We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 475
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Listen, just because I don't agree that Helm's Deep "sux," doesn't mean I'm bullying people. I will let you think what you want though. Enjoy.
    Simple answer is to stop posting replies that are unhelpful and just 'get at' other posters isn't it. They posted what they think, you posted what you think, end of! Bullying would mean replying just to argue that other posters are wrong, only a Fanbois or a Troll would do that.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    144
    I will say it again and again.

    I believe that some people get tired of LOTRO playing it for several years. They want to play something else.
    They just need to have a valid reason to quit LOTRO and start with the new game.

    If the game is not updated and nothing is changed these people complains about "there's nothing new" in game, but they don't quit the game yet, because after playing for several years you can't just leave the game out of nowhere. How would you explain the fact that you spent two of three years on something and then suddenly you see that it was a mistake because now you think that the game is not funny anymore.

    But when a new expansion or update is out, they look at it for several minutes, find that some things are changed and they just say: "You broke my lovely game" and they happily quit. Now they have the valid reason. The spent three years on a lovely game, but they can't spent any more time because the lovely game is gone.

    My opinion:
    There's nothing wrong with being bored with the game. No one can play the same game for 20 or 40 years. Only fanatics do that. Majority of people switch from one game to another (from one film to another, from one book to another, from one pop-album to another, etc...) and that's normal.
    What not normal is: why do you people need to justify your quitting? If you get tired of the game, start looking for another one and don't spoil the fun for the other fellows who still having a blast with your "old" game. No one needs your justifications. Just leave please, without saying a word.

    My opinion about Helm's Deep:
    That's something new. Not exactly my style, but I'm still learn it, so I may change my opinion. Moria, The Shire, Angmar is still there, so for those who wants to explore Middle Earth not much has been changed. LOTRO is still LOTRO. I see some changes for high-level people because of a new gear which is now much more powerful. OK, some old instances are now easier to complete. If I need more challenge, I can play 12-man raid solo I guess. The landscape difficulty was already easy and I think it's OK. I don't want to have a challenge killing every single orc in Moria, that would be boring to spend half-hour to just to get from point A to point B. Expansion is OK in my opinion. I'll definitely stay longer with LOTRO because of it.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    17,521
    Well, I put in a little over 4 hours in Eastmade and Edoras. I pretty well love everything but the music. All I heard was the soundtrack from Breeland. I really wish Turbine would have kept Chance Thomas. Great landscape, awesome art direction, excellent storyline, but the music fell face flat.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Well, I put in a little over 4 hours in Eastmade and Edoras. I pretty well love everything but the music. All I heard was the soundtrack from Breeland. I really wish Turbine would have kept Chance Thomas. Great landscape, awesome art direction, excellent storyline, but the music fell face flat.
    Yeah I LOVE this expansion, EXCEPT for the music. The LACK of Change Thomas is really NOTICEABLE! OVERALL it's really good though!

  5. #80
    Ok, am I satisfied?

    No, if I had paid money for this (rather than TP) I would be feeling very ripped off.

    There is simply nothing in HD to even remotely justify the cash expenditure.

    So a few scores out of ten:

    World Design: 10/10
    The one area Turbine continually excel at.
    If the rest of the development team were even half as on the ball as these guys the game would be amazing.

    Quests: 3/10
    Far too linear, far too boring, far too mundane.
    Do I really need to carry three barrels of arms/armour across Underharrow?
    No I don't, but lazy quest designers do need filler.

    Progression: 3/10
    I don't feel like there is any meaningful progression for my character at all.
    I start off considerably nerfed compared to where I was and don't feel I have even regained that lost ground by playing HD.

    Class Redesign: 3/10
    Trait Trees are a retrograde step.
    Classes feel almost automated.
    Tactical choices have been limited.
    Fun factor has been all but destroyed.

    Big Battles: 1/10
    Appalling.
    4th rate C&C Mini-game.
    With no sense of engagement, no sense of being involved at all - much less being involved in a big battle.
    3 year old browser games do the same, but better.

