", "less taste " .... I have no idea.

And on top of all this we have the issues of OpenGL vs DX. We "know" that there is a memory leak in LOTRO's OpenGL code. But since Turbine refuses to comment on "technical" problems, we have no idea how many of those issues are truly problems that Turbine simply is unable to find and fix and so therefor claims "user error" or how many truly are "user error" i.e. related to the users Hardware/Software configurations.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

And on top of all this we have the issues of OpenGL vs DX. We "know" that there is a memory leak in LOTRO's OpenGL code. But since Turbine refuses to comment on "technical" problems, we have no idea how many of those issues are truly problems that Turbine simply is unable to find and fix and so therefor claims "user error" or how many truly are "user error" i.e. related to the users Hardware/Software configurations.
    Yes I spent some time spinning around with Turbine support on this. They tried to fob it off on that I had my settings too high, but I've been developing software for too long to see it as anything other than a leak. Besides I am dual booting the exact same computer into Windows and Mac, with maxed out settings on both and the Windows version is rock stead while the Mac version consistently crashes with a memory allocation after about an hour.