We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Music dynamics compared post U15

A pre and post U15 playing of the same song. Not the best quality but should show the difference in volume especially for lute and flute.

Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

The flute is so quiet it's overpowered by the other instruments in your second vid which is the 'updated' music system. I'd like to see some sort of eta on a fix for this.
    Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval
    Elven Minstrel of Rivendell
    Member of Sons of Numenor

This is the age of the lute now - the time for the other instruments is over, they should board a ship and vanish ...
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by SchorschiSchrumpf View Post
    This is the age of the lute now - the time for the other instruments is over, they should board a ship and vanish ...
    One lute to rule them all,
    One lute to find them,
    One lute to kill them all,
    And in the darkness...

Take over and make all other instruments suck.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

They did something to bagpipes. The sound is more shrill and piercing. Hurts my eardrums.

Flute is too soft - which has already been pointed out.

Lute overpowers everything and there seems to be a more *plunky* quality to it - almost like they changed the harmonics by substituting the strings and shape. There is a reason a banjo sounds different from an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar sounds different than a 12-string guitar. The lute no longer sounds like a *lute*, it sounds like someone plucking on an electric guitar with no amplifier connected to it. Notes plunk along, but no richness to it, no warmth, no extended sound. Just *plunk* *plunk* *plunk*.

All the above is purely subjective and your ears may be hearing something different. But the bottom line is that the change is horrible and should never have been released.

~~Fionwyn
    Les Beaux Chapeaux
    Landroval

Both Firefern's web tool and Vydor's Java app have the capability to allow you to raise or lower the volume of all notes for an instrument part by a specific amount. For folks using those, knowing which instruments went up or down and by what amount should let you quickly re-export your ABC from your original MIDIs. I know that won't work for folks who don't use the MIDI to ABC approach, but from what I have seen and heard, the majority of folks do.
    Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker

Sorry.. i rearranged some Songs... Flute and Clarinet to max volume and Lute , harp and Drums to about 10-25% of max possible volume... And lute and harp stay to loud.. So forget changing volumes with Maestro and firefen ...it doesnt really work. We need a COMPLETE overhaul of the U15-Live instruments...
    Palantorio Rochalor (bdl.bplaced.net)
    * Frag dich nicht, was deine Sippe für dich tun kann, frag dich was Du für die Sippe tun kannst.. *
    Anführer / Leader : Belegaer - Bewahrer des Lichts
    Leader : Landroval - Notenzauber

Here is another video from the current music system. The lute and flute play at the same ABC volume, +f+. The lute totally dominates.
    Lina Willowwood, biscuit-eating bard on Laurelin
    Hobbit RP? Grand Order of the Lost Mathom
    Songs + videos on me biscuity burrow

Quote Originally Posted by Linawillow View Post

Here is another video from the current music system. The lute and flute play at the same ABC volume, +f+. The lute totally dominates.
    If I didn't know any better, I'd think that whoever was the *brains* behind this update tested only on lute and made no effort to test large arrangements that use most or all of the instruments.

The videos don't lie. Turbine, give us a rollback to the previous music system!

Lina I watched your video and if I did'nt see the musical notes coming from the flute I would have thought someone was just pretending to be playing it. In Keli's second video (with the U15 update) I can't hear the flute at all and very little of the bagpipes because the lute drowns them out. I could hear them fine in the first video. As for people who say just go back and make a few adjustments to your ABC file, I wonder if they realize how many hours someone like Orladan (leader of Bright Star) spent making the long version of "Thick as a Brick" (Had to be done in two parts, 20 minutes each part). Or how many hours I spent making the 17 minute version of "In a Godda Da Vida" Just to get them to sound good in game? Along with others to numerous to mention here who have done some truly amazing songs. After listening to the examples given in this thread I shudder to think what those hours and hours of work sound like now.
    Daylak Darksbane-The drunken drummer of Bright Star
    Landroval
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no cash, no hope and no jobs. Please Eru don't let Kevin Bacon die!

I love me some Orladan. And I love me some Daylak. But considering the situation, I also love me some properly balanced dynamics on instrument sampling. And unfortunately, that isn't the current case.

Turbine, please give me the ammunition to talk to good folks like Orladan and Daylak. Give me the ability to show them that the dynamics between the instruments are "baselined" and going forward they'll have every confidence that +F+ at the low register of the theorbo will have the same decibels as +F+ on the upper register of the bagpipe. And every permeation in-between will be sufficiently balanced.

If this cannot occur.... well... I just can't predict where things will go. But I fear they will be for the worse...
    Lifimun (100 Minstrel) | Band member of Les Beaux Chapeaux | Landroval Server