    Epic Story: 2/10
    Ok, its a nice story - but then the Epic Story line always is.
    But its tied in to the weakest part of HD (in fact BB are the weakest part of the entire game) it is really dragged down to a low score; and is no longer "free" as was promised

    I actually feel ripped off having spent free TP on it!

    Now, the only positive side to all this is that as things are tweaked and refined (and they desperately must be or this game is dead in the water) the things MUST improve - because there is actually very little scope for making things any worse.

    All The Best

  6. #81
    -using this expansion would require some hours of testing the different trait trees just to figure out what they do: I am not a min-maxer, so this is neither appealing nor necessary
    -the classes I play have been streamlined into mono-dimensional roles: I do not like to be pigeon-holed into pure tank-pure AoE-pur DPS-healing-..., so it is a raw loss
    -the new trait systems has deleted a number of skills previously available, either overall, or depend only on specialisation: so it is another raw loss
    -the new trait system seems an attempt at porting in a gaming system from another well-known MMO: I play other games, so I do not need to have a copy paste of the rest
    -there is no compelling reason to look for and follow a storyline that has left LotR a long time ago: the lore is just not there anymore apart from some scattered references
    -the more we approach Mordor, the more powerful the gear, the more menial and pedestrian the tasks and "epic" storyline: we started fighting Nazguls, we are now carrying buckets

    My notation will hence only be on
    -the game system which now stands as 3/10 for the elements you kept from the former system
    -story NA cant be motivated to get past the class funnel and finding where my class skills went

    The "community" does not "have to" adjust to the changes, nor "has to" give it a go, that's what WHO, SWTOR, SWG and others thought. It may even share their satisfaction, as well as their perceptions, indifference, sadness or even anger.
    That is what measures the actual involvement of the "community".

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11

    Saddness for Lotro and HD, Its a miss for me

    Hi
    I am 62 years young and had a puter for ever and played on-line games since they have been around. Never ever have I played the game whereby my hero has to clean up/collect dirty plates and other menial task so often in the game play. It tells me that the developer's are either off there heads or run out of ideas.

    When you first of all buy a game and then if it is playable you commit yourself follow it to the bitter end. I do not expect to be doing menial task that mean absolutely nothing, bears no relation with the game or the story what so ever. Now I fail to see the reason for most of this boring stuff in the game. Its not part of the Book,Film or anyway related to having fun.

    Players as far as I know do not want a walk over and be able to solve things in one go as you have made the game. We want a reasonable challenge to use our well earned equipment, weapons and other stuff that makes it possible to defeat a foe. Not to wear an apron and work in a kitchen.

    I also do not want to be ripped off. Tactilely putting up prices so once you go onto HD you pay 5tp for every thing. I have re-evaluate my spending on Lotro, I average a purchase of points 1 or maybe twice a week, I am now moving towards Once a month.

    I am losing many friends to other games because they cant afford or will not pay the sky high prices for not only in priced goods but also expansions.

    Finally, what's with all the NPC's want to talk you to death. Take all that together of what I have said and I made a mistake of buying the expansion. You need new blood at Lotro.(or Turbine)

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbelgarion View Post
    Hi
    I am 62 years young and had a puter for ever and played on-line games since they have been around. Never ever have I played the game whereby my hero has to clean up/collect dirty plates and other menial task so often in the game play. It tells me that the developer's are either off there heads or run out of ideas.

    When you first of all buy a game and then if it is playable you commit yourself follow it to the bitter end. I do not expect to be doing menial task that mean absolutely nothing, bears no relation with the game or the story what so ever. Now I fail to see the reason for most of this boring stuff in the game. Its not part of the Book,Film or anyway related to having fun.

    Players as far as I know do not want a walk over and be able to solve things in one go as you have made the game. We want a reasonable challenge to use our well earned equipment, weapons and other stuff that makes it possible to defeat a foe. Not to wear an apron and work in a kitchen.

    I also do not want to be ripped off. Tactilely putting up prices so once you go onto HD you pay 5tp for every thing. I have re-evaluate my spending on Lotro, I average a purchase of points 1 or maybe twice a week, I am now moving towards Once a month.

