We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Any Ideas

Any Ideas

So hey everyone im looking for a background for my elven hunter from mirkwood as the son of legolas but id like to add some actions and situtations in his biography any ideas?

Please tell me you're joking, right? My advice, don't do it.

Or in the words of Captain America (aka Captain America): "Son, just don't."

Having your character be the son of Legolas is a massive lore-break because it significantly alters one of Tolkien's main characters in a way which no evidence appears in any of Tolkien's writings. Very few people will ever RP with you if your character has that backstory. It's just bad RP etiquette to change the lore so drastically, and heavily frowned on to give your character any significant relationship at all to a major book character.

i was thinkin and thinkin the only idea was that so thats why i wanted help.

Greetings to ya!

Sorry, but I am not an elf 'lore'ist' (my main is a dwarf with a tophat) but i recong ya can get your thoughts goin with some of the information on this post:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/01...elven-origins/

Thouh, a tip from me would be to start playin, and just have the basic that you are from Mirkwood, named so and so and aprox age. Then let your encounters
    with other RP'ers add to your background story as you walk along this fantastic game.

Best regards
    Grymrock Grey
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c00000018aa94/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Leader of 'Order of the Divine Brew' kinship at [EN-RP] Laurelin server.
    Bandleader of [URL="http://laurelinarchives.org/node/7504"]'The Chosen Few'[/URL] at the [En-RP] Laurelin server.

Stop. Now. Before you become yet another laughing stock clogging up Bree regional.

My advice is to build your character's story as you go from the events that you see unfold in the game. Also, read the books (LotR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, etc.); they're very much worth reading and they're the only way you're going to get an accurate idea of Elves. The movies are all sensationalism and perfect hair and Orlando Bloom looking all dashing for the ladies; they're good movies, but in order to tell an adventure story they left out most of the culture. Tolkien's novels go to great lengths to explore the cultures, and Turbine's game incorporates a lot of that.

If you want a crash course in all things Elven, the article Grymrock linked is a good very basic overview of what elves are.
    You can also take a look at http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. Look up the names of any Elves or locations that come to mind and just go wiki-walking from there (but be aware that although the wiki puts all the information in one easily searchable place, it's no replacement for actually reading the books. The way Tolkien presents a story is just as important as the story itself).

When you created your Elven character, you selected a place of origin for him -- Mirkwood, Lothlorien, Edhellond, Rivendel or Lindon. Look up all the info you can about that place, get a feel for what it is like living there and decide why your character left to go adventuring.
    Once you have a feel for who your character is and what Elves are all about, try to answer this: why has he not yet gone West and does he plan to do so soon, very soon, or not-all-that-soon?

Try to make your character's story avoid significant events and persons from Tolkien's novels. And don't make him related to anyone from the books, especially anyone who canonically has no kids.
    Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre,[right]Mind shall be harder, heart be keener,[/right]
    mod sceal þe mare þe ure maegen lytlað.[right]Spirit be greater as our strength lessens.[/right]

[center][url]http://iranonofarda.wordpress.com[/url][/center]

Right, so now that we have crushed your idea and done who knows what else, time to go positive.

Roleplaying an Elf is an incredibly fun and rewarding experience. It's incredibly difficult yes, but well worth it. And having Mirkwood is a good start for a character. Would you be wanting to create the Elven archer type character? Or a different one?

I think back to my early days of roleplaying in Middle Earth, years before LotRO was a spark in Turbine's eye, and I'm shocked at some of the things that I thought were good ideas at the time. Being Legolas's long-lost brother, for example. Legolas was cool, I wanted to be cool. I researched elven names, I read the family trees, browsed the Silmarillion, and then moved on to different games because it just wasn't working. By the time LotRO rolled around, I was older, wiser, and more read. Believe me (and the others) that when you introduce yourself as Legolas's brother or son or father's cousin's college roomate, it will turn people off at best, and open yuorself to the mockingly cruel at worst.

There are several kinds of lore hounds, in my opinion. There are those that take the lore as absolute gospel, if something isn't mentioned specifically it doesn't exist. There are others that know and respect the lore and try to work their characters into it; this takes work, but I find it to be incredibly rewarding. Throughout his historical works, Tolkien references "kinsmen", that is people that are related, but it's unclear in what manner or how closely. It is plausible to be related to Legolas in some distant manner, but that shouldn't be what defines you. I'm, so the story goes, related to George Washington, but that comes up so rarely as to make it a non-issue to what defines me as a person.

My recommendation would be to find what defines your character? Does he like bows or swords? This can have an effect on the class you choose. How old is he? Has he seen some *stuff*? Has he been out in the world or is this his first time outside of the forest? What are his strengths and weaknesses? These will define your character far more than who he is related to... and will garner you much more respect and make people want to RP with you more.

