We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Excited to be returning to game... but it's taking so long to download!

i used to play LOTRO loads and loads but i ended up losing interest sometime last year. but now my interest has been rekindled (thanks to the hobbit movies!) and i've decided to come back. i am actually quite looking forward to it as well...
    i got all the way up to Isengard last time but I have decided to start from the very beginning again, with a new character, and just enjoy the whole lot again like i did last time.

but... (here comes the but)... i've got a Mac now instead of a PC so i'm having to download the whole thing from scratch again.

Has anyone tried to do that recently? it takes an absolute age! first of all you have to download it from Steam, which takes ages in itself (i don't leave my computer on all night, so it took me two days), and then when you finally get to the launcher you basically have to download the whole thing again. at least, that's what it seems like to me. it's going through the whole lot and patching it. i am onto my third day now, and i've still got ages to go. that is hours and hours of download time, spread over 5 days.

luckily i already know the game inside out, and i already know that i'm going to enjoy it, so i'm more than happy to wait. but seriously... turbine? you must be losing loads and loads of interested new players if they have to wait days before they can even get the first screen up.

back in the old days, when i downloaded it the first time, i seem to remember that you could play almost straight away, and it downloaded the rest in the background. maybe that was just a PC-only thing, and it's different for Macs, but i think they need to do something like that again because they must be losing loads of new players

Quote Originally Posted by Cunir View Post
    back in the old days, when i downloaded it the first time, i seem to remember that you could play almost straight away, and it downloaded the rest in the background. maybe that was just a PC-only thing, and it's different for Macs, but i think they need to do something like that again because they must be losing loads of new players
    There are multiple answers. First off, there is not much Turbine can do. The game is much larger now than it was then -- the base download is now something like 17.8 gig. Then the patch (now with Helm's Deep) is another 5-10 gig. Remember? The last Boxed edition "Mines of Moria" (and the "Mithril Edition") was two DVD's in size, so it still took "Hours and Hours" to install the base game. So the basic size of the game is directly effected by the speed of your Internet Connection. The difference between someone on a 2gig DSL line is dramatically slower than someone on a 20gig Cable modem... AND keep in mind that 17.8 is Gig-a-bytes and that 20 is Gig-a-bits; nominally a factor of 10 difference between bits and bytes!

As for the "start downloading and then play:" Yes, if you look at lotro.com's download page you will see two "new" (as of about September) "Play Instantly" options.
    These both (PC and Mac) use HappyCloud as the download mechanism. However, they still take a couple of hours to download the "3 starter areas" before they let you begin playing while they download "the rest." See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client for more info.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)