    I am losing many friends to other games because they cant afford or will not pay the sky high prices for not only in priced goods but also expansions.

    Finally, what's with all the NPC's want to talk you to death. Take all that together of what I have said and I made a mistake of buying the expansion. You need new blood at Lotro.(or Turbine)
    As this is hardly the first quest that has you doing clean up or menial duties (Pie delivery, postal runs, arrow fetching, tree singing and the list goes on) I would think this is more a general complaint than anything specific towards the game.

    I assume by 5 tp for everything you are talking about the 5 Mithril Coin price for instant travel. I have the perfect solution. Climb on your horse and ride to the quest giver or location. The very thing we did for years before the MC shortcut.

    On your last point, well, you are playing a game that is based on arguably the finest fantasy series of all time. There is a huge story behind most of the happenings in game, and the devs have to assume that not everyone has read the books (I do not mention the movies because the have no affect on the game) If you want a single click "go there and find me 10 rat tails" then this may not be the game for you. Many of this games players are here for the story. We want to hear a speech by Theoden, of Gandalf reflecting on the state of Middle Earth. We still are amazed as we ride up to the Hornburg, one of the most Iconic locations in the series.

    Ask yourself why you are playing this game. For power leveling and gear, or to immerse yourself in Middle Earth.
    Last edited by Datheor; Dec 02 2013 at 07:25 AM.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbelgarion View Post
    Hi
    I am 62 years young and had a puter for ever and played on-line games since they have been around. Never ever have I played the game whereby my hero has to clean up/collect dirty plates and other menial task so often in the game play. It tells me that the developer's are either off there heads or run out of ideas.

    When you first of all buy a game and then if it is playable you commit yourself follow it to the bitter end. I do not expect to be doing menial task that mean absolutely nothing, bears no relation with the game or the story what so ever. Now I fail to see the reason for most of this boring stuff in the game. Its not part of the Book,Film or anyway related to having fun.

    Players as far as I know do not want a walk over and be able to solve things in one go as you have made the game. We want a reasonable challenge to use our well earned equipment, weapons and other stuff that makes it possible to defeat a foe. Not to wear an apron and work in a kitchen.

    I also do not want to be ripped off. Tactilely putting up prices so once you go onto HD you pay 5tp for every thing. I have re-evaluate my spending on Lotro, I average a purchase of points 1 or maybe twice a week, I am now moving towards Once a month.

    I am losing many friends to other games because they cant afford or will not pay the sky high prices for not only in priced goods but also expansions.

    Finally, what's with all the NPC's want to talk you to death. Take all that together of what I have said and I made a mistake of buying the expansion. You need new blood at Lotro.(or Turbine)
    Hello. I'm really just curious what you have to spend 5tp on? I've been playing the expansion for about one week now and have yet to find a single thing that I have to purchase using my Turbine Points.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrendos View Post
    Hello. I'm really just curious what you have to spend 5tp on? I've been playing the expansion for about one week now and have yet to find a single thing that I have to purchase using my Turbine Points.
    Forgive me if I am wrong but he may have meant 5 mithril coins, that is at least what i thought when reading it

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Datheor View Post
    As this is hardly the first quest that has you doing clean up or menial duties (Pie delivery, postal runs, arrow fetching, tree singing and the list goes on) I would think this is more a general complaint than anything specific towards the game.

    I assume by 5 tp for everything you are talking about the 5 Mithril Coin price for instant travel. I have the perfect solution. Climb on your horse and ride to the quest giver or location. The very thing we did for years before the MC shortcut.

    On your last point, well, you are playing a game that is based on arguably the finest fantasy series of all time. There is a huge story behind most of the happenings in game, and the devs have to assume that not everyone has read the books (I do not mention the movies because the have no affect on the game) If you want a single click "go there and find me 10 rat tails" then this may not be the game for you. Many of this games players are here for the story. We want to here a speech by Theoden, of Gandalf reflecting on the state of Middle Earth. We still are amazed as we ride up to the Hornburg, one of the most Iconic locations in the series.