Confession time. My character that I've played since day one, is a "kinsman" to a book character. It's come up perhaps six time times in the six years since I've started playing. I have written several dozen pages of backstory, I've drawn up a maternal and paternal family tree back to the First Age... as a man no less. None of that stuff has ever been seen by the people I roleplayed with. It doesn't come up that I'm the great-great-grandson of so and so... because that's not how a person is defined. It's a way for me to know my character and how I play him.

In short, I recommend you don't have a son of Legolas. I do recommend that you continue to ask questions here. The very fact that you're posting in this forum means that you want to give RP a try... and I encourage it! There are loads of people here that have been in your shoes before (whether we'll admit it or no) and would love to help you take your first steps as a roleplayer in Middle Earth.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000000a1c8/01008/signature.png]Balariond[/charsig]

I agree with Elben and Dermax here, if you can work your way into the lore playing an elf is a lot of fun and Mirkwood is a great starting place.

So do you want your elf to be one of the upper class in Mirkwood? A warrior? Since the elves of Mirkwood were mentioned as trading along the river up to the Lake-Men in Dale I made my Mirkwood elf one of the raft-elves, so you could also do that and have him live outside of Mirkwood proper. There is mention that they don't have steel weapons, and that they don't craft jewels themselves (but really like them a lot) and since they have been forced into a tiny corner of the forest by the presence of Dol Guldur they are pretty suspicious of strangers. Since the Battle of Five Armies wasn't too long ago it is likely that your character partook in that, which is always good for a mention.

Thranduil and his household live in a cave, but a lot of his people live in flets in the trees so if you have a preference as to what sort of job your character does you should keep that in mind. Maybe your character crafts bows? Maybe s/he is one of the royal chefs? You could be one of the guards, or a huntsman. Maybe you live in the raft-elf village but instead of trading you tailor or fish. Or heck, maybe you did trade but then proved your mettle in the Battle of Five Armies, and while there acquired a SWORD from one of the Dalish men and you started helping to keep your fellow elves safe from spiders while they traveled which lead you to deciding that maybe you would help keep fellow elves safe while they traveled to the havens, and not just through Mirkwood and then HERE YOU ARE.

Uhhh what was my point here...

oh yeah. THERE IS A LOT YOU CAN DO and I am really excited because Elves.

Was any of that helpful at all? >.>;;

Guys Calm Down Maybe another laughing one but i developed one here it is:

Actually Kinda Based on my outfits too but :

Felaberrond Belegepsse:

He was born in mirkwood, the people of mirkwood thought he was a legend until he appeared in edhellion and his legends are these:

Fulminating Elf;
    Felaberrond Belegepesse was a slayer of many dragons and he crafted his arrows with dragon fire, any foe that is being attacked by him thought a dragon was fulmunating to you. And his armor was made of dragon scale of Dragoich. His swords were made of dragons tooths. The Fulmunating Elf was the secret protector of Mirkwood.

Assassin In Woods;
    Felaberrond Belegepesse was a assassin hiding in the woods and hunting orcs, goblins, anyother foe that threatens the safety of mirkwood. Any foe that being attacked by him doesnt hear, see, feel anything about him you just walk through woods and then hit in right in the ey by a arrow. That man was again the secret protector of mirkwood in other identity.

His origin is not known the only thing people know about him is that he is a mighy hunter, Assassin, In wars that he appeared a commander, a noble warrior.

The Only Hope of Middle Earth.

Okay! I think I have an idea of what you are looking for now! The idea as it stands needs some adjusting to fit in with the setting but I think you can salvage some of it. However, before I go into specifics about adjusting I am gonna recommend that you don't make statements that assume other people's thoughts on your character. Like, saying your character is a legend (unless you can get some RP friends who agree to go along with this) tends to create resistance with roleplayers. (so basically no "everyone loves him/hates him, everyone thinks he is the best looking ever, he's so heroic everyone has heard about him." but you can put in your bio that "my character did x and y and probably some people have heard about it, especially if they live in Mirkwood" which lets other people make a decision about what their characters know.)

NOW I think what you want is a marchwarden! I don't remember any being specifically mentioned for Mirkwood, but Doriath and Lorien had them so probably they existed. (anyone who has actually gotten to Mirkwood in game can tell me if they exist there for LOTRO purposes)

But here is the deal with Mirkwood: It is infested with baddies. Even when the elves went out on royal stag hunting quests it was REALLY SUPER DANGEROUS for them. So whatever your character does to keep the peace, he can't keep it completely. Also, dragon slaying. Smaug was the last dragon so like...you'll have to have your character born in the first age (or even before, maybe, depending on just how old you wanna go) but if you do first age you have a lot of historical wars and stuff he could have potentially been involved in. Like, maybe he was one of the marchwardens of Doriath originally and served with Beleg Cuthalion and Mablung. There are nameless elves in those ranks, so it is possible. BUT if you want to have existed in the first age then I am gonna have to agree with all the people who say "read the books" because the best way to really understand all the different happenings is to read The Silmarillion.