    Ask yourself why you are playing this game. For power leveling and gear, or to immerse yourself in Middle Earth.
    Hmm, no I agree with him. So far this expansion feels like a regurgitation of quests. I wanted to stop playing after the 2nd regurgitation in edoras, but kept thinking it would stop. By the 20th regurgitation i was dumbfounded. I forced myself to continue, but really, he is correct.

    There are only a few story related quests, yet lots and lots of old regurgitated quest. It is very sad. Warners, shame on you!!

    Again, there is no one at the helm. Who signed off on these quests, dont let the door hit you on the rear on your way out!

    And his point about the expense of those new coins, thats just crazy how expensive they are. Which leads to other game choices.

    All combined complaints from this expansion leads to no more lotro really. Too bad, I too loved lotro, yes some places were horribly grindy and silly, but usually the better quests content made up for that. But now? nope.

    Waiting since 1964 to see the movie, to this is so sad. Warner hasnt handled this game very well, too bad.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbelgarion View Post
    Hi
    I am 62 years young and had a puter for ever and played on-line games since they have been around. Never ever have I played the game whereby my hero has to clean up/collect dirty plates and other menial task so often in the game play. It tells me that the developer's are either off there heads or run out of ideas.

    When you first of all buy a game and then if it is playable you commit yourself follow it to the bitter end. I do not expect to be doing menial task that mean absolutely nothing, bears no relation with the game or the story what so ever. Now I fail to see the reason for most of this boring stuff in the game. Its not part of the Book,Film or anyway related to having fun.

    Players as far as I know do not want a walk over and be able to solve things in one go as you have made the game. We want a reasonable challenge to use our well earned equipment, weapons and other stuff that makes it possible to defeat a foe. Not to wear an apron and work in a kitchen.

    I also do not want to be ripped off. Tactilely putting up prices so once you go onto HD you pay 5tp for every thing. I have re-evaluate my spending on Lotro, I average a purchase of points 1 or maybe twice a week, I am now moving towards Once a month.

    I am losing many friends to other games because they cant afford or will not pay the sky high prices for not only in priced goods but also expansions.

    Finally, what's with all the NPC's want to talk you to death. Take all that together of what I have said and I made a mistake of buying the expansion. You need new blood at Lotro.(or Turbine)
    I understand and agree with most of what you say. I, too, am extremely disappointed in HD.

    I feel that it was rushed out the door with many flaws especially the Trait Tree system which is the only really character development/improvement change.

    I was appalled that there was no Warsteed improvement.

    The quests seems boring and nothing more than warmed over quest lines from previous xpacs.

    My main, a Hunter, is approaching L95 and most of the quest equipment rewards he has received are pathetic.

    Personally I am going to get my Hunter to L95 and finish the epic line then barring some major changes or indication of changes by Turbine, I will be putting LOTRO on the shelf permanently. I have been a subscriber since the start up of the original game and a paying customer since FTP went live. I have spent a lot in the store since its start. But... it looks to me like LOTRO is circling the drain and it is time for me to say goodbye to what was once a great game. Also I have already warned a number of friends who were contemplating returning to the game to save their money.

  13. #88
    I like the Trees, but way too much menial ####, I do not expect to log in for a bit of escapism and then have to mend a fence, c'mon.

  14. #89

    Big Battles and Expansion Missed opportunity? involving mounted Combat (poss spoilers)

    So after playing through the combat I have to say the expansion quest's are not that bad and its quite nice to see how we get involved in the evacuation of rohan to meet their fate at Helms deep. Now as we know LOTRO does landscaping so well (and yep nothing missed here) but what I feel is missed is this new big battle mechanic which replaces in all intended purposes traditional raids.

    So why am I commenting? its how a large opportunity is missed towards the end of the epic chain and big battles in general. The expansion is titled 'Helms deep' but we do not participate in one of the crowing elements in the big battles when helms deep is saved by the forces of rohan with their epic charge to ride to the king. We do see a glimpse in the 'sessionplay' but nothing actually takes part in a big battle (which is what this expansion is all about). So its a huge shame that nothing including mounted combat wasn't added in a big battle or upon completion we didn't see the riders scatter the enemy with some better conclusion. Imagine that in one final big battle you have the chance to ride into waves of orcs on your mounts with the goal to save your people? Big battles in my own opinion are skirmish 2.0 (encounters, marks/medallion rewards etc) so much more could of been done!!

    I know many are complaining about the expensive price tag for the expansion and how there are no traditional raids/skirmishes but for me its an opportunity missed.

    Many thanks!

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Surrounded by familiar faces, worn out places... worn out places..
    Posts
    488
    This is what I missed too. I had hoped that there would be something like "mount your war-steed and charge with the King", but it didn't happen. Would have been cool.

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Honvikuk View Post
    So its a huge shame that nothing including mounted combat wasn't added in a big battle or upon completion we didn't see the riders scatter the enemy with some better conclusion. Imagine that in one final big battle you have the chance to ride into waves of orcs on your mounts with the goal to save your people?


    Given how much it lags when you're riding alone on a plain, I doubt that'd be technically feasible. And given how much attention was given to many aspects of the expansion (in intention anyway) I'll bet the devs did consider that possibility.

  17. #92
    I have to agree to a large degree. I don't mind cleaning plates during festivals (Winterheim). I didn't mind (that much) doing totally menial tasks when my characters were below a certain level. But ... I have now fought against Orcs with Eomer, stood shoulder to shoulder with Kings, princes and other great leaders ... I honestly do not think the folks of Rohan would ask Eomer or Aragorn or even Hama to water their crops and de-weed their fields ...

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Deepest, darkest Essex
    Posts
    3,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Datheor View Post
    On your last point, well, you are playing a game that is based on arguably the finest fantasy series of all time. There is a huge story behind most of the happenings in game, and the devs have to assume that not everyone has read the books (I do not mention the movies because the have no affect on the game) If you want a single click "go there and find me 10 rat tails" then this may not be the game for you. Many of this games players are here for the story. We want to here a speech by Theoden, of Gandalf reflecting on the state of Middle Earth. We still are amazed as we ride up to the Hornburg, one of the most Iconic locations in the series.
    I play lotro for that very reason - to engage in a living, breathing representation of Middle Earth and to take part in the events portrayed both in the books but also conjoured by the imaginations of the game designers.

    Which is why on the whole I enjoyed the quests so far (3/4 of the way through Stonedeans), it is also both disappointing & frustrating to come across quests that involve fetching, carrying & cleaning up. My character is mean to be a hero, the Lord of the Ashen Wastes who overthrew Mordirith, the victor of Thaulach, Scourge of Khazad Dum and I can go on and on. Do we really have to serve food and clean up rubbish after others? Yes I know that Merry & Pippin waited on the guests at the victory feast at the field of Cormallen, but they only had to do that once

    However, it was great to come across Madh-fushaum in the Stonedeans. At last an open air zone with some elites that are not warbands. More of these please and less of the chambre-maid duties!
    Because SOA was damn site better than what we have in today's LOTRO.
    (This signature space could be yours on short term leases. Contact me for details and rates!!)

  19. #94
    I certainly did not enjoy being Eowyn's errand boy for sure but it kind of fit the story at that point. What bothered me was the loose ends. At least twice we are trying to find a traitor in the ranks and both times its all but forgotten. And I want to completely forget epic 13.8 that should have been epic and it was more annoying than epic. I also did not care for that fact that not one quest even the fellowship quests were anything but a joke. I want to have to work my tail off to beat some npc not have every fight be a foregone conclusion. I would suggest for the future that the solo instances be tailored to your class to provide a solid challenge. Tanks seem to be able to steamroll any content even more so now with the threat changes given us respectable dps when in tank gear. It is sad that I can in most cases go get something to drink in the middle of a fight and know I won't be defeated while afk.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11

    Saddness for Lotro and HD, Its a miss for me

    Datheor I apologise for the slip between TP and Mytheral coins. As I can see you have not read the works of JR Tolkien or I am surprised if you claim to have done as I make the following points 1 This game is only loosely like the book. 2. The maps used are nothing like the book a tall. 3. There are places,characters,creatures and fool hardy story's that are in Warner's brain other JR Tolkien. That is besides the point.