If you don't want someone that old you will have to nix the dragon slaying. Doesn't mean your character can't silently run around trying to keep the Elven settlement in Mirkwood as safe as possible! It just means the nature of your deeds is a little more localized. There are always horrible things lurking around needing defeating, particularly the giant spiders. Even if he was alive during the second age, he could have fought during the Last Alliance. MOST of the Mirkwood contingent were separated from the main host and wiped out, but some survived and it seems pretty likely (to me) that the survivors would be a big deal when they returned home.

With regards to the name I believe you can ask in the character creation subforum for naming help, or check out this site. I can tell you are giving a good faith effort for a Sindarin name, but it isn't quite right. but I'm not an expert with the languages so I will leave that to other people.

Let me ask you a serious question... Have you read any of Tolkien's books? It just doesn't sound like you are really familiar with Middle-earth and Middle-earth Elves at all. I think you need to do some serious research. Read The Silmarillion if you can.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

actually fio i read all of them except silmarillion but you should try not to judge people and everyone thanks for your helps.

Just going to chime in a bit here on the names. Elves don't really have family surnames the way we do, their surnames are more like bynames. Legolas' surname is Greenleaf. This isn't a family name, but a Common translation of "Legolas". Other elven surnames would be more like titles and they'd mean things like The Fair, the Strong, of Doriath. But usually an elf has just the one name; since no two Elves share the same given name, there's no need to tell them apart with surnames.

For the rest, I'm just going to agree with Dryope. You have a good basic idea, but it still needs some fuddling to make it sit well with the Lore.
    Also, while Dragons are one in a million drakes are much easier to come by and there are places in-game which are positively infested with them. If your character has done much travelling in the area between Angmar and the North Downs, he could well have worked extensively with the Rangers of Esteldin or the people of Aughire and made a name for himself as a Drake-bane. This retains the slayer-of-fiery-lizards of your original idea, but fits the lore more easily.
    Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre,[right]Mind shall be harder, heart be keener,[/right]
    mod sceal þe mare þe ure maegen lytlað.[right]Spirit be greater as our strength lessens.[/right]

[center][url]http://iranonofarda.wordpress.com[/url][/center]

Too many people want to try to RP nothing but major bad-a**es. Why, I will never understand. But there's only so much room in the world for 5000-year old Cirdan clones and half-Uruk Hai spies for Saruman. We have long since met our quota for both (not to mention every other cliched archetype you can think of).

Quote Originally Posted by kajdskm View Post
    So hey everyone im looking for a background for my elven hunter from mirkwood as the son of legolas but id like to add some actions and situtations in his biography any ideas?
    If you want to role-play a Hunter from Mirkwood and pretend you were raised by Wargs in Hobbiton under a large special tree that gave you special powers to make peoples' heads explode on accident when you get angry, and that you have six fingers on your left hand, and are actually half-dwarf, go right ahead and do your thing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise or belittle you for doing it. Unfortunately, if you want to role-play with others, especially depending on which server you play, expect more comments like those already received. :/

I know this was supposed to be about helping that guy figure out his role play character but I have to take a moment...

Greenleaf is translated into Legolas? His name is Legolas Legolas.... he is Lord of the Ring's very own Moon Moon!

TRoll-Playing

Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post
    Please tell me you're joking, right? My advice, don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elben View Post
    Or in the words of Captain America (aka Captain America): "Son, just don't." ... It's just bad RP etiquette to change the lore so drastically...
    Quote Originally Posted by Runekaster View Post
    Stop. Now. Before you become yet another laughing stock clogging up Bree regional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    Let me ask you a serious question... Have you read any of Tolkien's books? It just doesn't sound like you are really familiar with Middle-earth and Middle-earth Elves at all. I think you need to do some serious research. Read The Silmarillion if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Too many people want to try to RP nothing but major bad-a**es. Why, I will never understand..
    Quote Originally Posted by Katerbug View Post
    I know this was supposed to be about helping that guy figure out his role play character but..
    Comments like these are not helpful, they are not encouraging, they are not tolerant, they are not inspiring, they are not forgiving, and they are not kind. Way to kill a sincere aspirant’s hopes and then overwhelm the same with what amounts to pure dribble. This exemplifies why some people detest role-players. Others remain hesitant to give it a try, or feel the need for some kind of official stamp of approval from the role-playing community. You think non-roleplayers trolling roll-players are annoying? Role-players one-upping other roll-players is an even more unforgivable offense. The original poster’s last response was well over a month ago. Time to move on.

Someone please close this thread!