    The points I made were of my impression of the expansion not anyone else's. In fact I could have gone on a lot longer but that would detract from those points I wanted to make.

    Warner/Turbine/Lotro really want to make there mind up as to are they going to produce quality or just make more money out of the players. I can assure you that there is not much more of a tale to tell and the players might not be there to play and pay them.

    Finally just to remind you this is only after all a game. A game to be enjoy by one and all as I have done up to this expansion. They can carry the tale on beyond Tolkien for me, invent more stuff and I will pay to play IF IT WORTH PAYING

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbelgarion View Post
    Datheor I apologise for the slip between TP and Mytheral coins. As I can see you have not read the works of JR Tolkien or I am surprised if you claim to have done as I make the following points 1 This game is only loosely like the book. 2. The maps used are nothing like the book a tall. 3. There are places,characters,creatures and fool hardy story's that are in Warner's brain other JR Tolkien. That is besides the point.
    You see no such thing. I have read most of the Professor's work, and re-read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit yearly, but I am also a realist. A game based strictly on the books would be very linear, and be more of a movie than a game. The maps you see now are quite a bit more stylized than the book, but this was not always the case. Also, the maps drawn by Professor Tolkien and others are, except for a few, very "high altitude" points of view. As for the places, characters and creatures, I refer you back to my first point. Short of playing the main characters, Turbine has no choice but to expand the story. And before you ask, no, playing the main characters would not work. unless you could rationalize 5,000 Legolas characters running around.

    I personally like exploring areas that are only hinted at, such as Evendim, Esteldin, the Lone Lands and the Trollshaws. Some of these are simply names on a map, and maybe a sentence in the books. Now, we get to wander through the areas and poke our noses in all the corners. Sure, they had to take some poetic license. And there have been missteps along the way. Bound to happen. All in all, I am quite satisfied. I you are looking for a 1:1 representation of Middle Earth, you may have better luck in a single player game.
    Last edited by Datheor; Dec 01 2013 at 09:34 AM.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,680
    Forgive my bluntness, but I think some have forgotten what this game is about. It is about getting a chance to immerse yourself in the stories of Middle Earth. And, given that this is an MMO, that does not mean every quest needs to involve combat. If you are expecting a game where combat is all you ever do, go play some other game. I enjoy the combat portions of the game. But, I also get the point of the "menial" tasks. Those menial tasks give you a chance to interact with the characters that populate Middle Earth in a way that killing more orcs doesn't.

    The really "good" heroes are not just the ones who can go slay 1000 orcs, climb the mountain, and slay the dragon. The true heroes are the ones humble enough to stop and help that old lady with a few tasks so she can feel safe at night. *You* are there to help quell the fears and worries of the people you meet. Sure, they will be grateful that you slew that entire orc camp. But, you are also the person they look to for hope in these dark times. While picking up boar droppings may not be the most satisfying task, doing so gives hope to those who are just trying to survive.

    In the case of all the minor tasks around Edoras, you need to keep in mind that these people have just been told to evacuate the "capital" and seek shelter elsewhere. There is a lot to do to get all those people ready to leave. Again, you may dislike having to clean up dishes, but it does help move things along and remove an extra burden from people who are preparing for the War of the Ring to come to their very doorstep.

    Again, if you don't appreciate the kind of immersion that can frequently involve a lot of minor tasks... well, then I suppose this game isn't for you.
    [i]Nothing can seem extraordinary until you have discovered what is ordinary.[/i] - C.S. Lewis
    =
    [i]Saruman believes it is only great power that keeps evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things... the actions of ordinary folk... that keeps the darkness at bay.[/i] - Gandalf

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Decatur, AL
    Posts
    5,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Datheor View Post
    You see no such thing. I have read most of the Professor's work, and re-read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit yearly, but I am also a realist. A game based strictly on the books would be very linear, and be more of a movie than a game. The maps you see now are quite a bit more stylized than the book, but this was not always the case. Also, the maps drawn by Professor Tolkien and others are, except for a few, very "high altitude" points of view. As for the places, characters and creatures, I refer you back to my first point. Short of playing the main characters, Turbine has no choice but to expand the story. And before you ask, no playing the main characters would not work. unless you could rationalize 5,000 Legolas characters running around.

    I personally like exploring areas that are only hinted at, such as Evendim, Esteldin, the Lone Lands and the Trollshaws. Some of these are simply names on a map, and maybe a sentence in the books. Now, we get to wander through the areas and poke our noses in all the corners. Sure, they had to take some poetic license. And there have been missteps along the way. Bound to happen. All in all, I am quite satisfied. I you are looking for a 1:1 representation of Middle Earth, you may have better luck in a single player game.
    Perhaps this one?

    On a more serious note, agreed 100%. Forochel is one of my favorite areas because you can see the effort that was made to flesh out an area that was only briefly mentioned in the books, yet stay true to Tolkien's style. There are plenty of rabid lore-monkeys at Turbine, and I think they've done a fantastic job of bringing Tolkien's world to life above and beyond the confines of the stories themselves, especially with the limitations of what they have the rights to. From the peaceful, relaxing quests in the Shire, to the excitement of doing a war-band raid tour in Wildermore, I love the immersion of this game.
    GL DLR ASTO MRVVAOK? KPXD PREOG...

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    I enjoy the combat portions of the game. But, I also get the point of the "menial" tasks. Those menial tasks give you a chance to interact with the characters that populate Middle Earth in a way that killing more orcs doesn't.

    The really "good" heroes are not just the ones who can go slay 1000 orcs, climb the mountain, and slay the dragon. The true heroes are the ones humble enough to stop and help that old lady with a few tasks so she can feel safe at night. *You* are there to help quell the fears and worries of the people you meet. Sure, they will be grateful that you slew that entire orc camp. But, you are also the person they look to for hope in these dark times. While picking up boar droppings may not be the most satisfying task, doing so gives hope to those who are just trying to survive.
    This reminds me of what Atwald, the melancholy minstrel in Edoras, says when you accept a request from an elderly lady: "Come now...truly? This is your heroic work? It is dirty, I grant you, and boring too..." After helping the lady, he changes his tune (pun intended): "I have learned today that heroism takes many forms." (Apologies if I spoiled that for anyone.)

    Anyway, I personally don't mind, since my character, not me, is doing the dirty work!
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // [url=http://plus.google.com/b/113811507425749946527/113811507425749946527/]Google+[/url] // [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/118267325683028810591/ScholarResourceMaps?noredirect=1"]Scholar Resource Maps[/URL] // [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/118267325683028810591/WestGondorTreasureCaches?noredirect=1"]West Gondor Treasure Cache Maps[/URL]
    Many hands make light work; please help update the [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/"]LOTRO Wiki[/URL]!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

  25. #100
    I don't post much any more, and I really don't have too big a gripe with the complete waste of time spent changing the skill system. The really bad part of this expansion is how skill tree points are earned. Forcing players to do complete quest lines to earn skill points is stripping them of all freedom of action within the game. Points should be awarded by level. That's it. Now it's a complete waste to even bother with an alternate character because you have to do the exact same things with it as you did with your main in order to earn skill points. All choices are gone. If you don't complete a quest line, you don't get the point. While a point here and there might not matter too much now, in a few years it will. Most folks have many alternate characters and having to do the exact same thing with each one you level will kill this game quicker then anything else. Thumbs down to the skill tree point allocation plan.

    Right now most folks swap to their alternates when they run out of stuff to do with their mains. I can't imagine anyone wanting to scrub dishes over and over again (like some terrible nightmare) with their alternate characters.

 

 
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload